Anyone here own both systems ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 37 Old 02-10-2014, 05:54 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I have a PS4 but the kids want a One - can anyone tell me if it's worth it to have both ?

Is there a drop off in frame rate quality and graphics. ?

Thx

Panny 55St60
Panny 55St50(gaming)
Sony 55 NX720
Samsung 42 Hpt(Plasma)
Panny 32Viera LCD (TX)
Klipsch surround
Denon HDMI Receiver
Bose Solo
Playstation4(BF4,Madden,Ghosts,NFS,KZ,FIFA)
XBox360
Ipad 1 & 2
Iphone 5S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 02-10-2014, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I have both.
I don't think there is a reason to drop money on both systems "yet".

I don't think you will really notice any difference unless you are playing side by side.

I did have ACIV on both systems and it looked noticeably sharper on the PS4.
post #3 of 37 Old 02-10-2014, 06:53 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have both as well. Purchased a Ps4 at launch and then a Xbox one late January. I don't play my PS4 as much but only because I've only had the xbox one for 2 weeks so its still a new toy.

I have a 10 year old that is interested in the kinect games but would rather play Madden on the PS4 more than anything.

As far as games and graphics comparison:
I've had BF4 on both systems. It's definitely sharper on the PS4 but my friends play on the Xbox. The graphical difference once playing multiplayer is not very noticeable.

Forza 5 looks great and is fun.

The kinect functions have be very wonky, and I do not take advantage of the tv integration since my media cabinet is upstairs (50'+) and there is not a kinect extension yet.

The Xbox one controller range is definitely not any better than the ps4. They both stink.

I don't regret buying either system and I know the games and UI updates will get better.
post #4 of 37 Old 02-10-2014, 07:07 AM

Liked: 14
I only have both systems because I don't want to miss out on the exclusive titles. As with the previous generation, I will read the reviews to see if there are any advantages of buying a title for one system over another.
post #5 of 37 Old 02-10-2014, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 474
I don't think there is a reason to have both systems this gen at all. Maybe some exclusives but even then not really with the cost unless your flush with time and money. Last gen there were clear hardware and software differences that made having both appealing but this gen not much at all except exclusives. Doesn't matter what side of the fence your on either. What does make sense is to have a last gen console and a next gen. Both companies had better TV support last gen and are offering last gen freebies plus the paid accounts on both sides roll up.
post #6 of 37 Old 02-10-2014, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicFlair View Post

I have a PS4 but the kids want a One - can anyone tell me if it's worth it to have both ?

Thx

Well for multiplat games there is a large disparity in graphics for many titles (sometimes framerate, sometimes resolution, sometiomes both.. plus other things like particle effects, etc). So if you do get both, just stick with the PS4 versions for multiplatform games.

Here is a chart that indicates resolutions and framerates. This doesn't track differences in texture quality, special effects and other things that can be different on some games. For example going by the chart you might think NBA 2k14 is the same on both when if fact the PS4 version has better graphics due to the article only covering framerate and resolution which are indeed the same on both.

http://www.ign.com/wikis/xbox-one/PS4_vs._Xbox_One_Native_Resolutions_and_Framerates
post #7 of 37 Old 02-10-2014, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Missed the kids part on my initial read. They won't care about any of the things your asking about. Their friends have xbones and that's why they want one. No reasoning with that.
post #8 of 37 Old 02-10-2014, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Great info & perspective guys - I really appreciate it .

Panny 55St60
Panny 55St50(gaming)
Sony 55 NX720
Samsung 42 Hpt(Plasma)
Panny 32Viera LCD (TX)
Klipsch surround
Denon HDMI Receiver
Bose Solo
XBox360
Ipad 1 & 2
Iphone 5S
post #9 of 37 Old 02-10-2014, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Great info & perspective guys - I really appreciate it .

On the minus side its another $500 but on the plus side they won't be hogging your stuff wink.gif
freemeat likes this.
post #10 of 37 Old 02-10-2014, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 128
i have both (for another 24 hours. the xbox is on ebay). I will buy it again when the price drops and Halo 5 is out. Titanfall looks like a lot of fun as well.

they are both great but the mutiplats are better on PS4. I have played BF4 on both and it looks significantly better on the PS4. im also going to be playing other Multiplats like The Witcher, Destiney, MGSV, The Division etc. These are almost certain to run better on the PS4 as well, so thats why im staying with the PS4 for now.

Of course its best to have both so you dont miss any exclusives, but right now i can only have one of them.
freemeat likes this.

PS4 PSNID = The-Barbeerian
post #11 of 37 Old 02-10-2014, 11:52 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked: 770
I have both systems. I get more use from both my XBOnes right now but that is also because of the HDMI input. So I am using both of the XBOnes every day. Of the games I've played over the last few weeks, I've played more on my PS4 during that time period. But I've been off and on sick with a respiratory infection and then Bronchitis. So I really haven't played all that much for the last five weeks.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #12 of 37 Old 02-10-2014, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Both systems?

*The Wii U sobs*

"Damn, you can't get black levels like that on your projector!"
- My brother, just before he realized his LED display had died.

Link to my Basement build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1529034/conspiracy-basement-build
post #13 of 37 Old 02-10-2014, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conspiracy* View Post

Both systems?

*The Wii U sobs*

Sad but true, the Wii just isn't relevant. I kind of laugh to myself everytime someone says both systems and leaves it out.
post #14 of 37 Old 02-10-2014, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I own both systems mainly because each has exclusive franchises that I like. If there are exclusive Xbox games that you or your kids enjoy then go for it as that will most likely be the only way to play them. As to performance, The PS4 definitely has had the advantage with multiplatform games like Assassin's Creed: Black Flag and Call of Duty: Ghosts out of the gate but titles like Ryse: Son of Rome show that the Xbox One has plenty of power under the hood and I'm sure its only a matter of time before more developers learn how to better tap into it.
post #15 of 37 Old 02-10-2014, 05:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 235
I have owned both consoles since their respective launches, and to me they are completely different experiences. I've found myself playing the Xbox more simply because it's on all the time (TV integration). If it's halftime during a sporting event, I can switch over to a game in a matter of seconds. I also love the snap features (being able to check my NFL fantasy scores while watching the game was great).

The PS4 is a pure gaming machine, which I can appreciate. However, until the good exclusives come out that means it's mostly collecting dust. I didn't like KZ at all, Resogun kept me entertained for awhile but was short-lived, and AC IV just didn't grab my attention (I know I need to give that game another chance though).

Since I don't play a lot of multiplatform games (COD, BF, and GTA have never really interested me), I'm glad to own both for the exclusives. Despite all the chatter on the internet about the disparities in framerates, resolution, etc, I have no concerns. Ryse is still the best-looking game I've played on either platform, and I have no doubts that developers will get better at optimizing games for the X1. A couple of developers have already said as much.

Anyhow, I've probably played more games in the last two months than I did the previous two YEARS, so I'm a happy born-again gamer. biggrin.gif
post #16 of 37 Old 02-10-2014, 06:23 PM

I recently purchased both systems. Got the Xbox1 for a nice discount. wink.gif

I play more on the PS4 (COD) and like the controller much better than the Xbox1. I do have Kontrol Freeks on both which IMO make the controllers ALOT better for me. The sticks on both controllers are way too short.

I have my my plasma and Direct TV box hooked up to my Xbox1. It's a cool feature, but not one I purchased it for. It was more just for having the "other" system. I have BF4 and Forza. Both are cool games to have. The other thing with having the TV and box hooked up to the Xbox1 is that I had to show the family how to use it which really just makes things harder when all they had to do was just use the box remote.

I'm glad I got both systems. It creates ALOT of variety for me.
post #17 of 37 Old 02-11-2014, 12:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 169
I honestly did not want to buy either console at launch (initially grabbed an Xone on a whim and returned it) but my wife said let's just get the purchases out of the way now knowing we'll want to play all the great games that come along, you can't do that if you only pick one. wink.gif

Of course the die hard gamer in me said I had to have them at launch but I was content to wait for the big games that I really want to play and figured I would pick up each system when a game I could not miss became available. rolleyes.gif

I have already had loads of fun on both consoles and feel very fortunate to have married a one in a million woman that understands the need for shiny new toys.

Besides that a true gamer plays everything, well everything except the WiiU of course. wink.gif

Jason
post #18 of 37 Old 02-11-2014, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 287
I just got the ps4 yesterday to go along with my day one XB1. I am loving both systems.

XBL: xGunner26x

PSN: AMER1CAN_GUNNER

Steam: xGunner26x

post #19 of 37 Old 02-11-2014, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Owned both since launch.

PS4
CoD Ghosts
Need for speed
AC 4
Will buy KZ4

XBox One
Ryse
Forza 5
Marvel superheroes

Enjoying both. Love the multimedia functionality of the One. The UI is a pleasure to navigate. Voice control is cool when it works. Will buy cross platform games on PS4 bc of better graphics and frame rate.

If your kids friends have a One and they want to at with them then the decision may have been made already. But if playing online with friends is not an issue the. It comes down to whether or not you just have to play the exclusive titles

I do have to play them and yes that includes the Wii U! The best exclusive catalog out there!
post #20 of 37 Old 02-11-2014, 12:41 PM

Liked: 44
Quote:

Thx

I have both. While the PS4 is technically more powerful the Xbox is clearly capable of amazing graphics. The only reason I would spring for an Xbox in your situation is if your kids really want to use Kinect (assuming you don't have a 360 with Kinect). I am a dual console guy because gaming is important to me and I don't want to miss out on console exclusives. I will say that if I were forced to choose between the two I would pick the PS4 - and that's coming from a guy who's been with the original Xbox since early launch. The PS4 is a great machine, focused 100% on non-Kinect style gaming, features a great controller, and Playstation Plus is a tremendous value. Sony also has great exclusives as well. So, again, I'd only recommend it if your kids really want any of the Xbox exclusives (Titanfall?) or want to hit up Kinect 2.0.
americangunner and freemeat like this.
post #21 of 37 Old 02-11-2014, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Does the hdmi run from the cable /sat box into the ONE out to the TV?

Is there a PQ loss ?

Panny 55St60
Panny 55St50(gaming)
Sony 55 NX720
Samsung 42 Hpt(Plasma)
Panny 32Viera LCD (TX)
Klipsch surround
Denon HDMI Receiver
Bose Solo
XBox360
Ipad 1 & 2
Iphone 5S
post #22 of 37 Old 02-11-2014, 06:35 PM

Quote:

Is there a PQ loss ?

Yes. The Xbox1 turns on/off my Direct TV box and Panny plasma. Real cool feature.

I can't tell.
post #23 of 37 Old 02-11-2014, 07:08 PM

Quote:

Is there a PQ loss ?

I did not notice any PQ loss, but I did have pausing and delays with my directv HR-44 when watching tv or changing channels. I only tried it briefly since my cabinet with the HR-44 is upstairs and 50'+ away and i had to use a HDMI Extension Coupler I picked up from lowes for $9.98. I was not able to get audio back to my soundbar from my reciever using the xbox one in this setup. Directv -> Onkyo 308->xbox one->Samsung I'm not sure if the Xbox one does not support ARC currently or if I was having an issue with the coupler (even though it states it supports ARC). Any how it's a neat feature that probably works in most situations...just not mine. Besides, it's really not a big deal to grab the remote and hit the source button to HDMI 3 when I'm finished playing a game.
post #24 of 37 Old 02-11-2014, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 287
I had no picture issues, but had audio sync issues. That and I didn't see the need for having my xbox hooked to my tv anymore.

XBL: xGunner26x

PSN: AMER1CAN_GUNNER

Steam: xGunner26x

post #25 of 37 Old 02-11-2014, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 717
do your think your kids will really notice (framerate and graphics)... if your kids want the one and will enjoy it, isn't that the only info you need to know?
post #26 of 37 Old 02-12-2014, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_lb View Post

I have both. While the PS4 is technically more powerful the Xbox is clearly capable of amazing graphics. The only reason I would spring for an Xbox in your situation is if your kids really want to use Kinect (assuming you don't have a 360 with Kinect). I am a dual console guy because gaming is important to me and I don't want to miss out on console exclusives. I will say that if I were forced to choose between the two I would pick the PS4 - and that's coming from a guy who's been with the original Xbox since early launch. The PS4 is a great machine, focused 100% on non-Kinect style gaming, features a great controller, and Playstation Plus is a tremendous value. Sony also has great exclusives as well. So, again, I'd only recommend it if your kids really want any of the Xbox exclusives (Titanfall?) or want to hit up Kinect 2.0.

I have both as well and I think this sums it up pretty good. There is no Kinect game yet though. No extender cable for it either, and the range on the controllers is not very good....this may not matter to you.

FYI - Forza 5 is horrible ( I was a Forza fan until 5)
Ryse is pretty cool for about 7 hours
Dead Rising 3 for me was a blast and I never really liked the older ones. The sheer amount of zombies onscreen is amazing at times.
There's really nothing on the Xbox store yet.
post #27 of 37 Old 02-12-2014, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I nerd in the store told me today that the Xbone is a must own for the title Titanfall alone. He called it the greatest game changer to date.

Panny 55St60
Panny 55St50(gaming)
Sony 55 NX720
Samsung 42 Hpt(Plasma)
Panny 32Viera LCD (TX)
Klipsch surround
Denon HDMI Receiver
Bose Solo
XBox360
Ipad 1 & 2
Iphone 5S
post #28 of 37 Old 02-12-2014, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 569
Quote:

I nerd in the store told me today that the Xbone is a must own for the title Titanfall alone. He called it the greatest game changer to date.

To some it might be. It will be on the Xbox 360, which your signature shows that you have so you can play on that as well. Also on PC as well.

There might be a beta for the 360 version to try to get into, not sure.
post #29 of 37 Old 02-12-2014, 03:10 PM

Just a FYI, there is a Titanfall beta test signup. Of course only on Xbox1 and PC.

Click HERE!
post #30 of 37 Old 02-16-2014, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 128
since this is a "both systems" kinda thread.

You have xbone and ps4. you want to get the new Tomb Raider. You are half way through the story on Xbone already but no longer have the game. Which one do you buy?

PS4 PSNID = The-Barbeerian
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page