Forum Jump: 

Old 06-19-2014, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 10
PlayStation 4 Controller Issue

Hello all,

I recently replaced my PS3 with a PS4. I put the PS4 into the exact same place that the PS3 has been for years. The PS3 controller was able to remotely connect to the main console from both places where I would play the games. It didn't have a single issue ever.

I have had nothing but trouble from the PS4 controller. The PS4 console is located exactly where the PS3 console was and I tried to play the PS4 from the same 2 spots where I used to play the PS3. Other than the console and the controller, nothing else has changed.

I moved the PS4 console to right in front of one TV and all the controller issues disappeared

Am I really to believe that the PS4 controller range is less than that of the PS3? Anyone have suggestions for extending the range and/or reducing the interference?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2014, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garet Jax View Post
Hello all,

I recently replaced my PS3 with a PS4. I put the PS4 into the exact same place that the PS3 has been for years. The PS3 controller was able to remotely connect to the main console from both places where I would play the games. It didn't have a single issue ever.

I have had nothing but trouble from the PS4 controller. The PS4 console is located exactly where the PS3 console was and I tried to play the PS4 from the same 2 spots where I used to play the PS3. Other than the console and the controller, nothing else has changed.

I moved the PS4 console to right in front of one TV and all the controller issues disappeared

Am I really to believe that the PS4 controller range is less than that of the PS3? Anyone have suggestions for extending the range and/or reducing the interference?

Thanks.
That's pretty darn weird. Did you try inching the ps4 closer to you and gauge what it's max range is? Also, could it be the controller?
Old 06-19-2014, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomkid View Post
That's pretty darn weird. Did you try inching the ps4 closer to you and gauge what it's max range is? Also, could it be the controller?

No not yet. All my setup is behind the wall right now so I have very little flexibility. It's either in the rack or under the TV. I have some longer Redmere cables on their way (hoping to fix some other issues) and will play with the distance. Just checking here to see if others have had similar issues.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garet Jax View Post
No not yet. All my setup is behind the wall right now so I have very little flexibility. It's either in the rack or under the TV. I have some longer Redmere cables on their way (hoping to fix some other issues) and will play with the distance. Just checking here to see if others have had similar issues.
I have the exact same problem. The PS4 has far worse Bluetooth range. My basement is actually open, but the section with my TV is behind some stairs and the controller has so much lag it is unplayable. There was never a problem with the PS3. Did you find any solution?
Old 08-18-2014, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokee180c View Post
I have the exact same problem. The PS4 has far worse Bluetooth range. My basement is actually open, but the section with my TV is behind some stairs and the controller has so much lag it is unplayable. There was never a problem with the PS3. Did you find any solution?
Not really - I have done a lot of research and tinkering. I called Sony support - they were absolutely worthless. I returned one console and bought an extra controller so I have tried with two consoles and 3 controllers. I have moved the console around the basement to different places and sat in different locations with the controller as well. I have concluded quite simply that the connection between the console and the controller is terrible compared to the PS3 and even the PS2.

Sony definitely took a major step backwards here.

As for solutions - I ended up moving my entire rack from one corner of the basement to the other. There were a few reasons I did it, but one of them was to reduce the distance between the console and the controller. Now the controller is ~25 feet from the console with a pretty direct line of sight. I find that if I close the door between the console and the controller it affects connectivity.

Even with the move and leaving the door open, there are times when the controller just doesn't respond. I find that it is generally because of direct line of sight. As an example, my wife walked and stood between the console and the controller the other day (she doesn't know there are issues with connectivity - she just got lucky ). I was playing Baseball 2014 The Show - I tried to "pause" the game since I was up to bat, but the pause didn't work. I asked her to step aside and the pause started to work again.

I am extremely disappointed with the connection between the console and controller.

Last edited by Garet Jax; 08-18-2014 at 08:28 AM.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:00 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 192
25 feet now, with issues. How Far away was it before?

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

Old 08-18-2014, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post
25 feet now, with issues. How Far away was it before?
It was probably 20 more feet around a corner. It also had a geo-thermal air conditioning unit and two 200A panels in between so there could have been a number of sources of interference. With that said, my PS3 was there for 2+ years without a single connection issue. I had other issues requiring the move, but the PS4 was certainly one of them.

The connection now is > 99%. I played the "last of us" with the console and the controller as is and don't remember having an issue. If I do run into an issue, then I move the controller, my leg or whatever else was blocking it and the connection is restored without issue.