Old 06-19-2014, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epyon415 View Post
Even though I plan to buy this, kinda wish we'd see some gameplay footage. I recall reading that they were aiming (managed to accomplish) to have the game play models + textures be as good as the PS3 cinematics. The PS4 cinematics look really good with a lot more detail to the character faces, but I am wondering just what the gameplay models will look like.

Clickers in HD....
Yeah, I have a hunch though the cinematics are fairly indicative of the upgrade.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2014, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 78
The price dropped $10, it has jumped to #5 on Amazon.

Edit: now #1
Spanglo likes this.

Now playing: Destiny, Madden, Diablo 3, PvZ: GW
Recently Finished: Infamous: First Light, Watch Dogs
PSN & XBL: Scuzzlebutt33

Last edited by tgable; 06-20-2014 at 02:48 PM.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 102
I play and have played many games. I have not played The Last of Us. I should say I only played the demo and just wasn't sold. Something about the way it handles stealth felt, I'm not sure, inconsistent maybe? I played the demo numerous times but couldn't finish the last section. The failures felt cheap at times, with combat moves that might or might not work from one try to the next. Maybe these kind of mechanical problems got patched in the release, but it was bad enough for me to skip it.

So with the impending release of the upscaled version I would like to give this game another chance. Somebody sell me on The Last of Us. Why is this game so well received? Is it just the story that deserves the accolades, or is the gameplay worthy of awards? Should I continue to avoid this one?

Sell it to me or warn me, just keep it spoiler free.

PSN: CrashLanding (please ID requests as AVS)
Old 06-20-2014, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash44 View Post
I play and have played many games. I have not played The Last of Us. I should say I only played the demo and just wasn't sold. Something about the way it handles stealth felt, I'm not sure, inconsistent maybe? I played the demo numerous times but couldn't finish the last section. The failures felt cheap at times, with combat moves that might or might not work from one try to the next. Maybe these kind of mechanical problems got patched in the release, but it was bad enough for me to skip it.

So with the impending release of the upscaled version I would like to give this game another chance. Somebody sell me on The Last of Us. Why is this game so well received? Is it just the story that deserves the accolades, or is the gameplay worthy of awards? Should I continue to avoid this one?

I don't feel the demo is the best representation but maybe rent it from Redbox and do a little more? Shouldn't have to force yourself to like something.

I don't really think it is cheap but the game does have its trial and error a times. It can be very difficult at times on the first play through. I did die a few times in the building in the demo with the clickers.
Crash44 likes this.
Old 06-20-2014, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 210
I never played the demo, but had no problem the game when it released. There were a few areas where I died, but they never felt cheap.

The things that sold me on the game where the quality gameplay mechanics, top notch story that wasn't run of the mill and the overall tone and atmosphere of the game. That last one would be kind of lost playing the demo and is one of the games greatest attributes.
Crash44 and freemeat like this.
Old 06-20-2014, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash44 View Post

It's developed by Naughty Dog....BOOM SOLD!!!

In all seriousness I came into this game after playing The Walking Dead (talk about a tear jerker) and had some expectations on the impact of the story. Having played Uncharted titles i knew this would be a quality action adventure game.

Within the first few hours I was hooked, mainly because the gameplay/combat mechanics weren't like anything I had encountered before. To me it isn't about stealth as much as it is guerilla tactics and knowing that every action could lead to death. I couldn't treat it like Uncharted where I just take cover, shoot for 3 mins, find ammo, continue. Every action is deliberate. Being able to customize Joel was a plus, though not as deep as a true RPG, it still game me reason to explore for items that helped him grow.

The story is strong and pulls you in the further you go I think. It's a title that IF you finish it you'll likely bond with the characters and their plight, and find yourself wanting to just go back and relive it.

PSN & XBL: Epyon415
Twitch.tv: http://www.twitch.tv/epyon415
Twitter: @gundumgaming
YouTube Gameplay Videos
Old 06-21-2014, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemeat View Post
I don't feel the demo is the best representation but maybe rent it from Redbox and do a little more? Shouldn't have to force yourself to like something.

I don't really think it is cheap but the game does have its trial and error a times. It can be very difficult at times on the first play through. I did die a few times in the building in the demo with the clickers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brad View Post
I never played the demo, but had no problem the game when it released. There were a few areas where I died, but they never felt cheap.

The things that sold me on the game where the quality gameplay mechanics, top notch story that wasn't run of the mill and the overall tone and atmosphere of the game. That last one would be kind of lost playing the demo and is one of the games greatest attributes.
Quote:
It's developed by Naughty Dog....BOOM SOLD!!!

In all seriousness I came into this game after playing The Walking Dead (talk about a tear jerker) and had some expectations on the impact of the story. Having played Uncharted titles i knew this would be a quality action adventure game.

Within the first few hours I was hooked, mainly because the gameplay/combat mechanics weren't like anything I had encountered before. To me it isn't about stealth as much as it is guerilla tactics and knowing that every action could lead to death. I couldn't treat it like Uncharted where I just take cover, shoot for 3 mins, find ammo, continue. Every action is deliberate. Being able to customize Joel was a plus, though not as deep as a true RPG, it still game me reason to explore for items that helped him grow.

The story is strong and pulls you in the further you go I think. It's a title that IF you finish it you'll likely bond with the characters and their plight, and find yourself wanting to just go back and relive it.

Thanks for the thoughts. This sounds like a more than the sum of its parts type of game. A demo doesn't do it justice because there's so much going on besides the button press.

I think I'll give it a go, nothing wrong with trusting ND to make a good game. There's always ebay if it's not my taste. Thanks again.

PSN: CrashLanding (please ID requests as AVS)
Old 06-22-2014, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

So the game is officially been dropped to $49.99, all retailers and PSN digital are listed at this price. Sony is giving a $10 rebate to anyone who pre-ordered already. Little over a month to go!!!

YouTube Gameplay Videos
Old 06-22-2014, 01:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 968 Post(s)
Liked: 827
Quote:
So the game is officially been dropped to $49.99, all retailers and PSN digital are listed at this price. Sony is giving a $10 rebate to anyone who pre-ordered already. Little over a month to go!!!
Sounds good. How are they giving us the rebate? Do we need to do anything to get it? I purchased the Digital version on June 3rd.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Old 06-22-2014, 05:12 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Sounds like no details on a discount for PS3 Owners yet.

Warning: I make a lot of mistakes but occasionally I learn from them!
Old 06-22-2014, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Sounds good. How are they giving us the rebate? Do we need to do anything to get it? I purchased the Digital version on June 3rd.
Should be refunded in 5-7 days per PSLS (http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/...ast-of-us-ps4/) - may need to contact their CS if it isn't showing.
aaronwt likes this.

YouTube Gameplay Videos
Old 06-27-2014, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 591
Old 06-27-2014, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 612
Can I "Like" that ^^^ a million times?
freemeat likes this.
Old 06-27-2014, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Honestly if this released with visuals just slight below what we saw for UC4...I wouldnt be surprised. Naughty Dog just loves to deliver quality at every opportunity. 60fps is a great (additional) start.

YouTube Gameplay Videos
Old 06-27-2014, 10:33 PM

Can't wait, just over 1 month. I still have yet to complete the game on "plus" mode. First play through was normal. Second was Hard, and just began Hard Plus when they announced the remaster.

Old 06-29-2014, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mnemonic View Post
Can't wait, just over 1 month. I still have yet to complete the game on "plus" mode. First play through was normal. Second was Hard, and just began Hard Plus when they announced the remaster.
There was a "glitch" after launch, that would let you start a new game plus on any difficulty, clear the first level or two (I think), save, go back to chapter select and you could pick one of the completed levels and jump straight to New Game+ Survivor ...wont lie, I exploited that ****! LOL, but I still haven't finished that mode, so might not get my trophies in time.

Speaking of, has Sony given word if the trophies are going to reset? I assume so as it "technically" is a different game.

YouTube Gameplay Videos
Old 06-29-2014, 01:25 PM

Quote:
There was a "glitch" after launch, that would let you start a new game plus on any difficulty, clear the first level or two (I think), save, go back to chapter select and you could pick one of the completed levels and jump straight to New Game+ Survivor ...wont lie, I exploited that ****! LOL, but I still haven't finished that mode, so might not get my trophies in time.

Speaking of, has Sony given word if the trophies are going to reset? I assume so as it "technically" is a different game.

Nice, I guess I missed that glitch, but playing it fully twice through seemed like the only option possible to fully upgrade all weapons and skills. Multiple playthroughs are also good in that you trophies for all firefly tags or other collectibles can aggregate between each successive gameplay. Very useful if you missed one, and the over zealous "autosave" feature prevents you from going back.

But I would expect the trophies should be tracked separately because the same thing is true for Assasin's Creed 4. I bought for PS3 and then did the 10 buck upgrade to also get the PS4 version. Only thing weird is that I have to stick the PS3 disc in the PS4 for it to "play".

Old 06-30-2014, 03:53 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Never played the ps3 version so this will be my first time playing it. Can't wait to get
My hands on this game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PSN: Artman22
Xbox live: Artman22
Old 06-30-2014, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemeat View Post
It's a PS3 port, so I thought everyone automatically was assuming since day 1 that this would be the case?

Anything less than native 1080p and 60 FPS would've been extremely disappointing since it would've been a hallmark of a shoddy porting job.

I guess I can't blame them for telling everyone about it, but it's not exactly news since we all just took it for granted that this was the plan.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Pre-ordered it this weekend. I didn't play the PS3 version so it'll be all new for me!

Cheers,

Jeff

SXRD/Denon/OPPO/HTPC/PS4/PS3/XB360/NHT/HSU
PSN ID: Krondorian
XBL ID: Midkemian
West Coast
Twitter: @Krondo_jd
Old 06-30-2014, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post
It's a PS3 port, so I thought everyone automatically was assuming since day 1 that this would be the case?

Anything less than native 1080p and 60 FPS would've been extremely disappointing since it would've been a hallmark of a shoddy porting job.

I guess I can't blame them for telling everyone about it, but it's not exactly news since we all just took it for granted that this was the plan.
It's probably just the newness of the system, but 60fps hasn't the "given" with the PS4 as expected.

PS4 versions of Watch Dogs, Thief, AC IV: Black Flag, Need for Speed Rivals, Knack (!) Killzone (single player), Infamous... all 30fps.
Leo_Ames likes this.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 215
I kind of give games being developed with it in mind from the start a bit of a pass.

I don't find the thought of a native PS4 project settling for 30fps in order the raise the bar elsewhere a particularly distasteful thought (If that's why it's happening rather than some nefarious reason like to equal the field to placate a competitor or just inefficient coding). Disappointing definitely, not not necessarily a negative indication of the quality of the title.

But for a remastered last generation release, even a great one like this that pushes the PS3 further than most and is fairly recent, anything less than 60 FPS and 1080p is unacceptable as far as I'm concerned. It's a remastered last generation game, not a full on remake.

Failure to do so would've just told me that they didn't very effectively do their job. So with their pedigree, I guess I've just been taking it for granted that this was going to be the situation from the start.
DaverJ likes this.
Old 06-30-2014, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/...reached-60fps/

Quote:
Kurt Margenau, Lead Game Designer on Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End, then said, “Played some #TLOU at 60fps tonight for the first time (60fps cutscenes and all). Transformitive. I’m a believer. Don’t think I can go back.” This would pretty much confirm the entire game will be at 60fps, but again, Naughty Dog still hasn’t officially confirmed it will happen, as the game is still in the final stages of development.

As well, Naughty Dog’s Drew Thaler talked about The Last of Us Remastered:

This is next-gen for me: compared to PS3, PS4 TLOU:R is loading higher-res data and WAY more of it to fill 8 GiB, and it’s *still* faster.

Take a full disc. Up-rez literally everything (incl audio). Add 1GB MP maps, 5GB Left Behind. Fit on same disc. Load faster. Sixty.

When comparing The Last of Us to The Last of Us Remastered, Thaler said, “Side-by-side it’s just crazy how much better it is than PS3.”
....just stop already. The 29th is sooooo damn far away now

Obviously no confirmation yet, but I dont think there would be all this talk of 60fps if it wasn't actually happening. With the game 29 days out, I'd bet there is very little in terms of development left and everything is optimizing and maybe trying to squeak in a feature or two.

God this is going to be great!!!!

YouTube Gameplay Videos
Old 07-01-2014, 12:23 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 59
This being a port I didn't expect anything less than 60fps. Can't wait!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PSN: Artman22
Xbox live: Artman22
Old 07-02-2014, 06:53 AM
AVS Club Gold

I thought the PS4 used 5GB for the games?

On another note, has anyone received their $10 back from the preorder yet? I just checked and I don't see a $10 credit.

LED DLP
Old 07-03-2014, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

60fps confirmed (http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/...ps-frame-rate/)

https://twitter.com/cgyrling/status/484065743625928704

sounds like they are cleaning up any areas where drops are occurring.

Quote:
After various members of Naughty Dog had fun teasing everyone that The Last of Us Remastered had indeed hit its target of 60fps across single-player and multiplayer, Lead Programmer Christian Gyrling confirmed the news yesterday on Twitter, replying, “Yes, 60fps in both single and multiplayer” when asked to clarify if the game truly was 60fps (1080p was confirmed a few months back).

If you’re worried The Last of Us Remastered might suffer drops that take it below 60fps at times, Gyrling said, “We have worked hard to remove drops so that the experience should be at a constant 60 fps.”

The Last of Us Remastered launches on July 29 in North America and July 30 in Europe.
tick tock, tick tock...
aaronwt and DaverJ like this.

YouTube Gameplay Videos
Old 07-03-2014, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 54
As an Xbox guy who crossed over to the PS4 this gen, one of the top things in my head was "oh maybe I'll be able to play a decent port of TLOU". Dream. Come. True.
rolltide1017 likes this.

XBOX 360 - KrazeeEyezKeith

PS4 - KrazeeKeith

Old 07-03-2014, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 259
I'm right there with you, can't wait to play this game!

PSN ID: RollTide1017
Old 07-03-2014, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

I've have a pre-order in for this remaster based on hype and reputation, and to be honest it's one of the rare cases of having no idea what this game is! Which actually appeals to me.

All I know is it's from Naughty Dog, and I've liked games they made in the past (Crash Bandicoot, Jak & Daxter, Uncharted). I always meant to look into it on the PS3, but for some reason never did. The hype around this game is creating some very high expectations.
Old 07-03-2014, 04:55 PM
AVS Club Gold

I see they finally credited my PSN account with $10 for my Last of Us Pre-order. Fortunately I had just under $140 before the credit. I don't know what would have happened if I had more in there since the wallet max is $150. I hate this $150 limit. I still have $100 in gift cards I need to add to my wallet but I can't because of their stupid $150 Wallet limit. I wish they would at least double it to $300. I hate having to hold on to these gift cards.

LED DLP

Last edited by aaronwt; 07-03-2014 at 04:58 PM.