PS4 firmware 1.70 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 44 Old 04-25-2014, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 226
An April 30th launch has been announced for the new PS4 feature patch. Full 1.70 details:
Quote:
  • SHAREfactory: After you update your PS4 to v1.70, an icon to download our free SHAREfactory app will appear on your PS4 system’s home screen once it’s available. Once installed, SHAREfactory allows you to easily customize your gameplay videos with special effects, video commentary with picture-in-picture capability through PlayStation Camera, and custom soundtracks using the included audio tracks or your original music imported from a USB drive. You can then share your videos on Facebook or export them to an external USB storage device. The app is packed with plenty of cool, but accessible, tools. It’s simple enough to use for beginning editors, while functioning as a rich video editor for those with more creative aspirations. Check out our new SHAREfactory video that provides a walkthrough of what you can expect:

• Automatic Pre-download: No more waiting until after a game is released to start downloading select pre-ordered games from PlayStation Store. This new feature allows you to get to your games faster by automatically downloading select pre-ordered games up to several days in advance of the release, so that it’s ready to play as soon as the game is released on launch day. There’s also a countdown timer prior to the release of the game so you’ll know how soon your game will be available for you to start playing.

• Option to Disable HDCP for Games: This highly requested feature will allow you to have the option to turn off HDCP for games so you can capture longer gameplay sessions directly from your HDMI output and export them elsewhere.

• USB Export Option for Captured Gameplay: It’s now even easier to show off your heroic gaming moments and the SHAREfactory videos you create with the world using this feature to export your videos and screenshots to a USB drive. Just click on the DUALSHOCK 4 SHARE button, save your gameplay on a USB drive, and then share your proudest achievements on other social networks and other video platforms.

• Live Broadcasting in HD and Archiving Support: We’ve increased the resolution for live broadcasts so you and your friends can watch games livestreamed in 720p HD. You can also archive your broadcasts on Twitch or Ustream and watch them again later.

• New SHARE Options: We’ve got a number of new SHARE settings that will give you better control of what you want to share with your friends. Here is what you can look forward to:
    • Change the default gameplay recording time in the SHARE menu under Video Clip Settings.
    • Save only the video clips and screenshots you want by selecting Upload Screenshots or Upload Video Clips for each capture. Also upload video clips and screenshots during your live gameplay broadcasts.
    • Select specific Facebook audiences to share each video or screenshot with.

• New DUALSHOCK 4 Options: New light bar settings have been added for DUALSHOCK 4, allowing you to change it to Bright, Medium or Dim in the Settings menu. The touchpad has also been updated, allowing you to navigate the on-screen keyboard using the DUALSHOCK 4 touchpad.

• New Friends Options: It’s now easier to find Friends and send requests with the ability to search Friends-of-Friends, view Mutual Friends on another user’s profile, and accept Friend requests directly from the Friends list.

• New Trophies Sort Option: You can now sort Trophies by rarity in the Options menu.

• PlayStation Store Payment Support: Similar to PS3, we’re introducing Alternative Payment Methods (APMs) for PS4 for content purchased on PS Store, starting with PayPal support.

• More PlayStation Camera Commands: More voice commands are added to PlayStation Camera, allowing you to launch the apps installed on your PS4 with the sound of your voice.

• New PlayStation Plus Icon: For Plus members, you’ll now have the PS Plus icon appear next to your SEN ID on the login screen, home screen and other areas across the PS4 system’s sleek user interface.

• Music Unlimited SHARE Options: With a Music Unlimited subscription, you can easily share your favorite songs with your friends by pressing the SHARE button on your DUALSHOCK 4.
DarrellG likes this.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 04-25-2014, 09:07 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I'd like them to make creating and inviting people into a Party more streamlined ala the Xbox. Way too many clicks and pauses and what not to get one started on PS4. And the herky jerky pauses don't help either.
post #3 of 44 Old 04-25-2014, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Great news.

I wonder if they're going to have any updates for the browser. I had one of those WTF moments last night when I tried to play a video from the official Sony Playstation Blog using the PS4 browser. The video wouldn't play and the screen noted that I didn't have the appropriate plug-in.
post #4 of 44 Old 04-25-2014, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Ya I've noticed the same with certain flash based content...

PS3 does fine with it still, although less memory.

"Damn, you can't get black levels like that on your projector!"
- My brother, just before he realized his LED display had died.

Link to my Basement build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1529034/conspiracy-basement-build
post #5 of 44 Old 04-26-2014, 07:41 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 67
They'd teased "additional features" in the past. I reaaaaaaally hope we get the ability to organize the menu bar as mine is getting ridiculously long. Yes it's fast to scroll, but still a dumb way to leave things.

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
post #6 of 44 Old 04-26-2014, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I agree.

post #7 of 44 Old 04-26-2014, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 196
DLNA???!?!?!??

I do not care about anything else besides that and battery life in controller
post #8 of 44 Old 04-26-2014, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I have this feeling that Sony is just waiting for Microsoft to shoot first, proclaiming the Xbone as the best media box you can get.

Then boom.

firmware 2.0 that adds everything the PS3 had media and bluray wise.

Until then, crickets.
post #9 of 44 Old 04-26-2014, 06:46 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I hope that the 1.7 update fixes the audio issue affecting NBA 2K14 (since the 1.6 update apparently caused it).
post #10 of 44 Old 04-27-2014, 09:14 AM
Advanced Member

post #11 of 44 Old 04-27-2014, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks. The first post has been updated with the NA info.

post #12 of 44 Old 04-28-2014, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by defdog99 View Post

I have this feeling that Sony is just waiting for Microsoft to shoot first, proclaiming the Xbone as the best media box you can get.

Then boom.

firmware 2.0 that adds everything the PS3 had media and bluray wise.

Until then, crickets.

I'm thinking your correct. It also doesn't hurt PS3 sales. I know when my PS3 died, I had to go find another one since my PS4 doesn't do media. I bought used though.
post #13 of 44 Old 04-29-2014, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Full 1.70 details:
Quote:
  • SHAREfactory: After you update your PS4 to v1.70, an icon to download our free SHAREfactory app will appear on your PS4 system’s home screen once it’s available. Once installed, SHAREfactory allows you to easily customize your gameplay videos with special effects, video commentary with picture-in-picture capability through PlayStation Camera, and custom soundtracks using the included audio tracks or your original music imported from a USB drive. You can then share your videos on Facebook or export them to an external USB storage device. The app is packed with plenty of cool, but accessible, tools. It’s simple enough to use for beginning editors, while functioning as a rich video editor for those with more creative aspirations. Check out our new SHAREfactory video that provides a walkthrough of what you can expect:

• Automatic Pre-download: No more waiting until after a game is released to start downloading select pre-ordered games from PlayStation Store. This new feature allows you to get to your games faster by automatically downloading select pre-ordered games up to several days in advance of the release, so that it’s ready to play as soon as the game is released on launch day. There’s also a countdown timer prior to the release of the game so you’ll know how soon your game will be available for you to start playing.

• Option to Disable HDCP for Games: This highly requested feature will allow you to have the option to turn off HDCP for games so you can capture longer gameplay sessions directly from your HDMI output and export them elsewhere.

• USB Export Option for Captured Gameplay: It’s now even easier to show off your heroic gaming moments and the SHAREfactory videos you create with the world using this feature to export your videos and screenshots to a USB drive. Just click on the DUALSHOCK 4 SHARE button, save your gameplay on a USB drive, and then share your proudest achievements on other social networks and other video platforms.

• Live Broadcasting in HD and Archiving Support: We’ve increased the resolution for live broadcasts so you and your friends can watch games livestreamed in 720p HD. You can also archive your broadcasts on Twitch or Ustream and watch them again later.

• New SHARE Options: We’ve got a number of new SHARE settings that will give you better control of what you want to share with your friends. Here is what you can look forward to:
    • Change the default gameplay recording time in the SHARE menu under Video Clip Settings.
    • Save only the video clips and screenshots you want by selecting Upload Screenshots or Upload Video Clips for each capture. Also upload video clips and screenshots during your live gameplay broadcasts.
    • Select specific Facebook audiences to share each video or screenshot with.

• New DUALSHOCK 4 Options: New light bar settings have been added for DUALSHOCK 4, allowing you to change it to Bright, Medium or Dim in the Settings menu. The touchpad has also been updated, allowing you to navigate the on-screen keyboard using the DUALSHOCK 4 touchpad.

• New Friends Options: It’s now easier to find Friends and send requests with the ability to search Friends-of-Friends, view Mutual Friends on another user’s profile, and accept Friend requests directly from the Friends list.

• New Trophies Sort Option: You can now sort Trophies by rarity in the Options menu.

• PlayStation Store Payment Support: Similar to PS3, we’re introducing Alternative Payment Methods (APMs) for PS4 for content purchased on PS Store, starting with PayPal support.

• More PlayStation Camera Commands: More voice commands are added to PlayStation Camera, allowing you to launch the apps installed on your PS4 with the sound of your voice.

• New PlayStation Plus Icon: For Plus members, you’ll now have the PS Plus icon appear next to your SEN ID on the login screen, home screen and other areas across the PS4 system’s sleek user interface.

• Music Unlimited SHARE Options: With a Music Unlimited subscription, you can easily share your favorite songs with your friends by pressing the SHARE button on your DUALSHOCK 4.

post #14 of 44 Old 04-30-2014, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 143
The Vita is getting an update that improves remote play (especially connection time!) but I wish they would let you switch to the newer control scheme for older games (and it seems even games like Trials.)

The Playstation App on iOS also went universal and now supports push notifications.
post #15 of 44 Old 04-30-2014, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoThru22 View Post

The Vita is getting an update that improves remote play (especially connection time!) but I wish they would let you switch to the newer control scheme for older games (and it seems even games like Trials.)

The Playstation App on iOS also went universal and now supports push notifications.

It also allows you to add friends form the app.

So add me beeoches!

HazeDG13 biggrin.gif
post #16 of 44 Old 04-30-2014, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

It took about four minutes or so for the new FW to dload and install for me. As the notes say, there are three options for dimming the light bar. The lowest setting dims it about 50% or so. I never had a major problem with the original setting, but some will prefer to leave it that way. Don't expect battery savings either way since it still is just an LED light after all.

post #17 of 44 Old 04-30-2014, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Here's a list of other changes that aren't in the official notes.
Thanks to the guys and gals at NeoGAF:
Quote:
-Notifications: New notification type: From PlayStation.
-System: Multi user login with a single DS4.
-System: No more log in screen when reconnecting the DS4
-System: When a game crashes you can now chose to attach a video clip in the feedback
-Settings: Option to enable sending in the crash reports automatically.
-Settings - Audio: You can now force the PS4 to output 5.1 channel audio over HDMI even if it detects 7.1 channel support.
-Settings - Video: Deep Colour Output.
-Share: Upload multiple screenshots to Facebook at the same time.
-Streaming: Comments/viewers notifications when you are in a full screen streaming.
-Streaming: You can still upload screenshots/video while broadcasting.
-Streaming: You can view comments without having to switch streaming modes

All of these are improvements. I'm specially happy to see the login prompt go away when turning on the controller.

PSN: CrashLanding (please ID requests as AVS)
post #18 of 44 Old 04-30-2014, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 679
So "Deep Color" is in PS3 as well. How does you know if you should use it? Does it make anything better?
post #19 of 44 Old 04-30-2014, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemeat View Post

So "Deep Color" is in PS3 as well. How does you know if you should use it? Does it make anything better?
It makes colors deeper, duh!
freemeat likes this.
post #20 of 44 Old 04-30-2014, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoThru22 View Post

It makes colors deeper, duh!

Alright, I'll activate it with my flux decapitator for the ultimate gaming experience.
DarrellG likes this.
post #21 of 44 Old 04-30-2014, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Some same info that Crash44 posted, but a few items highlighted that should be awares to lotta folks here:
Quote:
Notifications: New notification type: From PlayStation.
System: You can now log in with multiple users with a single DualShock 4 controller without logging out the others.
System: The “What’s New” menu now has timestamps.
System: The log-in screen won’t be displayed anymore when reconnecting the DS4.
System: When a game crashes you can now choose to attach a video clip in the error report and send it to Sony.
System: Added option to automatically send error reports to Sony.
System: HDCP has to be enabled in order to watch Blu-Ray movies.
System: Several options have been added to the Video Playback Settings menu.
Settings – Audio: You can now force the PS4 to output 5.1 channel audio over HDMI even if it detects 7.1 channel support.
Settings – Video: “Deep Color Output” added. It’s possible to set it to “off” and “automatic”.
Share: It’s now possible to upload multiple screenshots to Facebook at the same time.
Streaming: Comments/viewers notifications added when you are in a full screen streaming.
Streaming: You can now upload screenshots and video while broadcasting.
Streaming: You can now view comments without having to switch streaming modes.
Remote Play: The PS Vita won’t fail to connect to your PS4 anymore if you have USB devices like keyboards or similar connected to it.

PSN & XBL: Epyon415
Twitch.tv: http://www.twitch.tv/epyon415
Twitter: @gundumgaming
YouTube Gameplay Videos
post #22 of 44 Old 04-30-2014, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 287
Quote:

Very few if any games support Deep Color, and you'd need a TV that supports it as well.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
My SD/HD movie collection
post #23 of 44 Old 04-30-2014, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brad View Post

Very few if any games support Deep Color, and you'd need a TV that supports it as well.

Are there any examples of games with and without it?
post #24 of 44 Old 04-30-2014, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't think so. And to my knowledge, the difference is so very little that you'd be hard pressed to see a difference.

post #25 of 44 Old 04-30-2014, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't think so. And to my knowledge, the difference is so very little that you'd be hard pressed to see a difference.

Like 720p versus 1080p difference in gaming or DVD vs Blu-ray? tongue.gif
post #26 of 44 Old 04-30-2014, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Resolution doesn't matter! XD
freemeat likes this.

post #27 of 44 Old 04-30-2014, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:

Quote:

Like 720p versus 1080p difference in gaming or DVD vs Blu-ray? tongue.gif

LOL

Just check the "Automatic" box and the magic will happen... automatically!

PSN: CrashLanding (please ID requests as AVS)
post #28 of 44 Old 04-30-2014, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Good update. No folders though.

"Damn, you can't get black levels like that on your projector!"
- My brother, just before he realized his LED display had died.

Link to my Basement build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1529034/conspiracy-basement-build
post #29 of 44 Old 04-30-2014, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Cool non-documented improvements:
Quote:
Secret PS4 Firmware Update 1.70 Features

To begin, did you notice the new ‘From PlayStation’ notifications type? This can be found in the, er, ‘Notifications’ section, and will presumably be used as a promotional tool by the platform holder to direct users towards PlayStation Store sales and the like. Another possibility is the ability for the firm to detail maintenance windows.

There are also some changes to accounts. You can now, for example, attach multiple users to a single DualShock 4, and moreover, bypass the log in screen when reconnecting the controller to the console. Elsewhere, you can switch on automatic crash reports, and opt to attach videos when your system does something bad. This could be particularly helpful for developers, as opposed to trying to decipher bugs via text descriptions, they will now be able to receive video evidence of potential problems. That’s a really cool implementation of the share technology in our opinion.

But that’s actually not all. You can now force 5.1 channel audio even if the system detects 7.1 support, and also enable ‘Deep Colour Output’ in the screen settings – even if we couldn’t really see much of a difference on our display. Lastly, you can now upload multiple screenshots to Facebook at once, and you can carry this procedure out while you’re broadcasting to Twitch or Ustream.

post #30 of 44 Old 05-01-2014, 04:52 AM
Advanced Member

A small thing I noticed when using the browser. When zooming in or out, the system does a little bit of a fade instead of an abrupt change.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply PlayStation Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page