Sword Art Online - Game, Anime, Manga & VR discussion topic. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 86 Old 03-31-2014, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 557
Starting this to keep the PS4 thread clean.

Some simple rules, mark any spoilers from the games, anime or manga with spoiler tags. List what the spoiler is from.

(example - Episode 1 spoiler) Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Everyone is trapped in a virtual MMO!

I'll add more to the OP once I am home, including some descriptions of the series and where to watch it.

To watch for free on any device, youtube. Sub only. Here is a link to the first episode. (It looks to be an official upload)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QEv2y6dH_A

The series is dubbed on Netflix. Crunchy Roll has it subbed, but is only free if you watch on PC with ads, to watch on consoles requires a sub. (Episode 1 is a free preview)

The official DVDs and bluray releases were limited and are overpriced thanks to scalpers.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 86 Old 03-31-2014, 11:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Add Crunchyroll as a free to watch site. If you are a member you can watch it in 1080p. Great show, def worth watching if you are a gamer AND like anime!

http://www.crunchyroll.com/sword-art-online

PSN & XBL: Epyon415
Twitch.tv: http://www.twitch.tv/epyon415
Twitter: @gundumgaming
YouTube Gameplay Videos
post #3 of 86 Old 04-01-2014, 12:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Crunchy Roll is only free if you are on PC. To watch past the first episode on any other device requires a monthly fee.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #4 of 86 Old 04-01-2014, 06:39 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 34
The game is sword and mele only. No Magic or Clerics. During one of the big boss fights I kept wondering where the 'Tanks' were and why no one was throwing any Area Effect Spells or healing. Then I'm like.... oh... I see how it is.
Need to develop the Gustatory Rift. Leveling that cooking ability needs a taste simulator. smile.gif
post #5 of 86 Old 04-01-2014, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadia88 View Post

The game is sword and mele only. No Magic or Clerics. During one of the big boss fights I kept wondering where the 'Tanks' were and why no one was throwing any Area Effect Spells or healing. Then I'm like.... oh... I see how it is.
Need to develop the Gustatory Rift. Leveling that cooking ability needs a taste simulator. smile.gif

Why do you think Facebook bought the Rift? They want in on the next gen version that takes place in your mind like in SAO. The story of the show isn't far off from what might happen.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #6 of 86 Old 04-01-2014, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 718
post #7 of 86 Old 04-01-2014, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It is pretty good, I can't compare it to AoT though since I haven't watched past the first episode. It is worth a watch if you are a gamer, I want a sword based MMO that is actually based on player skill and not animations and stats. (Not just skill with a controller, but actual skill based on your real world ability to use a sword)

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #8 of 86 Old 04-01-2014, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

It is pretty good, I can't compare it to AoT though since I haven't watched past the first episode. It is worth a watch if you are a gamer, I want a sword based MMO that is actually based on player skill and not animations and stats. (Not just skill with a controller, but actual skill based on your real world ability to use a sword)

Facebook wants you to have that also. AoT was weird for me. I tried three different times to get into it and could not. Tried again and it clicked. Most likely not second screening helped. smile.gif
post #9 of 86 Old 04-01-2014, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

Crunchy Roll is only free if you are on PC. To watch past the first episode on any other device requires a monthly fee.

Crunchyroll app on iPad gives same access as PC and does not require a subscription.

"Damn, you can't get black levels like that on your projector!"
- My brother, just before he realized his LED display had died.

Link to my Basement build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1529034/conspiracy-basement-build
post #10 of 86 Old 04-01-2014, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Is this show as good as Attack On Titan?

Much, much, much better.

Attack anime was hit/miss and felt like they forgot the story they were trying to tell.

post #11 of 86 Old 04-01-2014, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Only thing I wish was done different with the first part of season 1 was that it didn't have such huge jumps in between episodes. Wish we could have seen more details regarding the progress to clear the different levels.

I wish an MMO or a Co-Op RPG would adopt the elements this show has in regards to some players choosing the merchant life vs adventurer.

side note: finally clicked what "twist" you all keep referring to, the mid-season point Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
before Kirito wakes up

YouTube Gameplay Videos
post #12 of 86 Old 04-01-2014, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conspiracy* View Post

Much, much, much better.

Attack anime was hit/miss and felt like they forgot the story they were trying to tell.

I have three episodes to go and have really enjoyed it despite that.
post #13 of 86 Old 04-01-2014, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Crunchyroll app on iPad gives same access as PC and does not require a subscription.

Android doesn't get the same treatment sadly, nor do the consoles.

The manga is getting an official release starting the 22nd of this month, I'll be picking it up to see if the time jumps are as bad as the anime.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #14 of 86 Old 04-01-2014, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I want a sword based MMO that is actually based on player skill and not animations and stats. (Not just skill with a controller, but actual skill based on your real world ability to use a sword)

You'll get DDR first.
post #15 of 86 Old 04-01-2014, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You'll get DDR first.

True, gotta wait for The Matrix headset from SAO before we get that kind of game.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #16 of 86 Old 04-02-2014, 03:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I finished the show. I really want to own this now, so hopefully it gets a non limited edition bluray soon.

Gotta drop this in here since one of the singers I follow on youtube added this today. Intro 1 of SAO, Crossing Fields April Fools style. She uploaded versions of each intro and ending that are not a joke a while back and are pretty good. (With mediafire links for downloads as well!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LJ8hBZx71k

Ending spoilers and a few spoilers from throughout the series, beware.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Too bad the final fights were so lackluster, I expected something grander after the midway showdown. That guy was a total letdown and went out like a ***** I wanted to see Kirito in a fight in the real world and actually use his in game skills like in the sparring match. Hopefully series 2 gives us that.

I still feel that this series should have stuck to SAO only and never added another MMO to the mix, it brought the core story of the second act down a little.

The romance with Sugu was not needed and felt forced, the author felt the same way based on an article I read about the upcoming Series 2. I was disappointed that they never had a proper duel in the game, that ending of their fight was a cop out.

I wonder if they could do a what if version that stays in SAO and fleshes out more of what happened inbetween episodes and adds a new ending? (I think the PSP title did that but it is Japan only and staying that way)

Now someone non evil just needs to create a NRV headset and create a true virtual MMO.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #17 of 86 Old 04-02-2014, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

I finished up Attack on Titan last night and started SAO this morning. Hasn't quite grabbed me yet but the presentation is good.

I've worked in the tech field for 10 years now and actively seek ways to unplug and it's even more of a priority with a 2 year old in the house. TV is less and books are more and physical activity is increased and I can't find a negative thing about those. While cool, VR doesn't really seem to be pulling me in just yet. I'm sure there are some very cool applications for it in many fields beyond games. Somebody mentioned Surrogates and that seems likely as soon as the bots are ready. I think we've lost a bit of intimacy with our fellow man along with the layers of tech we put between ourselves. It's still interesting to see how it unfolds and it does appear to be a bet for the future. I just hope the folks that growl when you avoid hitting them with a car when they walk into intersections while texting with headphones on get weeded out for more aware and polite people. On the upside VR will keep them home and off the streets.
post #18 of 86 Old 04-02-2014, 06:22 AM

Episode 20. We've gone from one big bad to another. If you were trapped in a game for over 2 years would you still have the helmet in your room after you escaped?

One company develops while an evil company takes over. I'm not sure but it seems I've seen this same situation before somewhere. cool.gif
post #19 of 86 Old 04-02-2014, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Can you imagine the people laying bed covered in doodoo and starving to death? Sign me up.
post #20 of 86 Old 04-02-2014, 06:40 AM

If Zuckerberg is the big bad. Then that means Carmack is in the bird cage and someone from Valve will have to Don the wings to save him.
post #21 of 86 Old 04-02-2014, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I finished the show. I really want to own this now, so hopefully it gets a non limited edition bluray soon.

Gotta drop this in here since one of the singers I follow on youtube added this today. Intro 1 of SAO, Crossing Fields April Fools style. She uploaded versions of each intro and ending that are not a joke a while back and are pretty good. (With mediafire links for downloads as well!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LJ8hBZx71k

Ending spoilers and a few spoilers from throughout the series, beware.
Too bad the final fights were so lackluster, I expected something grander after the midway showdown. That guy was a total letdown and went out like a ***** I wanted to see Kirito in a fight in the real world and actually use his in game skills like in the sparring match. Hopefully series 2 gives us that.

I still feel that this series should have stuck to SAO only and never added another MMO to the mix, it brought the core story of the second act down a little.

The romance with Sugu was not needed and felt forced, the author felt the same way based on an article I read about the upcoming Series 2. I was disappointed that they never had a proper duel in the game, that ending of their fight was a cop out.

I wonder if they could do a what if version that stays in SAO and fleshes out more of what happened inbetween episodes and adds a new ending? (I think the PSP title did that but it is Japan only and staying that way)

Now someone non evil just needs to create a NRV headset and create a true virtual MMO.
Funny. I see the opposite on pretty much everything you listed. I see the time jumps as moving the story forward. One of the biggest issues many people have with anime is that they drag out every story to the point of where you just start to wish they'd get it over with. DBZ was the ultimate culprit, Naruto is doing it now.
I really like that they essentially gave us two seasons in one. The end of SAO and the transition into Elfenheim was completely unexpected. Honestly I thought the second half of the season was better than the original. SAO was great, but in EO they could fly! The relationship between Kirito and Sugu felt so strange, but felt right too and when I finally realized what was going on it was a great twist imo.

The issue with Oberon was that he was a weakling in real life. Power doesnt come from stats and he learned that in the end. The showdown in the parking lot perfectly illustrated that. You're not going to have some grand showdown in real life and the way it ended drew the line between "in game" and "real life" perfectly. I wanted Kirito to kill that guy so much at the end but I'm glad he didn't.

In the end the anime left me wanting so much more...and I can't wait for a second season. I just hope they dont turn it into generic anime for money's sake. If they never make a second season I think the first perfectly stands on its own.

post #22 of 86 Old 04-02-2014, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Can you imagine the people laying bed covered in doodoo and starving to death? Sign me up.

This was actually addressed in story. Once everyone figured out what was going on, all users were either set up with a hospice type care or moved to a hospital.

post #23 of 86 Old 04-02-2014, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

I think this show can do a better job with filler episodes, mainly because the jump is 6 months at a time. The early parts of things I can see why, but learning more about the guilds, how they form, how the online world comes to grips with the fact that they are stuck in there and just expand on characters, the levels etc. I wish we had gotten a few more episodes with Kirito and Asuna on the front lines. I do enjoy shows that wrap up in 25 episodes, but I want moar from this one!

YouTube Gameplay Videos
post #24 of 86 Old 04-02-2014, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Funny. I see the opposite on pretty much everything you listed. I see the time jumps as moving the story forward. One of the biggest issues many people have with anime is that they drag out every story to the point of where you just start to wish they'd get it over with. DBZ was the ultimate culprit, Naruto is doing it now.
I really like that they essentially gave us two seasons in one. The end of SAO and the transition into Elfenheim was completely unexpected. Honestly I thought the second half of the season was better than the original. SAO was great, but in EO they could fly! The relationship between Kirito and Sugu felt so strange, but felt right too and when I finally realized what was going on it was a great twist imo.

The issue with Oberon was that he was a weakling in real life. Power doesnt come from stats and he learned that in the end. The showdown in the parking lot perfectly illustrated that. You're not going to have some grand showdown in real life and the way it ended drew the line between "in game" and "real life" perfectly. I wanted Kirito to kill that guy so much at the end but I'm glad he didn't.

In the end the anime left me wanting so much more...and I can't wait for a second season. I just hope they dont turn it into generic anime for money's sake. If they never make a second season I think the first perfectly stands on its own.
The ingame battle was handled perfectly, right down to maxing out the pain factor and ripping him to shreds. (I feel that should have killed him in real life Matrix style)

The parkinglot showdown needed something more, I guess I just wanted to see that jerk suffer a little more and truly realise how powerless he was, even against a child in combat.

The main reason I dislike the second arc is because of the flight and magic, it feels like it dilutes what made Kirito so awesome in the first half, his skill with a sword. The core story is just fine, but the setting leaves something to be desired.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #25 of 86 Old 04-02-2014, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The ingame battle was handled perfectly, right down to maxing out the pain factor and ripping him to shreds. (I feel that should have killed him in real life Matrix style)

The parkinglot showdown needed something more, I guess I just wanted to see that jerk suffer a little more and truly realise how powerless he was, even against a child in combat.

The main reason I dislike the second arc is because of the flight and magic, it feels like it dilutes what made Kirito so awesome in the first half, his skill with a sword. The core story is just fine, but the setting leaves something to be desired.
I dont remember, does Kirito use magic in EO? His skill is still with a sword. The first arc, through the second, all the way till the end I think the main point is that regardless of his situation Kirito had a strong will. He realized early on the value of a life, and decided to help make peoples lives better. That will is what allowed him to succeed.

post #26 of 86 Old 04-02-2014, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Back to the games...

I know the vita has a SAO game. I think theres one for the DS as well.

The best anime to videogame so far is probably the Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm games. If SAO were to get a full title on PS4 although it would be great to see an MMO, do you think it would follow in the same vein as the Naruto games?

post #27 of 86 Old 04-02-2014, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Back to the games...

The best anime to videogame so far is probably the Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm games. If SAO were to get a full title on PS4 although it would be great to see an MMO, do you think it would follow in the same vein as the Naruto games?

What I saw looked like Xenoblade and I can get down for a PS4 version of that.
post #28 of 86 Old 04-02-2014, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Back to the games...

Thats an interesting proposition one I wouldn't mind. If it follows the show exactly though it would have to find some filler fights else there wouldn't be much too it. I still haven't finished it, but something akin to Dragon's Dogma might not be bad; add online Co-Op? Full character roster, or if player 1 is the host, they assume the role of Kirito, player 2 Asuna, etc...?

YouTube Gameplay Videos
post #29 of 86 Old 04-02-2014, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I dont remember, does Kirito use magic in EO? His skill is still with a sword. The first arc, through the second, all the way till the end I think the main point is that regardless of his situation Kirito had a strong will. He realized early on the value of a life, and decided to help make peoples lives better. That will is what allowed him to succeed.
He uses illusion magic twice. Once to turn into a giant beast, and another to put up a smokescreen.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #30 of 86 Old 04-02-2014, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

He uses illusion magic twice. Once to turn into a giant beast, and another to put up a smokescreen.

I remember that first one...one of my favorite episodes.

Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page