When is the last time you were truly blown away by new gaming technology? - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #61 of 132 Old 04-18-2014, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by totalownership View Post

NFL 2K for dreamcast singlehandedly brought me back to gaming after a hiatus

In mid 1999, I was mostly gaming on my PC, but I ended up going to the e3 Expo in L.A. that year and let me tell you... the Dreamcast really killed it at e3 that year. NFL 2K was a HUGE part of it. People would walk by the monitors that had NFL 2K running on it, and jaws were being dropped with regularity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 132 Old 04-21-2014, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I think Infamous Second Son's photo mode is a huge step forward. We don't get a lot of chances to be amazed with current tech, but take a look through some of the photos people are taking on Twitter if you get a chance.
freemeat likes this.

"Damn, you can't get black levels like that on your projector!"
- My brother, just before he realized his LED display had died.

Link to my Basement build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1529034/conspiracy-basement-build
post #63 of 132 Old 04-21-2014, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conspiracy* View Post

I think Infamous Second Son's photo mode is a huge step forward. We don't get a lot of chances to be amazed with current tech, but take a look through some of the photos people are taking on Twitter if you get a chance.

The crazy part is photo mode isn't making the game look better, it looks that good. This isn't like GT or other games photomode.
post #64 of 132 Old 04-21-2014, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Yeah, photo mode in Second Son showcases the graphical quality. Only nitpick I've found is that the depth of field blur doesn't apply to smoke billows properly. They are always in focus regardless. Minor quibble but ita something that van likely be addressed in a update.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
My SD/HD movie collection
post #65 of 132 Old 04-21-2014, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

In mid 1999, I was mostly gaming on my PC, but I ended up going to the e3 Expo in L.A. that year and let me tell you... the Dreamcast really killed it at e3 that year. NFL 2K was a HUGE part of it. People would walk by the monitors that had NFL 2K running on it, and jaws were being dropped with regularity.
I have no doubt. It got me in New York. I'm pretty sure I was in J&R Music World just walking by looking for something completely non-videogame related and happened to walk by a TV with NFL 2K running. It completely stopped me in my tracks, I mean I literally stopped walking and stood there mesmerized.

AT HAMMOND ROBOTICS WE'RE BRINGING THE FUTURE ... HOME
post #66 of 132 Old 04-21-2014, 01:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I have been blown away a lot over the years. However the last time I was blown away was trying remote play on a Vita with a PS4 while on LTE. The fact that it worked at all blow my mind but the responsiveness was amazing to me. It was just like playing the PS4 just on a smaller screen and not in a house. It was great.
post #67 of 132 Old 04-21-2014, 03:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
For me spending time finishing Second Son and being amazed at how far visuals have come, even after a generation of consoles I was plenty satisfied with. That game totally blew me away and it will be difficult to play another game that isn't at least comparable.
post #68 of 132 Old 04-21-2014, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_lb View Post

For me spending time finishing Second Son and being amazed at how far visuals have come, even after a generation of consoles I was plenty satisfied with. That game totally blew me away and it will be difficult to play another game that isn't at least comparable.

PS4 is still an infant. I can't even imagine what Uncharted 4 is going to look like biggrin.gif
gus738 likes this.
post #69 of 132 Old 05-05-2014, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Im getting that feeling now from Rayman Legends ps4. I also just upgraded from a 32inch lcd 720p to a 51inch plasma 1080p . Those colors! Everything on screen is so beautiful and fluid!
gus738 likes this.
post #70 of 132 Old 05-06-2014, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasma5300 View Post

Im getting that feeling now from Rayman Legends ps4. I also just upgraded from a 32inch lcd 720p to a 51inch plasma 1080p . Those colors! Everything on screen is so beautiful and fluid!

Rayman does look nice. Download the demo to child of light. Takes it to another level.
Plasma5300 likes this.

"Damn, you can't get black levels like that on your projector!"
- My brother, just before he realized his LED display had died.

Link to my Basement build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1529034/conspiracy-basement-build
post #71 of 132 Old 05-06-2014, 09:48 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:

Rayman does look nice. Download the demo to child of light. Takes it to another level.
Yes child of light is beautiful!
post #72 of 132 Old 05-06-2014, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think they both look great. I really hope to see more games using this engine.

Could we possibly get something like Gradius or other shooters on this engine?
post #73 of 132 Old 05-06-2014, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
COD4 demo at E3, Ghillie in the mist- When the captain moves from the hiding spot and you realized OMG did that just happened?
Gears of war- Co-op campaign, graphics, and MP.
Oblivion- Coming out of the sewer.
Halo3
2006 holiday season was pretty much the beginning of console love for me, don't think I left the house until end of 07'...smile.gif
post #74 of 132 Old 05-06-2014, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 50
The last 'wow this is next gen' moment was the first time I played Gears of War in 2006, which coincided with jumping from a SD to 42" hdtv plasma. eek.gif That smiley pretty much sums up my expression when I made that leap.

Too many systems and games....not enough time or money!

post #75 of 132 Old 05-07-2014, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Playing pro drums in Rock Band 3 for the first time. The first time I fired up my 360 on my projector. The first time I remote played Assassin's Creed IV on my Vita.
post #76 of 132 Old 05-07-2014, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Yesterday.

Played a few games of the Show and it is beautiful. I actually thought that I was video footage a couple of times.

Salminella has become legend (or something like that): PSN
post #77 of 132 Old 05-07-2014, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 199
I think the last time I was REALLY blown away by a game was Fallout 3. It's have to be a tie between emerging from the Vault or blowing up Megaton from Tenpenny Tower. Say what you want about the graphics, bugs (both insects and game-breakers), etc., but that game was probably my favorite game last generation.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
My SD/HD movie collection
post #78 of 132 Old 05-07-2014, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 264
This will probably get some flack, but the last time I was truly blown away by gaming (maybe not so much the technology) was The Last of Us. When I set the controller down after the final cutscene, I knew it would be a long time before I played another game that good. It really sets the bar for how a game should tell a story, and not just let you blow stuff up. Blowing stuff up is good too.
darthrsg and gus738 like this.

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
post #79 of 132 Old 05-07-2014, 06:03 PM

Liked: 10
spy hunter hahha great game
that instincts game fighting cant remember the name
post #80 of 132 Old 05-11-2014, 07:02 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I'll break my votes down into two categories: actual hardware/tech and games themselves.

Actual Hardware That Blew Me Away
3d Acceleration: Folks who referenced the 3dfx Voodoo and Riva128/RivaTNT era totally hit the nail on the head. Much credit goes out to those hardware manufacturers along with the APIs OpenGL, Direct3D and GLIDE.

Online Gaming (with shoutout to Gamespy): As a child, I grew up in the era of games that were not network enabled and/or were playable only in a LAN setting and/or required too much tinkering to play "online." For me, gaming transformed once there was a push toward competitive multiplayer. Credit goes out to "Gamespy" for ushering in this era since it made matchmaking very easy. Much of my teen years were spent fragging away with Quake, Quake 2, and its mods thanks to the ease of Gamespy.

High-Speed Internet: Similarly, the adoption of Cable/DSL as the "norm" was a huge welcome for me. I grew tired of the days of dealing with trying to buy the latest and greatest 56k hardware-based modem from 3Com/U.S. Robotics in order to reduce my ping to high 100ms-250ms. Software-based (i.e. lower-priced and cheap) 56k modems were . My parents, at the time, hated that I tied up the phonelines 24/7 and dial-up plans were usually capped (i.e. X number of hours per month). Naturally, there were workarounds (such as fudging around with Netzero & Juno along with "tools" that made their banners disappear).

Games That Blew Me Away
Quake-engine Games: As mentioned before, I spent SO MUCH TIME playing these games. The Q2 mod called "Action Quake 2" was a popular precursor to Counter-Strike, and the Quake-engine fueled the ever-popular "Half-Life" game. If it weren't for Quake, we wouldn't have CS, HL, Team Fortress 2, and other Source-based games that top the charts present day.

MVP Baseball 2005: The one with Manny Ramirez on the cover. That game, IMO, revolutionized baseball games with its meter-based throwing and its intricate GM/franchise mode. Yes, other baseball games (i.e. MLB series on Playstation, All-Star Baseball 2005, World Series Baseball 2k) had existed but nothing grabbed me as much as MVP did.

Grand Theft Auto III: I never finished GTA III... but most of my time in that game was spent aimlessly wandering around the city doing stupid stuff. More importantly, not only did GTA III usher in the wave of popularity toward open-world games, it alongside with Halo made console gaming very popular amongst the casual gamer.

Things That Haven't Changed Much
This thread made me think about hardware or games that actually haven't changed much over time. It's good food for thought. smile.gif

Hardware Companies: Think about it -- many mainstays of yesteryear still exist including Intel, Asus and Logitech. Even Diamond Multimedia still exists! If anything, there is a higher turnover of gaming companies and/or they are a shell of their former selves (i.e. ID Software) simply due to the volatile nature of the industry.

Audio Speakers & Amplifiers: Except for loseless codecs, the concept of 5.1/7.1 surround sound are still very prevelant many years later. Advances in technology have improved audio quality, but the notion of speakers and amplifiers haven't changed much. We still shop speakers and amplifiers based on the same specs (power, frequency range, etc.)

PC Inputs: If you think about the back of a PC, it's funny how many peripherals today still utilize USB. Audio devices still plug into the same green jack for listening or black for microphone. Heck, motherboards today still offer a PS/2 port and some even provide an Optical S/PDIF. The only drastic change over the last 5-7 years has been the addition of HDMI/DVI.

The Gaming Mouse: IMO, gaming mice haven't evolved much. Yes, marketers throw around terms like high DPI, but I remember rocking out with my old school Logitech Optical Mouse. See a resemblance to the Logitech G100s? wink.gif

DaverJ and gus738 like this.
post #81 of 132 Old 05-11-2014, 07:36 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 36
The Riva TnT2 was the first 3d card I bought. I can't remember exactly how much I paid for it but it really wasn't that much compared to today's high end cards.
Before that I remember video cards were rated for how fast they could fill a 2d space. Render a picture and watch as it would fill in line by line. EGADS! That actually was a thing.
I remember way WAY back in junior high we had these dumb terminals that could play a game called Snake. Watch as a line gets bigger when you steer it over numbers. smile.gif
It's kinda funny cause I think the dumb terminals were more usefull for important information sharing. Did not need to update each and every machine just one server somewhere in the building.
post #82 of 132 Old 05-12-2014, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfmp3 View Post

Some good memories here.

Riverraid, Atari 2600
Coleco Visio - the graphics were soo cool and I had the roller ball controller thing
Ultima series on Commodore 64. The game was soo massive. lol
Ultima underworld PC, the real first 3d first person game
Turbo for Arcade and coleco vision with a wheel.
Super Mario in the Arcade
Wlolfenstein and Doom of course
Mario 64
Far Cry, Crysis.
soundwise, I had a Gravis Ultrasound card that changed how I thought about PC sound.

But I remember when I got my first Monster 3Dfx card. That was a moment for me. Right then and there I knew everything changed. That was a game changer in every sense.

Same here:

For me it was GLQuake, Tombraider Glide, and Mech Warrior 2 on Matrox Mystique..

I still remember VQuake!
post #83 of 132 Old 05-12-2014, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

Absolutely...

I think people dramatically underestimate just how amazing those games were in "OCTOBER 1993". That's what people forget. The 3DO came out in October of 1993, and a very good friend of mine actually had one. He had the Crash N Burn game, and let me tell you, seeing that game on a big 31 inch Mitsubishi, via S-Video, back in late 1993, it was nothing short of spectacular. The texture mapped roads, and the stuff on the side of the roads texture mapped. The digital, pixleated clouds that are floating by in the skybox. I'm telling you Crash N Burn may have aged more than just about any game on the planet, but seriously, if you were there in 1993, you were awestruck. Most people give 3DO short shrift, because they experienced it after Playstation and Saturn. Playstation and Saturn came almost two full years later. Those two years, before the Saturn and PS1 hit, the 3DO was releasing some games that were truly amazing, but most people didn't experience the games till much later, and thought that everything sucked in comparison to PS1 and Saturn. Which maybe it did suck, but in late 1993 and 1994, the 3DO was absolutely killing it.

I owned a 3DO back in the day. Crash n Burn, Total Eclipse and Road Rash were awesome. I just built a HTPC/Titan and played these 3 games on 4DO emulator this weekend. They didn't age well at all. Graphics are painful to look at on a 70" LCD. Still fun but look awful. I also loaded FuhQuake and Duke3d hirez and they look and still play great.
post #84 of 132 Old 05-12-2014, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemeat View Post

PS4 is still an infant. I can't even imagine what Uncharted 4 is going to look like biggrin.gif

Not as good as TombRaider 2013 on the PC @ 2560 x 1600 with all graphics on ultra. wink.gif
Comp625 likes this.
post #85 of 132 Old 05-12-2014, 01:20 PM

so many memories 

post #86 of 132 Old 05-12-2014, 03:01 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadia88 View Post

The Riva TnT2 was the first 3d card I bought. I can't remember exactly how much I paid for it but it really wasn't that much compared to today's high end cards.
Before that I remember video cards were rated for how fast they could fill a 2d space. Render a picture and watch as it would fill in line by line. EGADS! That actually was a thing.
I remember way WAY back in junior high we had these dumb terminals that could play a game called Snake. Watch as a line gets bigger when you steer it over numbers. smile.gif
It's kinda funny cause I think the dumb terminals were more usefull for important information sharing. Did not need to update each and every machine just one server somewhere in the building.

Ha, I remember playing "Snake" on both PC (486 ftw!) and on my TI-83 graphing calculator.

On a side note, there's a litter of old PC tech that is sold on eBay for about $5-$10. For example, a search query for "3dfx voodoo" yielded 58 results. I wonder if there's a legitimate market for these things aside from people building old PC's for old games?
post #87 of 132 Old 05-12-2014, 04:11 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Off the top of my head i'll say the Turbo Express...
post #88 of 132 Old 05-12-2014, 04:13 PM

Liked: 26
Oops that wasnt last time i was blown away lol...
post #89 of 132 Old 05-14-2014, 03:35 PM

Liked: 23
F-19 Stealth Fighter in a PC 8088 It had a HUGE 4 Mb HDD cool.gif
post #90 of 132 Old 05-15-2014, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member