Forum Jump: 
 23Likes

post #1 of 124 Old 01-23-2014, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor releases September 30 on the PS4 and November 18 on the PS3.

Quote:
In Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor, you take on the role of Talion, a valiant ranger whose family is slain the night Sauron and his army return to Mordor, moments before his own life is taken. Resurrected by a Spirit of vengeance and empowered with Wraith abilities, Talion ventures into Mordor and vows to destroy those who have wronged him. Through the course of Talion’s personal vendetta, you will uncover the truth of the Spirit that compels you, learn the origins of the Rings of Power and ultimately confront your true nemesis.

Here's a look at the gameplay for this really good looking Lord of the Rings title. The death animations are surprisingly brutal:

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

Last edited by joeblow; 09-26-2014 at 05:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 124 Old 01-23-2014, 09:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 93
I could see myself getting this. Video had me a little non plussed until the 2:30+ mark. I was never excited about previous LOTR games, mostly of the Real Time Strategy genre, but this looks like a good rendition. Looks like Assasin's creed 4 with some fallout and God of War mixed in.

Warning: I make a lot of mistakes but occasionally I learn from them!
post #3 of 124 Old 01-23-2014, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 209
DAMNIT JOE! Beat me to it.

Read the gameinformer on this and thought, "Sounds cool", but after seeing the video that relates to the article I can def add this to my must buy list. Has an Assassins Creed vibe to it, curious to see how the open world looks and works. The nemesis system is something that could make this gen of games spectacular especially in the RPG realm. Can't wait for this!

PSN & XBL: Epyon415
Twitch.tv: http://www.twitch.tv/epyon415
Twitter: @gundumgaming
YouTube Gameplay Videos
post #4 of 124 Old 01-23-2014, 10:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 561
The lead guy from Assassin's Creed 2 is saying they stole assets for this game. It should be interesting to watch it all unfold.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #5 of 124 Old 01-24-2014, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

The lead guy from Assassin's Creed 2 is saying they stole assets for this game. It should be interesting to watch it all unfold.
0:49 to 1:15. Yeah I buy that. Totally.
post #6 of 124 Old 01-24-2014, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 737
you can see the batman influence..
post #7 of 124 Old 01-24-2014, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epyon415 View Post

DAMNIT JOE! Beat me to it.

Read the gameinformer on this and thought, "Sounds cool", but after seeing the video that relates to the article I can def add this to my must buy list. Has an Assassins Creed vibe to it, curious to see how the open world looks and works. The nemesis system is something that could make this gen of games spectacular especially in the RPG realm. Can't wait for this!

I don't know, man - this seems awfully... complicated. There is a LOT going on, maybe a little too much for my feeble mind. My head was spinning just trying to keep up with all the mechanics he was telling us about, and that was just an 8-minute video.

"Where's the Imp???" "SHUTUP!!"

post #8 of 124 Old 01-24-2014, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman7w View Post

I don't know, man - this seems awfully... complicated. There is a LOT going on, maybe a little too much for my feeble mind. My head was spinning just trying to keep up with all the mechanics he was telling us about, and that was just an 8-minute video.

The game informer piece does a better job, i think, of explaining it. It will be interesting to see how they execute the nemesis system as enemies are supposed to remember you and grow from it. If you spare them, maybe they become a more brutal killer, if you kill an orc leader, his replacement might be someone who is worse or softer. How they will manage to keep that in place, build on it and apply it to a large scale world (w/o possibly having a repetitive system) could likely determine it's success. Cool concept regardless.

PSN & XBL: Epyon415
Twitch.tv: http://www.twitch.tv/epyon415
Twitter: @gundumgaming
YouTube Gameplay Videos
post #9 of 124 Old 01-24-2014, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epyon415 View Post

The game informer piece does a better job, i think, of explaining it. It will be interesting to see how they execute the nemesis system as enemies are supposed to remember you and grow from it. If you spare them, maybe they become a more brutal killer, if you kill an orc leader, his replacement might be someone who is worse or softer. How they will manage to keep that in place, build on it and apply it to a large scale world (w/o possibly having a repetitive system) could likely determine it's success. Cool concept regardless.

I'll be curious to see how all this advanced AI will run on a PS3, or if they have to make any gameplay compromises in the ported version, or if it will in fact be dumbed down for all systems (i.e., not as robust as its seeming promise in these early videos) to run on last gen systems.
post #10 of 124 Old 01-24-2014, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 561
It is cross gen!? Just let the 360 and PS3 go already and code for the newer consoles.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #11 of 124 Old 01-24-2014, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:

It is cross gen!? Just let the 360 and PS3 go already and code for the newer consoles.

Not gonna start happening till next year.

Heck, the PS3/PS4 may continue to get cross gen games for another 2 or 3 years, the way Sony supports their consoles. And remember, 3rd world countries are just now moving over to the PS3 en masse, so there is a whole new audience to market to there.

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
post #12 of 124 Old 01-24-2014, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:

Already listed on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Middle-Earth-Shadow-Mordor-PlayStation-3/dp/B00GMFKYIU/ref=sr_1_1_title_3?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1390605767&sr=1-1&keywords=middle+earth+shadow+of+mordor
post #13 of 124 Old 01-25-2014, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 832
Quote:

Good luck with that. Games are always derivative works, and I highly doubt actual code or assets have "been stolen". It's going to sound like sour grapes if there's no proof of real wrongdoing.

Anyways, trailer looks good, studio has some pretty good work behind them, and surprisingly it looks like they're not just using the IP to deliver something quick and dirty. Gonna have to keep my eye on this, as the enemy faction system looks really neat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monolith_Productions
post #14 of 124 Old 01-25-2014, 04:02 PM

Liked: 25
Man this game looks cool and reminds me of Legacy Of Kain: Soul Reaver (which is a good thing because I LOVE Soul Reaver)

Those Who Attempt To Destroy Me, Shall Be Obliterated!!

Megatron
post #15 of 124 Old 01-25-2014, 06:35 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Looks nice, as above, even if I´m a LOTR fan, it´s the first time I´m interested in a LOTR based game, wink.gif
post #16 of 124 Old 04-02-2014, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 102
New Story Trailer here. Release Date 10/7/14.

PSN: CrashLanding (please ID requests as AVS)
post #17 of 124 Old 07-25-2014, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 629
Don't know if this is good news or not, but the release date moved forward to Sept. 30.
post #18 of 124 Old 07-25-2014, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
cool,never excited about previous LOTR games, mostly of the Real Time Strategy genre, but this looks like a good rendition. Looks like Assasin's creed 4 with some fallout and God of War mixed in.[IMG]http://*******/mTg8QS[/IMG]thanks
post #19 of 124 Old 09-25-2014, 11:10 PM

4 days until release. Doesn't look like a huge level of interest here though!

post #20 of 124 Old 09-25-2014, 11:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mnemonic View Post
4 days until release. Doesn't look like a huge level of interest here though!
Yeah, I noticed the buzz died down as release day nears. Not a good sign, I guess.

Gonna wait for reviews on this one.
post #21 of 124 Old 09-26-2014, 02:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Here ya go....

Gamespot: 8.0

IGN: 9.3

Gamesradar: 9.0

Game Informer: 8.25
DaverJ and Johnny Mnemonic like this.

post #22 of 124 Old 09-26-2014, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I will be buying this game. Might even download it as this seems like one of those games I'll come back to randomly every year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PSN ID: javant86

post #23 of 124 Old 09-26-2014, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 102
It does look promising, just like an AC game but with better combat. Will be lining this one up as a used purchase, probably after the holidays when the prices drop some.

PSN: CrashLanding (please ID requests as AVS)
post #24 of 124 Old 09-26-2014, 03:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 169
I have wanted to play this one since first seeing it and it does look good but if it controls like AC (as implied) then it has lost my purchase.

Jason
post #25 of 124 Old 09-26-2014, 03:51 PM

I got it on pre-order and will pick it up day 1. Kinda getting tired of Destiny. It's fun to play with friends and all, but when you play the same missions just with more/stronger enemies so you get a chance at some slightly better gear... it just gets boring.

I'm OK with the general assassin's creed parkour game play, but am more drawn to the LOTR environment and the various faction gameplay seems like an awesome twist. Just please no, endless sychronation points so I know where to find random feathers or chests.

post #26 of 124 Old 09-26-2014, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

The Sony blog details 10 things about the game that potential players may find interesting:

Quote:
1.) Explore an Open-world at Your Leisure
After the introduction of Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor, Talion and the wraith are set loose to rain death and destruction down upon Sauron’s forces. Story missions are highlighted in gold on the map, and you can undertake those challenges at your leisure. But Shadow of Mordor invites you to explore, take your time, and select the activities that you feel most drawn to.

2.) Varied Combat, Not for the Faint of Heart
The combat system in Shadow of Mordor empowers you with choice. Talion has a number of different attacks, born from both his skills as a Ranger and also his connection to the wraith. He can counter incoming strikes, roll over the backs of his opponents, and stun them with a burst of ghostly magic. But even with all this power, Talion is just one man, and he can be overwhelmed by larger groups. Exercise caution, act quickly, and Talion can dispatch mighty foes.

3.) Employ Stealth and Magic
Although the combat system in Shadow of Mordor has plenty to offer, you can leverage Talion’s stealthy abilities to eliminate watchful archers, straggling sentries, or unguarded captains. Talion can vault up walls and along tall ledges to reach advantageous positions behind enemy lines, and leap down upon unsuspecting targets with a deadly flourish. Spotted? Use elf-like speed to escape in a blur of shadows.

4.) A Unique Army Stands Against You
The captains of Sauron’s army will differ from player to player, their strengths and weaknesses evolving dynamically as the enemy ranks shift. Gather intel by probing the minds of Sauron’s forces and then target captains with secret knowledge. Or brand influential soldiers with the wraith’s mark, corrupting the dark legions from within.

5.) Gather Runes to Build a Legend
Powerful enemies, including Sauron’s captains, may drop runes that can be etched into Talion’s sword, dagger, and bow. These runes act as loot in Shadow of Mordor, producing many beneficial effects that can be collected and tweaked to suit your favorite style of play. The more powerful the opponent, the more devastating the rune. Build an arsenal of these ethereal marks and build Talion’s legend.

6.) Defy Death, Wield Great Power
The developers at Monolith have gone to great lengths to make you feel powerful through Talion’s Ranger abilities and the wraith’s influence. Fire shadowy arrows across long distances or unleash combos impossible for mortal men. Even when Talion is “defeated” by an enemy, he is simply resurrected at the nearest tower of the wraith, even stronger than before.

7.) Entertaining Diversions Await
Though Talion is focused on his goal of vengeance, side missions fill the map and provide Talion with another method to build experience. Free slaves, clear guards from fortified positions, hunt local beasts for sport, or collect medicinal herbs to ensure his survival.

8.) Uncover Hidden Relics
The crumbling ruins and jagged peaks of Mordor house a trove of ancient relics, hidden to mortal eyes. Use the wraith’s power to enter the world of shadow and track these forgotten treasures. Study them to reveal memories imprinted upon the items — conversations long past that provide insight into Middle-earth’s history.

9.) Learn the Lore of Mordor
Meeting a new hero, exploring a new location, and even collecting a wild herb open detailed entries in Shadow of Mordor’s appendix. These images and text give remarkable insight into the larger world of Lord of the Rings and provide a palpable sense of realness to even the most minute detail.

10.) Challenge the Blood Hunters and Flesh Burners
Skilled in bow and blade? Face the master assassins known as the Blood Hunters, or do battle with the elite archers of the Flesh Burners. These challenges award Talion with powerful runes for his weaponry, and both missions are exclusive to PS4.
DaverJ likes this.

post #27 of 124 Old 09-27-2014, 01:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Too bloody for me, but the rest of it looks great. If anyone gets it, can you check to see if you can turn the gore/blood level down?
post #28 of 124 Old 09-27-2014, 06:50 AM

Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfoltz View Post
Too bloody for me, but the rest of it looks great. If anyone gets it, can you check to see if you can turn the gore/blood level down?

Will do. I plan on picking this up day one so I'll check out the settings for you.

PSN ID: javant86

post #29 of 124 Old 09-27-2014, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 105
I'm fired up for this - can't wait to pick it up. Unfortunately, I'll be on a plane Wednesday to Nashville for the rest of the week.

Next weekend though!

"Where's the Imp???" "SHUTUP!!"

post #30 of 124 Old 09-27-2014, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamouflage View Post
Will do. I plan on picking this up day one so I'll check out the settings for you.

Great. Thank you.
Reply PlayStation Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page