PS3 audio and video setup and settings with hdtv and home theater system - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 05-07-2014, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I recently purchased a PS3 and would really appreciate anyone's help with some questions I'm having about setup and audio & video settings within the PS3 menus.

My current HDTV is a Vizio VL320M/VM370M (both are listed on the manual?) and a Sony DAV-DZ175 Home Theater System (Dolby digital pro logic II and dts digital surround on the front of the box). The Sony home theater has only an optical in and a coax in (no hdmi in). I have an HD comcast box hooked up to the TV by HDMI and an optical cable from the HDTV 'out' to the home theater 'in'. As far as I know, I am getting real surround sound if possible from the source (HD TV broadcast). I believe this is the optimal setup based on my equipment.

Now I am planning to connect the PS3 to the HDTV via HDMI cable. Since the audio will, in theory, be traveling to the tv by HDMI and then to the home theater via optical cable, is this still the optimal setup? I cannot connect the PS3 directly to the home theater by optical cable because my home theater has only one optical in.

Based on this setup, and if it is the correct one, I would really appreciate some suggestions about the PS3 video and audio settings within the PS3 menus. Any help would truly be appreciated and yes, I have reviewed forums and done searches but could not (to my surprise) find anyone with this setup. I would like to be able to experience real surround sound from PS3 content (games, dvds blu rays).

*I realize I cannot experience lossless audio without a receiver with HDMI inputs.

Thank you so much guys!

Reply PlayStation Area
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page