Uncharted 4: A Thief's End - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 13Likes

post #1 of 78 Old 06-10-2014, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 94
I didn't see a thread created to purely discuss this game. It is still a ways off as the current release date is "2015", but who can resist this killer exclusive for the PS4?

Naughty Dog has posted their E3 trailer
here in 1080p/60f goodness!

It's amazing to note that naughty dog claims "All footage you see in the trailer was captured completely in engine". They are also targeting 60 fps as well.

Official Website

Warning: I make a lot of mistakes but occasionally I learn from them!

Last edited by Johnny Mnemonic; 06-30-2014 at 07:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 78 Old 06-10-2014, 10:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
so nathan is a married man now tongue.gif
post #3 of 78 Old 06-10-2014, 11:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 169
I'm sorry but If it's in-engine show us some actual in-engine game footage, cgi trailers do nothing for me, learned that lesson years ago.

I am so eager for U4 that the tease at e3 was a huge let down, sorry. redface.gif

Jason
post #4 of 78 Old 06-10-2014, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 94
And just to keep it all contained in this thread, here is the Previous teaser circa Nov 2013 ish:

I get a big "Patrick Warburton" vibe from the voice actor in that clip, but not sure it's him or not.

Warning: I make a lot of mistakes but occasionally I learn from them!
post #5 of 78 Old 06-11-2014, 03:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 40
In the past, the Uncharted games have had almost no visual difference between the cutscenes and the gameplay. If they can come close to that for this game, it's going to look astonishing.

(The camera will be pulled back for gameplay, of course, which will makes things a bit easier.)
post #6 of 78 Old 06-11-2014, 04:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notsobright View Post

so nathan is a married man now tongue.gif
He got married between Uncharted 2 and 3 actually. Judging by the synopsis of Uncharted 4 he must've finally went straight and settled down.
post #7 of 78 Old 06-12-2014, 12:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slacker George View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by Notsobright 

so nathan is a married man now

He got married between Uncharted 2 and 3 actually. Judging by the synopsis of Uncharted 4 he must've finally went straight and settled down.
i need to replay those games, been awhile.
post #8 of 78 Old 06-12-2014, 01:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 561
Naughty Dog confirmed that this was rendered in real time, in engine, at 1080p 60fps on a PS4 console. Now THIS is next gen!
darthrsg and Lethean like this.
post #9 of 78 Old 06-12-2014, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 546
Yea the CGI didn't do much for me. Maybe it is from the game itself but I'd rather see some gameplay. If the game does look like that for realsy, I will be happy.
post #10 of 78 Old 06-12-2014, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordxar5 View Post
Yea the CGI didn't do much for me. Maybe it is from the game itself but I'd rather see some gameplay. If the game does look like that for realsy, I will be happy.
Naugty Dog confirmed that is how it will look in game, they are doing the same thing that Ground Zeroes did with their cutscenes.
post #11 of 78 Old 06-12-2014, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notsobright View Post
i need to replay those games, been awhile.
Well it's not revealed until the very end of U3 and was never explicitly stated, so it's easy to miss.

Honestly I was a little disappointed that ND was making Uncharted 4 instead of moving on to a new IP. I'm starting to feel the old excitement again though. What does everyone want to see in U4? For me...

1) Take the puzzle solving to the next level. I like what they've done in the past with searching for clues in the journal, just make it less straightforward and require some real thought. For those that don't want to be held up they can keep some kind of optional clue system.

2) Still waiting for a scuba diving level. With Naughty Dog's talent I'm sure it would be absolutely beautiful and amazing. This seems like the perfect opportunity with the tropical location and search for pirate treasure.

3) I'd like a little history with the collectible treasures. Just a short paragraph about the objects would be really interesting to me.
post #12 of 78 Old 06-12-2014, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slacker George View Post

3) I'd like a little history with the collectible treasures. Just a short paragraph about the objects would be really interesting to me.
I like how in Golden Abyss, many collectibles (not necessarily objects of value) were given a bit of a description and were made part of a collection, which, when finished, told some of the backstory. I'd like to see more of that ... and none of the random drops collectibles that GA also had.
post #13 of 78 Old 06-12-2014, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

I like the sound of that. I don't have a Vita so I haven't played Golden Abyss but I'll read up on it now.
post #14 of 78 Old 06-12-2014, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post
I'm sorry but If it's in-engine show us some actual in-engine game footage, cgi trailers do nothing for me, learned that lesson years ago.

I am so eager for U4 that the tease at e3 was a huge let down, sorry.

Jason
Man... I need to disagree.

I think we can give Naughty Dog the benefit of the doubt, considering they are probably Number Uno on the entire Planet right now, as a developer. Seriously, ND is pretty much the No. 1 stunners right now, so you have to give them their due, and allow them to tease the F out of that game.

I can tell you this... When I was watching the show live, and the Naughty Dog logo came on the screen, hairs on my arm started to stand up, and I had the butterfly feeling... Then, when I saw Drakes face, I wouldn't be surprised if a few tears fell from my eye. To me, it was the most emotional feeling I had for anything in this whole e3, because it was a Studio at the very top of their game, basically introducing the world to Next-Gen.

Next-Gen doesn't happen until Naughty Dog says it's happened.

The only downside to all of this, is the fact that I think this game is still a LONG ways away. I don't think we see our first legit gameplay glimpse till possibly the Spike VGA's late this year. I also don't think this game actually makes a calender 2015 release. My guess is May 2016. Which is probably fine, considering all the heat coming in 2015.
Crash44 and Rgdeuce like this.
post #15 of 78 Old 06-12-2014, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 599
Quote:

I am so eager for U4 that the tease at e3 was a huge let down, sorry.

Jason

This was by far the biggest disappointment of E3.
post #16 of 78 Old 06-12-2014, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemeat View Post
This was by far the biggest disappointment of E3.
But it wasn't a CGI trailer. It was all in game, just cinematics.
post #17 of 78 Old 06-12-2014, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post
But it wasn't a CGI trailer. It was all in game, just cinematics.
I never though it was CGI, though that would have been equally disappointing. I wanted to see gameplay.
post #18 of 78 Old 06-12-2014, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemeat View Post
I never though it was CGI, though that would have been equally disappointing. I wanted to see gameplay.
That's what e3 2015 is for. All things in good time. I'm guessing this game is less than 30 percent complete.

Certainly, I would like to think that Sony would have the foresight to have ND working on this game for the last 3 years in secret, but the truth is, they've probably only been on this game for half that time.
post #19 of 78 Old 06-12-2014, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That's what e3 2015 is for. All things in good time. I'm guessing this game is less than 30 percent complete.

Certainly, I would like to think that Sony would have the foresight to have ND working on this game for the last 3 years in secret, but the truth is, they've probably only been on this game for half that time.
That's the thing, it was the finale of the show. The game had already been revealed so it wasn't a reveal where they don't always show gameplay. If they wait all the way until E3 2015 to show gameplay that would be ridiculous.
DaGamePimp likes this.

Last edited by freemeat; 06-12-2014 at 05:37 PM.
post #20 of 78 Old 06-12-2014, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Expect gameplay at Spike's VGAs.
post #21 of 78 Old 06-12-2014, 05:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Man... I need to disagree.

I think we can give Naughty Dog the benefit of the doubt, considering they are probably Number Uno on the entire Planet right now, as a developer. Seriously, ND is pretty much the No. 1 stunners right now, so you have to give them their due, and allow them to tease the F out of that game.

I can tell you this... When I was watching the show live, and the Naughty Dog logo came on the screen, hairs on my arm started to stand up, and I had the butterfly feeling... Then, when I saw Drakes face, I wouldn't be surprised if a few tears fell from my eye. To me, it was the most emotional feeling I had for anything in this whole e3, because it was a Studio at the very top of their game, basically introducing the world to Next-Gen.

Next-Gen doesn't happen until Naughty Dog says it's happened.

The only downside to all of this, is the fact that I think this game is still a LONG ways away. I don't think we see our first legit gameplay glimpse till possibly the Spike VGA's late this year. I also don't think this game actually makes a calender 2015 release. My guess is May 2016. Which is probably fine, considering all the heat coming in 2015.

I have as much respect for ND as anyone and they are about as good as it gets but that was a cutscene trailer, period. I can buy into the scene being rendered in engine, that's fine, but I am not going to let myself be fooled into thinking that is = to gameplay.

How many times do we have to fall for this because we want to buy into it soooo much. If the actual gameplay matches his face I'll come back and admit I was mistaken.

If gameplay was looking like that they would have shown something... no?

Sorry for being jaded, just been burned too many times on these early trailers (where the end product seldom lives up to it).

I hope I am 100% wrong.

Jason
post #22 of 78 Old 06-12-2014, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Hehe we are impossible to please. had they given game play, we'd demand a release date; had they given a release date, we'd demand a demo; had they given a demo, we'd demand a same day launch and a sequel (fifth-quel???)

ND will deliver. They have yet to fail that I have seen.

Either dualshockers or playstation life has a tweet from one of the devs stating they are aiming to make the visuals better than what was shown in the trailer. If (or even how) they can pull that off will set a bar that even ND might not beat as the cycle goes on.

PSN & XBL: Epyon415
Twitch.tv: http://www.twitch.tv/epyon415
Twitter: @gundumgaming
YouTube Gameplay Videos
post #23 of 78 Old 06-12-2014, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

The cutscene graphics are the same as in game graphics, Naughty Dog confirmed this. Ground Zeroes is the same way. Gameplay transitions seamlessly from cutscenes, and this is their goal with Uncharted 4.
post #24 of 78 Old 06-12-2014, 11:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I have as much respect for ND as anyone and they are about as good as it gets but that was a cutscene trailer, period. I can buy into the scene being rendered in engine, that's fine, but I am not going to let myself be fooled into thinking that is = to gameplay.

How many times do we have to fall for this because we want to buy into it soooo much. If the actual gameplay matches his face I'll come back and admit I was mistaken.

If gameplay was looking like that they would have shown something... no?

Sorry for being jaded, just been burned too many times on these early trailers (where the end product seldom lives up to it).

I hope I am 100% wrong.

Jason
So, if I understand you correctly, you're basically saying that the face that we saw in this teaser isn't the same exact face that we will see during actual gameplay in which you have Drake under your control ?

Like they are using way more polys on his face and stuff, because there are no other enemies on screen, etc, etc ?

I guess I could understand that, but I don't think the end product will actually be that much worse, so I guess I'm fine with it. Sure, it might not end up being the same exact face during actual gameplay, but I'm guessing it's damn close.
post #25 of 78 Old 06-13-2014, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Like they are using way more polys on his face and stuff, because there are no other enemies on screen, etc, etc ?
They claimed that the Drake model is using roughly two times the polys as the Joel model in PS3 TLoU. (Unclear whether they meant the in-game model or cinematics model, but I'm guessing the former). Assuming that is the case, it doesn't seem unreasonable that this could be the in-game model. At some point animation, deformation, shaders etc become more important than raw poly count.

IMHO the teaser is much more impressive from an artistic standpoint than a technical one. With the caveat that the technology it takes to do what is being done is sophisticated. Just nothing that seems outlandish from a raw power perspective.

Last edited by Abaddon; 06-13-2014 at 03:19 PM.
post #26 of 78 Old 06-14-2014, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaddon View Post

IMHO the teaser is much more impressive from an artistic standpoint than a technical one. With the caveat that the technology it takes to do what is being done is sophisticated. Just nothing that seems outlandish from a raw power perspective.
Do you remember the Unreal 4 Samaritan demo ?

That was pretty much the most Next-Gen thing that I have ever seen, and I was starting to assume that Xbox One and PS4 just couldn't achieve that kind of fidelity, and we'd actually have to wait for a future generation to deliver that. The Uncharted 4 quick teaser is pretty freaking close to the Samaritan demo imo.

Drakes face might even be better.

It just gives me hope that there will be a few truly amazing experiences on these boxes.
post #27 of 78 Old 06-14-2014, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

So, I noticed that Sony is letting people pre-order Uncharted 4, which is kinda interesting, considering I really don't think we are going to see it till 2016. Probably like March 2016. Yet, they are offering pre-orders for the game in June of 2014. Hmmmm.

Maybe it's much farther along than I think ?
post #28 of 78 Old 06-14-2014, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Fall 2015 is the farthest off I see the game releasing. Uncharted 1 was one year in to the PS3, and that system was a nightmare to code for. I don't see Naughty Dog taking that long to get the game out.
post #29 of 78 Old 06-15-2014, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Naughty Dog just released the 1080p 60fps trailer!

http://www.naughtydog.com/site/post/...14_e3_trailer/
DarrellG likes this.
post #30 of 78 Old 06-15-2014, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I just can't believe the game is going to look this good.

I will buy it no matter what but holy cow that looks amazing.
Reply PlayStation Area