Forum Jump: 

Old 06-17-2014, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 74
PS3 Media Server stopped working

PMS hasn't worked for me for the last 4 days. I can't get it to show on the PS3 or my Samsung Smart TV. I've made no changes before it stopped, and I've spent most of my free time today wrestling with it...I checked the firewall, it has all the correct permissions. I deleted rebooted, and reinstalled. Nothing.
Has anyone else run into this recently, and how-if at all, did you resolve it?

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2014, 12:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post
PMS hasn't worked for me for the last 4 days. I can't get it to show on the PS3 or my Samsung Smart TV. I've made no changes before it stopped, and I've spent most of my free time today wrestling with it...I checked the firewall, it has all the correct permissions. I deleted rebooted, and reinstalled. Nothing.
By PMS you are referring to Plex Media Server?

Can say I've encountered this, is it only with the PS3 not seeing it? Does PS3 see DLNA at all, if so, it should see movies/music etc as just your server. What OS is your server running? Check your PS3 settings specifically, networking, and whatever category media is under (i'll have to boot mine up to confirm).

Only thing I can think of is that DLNA got turned off on accident (?) or Plex is unexpectedly borked.

Have you also tried plugging both into the same switch/router?

PSN & XBL: Epyon415
Twitch.tv: http://www.twitch.tv/epyon415
Twitter: @gundumgaming
YouTube Gameplay Videos
Old 06-18-2014, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It is the PS3 Media Server. On a Win XP desktop. Rebooted router also. Won't show up as a media server on the PS3, or on the Smart TV. Both plugged into router via ethetnet cables.
PS3 Media Server UI normally shows both devices on it's home screen. Now it just says ''No renderers were found''.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140618_115221.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	124522

They're not com-tastic!
Old 06-18-2014, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post
I had this same exact problem about 2 months ago, spent 8 plus hours trying to figure it all out. It's a real easy fix, you are just going to have to get a new media server client for streaming your content. Google Universal Media Server & download that, I was back up & running in minutes once I found this streaming client & I couldn't be happier. It's much better than PS3 Media Server. It's made by the same person who did PS3 Media Server so the look, feel & setup will be very familiar. Has better features as well, I believe you can do a side by side comparison of the two also. Hope this solves your problem.

Last edited by DreMarceaux; 06-18-2014 at 11:27 AM.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Problem solved. There was an update to ZoneAlarm Security Suite, that caused the blocking. The solutions provided by a ZA support tech, was to do a clean install. Had to uninstall, then run a Clean uninstall utility program provided by them, and then download the latest version all over again.
And, that did the trick.

Through all the hassle, one good thing came of it, the Universal Media Server recommended by DreMarceaux. It's just like PS3 Media Server, only it doesn't choke on streaming MKVs. Thanks for the suggestion.

They're not com-tastic!