Anybody using the Sony 4K TV with a PS4 ? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-23-2014, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 212
According to Slick Deals, Fry's is selling last years 55 inch 4K model for $1697 or something like that. In store only... Had I not just bought a projector the other day, I'd be very, very interested in grabbing one of these. Unfortunately, I'd have to pay tax, as well as a small E-Waste fee, and it would take my total to like $1830, and I still wouldn't have the Sony 4K streaming box to go with it. I'd have to snag one of those on Ebay for another $280, taking my total expenditure to like $2100.

So, I'm probably not going to do it, although I will totally admit that I'm very tempted. This 55 inch Sony would be the biggest TV I could fit inside my current Entertainment Center thing that I have. It would just barely fit. Anything bigger wouldn't fit in there. So, I am slightly tempted, but does the PS4 look amazing on it ?

Does the Xbox One look amazing on it ?

Or, am I better off just forgetting all about this, and waiting for a much better deal next year. Hell, I just got a BenQ W1070 for my media room, do I really need to concern myself with the living room TV right now ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2014, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 183
I bought the W1070 in January and love gaming on it. I have a 65" VT60 and don't even bother gaming on it anymore. 120" projector is just so much better. I can't see how a 55" 4K TV would be better. How far would you sit from it? To really see the extra pixels you would have to sit extremely close.

Xbox Live: TheRealMaxPower --- PSN: TheRealMaxPower

Panasonic TC-P65VT60    Vienna Acoustic Mozart Grands    Onkyo TX-SR805   Sony BDP-S790

Astro Mixamp 2013   Schiit Modi    AKG K702 65th Anniversary   Antlion ModMic    Sennheiser PC360

Theater- Benq W1070    Elite 120" projection...

Old 05-23-2014, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyrnes View Post

I bought the W1070 in January and love gaming on it. I have a 65" VT60 and don't even bother gaming on it anymore. 120" projector is just so much better. I can't see how a 55" 4K TV would be better. How far would you sit from it? To really see the extra pixels you would have to sit extremely close.

Well, The Sony 4K would be for the living room, where we have an entertainment center thing, that can barely fit this TV.

The projector is in my converted garage, that I made into a cheapo theater room. I normally prefer using the projector of course, but sometimes you want to kick back in the living room, rather than going into the man cave. Sometimes I don't want to be in the dungeon, so to speak. Sure, the theater room, with no light sources, and the projector doing it's thing, is an amazing experience, but at the same time, sometimes it's nice being in the living room with a wee bit of sunlight coming into the room, etc, etc.
Old 05-24-2014, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked: 344
Funny, I was just looking over Fry's and had seen a couple 4K models (Samsung iirc) at Costco yesterday. Be interesting to own a unit, but since neither console supports it gaming wise just yet, might be best to hold off. We know prices drop all the time and there are at least 2 more holiday sales between now and the fall gaming release season. Sucks no one sells AV equipment with a focus area for gaming.

PSN & XBL: Epyon415
Twitch.tv: http://www.twitch.tv/epyon415
Twitter: @gundumgaming
YouTube Gameplay Videos
Old 05-25-2014, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

4K is too early in development to consider right now. There is very little content to justify the price. The technology will get better (cheap OLED I hope). Personally I only want a 4K projector as I see no need otherwise.
gus738 and kjr39 like this.

Panasonic TC-P65VT60    Vienna Acoustic Mozart Grands    Onkyo TX-SR805   Sony BDP-S790

Astro Mixamp 2013   Schiit Modi    AKG K702 65th Anniversary   Antlion ModMic    Sennheiser PC360

Old 05-25-2014, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 747
Quote:

4K is too early in development to consider right now. There is very little content to justify the price. The technology will get better (cheap OLED I hope). Personally I only want a 4K projector as I see no need otherwise.

this... my TV is 9 years old, but it is 1080P and i really want a new TV, but there isn't really any content to justify me buying a new TV, so i am waiting until consoles support 4K... i will just keep replacing my bulb on my sony xbr2
Old 05-26-2014, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 40
You might have to wait 2 generations.

This next one appears to be 4k at 30FPS. Which isn't usable for gaming.
Old 05-27-2014, 02:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I will be using the Sony X850B with my PS4 tonight. I just bought the TV last week and it arrived today.
Old 05-27-2014, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

To really see the extra pixels you would have to sit extremely close.

what extra pixels?

you would need a pc to go more than 1080p.

xbl/gamecenter: leff4
psn/twitter: ileff
my app: video poker clock
Old 05-27-2014, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ileff View Post

what extra pixels?

That's the problem with 4K in general. To see the extra pixels you need to be extremely close. Forget content, I don't have to even worry about that since I see no need for 4K in the home environment.

Old 05-27-2014, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 247
The inevitable access to 4k content will change this but I'm more worried about access to reference level physical media that I can actually own and the infrastructure to support DD only (forced) situations like cable TV. It simply doesn't exist right now.

Any sports fan will tell you that live sports in 1080p and especially 720p (you suck Fox!) is still a generally terrible experience, regardless of the best TV technology that money can buy.

I believe that 1998 was the 1st super bowl that was broadcast in HD. Great at the time but sadly, we have nothing better 16 years later. Life is short... time to go read a book...
Old 05-28-2014, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 217
One word - Scaling

I despise Scaling. Considering most games aren't even true 1080p, the console is scaling from 900p to 1080p, then your TV is scaling 1080 to 4k = bad bad bad for picture quality, sharpness, and lag. With TV content its even worse, your going from 720p content to 4k. That's quite a jump to scale.

Back in the 720p days, nobody was happy with 720p content on 1080p TV's, or go back further - SD content on 720p displays and or even worse 1080p displays. I am at a loss as to why people dismiss scaling issues with 4k TV's. There's nothing ready for 4k yet, don't bother.

We need better TV;s. Plasma's are gone. LCD/LED always were, always will be crap, OLED is apparently on hold. We need HDR. We need better colors, better motion, better viewing angles, quieter, cooler, less power hungry TV's. 4k is that last thing we need next to curved screens.

The industry is just so sad right now.
gus738 and mbyrnes like this.
Old 05-28-2014, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfmp3 View Post

One word - Scaling

I despise Scaling. Considering most games aren't even true 1080p, the console is scaling from 900p to 1080p, then your TV is scaling 1080 to 4k = bad bad bad for picture quality, sharpness, and lag. With TV content its even worse, your going from 720p content to 4k. That's quite a jump to scale.

You know what's interesting though, is that I actually got a demo of one of these Sony 4K displays, and the guy showed me a video that was on a thumbdrive or something, and it was a trailer of Gran Turismo 6 running on the PS3, but it was of course showing the super beautiful replays, not the normal gameplay view, but it looked quite gorgeous on this Sony 4K display. I was impressed, but I must admit that I've never really seen Gran Turismo 6 running in person, so maybe it's just a stunning looking game, and the replays of that game would look good on any TV. I'm not sure. But I know it looked damn good, and the only thing I could think of was wondering what some of the best looking parts of Infamous would look on that display.

I need to bring my PS4 to best buy and ask them if I can see Infamous running on one of their 4K Sony's.
Old 05-29-2014, 04:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

You know what's interesting though, is that I actually got a demo of one of these Sony 4K displays, and the guy showed me a video that was on a thumbdrive or something, and it was a trailer of Gran Turismo 6 running on the PS3, but it was of course showing the super beautiful replays, not the normal gameplay view, but it looked quite gorgeous on this Sony 4K display. I was impressed, but I must admit that I've never really seen Gran Turismo 6 running in person, so maybe it's just a stunning looking game, and the replays of that game would look good on any TV. I'm not sure. But I know it looked damn good, and the only thing I could think of was wondering what some of the best looking parts of Infamous would look on that display.

I need to bring my PS4 to best buy and ask them if I can see Infamous running on one of their 4K Sony's.

Also bring a measuring tape. 4K looks awesome up close, but from a normal seating distance they look no different than a 1080p. I would take a high end plasma over the current 4K offerings anyday. It's why I bought my 65" VT60 and have absolutely no regrets.
gus738 and slyderulz like this.

Old 06-04-2014, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I am using a PS4 on one of Sony's 1st generation 4k TVs (the XBR65X900A model). I am coming from an older model LED LCD TV, so for me it is a huge step up, picture quality wise. I don't game competitively (I suck at online MP, but then again, perhaps it is because of lag). But for single-player games, it is an incredible TV. In fact, this TV has even less lag than my old TV, so perhaps I should give TitanFall another go. But yes, Second Son looks gorgeous. Heck, I was in the process of platinuming Infamous 1 when I got this TV, and the picture improvement form my old TV to this TV even on that old game was quite nice to behold. Much better black levels/shadow detail, more vibrant colors, etc. I sit less than 8' from the screen, so that may help in my enjoyment/appreciation of the TV.

Xbox/PS/WiiU gamertag: GoNats
Apple Game Center: iGoNats

Old 06-08-2014, 10:52 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbburns View Post

I am using a PS4 on one of Sony's 1st generation 4k TVs (the XBR65X900A model). I am coming from an older model LED LCD TV, so for me it is a huge step up, picture quality wise. I don't game competitively (I suck at online MP, but then again, perhaps it is because of lag). But for single-player games, it is an incredible TV. In fact, this TV has even less lag than my old TV, so perhaps I should give TitanFall another go. But yes, Second Son looks gorgeous. Heck, I was in the process of platinuming Infamous 1 when I got this TV, and the picture improvement form my old TV to this TV even on that old game was quite nice to behold. Much better black levels/shadow detail, more vibrant colors, etc. I sit less than 8' from the screen, so that may help in my enjoyment/appreciation of the TV.

Hi your setup is exactly like the one I am thinking of buying.. Its just that I am afraid that after investing 3000 $ for the 4k tv (the model you have)  its going to look blurry or sub par when gaming.  I know that games do NOT ouput at 4k.  But just want to make sre that the upconverting of the 4k Tv keeps the games looking good..

I currently have a samsung Samsung LN40A750 40-Inch.. and I have bypassed different newer tv models after that because the colors have mostly look washed out .. the samsung i have is rich and saturated but not overly..

What other ps4 games you play?  Do they look good?  Does the clarity remain?  

I love the graphics of Second Son so if you think they look good I am likely sold..  any chance to post a pic of the screen?

I wish best buy would have a ps4 plugged into their sony model :)

Thanks!

Old 06-09-2014, 01:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by ileff View Post

what extra pixels?

My question is, Why would you want to see the pixels at all? I'm pretty sure the goal is to sit far enough back that you can't actually see any pixels, just details in the picture without actually being able to discern the individual pixels, right? As long as the extra detail can be noticed on the screen, you are fine and with the vast majority of content being 1080p or less, there is no point to getting a 4k tv yet unless you are simply buying a companies high-end, flagship model for all the bells and whistles and the acompanying increase in picture quality. (perfectly good reason to buy one)

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
Old 06-09-2014, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luism2008 View Post

Hi your setup is exactly like the one I am thinking of buying.. Its just that I am afraid that after investing 3000 $ for the 4k tv (the model you have)  its going to look blurry or sub par when gaming.  I know that games do NOT ouput at 4k.  But just want to make sre that the upconverting of the 4k Tv keeps the games looking good..

I currently have a samsung Samsung LN40A750 40-Inch.. and I have bypassed different newer tv models after that because the colors have mostly look washed out .. the samsung i have is rich and saturated but not overly..

What other ps4 games you play?  Do they look good?  Does the clarity remain?  
I love the graphics of Second Son so if you think they look good I am likely sold..  any chance to post a pic of the screen?

I wish best buy would have a ps4 plugged into their sony model smile.gif

Thanks!
In addition to Second Son, I also have Killzone and AC4. I know AC4 looked pretty damned nice on my old TV, but I haven't checked it out on the new one since I beat the game months ago. I also have all of the free PS4 games that go along with being a PS+ member (i.e., Resogun, Trine 2, Don't Starve, Outlast, etc.), although I haven't played any of those games aside from a few levels of Resogun back in November.

I don't know how this TV compares with your current TV when it comes to vibrant colors, but it is pretty nice. I'll try to snap some pictures tonight if I get a chance. Not sure how well they'll convey the true image, though.

Old 06-09-2014, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

In addition to Second Son, I also have Killzone and AC4. I know AC4 looked pretty damned nice on my old TV, but I haven't checked it out on the new one since I beat the game months ago. I also have all of the free PS4 games that go along with being a PS+ member (i.e., Resogun, Trine 2, Don't Starve, Outlast, etc.), although I haven't played any of those games aside from a few levels of Resogun back in November.

I don't know how this TV compares with your current TV when it comes to vibrant colors, but it is pretty nice. I'll try to snap some pictures tonight if I get a chance. Not sure how well they'll convey the true image, though.

Thanks.. I already made the jump and purchased.. So I hope it works out..  

-Luis

Old 06-10-2014, 05:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luism2008 View Post

Thanks.. I already made the jump and purchased.. So I hope it works out..  
-Luis
Congrats on your choice. Simply going from a 40" screen to a 65" screen is going to blow your mind, and with the added pixels, the image should still be every bit as good at whatever distance you sit from your TV. I don't think you will have any regrets. Check out the thread for this TV here http://www.avsforum.com/t/1473062/official-sony-x9-xbr-55x900a-xbr-65x900a-owners-thread. Look for a poster named AustinJerry. He has his calibrated settings in his signature. It is a good jumping off point to get your TV looking pretty good right off the bat. Please post your impressions when you get everything set up and have time to game on it. Good luck!

Old 06-10-2014, 05:28 AM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:

Congrats on your choice. Simply going from a 40" screen to a 65" screen is going to blow your mind...

Plus 1 on screen size increase! EVERYTHING is better jumping up ≥ 20" in screen size.

PSN ID: javant86
Xbox Live: PikturePerfekt
Old 07-10-2014, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Does playing with a PS4 on a 4K TV improves the image quality over a 1080p TV? I have seen some videos on youtube.com of people playing with their PS4 on their 4K TVs and they swear they have seen a improvement (due to the 4K upscaling) over their former 1080p TVs. I've seen the videos and though they seem very good I don't know for sure (because no comparison videos have been made) if I would get the same image with a 1080p HDTV.

I ask the question because I usually play my PS4 games on a Samsung 32" F6300 HDTV and if I could get a better image on said games via the upscaler of a 4K TV I would be very interested in getting one. Thanks!
Old 07-10-2014, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 324
I think the improvement would be minimal at best. You'd be better off getting a larger 1080p display.
Old 07-10-2014, 02:04 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brad View Post
I think the improvement would be minimal at best. You'd be better off getting a larger 1080p display.
Thank you for your suggestion. Think I'm going to get this one: Sony Bravia KDL-55W905A
Old 07-10-2014, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

The increase in screen size alone will have that wow factor you are looking for. Word of advice: if you think you want to go bigger, do it now as you'll always wonder "I wonder what the 65 inch would look like!?" Haha.
freemeat likes this.
Old 07-10-2014, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

The thing about screen size is that once the initial reaction and WOW factor wears off, and it will, you'll then start to realize all the little nuances with the TV. This is one of the reasons why I rarely game on my 110" LCD Epson 8700ub screen anymore and opt to do it on my plasma instead. The colors, blacks, motion etc are just so much better. There's really nothing wrong with the Epson, it is very nice, but my plasma is just in another league. 60" F8500 btw.

I look at it this way as well. As silly as this may sound. I would never go out and buy a 720p TV right now with every game aiming for 1080p. I don't like the slight blurriness, maybe tearing or whatever image issues due to scaling. Some TV's scale better then others so its not the same on every tv but generally speaking you want to avoid scaling as much as possible to get the sharpest image right. So why would you want to scale it up all the way to 4k which is far more scaling then down to 720p would do? especially considering most games are still around 900p. People are having a bloody fit that their games are being scaled from 920p to 1080p as it is.

It just doesn't make sense. TV is no different. Every satellite, fiber, cable service is still 720p. Do the math, how times over do you need to scale that up to 4k? its going to do something to the image. I know scalers are getting better each year but still. I like 1:1, no scaling, and I'll take that every day of the year over anything else.

We just barely live in a 1080p world, yet alone a 4k one. I know what comments will follow, and yes, 95% of the world only cares about tv brightness and size.
Smigro likes this.
Old 07-10-2014, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm with you on that, newfmp3. I had a projector a couple years ago. It was awesome for movies, but games I couldn't play on it. Motion handling, black levels etc. are better on my plasma. I find it more comfortable to game on, plus I don't need to worry about bulb life.

I was mainly referring to going bigger with a flat panel if your budget allows it. If someone is knocking around the idea of getting the bigger panel, my response is always "Go for it!"
Old 07-10-2014, 04:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Just going bigger for the sake of 'bigger' is not always better unless one is moving to front projection for a more immersive experience (which is what you get regardless of how great that TV might be).

Image quality should be priority number one (at least I would hope), one should not always assume a bigger tv will offer a better image.

Jason
Old 07-11-2014, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

PQ is my #1 priority. I realize for some people it is not. I really do not like the direction the industry is going in with 4k and curved screens. I really hate the marketing behind this brain washing people into thinking they need something they do not while they kill off things like Plasma and OLED. Of all the issues and problems with current flat panels to fix, resolution wasn't one of them. Its just too hard to fix the real problems so they are redirecting peoples focus on 4k for the time being.
Smigro likes this.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Great PQ goes without saying. A 65 inch Emerson LCD is certainly going to look worse than a 50 inch Samsung plasma. I should've been more specific. If you are looking at a 50 inch plasma from Samsung and they have a 65 inch model in the same model line, go with the bugger one of you can afford it. You'll always kick yourself for not going bigger.

With that said, the best image quality of a TV isn't going to matter if you are sending it junk. Going bigger only makes that junk look even worse. Not picking on the XBOX One, but I'd hate to see the XBOX One version of Ghosts on a 70 inch TV or a 100 inch projection screen. Same goes for pretty much every last gen game. Haha.