When is the last time you were truly blown away by new gaming technology? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 112 Old 04-11-2014, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Man I remember my first 3dfx card and my first audio card though not what it was. All those little upgrades over time really added a lot. People today just don't understand where all the nice shiny advances we have today came from.
gus738 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 112 Old 04-11-2014, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 401
-Pitfall!

then -Conan apple ii

last time though, would be mp rtcw.
post #33 of 112 Old 04-11-2014, 01:45 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelbelly View Post

Yep...Sound card was a biggie. And SoundBlaster led the tech parade for me.

I remember my first soundblaster card. I bought it in 1996. The thing was huge. it was a full length card so it was super long. My brother still uses them but I stopped using the audio cards in favor of onboard audio years ago.
barrelbelly likes this.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #34 of 112 Old 04-11-2014, 01:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 1392
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordxar5 View Post

Man I remember my first 3dfx card and my first audio card though not what it was. All those little upgrades over time really added a lot. People today just don't understand where all the nice shiny advances we have today came from.

Hell yes. I remember I had a diamond vortex card with a Yamaha daughterboard for wavetable midi. I paid like $150 in 1990s dollars to buy hardware to make midi sound better...this stuff is all completely lost now.

I think the original voodoo board had like 2mb of DDR2? And yet it was downright amazing at the time. Just seeing textures look blurry instead of blocky and colored lights was like a revelatory experience.

I barely had enough ports for everything - 2D card, 3d card, 3d sound card with a daughterboard hanging off it and a second bracket for the gamepad port, ethernet NIC, modem....now everything is all on a tiny little motherboard and the only cards we really need are GPUs. And even those are optional.

And to think some people still approach PC gaming with apprehension....it's so ridiculously simple nowadays compared to how it used to be.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #35 of 112 Old 04-11-2014, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 231
I forgot about this one. But it was a very big deal to me in my early PC gaming stage. It was Battle Chess. I was mesmerized by that game. In fact I would sure love to see a modern remake of it with more spectacular finishing moves & etc.
post #36 of 112 Old 04-11-2014, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 440
3Dfx should be in the PC Hall of Fame.

*moment of silence*

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #37 of 112 Old 04-11-2014, 09:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

3Dfx should be in the PC Hall of Fame.

*moment of silence*

I'm still not quite sure what happened with them.  Their cards were competitive till the very end.  The voodoo 3 wasn't the best ever, but the nvidia riva TNT2 wasn't that much better.

post #38 of 112 Old 04-11-2014, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 419
3dfx decided to stop allowing third party boards from what I remember and their market dried up considerably. Can't remember what board company they bought but it was all downhill from there.
post #39 of 112 Old 04-12-2014, 05:44 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

I remember my first soundblaster card. I bought it in 1996. The thing was huge. it was a full length card so it was super long. My brother still uses them but I stopped using the audio cards in favor of onboard audio years ago.

I remember when a good friend of mine installed his SB Pro in the early 90's....it was a HUGE deal. He had people over for drinks and demo'd the audio (see link below)....everyone was stunned. At the time, he had a cutting edge system....386dx/33mhz, 8MB RAM, 17" NEC SyncMaster monitor, Okidata laser printer...it was a dream setup! I can't help but to recall the many nights we spent sharing game files via local BBS's watching the download for hours and hours hoping there would be no line noise during the transmission....oh, those were the days!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCvP2Rg84NE

Watching that demo again is like a time warp for me. The amazing audio, the smooth graphics and colors...that was a turning point for us.
post #40 of 112 Old 04-12-2014, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 89
The first time I played madden on Genesis. WOW!!

"Where's the Imp???" "SHUTUP!!"

post #41 of 112 Old 04-12-2014, 10:33 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAnglum View Post

I remember when a good friend of mine installed his SB Pro in the early 90's....it was a HUGE deal. He had people over for drinks and demo'd the audio (see link below)....everyone was stunned. At the time, he had a cutting edge system....386dx/33mhz, 8MB RAM, 17" NEC SyncMaster monitor, Okidata laser printer...it was a dream setup! I can't help but to recall the many nights we spent sharing game files via local BBS's watching the download for hours and hours hoping there would be no line noise during the transmission....oh, those were the days!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCvP2Rg84NE

Watching that demo again is like a time warp for me. The amazing audio, the smooth graphics and colors...that was a turning point for us.

Ouch.. That brings back some bad memories to me. Wow! how things have changed.

post #42 of 112 Old 04-13-2014, 08:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfmp3 View Post

Some good memories here.

But I remember when I got my first Monster 3Dfx card. That was a moment for me. Right then and there I new everything changed. That was a game changer in every sense.

I still have that exact card....

the change from cartridge based gaming to disc based
post #43 of 112 Old 04-13-2014, 09:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Lol I forgot about that external cable! How ridiculous was that?

post #44 of 112 Old 04-13-2014, 09:51 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Pretty sure I have that card too. Plus all my other newer 3dfx cards.

I don't know if it was that card or one around the same time that would play Virtua Fighter, I think it was the version on the Saturn at the time. I have that card too, I think you could plug in your Saturn controller too.

Found it.
Also had a built in sound card.

WrcC13e.jpg
Comp625 likes this.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #45 of 112 Old 04-13-2014, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
the Amiga
Tomb Raider
Guitar Hero
post #46 of 112 Old 04-14-2014, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Putting a Voodoo 3D card into my iMac and then running the Unreal flyby.

Your mom is a classy lady!

/ 

post #47 of 112 Old 04-14-2014, 08:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 233
If we're talking games, here are the ones that have blown me away over the years:

Castle Wolfenstein - The original, 2D version that I played on my Apple II. I remember being blown away by the digitized speech ("SS!") in the game.

Street Fighter II (SNES) - A nearly perfect arcade port that I spent hundreds of hours playing with my friends.

Super Metroid (SNES) - Amazing atmosphere and presentation values. One of my favorite games of all time.

Soul Calibur (Dreamcast) - Another flawless arcade port; the game still holds up remarkably well today.

Halo (Xbox) - Ah the memories of lugging around my 100 pound TV for LAN parties...

Gears of War (X360) - I had held off buying a 360 up to that point, and then I saw the trailer for this game in a movie theater. I'm pretty sure I bought a 360 on the way home from the theater. Completely blown away by the gritty, cinematic presentation.

For hardware, I'd say my most anticipated was the Sega Genesis. I got that for Christmas the year it came out, and I remember literally wearing out the pages of my EGM magazine (issue 8?) that had a shootout between the TG-16 and the Genesis. This was the first console I owned that could boast arcade-quality graphics, back when that term still meant something.
post #48 of 112 Old 04-14-2014, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 187
The first time playing Starfox 64 with the rumble pack blew me away. Suddenly things seemed more dynamic and weighty ingame. It was awesome.

I built my first gaming PC just to play Doom 3 when it came out. My jaw dropped when I first booted it up. At the time, it looked amazing. I think that was the first game that REALLY stood out to me with its use of audio. No more 2 channel PC audio for me after that.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo

post #49 of 112 Old 04-14-2014, 10:10 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brad View Post

The first time playing Starfox 64 with the rumble pack blew me away. Suddenly things seemed more dynamic and weighty ingame. It was awesome.

I built my first gaming PC just to play Doom 3 when it came out. My jaw dropped when I first booted it up. At the time, it looked amazing. I think that was the first game that REALLY stood out to me with its use of audio. No more 2 channel PC audio for me after that.

I loved Starfox 64. It was my favorite game on that system.

post #50 of 112 Old 04-14-2014, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

A local video game rental shop that was in my hometown would rent imported N64 games. I played the heck out of the Japanese version of Starfox 64. I had no idea what any of the characters were saying, but it was still fun. I have a friend who still brings up how ridiculous Slippy sounded in Japanese.

post #51 of 112 Old 04-14-2014, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 54
The moments that pop out off the top of my head would be the following:

Wolfenstein 3D and Doom on the PC
While these games looked and played great, the real appeal for me was how easy they were to install and play on a reasonably powered PC. The shareware try before you buy model was also a great idea.

Missile Defense 3D on the Sega Master System
A light gun game that also played in full color 3D via a pair of active shutter 3D glassed powered by the console. Talk about ahead of its time. This game was a lot of fun with great visuals and outstanding 3D - both depth into the screen and pop out of the screen.

Ghouls 'n Ghosts on the Sega Genesis
One of the earliest games that could have easily passed for its arcade counterpart; truly a major leap compared to prior home video games

Total Eclipse and Crash 'n Burn on the Panasonic 3DO
Compared to what was available on the competing consoles at the time, the visuals on these two games bordered on the photo-realistic. The gameplay was nothing new but the graphics were truly next gen.

Halo on the Original Xbox
Probably the first time a console FPS was every bit as good as what was available on the PC. The game also introduced a lot of features we take for granted today: seamless transitions from indoor to outdoor environments; vehicle availability at almost any time, etc.
post #52 of 112 Old 04-14-2014, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDP View Post

The moments that pop out off the top of my head would be the following:

Total Eclipse and Crash 'n Burn on the Panasonic 3DO
Compared to what was available on the competing consoles at the time, the visuals on these two games bordered on the photo-realistic. The gameplay was nothing new but the graphics were truly next gen.

Absolutely...

I think people dramatically underestimate just how amazing those games were in "OCTOBER 1993". That's what people forget. The 3DO came out in October of 1993, and a very good friend of mine actually had one. He had the Crash N Burn game, and let me tell you, seeing that game on a big 31 inch Mitsubishi, via S-Video, back in late 1993, it was nothing short of spectacular. The texture mapped roads, and the stuff on the side of the roads texture mapped. The digital, pixleated clouds that are floating by in the skybox. I'm telling you Crash N Burn may have aged more than just about any game on the planet, but seriously, if you were there in 1993, you were awestruck. Most people give 3DO short shrift, because they experienced it after Playstation and Saturn. Playstation and Saturn came almost two full years later. Those two years, before the Saturn and PS1 hit, the 3DO was releasing some games that were truly amazing, but most people didn't experience the games till much later, and thought that everything sucked in comparison to PS1 and Saturn. Which maybe it did suck, but in late 1993 and 1994, the 3DO was absolutely killing it.
post #53 of 112 Old 04-14-2014, 07:39 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 179
I remember a game on SNES called Actraiser that my cousin had. I never did play it much, he was always the player, but I remember the music blew me away. Sounded like an orchestra to me.

Another SNES game called PLOK one of those you had to start all the way over, I think, when you screwed up. Had one level late in the game that I remember loving the music.

The original Tomb Raider with the first 3dfx card, was amazing.

I don't think anything has matched the Tomb Raider level of "blow me away." It's just not possible with the level of technology we have now. There was such a large gap in fidelity between Tomb Raider with and without the 3dfx card.

If something comes along at this point it would have to be drastically better.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #54 of 112 Old 04-15-2014, 04:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Speaking of 3DO, remember the much touted M2 add-on that never came to be? I remember reading an issue of GameFan and they were talking about Mortal Kombat III being "arcade perfect" on the M2. The screenshots in the mag were awe-inspiring. I wanted a 3DO, but the main issue with that system was price; it was just too damn expensive at the time.

post #55 of 112 Old 04-15-2014, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 116
I think we can safely declare us all as official %100 Geeks.
DarrellG likes this.
post #56 of 112 Old 04-15-2014, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsaville View Post

If we're talking games, here are the ones that have blown me away over the years:

Street Fighter II (SNES) - A nearly perfect arcade port that I spent hundreds of hours playing with my friends.

Super Metroid (SNES) - Amazing atmosphere and presentation values. One of my favorite games of all time.

Soul Calibur (Dreamcast) - Another flawless arcade port; the game still holds up remarkably well today.

Halo (Xbox) - Ah the memories of lugging around my 100 pound TV for LAN parties...

Soul Calibur on Dreamcast is far better than the arcade version in graphics. It was the reason that got me to by a Dreamcast.

SNES Street Fighter 2 is definitely not arcade perfect but it was still very good.

Halo was great for Lan parties and over the internet (before xbox live).

Yeah, Super Metroid is still amazing to this day. Love the atmosphere, music, game play. The way it unfolds in the beginning is fantastic!
post #57 of 112 Old 04-15-2014, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 89
First time I was blown away by gaming technology? On PC, it was 1995. The Diamond Edge 3D card came out (first 3D accelerator card with Virtua Fighter packed in). I have a drawer full of 3Dfx cards and the original Tomb Raider was jaw dropping, but Virtua Fighter on the Nvidia NV1 came first.

I have to agree the first time on console was Soul Caliber for Dreamcast. I think that was the first time I tought that a console could do a game as well if not better than any other platform at the time including PC.

XBOX LIVE ID: JeepR kReapR
PSN ID: JeepR_kReapR

Originally Posted by

Instead of the usual 2 minutes, give her 5 minutes of nothing but that Jeep ecstasy. She will be exhausted and fall right to sleep. You are now free to play.

Thats what I do.

post #58 of 112 Old 04-15-2014, 12:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brad View Post

Speaking of 3DO, remember the much touted M2 add-on that never came to be? I remember reading an issue of GameFan and they were talking about Mortal Kombat III being "arcade perfect" on the M2. The screenshots in the mag were awe-inspiring. I wanted a 3DO, but the main issue with that system was price; it was just too damn expensive at the time.

Yeah, I had a 3dO I think it was $699.
I think I sold it rather soon and recouped most my money, but it was impressive at the time.

I still have one in my attic. Nothing about the 3D) blew me away, except maybe how bad "Way of the Warrior" was.

As for what has "BLOWN ME AWAY" I don't know, The term blown away is kind of tough, Seeing the NEoGeo boot for the first time was pretty awesome. Maybe the first time I booted a PS1.

Everything about the Dreamcast.
post #59 of 112 Old 04-17-2014, 04:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Can't believe I didn't think of it when I posted earlier, but Demon's Souls introducing multiplayer invasions of a single player game, and especially having one of the game's main bosses be secretly played by a random human, was totally mindblowing at the time.

This sort of mechanic wouldn't have been technically feasible until fairly recently, with everyone's game consoles and PCs now being constantly online.

- Jer
post #60 of 112 Old 04-18-2014, 01:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Atari 2600 started it all
Commodore 64 telengard and others kept me going
Falcon F16 on Amiga got me through some slow nights in the Army

NFL 2K for dreamcast singlehandedly brought me back to gaming after a hiatus
NFL 2k brought me to the xbox

Gears on 360 kept me gaming
Forza got me seriously into racing

Rfactor on PC took my racing to the next level
I pretty much was going to give up on console gaming at this point but Titanfall has changed all that

Those are the most significant for me. Not taking into account arcade games. Do they even still have arcades? Lol

In between I've I had numerous gaming devices. Playstations. Handhelds etc but those were the big ones for me

AT HAMMOND ROBOTICS WE'RE BRINGING THE FUTURE ... HOME
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page