When is the last time you were truly blown away by new gaming technology? - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #121 of 132 Old 10-09-2014, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfmp3 View Post
I feel the same way. This gen with the Ps4/Xb1 just isn't impressing me at all on any level.
It's quite sad actually.

An experience that was so commonplace for me in the early and mid 90's is nearly non-existent nowadays. I used to rush to the mall to get the latest game the second it was available. There was a legit "hype" around certain games back then, games that redefined genres and pushed the boundaries of technology as we know it.

The only thing that I'm seeing now that has any wow factor is that certain cut-scenes almost have a CGI movie quality look to them, which is somewhat impressive, but that's just freaking cut-scenes. Nothing in gameplay is blowing me away at all. People say it was the same way last gen, but I remember when I first saw the sweat dripping down the face of a player in NBA 2K6 on Xbox 360. I was blown away by that. Maybe it didn't last very long, but that was some true next-gen stuff back in very late 2005. Almost 10 years later now, and I'm just not seeing anything that really makes me stand up and take notice.

Also, even if last gen didn't provide the huge jump in graphics, it did wonders for the open world genre and physics and stuff like that. We should at least be seeing vastly improved physics and A.I., but I'm not really noticing anything all that amazing yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 132 Old 10-09-2014, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 90
I don't disagree, but aren't we nostalgic by default of all our memories? I remember fondly many games from the 80s and 90s, but very few hold up today.
DaverJ likes this.

Warning: I make a lot of mistakes but occasionally I learn from them!
post #123 of 132 Old 10-09-2014, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mnemonic View Post
I don't disagree, but aren't we nostalgic by default of all our memories? I remember fondly many games from the 80s and 90s, but very few hold up today.

Well, here's the thing. I have two kids. One is 14, the other is 11. They see new games for PS4 and XB1 all the time. Never once has any of them said that any game totally blew them away in the visuals department.

Back in the 90's, if I was sitting on the couch, playing with my buds, and saw some of the newest games like say... Wipeout for the PS1 back in late 1995, I was shouting and screaming about how amazing everything was. My buddies were doing the same thing.

I just think we've kinda hit this plateau in the current technology, that the only thing we are really seeing on PS4 and XB1 is things looking a lot sharper, and a lot crisper. That's not something that is going to generate oohs and ahhs from the peanut gallery.
post #124 of 132 Old 10-09-2014, 12:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 1429
When is the last time you were truly blown away by new gaming technology?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post
Well, here's the thing. I have two kids. One is 14, the other is 11. They see new games for PS4 and XB1 all the time. Never once has any of them said that any game totally blew them away in the visuals department.

Back in the 90's, if I was sitting on the couch, playing with my buds, and saw some of the newest games like say... Wipeout for the PS1 back in late 1995, I was shouting and screaming about how amazing everything was. My buddies were doing the same thing.

I just think we've kinda hit this plateau in the current technology, that the only thing we are really seeing on PS4 and XB1 is things looking a lot sharper, and a lot crisper. That's not something that is going to generate oohs and ahhs from the peanut gallery.

Well, in that sense oculus might bring that feeling back. The reason I came away so initially disappointed is that the vision in my mind of what VR would be like was a far cry from the actual experience. I mean the DK2 has a 1080p screen, so it's gotta be pretty crisp, right? Then you put the goggles on and it feels like 180p. And the graphics for most stuff have to be kept so simple because anything too complex won't run fast enough, and all the little tricks they use in 2D like SSAO and bump mapping simply don't look right anymore. So in a lot of ways it reminds me of the transition from 2D to 3D games - we went from high resolution 60fps hand drawn art to blocky, blurry and just outright ugly polygons, the games ran sub 30fps and choked every time more than one character was on screen. Plus really basic stuff like controls and camera angles and all that stuff had yet to be figured out. And yet, like you say, despite all that, something as objectively awful by today's standards as wipeout 1 on the PS1 was like the most amazing thing ever at the time.

So don't worry, VR will definitely bring that "OMG this is awesome" feeling back. But for some reason, I'm finding it much harder to ignore the downsides than I was with the transition from pixels to polygons. Clearly they're able to do more with 3D graphics than they'd ever be able to do with 2D, but for many years we had to put up with a huge backwards slide in basic visual and gameplay quality. Because of that I'm a lot more excited about what VR will be in ten years rather than next year. In the near term I'd be much more excited about stereo 3D gaming potentially making a comeback, because there's much less of a quality backslide and you get a considerable amount of that same feeling that you get with VR.
DaverJ and Canaria like this.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510

Last edited by bd2003; 10-09-2014 at 01:00 PM.
post #125 of 132 Old 10-09-2014, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 568
My 8 year old said "wow, how did they make it look so good?" The first time he saw Driveclub. Then he played it "this is hard!"

It sure as heck impresses me
post #126 of 132 Old 10-09-2014, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1

Kids are different and see things differently than we did in our childhood. I'm 31, and when I was a kid, there weren't smartphones, tablets and computers. Well, there were computers, but like VHS Camcorders, they were expensive as heck, so we didn't have one. Kids today are desensitized to technology in a way that we can't understand. That's probably why your kids just don't get excited about that stuff.

I remember reading an issue of Gamefan and they were talking about the M2, the add-on that would never come to be for the 3DO. They talked about Mortal Kombat 3 being "arcade-perfect." I remember how excited I was, but knew my parents couldn't afford it. There is no more excitement like that for me, and I think that's because I'm older and set my expectations properly. The last game I was really hyped up for was Skyrim, and before that, Fallout 3. I just don't buy into the hype anymore, mainly because it's setting yourself up to be let down.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
My SD/HD movie collection
post #127 of 132 Old 10-09-2014, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

BD2003 - Well, you did get the DK2, and don't they have something even newer ? Also, I'm not sure that the very first version of VR that is consumer released will be the one that I jump on. I might wait until version 2.0, because I would expect the screen improvement to jump by leaps and bounds in version 2.0.

It's going to be hard to hold back until they have a newer version, but I'm going to try to hold out.

There is also of course Morpheus for PS4. We'll have to see if Sony ever decides to release anything.
post #128 of 132 Old 10-09-2014, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
You failed them as parent buy letting them have too nice of a selection on games too early.

You should have made them play Atari2600 for the first 4-5 years,, then the next 5 years of NES. Making sure to never let them see their friends play games from 3 decades later.
post #129 of 132 Old 10-09-2014, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 33
"Soul Calibur" for the Sega Dreamcast is a game I found very impressive back then.
post #130 of 132 Old 10-09-2014, 09:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 1429
Quote:
BD2003 - Well, you did get the DK2, and don't they have something even newer ? Also, I'm not sure that the very first version of VR that is consumer released will be the one that I jump on. I might wait until version 2.0, because I would expect the screen improvement to jump by leaps and bounds in version 2.0.

It's going to be hard to hold back until they have a newer version, but I'm going to try to hold out.

There is also of course Morpheus for PS4. We'll have to see if Sony ever decides to release anything.
They have a newer prototype, but it's not available to buy. I'm sure it's better, but there's no way they've made enough progress yet for it to be adequate to most people. I think the first consumer release will be juuuust good enough to be tolerable. The only problem is the more they improve the screen, the more you'll need to improve your GPU. And it's already pushing the limits of even the fastest GPUs as it is.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #131 of 132 Old 10-09-2014, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Teixeira View Post
"Soul Calibur" for the Sega Dreamcast is a game I found very impressive back then.
Yes! That was the game that made me get a Dreamcast. It is nicer than the arcade one as well. Lizard man
post #132 of 132 Old 10-09-2014, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked: 778
Xbox 360's Kameo at launch was my last wow gaming moment.

Before that probably Prince of Persia Sands of Time on PC.

Before that the original God of War on PS2.
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page