The Last of Us Remastered - PS4 (NO SPOILERS) - Page 8 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 59Likes

post #211 of 322 Old 08-03-2014, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 565
I did that to a soldier recently, didn't know you could when I did it... maybe it was a new addition...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 322 Old 08-03-2014, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked: 848
Ok from what I remember the green $%&* wasn't as oppressive on PS3. That part looked awful. Is it me or does normal have less enemies or is easier than on the PS3? Its like TR all over. I'm not exactly breezing through but the parts I got stuck on before are way easier.
post #213 of 322 Old 08-03-2014, 01:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1663 Post(s)
Liked: 1012
How do I get off the wooden pallet in front of the hotel? I played it for several hours today but got stuck here.

53TB unRAID2--38TB unRAID3--33TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #214 of 322 Old 08-03-2014, 02:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 24
areas with spores are all green and washed out. almost unplayable. anyone? my sony tv is professionally calibrated and never had any problem with anything on it.
post #215 of 322 Old 08-03-2014, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
How do I get off the wooden pallet in front of the hotel? I played it for several hours today but got stuck here.
Spoiler!

..not sure if the above is exactly what you're asking for.

PSN & XBL: Epyon415
Twitch.tv: http://www.twitch.tv/epyon415
Twitter: @gundumgaming
YouTube Gameplay Videos
post #216 of 322 Old 08-03-2014, 04:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notsobright View Post
areas with spores are all green and washed out. almost unplayable. anyone? my sony tv is professionally calibrated and never had any problem with anything on it.

I just posted about the wash out in post # 204 and we had a brief discussion... it's present on the ps3 version as well so likely not something we will see fixed.

My displays are all D65/6500k sub delta 3 (fully tweaked gamma) so it's not the display(s), it's just a major goof by the devs.

There are also areas with TONS of posturization which honestly should have been fixed from the PS3 version.

The game did look good most of the time I played but it lacks the polish that should be there for a 'remastered' edition.

Jason

Last edited by DaGamePimp; 08-04-2014 at 02:19 AM.
post #217 of 322 Old 08-03-2014, 06:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Having a blast so far with my first play through (Hard difficulty, all hints, HUD elements, Listening mode, etc. turned off). Died a few times early on not knowing which QTE button to hit, but everything makes sense now. I just go to the area where
Spoiler!

Since I haven't yet started inFamous, this is so far the best looking PS4 game I've played (more consistent visuals than Killzone). Not bad for a polished-up remake.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #218 of 322 Old 08-03-2014, 07:15 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
There's been a lot of talk regarding this game running at 60fps. I am in Australia so am on PAL system.
Would it be correct to say that I will be limited to 50fps seeing as PAL still runs at 50hz? Or am I missing something?
post #219 of 322 Old 08-03-2014, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

My problem with the spores is it just doesn't look good. From what I remember on PS3 is that it was more of a particle fog rather than just an overbearing green.
post #220 of 322 Old 08-03-2014, 09:48 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epyon415 View Post
Spoiler!

..not sure if the above is exactly what you're asking for.
I guess I did it backwards. I am stuck on the water and Ellie did those things. But at least that should get me up to where Ellie is on the opposite side.

LED DLP
post #221 of 322 Old 08-03-2014, 09:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post
Having a blast so far with my first play through (Hard difficulty, all hints, HUD elements, Listening mode, etc. turned off). Died a few times early on not knowing which QTE button to hit, but everything makes sense now. I just go to the area where
Spoiler!

Since I haven't yet started inFamous, this is so far the best looking PS4 game I've played (more consistent visuals than Killzone). Not bad for a polished-up remake.
What does listening mode do? I think I have it on. IS that where you have to press the button when the ear symbol shows up? If you turn it off do you not hear what those people have to say?

LED DLP
post #222 of 322 Old 08-03-2014, 10:34 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
What does listening mode do? I think I have it on. IS that where you have to press the button when the ear symbol shows up? If you turn it off do you not hear what those people have to say?
I think he meant pressing R1, but I could be wrong.
post #223 of 322 Old 08-03-2014, 11:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I think I read that it tells you where enemies are around corners and such. I guess like the detective mode in the first Batman game. I have it off to force me to go through areas slowly and carefully. So far, I've had no issue waiting behind cover to make a move and sneaking up on enemies when I'm sure they are alone and vulnerable.

I still hear idle talk from soldiers and the like.

post #224 of 322 Old 08-04-2014, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 322
I will say, the posterization in certain areas is far less than I remember it being on the PS3, but I still wish it was removed completely. Honestly, I've found this to be one of the most consistent visual experiences on the PS4. InFamous had more dynamic lighting, but the environments were so sterile looking that it didn't really matter.

They've certainly upped the detail on the character models. Don't think so? Go into photo mode and get really close to Joel or Ellie (in Left Behind) with the camera and get back to me.
post #225 of 322 Old 08-04-2014, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Spoiler!

Killzone didn't have design like this but Killzone's graphics blow this away. Infamous does as well (but you said that haven't played it.)
freemeat likes this.
post #226 of 322 Old 08-04-2014, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Yeah I finally got to some of the places and they are really washed out. Though I can't remember what the PS3 version looked like.
post #227 of 322 Old 08-04-2014, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
You focus your super-human survival instincts to detect threats...ie: visual outline of where enemies are. Helps for new players and can be sorely missed while playing survivor or grounded mode. It can be turned on or off on Hard or easier difficulty, but the game strips it on survivor and above.

YouTube Gameplay Videos
post #228 of 322 Old 08-04-2014, 09:59 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 243
I just finished the big book store after the hotel. I missed that skill on survivor. I didn't remember how many guys there were. I could have easily skipped most of them, but I have a burning need to explore everything and kill all bad guys.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #229 of 322 Old 08-04-2014, 10:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

One thing about this game that is not connecting for me is Ellie. I hate her attitude.

There was some idle banter between her and me where she was asked her if she knew how to whistle. She rudely told him she didn't, which is an example of how hard it is for me to really care about the character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoThru22 View Post
Killzone didn't have design like this but Killzone's graphics blow this away. Infamous does as well (but you said that haven't played it.)
I see what you mean. But I didn't say KZ looked worse, just that it was not as consistent as TLoUR. Some sections of KZ in the middle were pretty bland I thought.

post #230 of 322 Old 08-04-2014, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post
I just finished the big book store after the hotel. I missed that skill on survivor. I didn't remember how many guys there were. I could have easily skipped most of them, but I have a burning need to explore everything and kill all bad guys.
Ahh good ol Philly...probably the #1 ****tiest place in the whole game. Clickers blow, but man the humans I swear are worse.

Quote:
One thing about this game that is not connecting for me is Ellie. I hate her attitude.

There was some idle banter between her and me where she was asked her if she knew how to whistle. She rudely told him she didn't, which is an example of how hard it is for me to really care about the character.

I see what you mean. But I didn't say KZ looked worse, just that it was not as consistent as TLoUR. Some sections of KZ in the middle were pretty bland I thought.
You'll understand by the end and after playing Left Behind. I think I felt the same during my 1st play thru, but by the end I understood where she was coming from.

YouTube Gameplay Videos
post #231 of 322 Old 08-04-2014, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

To me Ellie seems more foul mouthed this time around. Might just be my bad memory though.
post #232 of 322 Old 08-04-2014, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brad View Post
Grabbed a screenshot of the flashlight/aliasing issue I'm seeing. It is most visible at the top of the shelf in front of Joel. No spoilers in the image, but I'll put it in spoiler tags so it doesn't take up the whole page. Make sure to view the image in a new tab so you'll get the full resolution as the smaller screenshot may hide the issue.
Got a chance to look at this finally. I think this is pretty normal. You're seeing the effects of the lighting on a small thin piece of geometry/texture and it's aliasing, and it is easier to see because of the high contrast between the lighted and unlit parts. It is possible the part that is getting lit up shouldn't (wouldn't in real life), which isn't that unusual either. Given it is only visible that way when you use the flashlight on it it's probably less important to fix for the developers than aliasing that would be more obvious in a well-lit location.

Not sure I see the big deal here? It's probably more obvious on PS4 due to the higher resolution and better overall aliasing but... seems really minor all considered.
post #233 of 322 Old 08-04-2014, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Regarding the yellow/green pea soup fog, the intent is you can't see anything, even with the flashlight. The reasons for that design decision are obvious, the intent is to make it harder to play, make you use your other faculties (audio cues and listening mode if you have it enabled), and creep you out. Yeah, it doesn't look great. I'm not that worried that every moment of the game doesn't look great, personally, as long as there is a reason.

I'm not sure what great-looking yellow/green pea soup fog that obscures your vision almost completely is supposed to look like, but maybe someone can let me know...
post #234 of 322 Old 08-04-2014, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordxar5 View Post
To me Ellie seems more foul mouthed this time around. Might just be my bad memory though.
I haven't finished my play through on the Remaster yet but I remember she drops the F bomb a ridiculous amount of times (I guess just like some teenagers)..
post #235 of 322 Old 08-04-2014, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaddon View Post
Got a chance to look at this finally. I think this is pretty normal. You're seeing the effects of the lighting on a small thin piece of geometry/texture and it's aliasing, and it is easier to see because of the high contrast between the lighted and unlit parts. It is possible the part that is getting lit up shouldn't (wouldn't in real life), which isn't that unusual either. Given it is only visible that way when you use the flashlight on it it's probably less important to fix for the developers than aliasing that would be more obvious in a well-lit location.

Not sure I see the big deal here? It's probably more obvious on PS4 due to the higher resolution and better overall aliasing but... seems really minor all considered.
To clarify, it's not a huge deal or a game breaking bug. I wanted to know I wasn't the only one seeing it. I still think it's the shadow map freaking out creating some crazy aliasing and not the geometry, and there was only one instance where it was somewhat bothersome.

The fact is, we here at AVS have to find something to complain about, regardless of how minor it is. Haha.
post #236 of 322 Old 08-04-2014, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Fair enough .
post #237 of 322 Old 08-04-2014, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

I had a bug last night where none of my melee's would connect, this actually the second time it happened. Reloading the checkpoint fixed it.
post #238 of 322 Old 08-04-2014, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaddon View Post
Regarding the yellow/green pea soup fog, the intent is you can't see anything, even with the flashlight. The reasons for that design decision are obvious, the intent is to make it harder to play, make you use your other faculties (audio cues and listening mode if you have it enabled), and creep you out. Yeah, it doesn't look great. I'm not that worried that every moment of the game doesn't look great, personally, as long as there is a reason.

I'm not sure what great-looking yellow/green pea soup fog that obscures your vision almost completely is supposed to look like, but maybe someone can let me know...
Yea...I'm not sure what it would look like either but this looks like crap. Maybe the PS3 version was pixelated or lesser quality but it looked like green pollen fog. To me this version looks like my video card is on its last leg. What's even more jarring is going from choking haze to underwater, crystal clear again.

And another complaint...omg I want to smash Ellie in the head with the pipe, repeatedly, every time she won't move so I can climb a ladder. That gets maddening when you can't tell who gives up first as a pack of infected attack.

Yup picking nits! I just thought, you know, its a remaster on better hardware, randomly washed out areas and green crap should look next gen! Oddly the washed out look was only the stretch between town and the first clicker area. Have yet to hit a second green zone.

PS, all complaining aside I love the game.
DaGamePimp likes this.
post #239 of 322 Old 08-04-2014, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Is there a reason this game is good at retaining textures on the ground past 5 feet and games like Skyrim and Watch Dogs the ground textures go blurry pretty quickly? Is it simply the nature of an open world game and keeping the textures nice is too resource intensive for open world games?

Last edited by freemeat; 08-04-2014 at 01:28 PM.
post #240 of 322 Old 08-04-2014, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemeat View Post
Is there a reason this game is good at retaining textures on the ground past 5 feet and games like Skyrim and Watch Dogs the ground textures go blurry pretty quickly? Is it simply the nature of an open world game and keeping the textures nice is too resource intensive for open world games?
ND does a great job of level design to hide it, but the fact is the levels are very spatially constrained. Definitely not a good comparison to an open world game.

I'm hoping that with the 8 gigs of RAM Uncharted 4 is going to relax that a bit and still look even better than TLoU...

OT: how the hell do you mute the new AVS ads? They're driving me nuts .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply PlayStation Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page