Rocksmith 2014 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 05-10-2014, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I finally got around to picking up Rocksmith 2014, and I am very pleasantly surprised. I had played the original Rocksmith and thought it had a lot of potential, but felt the note detection was wonky, the UI was clunky, and the song list was beyond pathetic. 2014 addresses all of these problems and adds some great new features to boot.

The UI has been improved across the board. The choppy, linear menu system from the first game is gone, with song navigation now letting you sort by a variety of options, similar to Rock Band 2 & 3. The in-game fretboard has been enhanced to show fret numbers, fingering, and chord names, so you have all the info you need to sight read the note charts.

The boring career mode from the first game is gone, replaced by a mission system that leads you through different aspects of the game, including guitar lessons, session play (a reactive jam session where you can tweak just about everything), a vastly improved guitarcade, and different modes for playing the songs in your library.

The song list is now centered around recognizable hard rock and metal songs, with some grunge, classic rock, and modern fare mixed in. This is exactly what a guitar game's song list should be like. I don't know what they were smoking when they came up with the original game's pile of coffeehouse dreck, but they've fully redeemed themselves here. The DLC offers some great options too, like packs of Iron Maiden, Rush, Boston, Aerosmith, Judas Priest, and Megadeth. All of the original Rocksmith DLC works in this game too, and if you're a masochist you can even pay $10 to import the songs from the original game -- but why would you?

My fingers are sore and calloused from all the time I've spent with the game so far. Well worth the price of admission.

- Jer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-12-2014, 08:01 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 186
It's too bad it took you this long. There are also a lot more techniques added, like pinch harmonics, accents, chord slides, etc. Dark souls has been eating into my time playing though.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #3 of 11 Old 05-12-2014, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 462
Anybody try this on bass?
post #4 of 11 Old 05-12-2014, 08:31 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Yes I play both.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #5 of 11 Old 05-12-2014, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 462
OK so is this just play by numbers or do they present theory? I've played for a few years and have the technique but wouldn't mind the theory part. Heh, I could play the Trooper and War Ensemble a couple years ago but the cover band I was in split off and I moved on to easier modern metal tunes. I'd still rather play old school thrash though. Ive been interested in Rock Smith but I didn't think anyone on here played. This might get me back into the playing mood.
post #6 of 11 Old 05-12-2014, 10:01 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

If you're really interested I would suggest the official forums. There's a pretty good community there.

http://forums.ubi.com/forumdisplay.php/22-Rocksmith?s=0153b48753a53e49d31d24047e2bad19

There are quite a few lessons you can use, the jam session, and learn a song is very helpful. But in terms of theory the game is pretty light.

I would not use the game as the only tool to learn guitar. If you're in the mindset to learn and have the willpower to keep practicing, it's a good tool to go along with something else, like a teacher or online lessons.

I play the PC version, so I can play at home or with my laptop if I want to take it mobile.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #7 of 11 Old 05-12-2014, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
So laptop + headphones?

I've been waiting for ps4 or xbone release but I'm getting tired of waiting so maybe I'll grab mac version.

xbl/gamecenter: leff4
psn/twitter: ileff
my app: video poker clock
post #8 of 11 Old 05-12-2014, 11:18 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

There is not going to be a next gen version. Maybe next game.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #9 of 11 Old 05-12-2014, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Can you even do HDMI video plus analog audio out on PS4? I'm doing it on PS3 via a buried audio option in order to eliminate audio lag for Rock Band and Rocksmith, but I wasn't sure if that was supported on PS4. It's pretty much mandatory for Rocksmith...

- Jer
post #10 of 11 Old 05-12-2014, 08:51 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Rocksmith 2014 handles the lag much better.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #11 of 11 Old 05-13-2014, 10:09 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Here's a bunch of songs on bass. If you watch the vids, be prepared to be blown away by some people that don't have good rhythm smile.gif

http://www.theriffrepeater.com/20-songs-rocksmith-2014-need-try-bass/

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page