• 3 Post By newfmp3

post #1 of 25 Old 06-22-2014, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 148
PS Now pricing - Sony can't help being Sony

I know the PS Now pricing isn't final, and maybe the actual amounts will change dramatically, but I just knew that Sony would eventually get back to being the Sony we know and love ?

5 bucks for 4 hours ?

Really ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 06-22-2014, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 393
I don't think Sony was in charge of the pricing.

Quote:
These prices are ultimately decided on by the participating developers and publishers.

Hapi -"Lazy......cuz he's a boss like that"

mphfrom77 - "I'm an idiot."

benjamin-benjami - http://www.avsforum.com/t/1476721/battlefield-4/7200_100#post_24609271
post #3 of 25 Old 06-22-2014, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

I think they are pushing for the 7 and 30 day rentals. Most games were cheaper than that.

benjamin-benjami - http://www.avsforum.com/t/1476721/battlefield-4/7200_100#post_24609271
post #4 of 25 Old 06-22-2014, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post
I know the PS Now pricing isn't final, and maybe the actual amounts will change dramatically, but I just knew that Sony would eventually get back to being the Sony we know and love ?

5 bucks for 4 hours ?

Really ?
Why don't you wait until it is out of beta and the prices are real before you troll? This kind of service has never existed, so what is Sony's history with rental prices?
kjr39 and benjamin-benjami like this.

Now playing: TLoU PS4
Recently Finished: Watch Dogs, Southpark: Stick of Truth, Infamous: SS
PSN & XBL: Scuzzlebutt33
post #5 of 25 Old 06-22-2014, 11:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

hey man, I'm just preparing the rest of us for the sticker shock that might happen when this thing goes live.
post #6 of 25 Old 06-23-2014, 01:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 201
This thing is a bad idea all around. But at least it's serving as the impetus to get the Vita TV released in the West.
post #7 of 25 Old 06-23-2014, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgable View Post
Why don't you wait until it is out of beta and the prices are real before you troll?
Are you in the beta, because these prices are real. The beta is no longer free to try out and as I said in the other PS Now thread, I'm not paying for a beta. I don't think the prices are that bad and would like to see digital rentals come to all games in the PSN Store but, this service is still in beta and we are suppose to be testing the load and helping to find bugs. Now they want us to pay to help them find these bugs... no thank you, I'm out. They should have waited until the beta was over before starting to charge IMO.
freemeat likes this.

PSN ID: RollTide1017
post #8 of 25 Old 06-23-2014, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Now that they've had a few months to tweak the technology, they are beta testing the price point that consumers will be comfortable with. Most game rental prices are much more reasonable. Besides, a successful company always pushes what the market will bear. It's called capitalism--like it or not. If Sony can get away with charging $5 for four hours rental of an older game, you only have fellow consumers to blame. If that doesn't work for you, there are other options, including Gamefly.

BTW, wouldn't posting screen shots of the beta be a violation of the terms beta testers agreed to in order to participate?
post #9 of 25 Old 06-23-2014, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgable View Post
Why don't you wait until it is out of beta and the prices are real before you troll? This kind of service has never existed, so what is Sony's history with rental prices?
Those are real prices now. Will they change once it is out of beta, possibly. Pretty much have to change unless they want it to fail miserably. Of course I could be wrong and the masses want to pay those absurd prices.
post #10 of 25 Old 06-23-2014, 01:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Maybe the 4 hour price is unreasonable but I'm not too sure about the 7 day rental.

I seem to remember paying 6 or 7 bucks at Blockbuster for a 5 night rental. $8 for 7 days doesn't seem too crazy.

PSN/XBL: Gu1nnesS13
post #11 of 25 Old 06-23-2014, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Come on these are old games not new, to even have a 4 hour price is obscene. It's essentially paying for demo!

These prices will never last, if they do no one will use the service.
post #12 of 25 Old 06-23-2014, 01:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by digimat View Post
Come on these are old games not new, to even have a 4 hour price is obscene. It's essentially paying for demo!

These prices will never last, if they do no one will use the service.
Yea, that's true... I was thinking these rates are for new PS4 games. These prices are pretty lame for PS1 and PS2 games.

PSN/XBL: Gu1nnesS13
post #13 of 25 Old 06-23-2014, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

If new games are that price point for 7 & 30 days I could be see myself using it. As of now I am buying/trading games at a loss of $10-$15 for a few weeks of use. This just saves me the trouble of traveling.

post #14 of 25 Old 06-23-2014, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post

BTW, wouldn't posting screen shots of the beta be a violation of the terms beta testers agreed to in order to participate?
I'm not in the Beta, and that image is from Kotaku actually.
post #15 of 25 Old 06-23-2014, 05:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 44
It would have been cool if they gave every beta tester 100 units and then have the game publishers test their prices that way. Then people don't feel like they're paying to beta test something.

The four hour rental would only be useful for a party game or quiz show type game when you have a few people over.

PSN brakel

post #16 of 25 Old 06-23-2014, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 116
I'm in the beta, and the with the prices I seen, I laughed and turned it off. Old games at new game prices. Forget it.
Leo_Ames, moepoker and freemeat like this.
post #17 of 25 Old 06-24-2014, 09:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 1378
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfmp3 View Post
I'm in the beta, and the with the prices I seen, I laughed and turned it off. Old games at new game prices. Forget it.

Yeah, that's a joke. They're basically charging you what an old game would have cost digitally, except you only get it for a limited time in super laggy and sh*tty quality streaming. Those prices are reasonable for new releases that you can fully download and play locally, but for streaming old games? They can't be serious.

At the very least they should let you download it and discount the rental price off the full game if you choose to buy it.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #18 of 25 Old 06-24-2014, 01:33 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked: 671
These prices don't seem bad to me. Well except the 4 hour rental. But 7 days for $8 or $30 for $15 sounds very reasonable to me. Besides, if someone really wanted to play these games they should have kept a PS3 to play it on. Streaming the game is not the best way to play it anyway. But personally there are very few last gen games that I would even consider playing.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #19 of 25 Old 06-24-2014, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It's truly unfortunate, but the prices aren't insane. I wish they were. However, we live in a society filled with very lazy people that will always take the easiest and most convenient option available. Americans especially are inherently lazy, and I don't blame Sony for experimenting with such prices. I mean, this is capitalism after all...

Still, I was really hoping that Sony would go the Netflix route. I was hoping for a PS Plus Extreme option. Maybe charge $99 per year for a PS Plus Extreme one year pass. Gives you access to a certain amount of free gaming via PS Now. Like you would have a certain number of hours per week to use with PS Now. You also get all the benefits of PS Plus. I'd pay the extra $60 per year for something like that, but other than that, they can miss me with this kind of pricing. Of course, my cheap arse gamer demographic isn't the one Sony is targeting. They are targeting the average Joes that don't know any better, or the more wealthy that just want the convenience / instant gratification.
post #20 of 25 Old 06-24-2014, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 110
With this pricing i most certainly wont sign up. they need to adopt a model like netflix where we pay a subscription fee monthly/yearly for complete access to every game on the service.

It would be okay if there were tiers of sevice where you pay $X per month and you get so many hours per week or month, with the highest tier being unlimited.

But rental per game? utter madness. Gamers would b better served finding a used copy in the bargain bin at gamestop, picking up the game for $10-$15 then trading it back in for a few dollars credit when they're done. $30 for 90 days. This is madness!
post #21 of 25 Old 06-24-2014, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Sony payed $380 million to purchase Gaikai so it seams like they want to make their money back as soon as possible to make the purchase worth it. Still, one of the biggest problems with the PS Vita is the memory card prices and with the outcry PS Now prices are getting, it could also suffer. They did say that the pricing of PS Now could change. We'll see if they decide to be smarter with PS Now pricing then they are with PS Vita card pricing.
post #22 of 25 Old 06-24-2014, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Hell, it would be awesome if they just adopted a model like the old sega channel where you pay like $10 or $15 a month and you had free access to about 50 games that rotated out every 30-90 days depending on popularity.

I had the sega channel back in the day and it was flipping fantastic. sony would [EXPLETIVE DELETED] kill the competition if they had a streaming service with netflix style pricing and the entirety (or nearly so) of the playstation library available (excepting current gen games of course). it's a fricken no brainer. but if they continue with the beta pricing, i see nothing but failure in PSNow's future.
post #23 of 25 Old 06-24-2014, 09:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuSoardGraphite View Post
With this pricing i most certainly wont sign up. they need to adopt a model like netflix where we pay a subscription fee monthly/yearly for complete access to every game on the service.

It would be okay if there were tiers of sevice where you pay $X per month and you get so many hours per week or month, with the highest tier being unlimited.

But rental per game? utter madness. Gamers would b better served finding a used copy in the bargain bin at gamestop, picking up the game for $10-$15 then trading it back in for a few dollars credit when they're done. $30 for 90 days. This is madness!
To do that you would need a PS3. And if you have a PS3, then what the heck are you renting a game to play through a streaming service for? When you can get a much, much better experience by playing it locally from a rental disc.

LED DLP

post #24 of 25 Old 06-24-2014, 09:35 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuSoardGraphite View Post
Hell, it would be awesome if they just adopted a model like the old sega channel where you pay like $10 or $15 a month and you had free access to about 50 games that rotated out every 30-90 days depending on popularity.

I had the sega channel back in the day and it was flipping fantastic. sony would [EXPLETIVE DELETED] kill the competition if they had a streaming service with netflix style pricing and the entirety (or nearly so) of the playstation library available (excepting current gen games of course). it's a fricken no brainer. but if they continue with the beta pricing, i see nothing but failure in PSNow's future.
If they had an option like that, that would be good as long as they still had an option for individual rentals. I would never want to pay a monthly fee for something like this because I would only want to play a last gen title on a rare occassion. The pricing structure mentioned earlier would be perfect for someone like me that might only rent a handful of titles over many years.

LED DLP

post #25 of 25 Old 06-25-2014, 03:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 63
With server and bandwidth costs it seems this technology cannot yet be deployed inexpensively. I really do think there is a future for streaming games but I think until someone with a real investment in the required infrastructure does it (Amazon?) its not going to be the "Netflix of gaming" most of us are looking for.

Frank J. Cone

XBox Live / Steam: FCONE

Please do not form any opinion of the content of this post, it is still in BETA.

Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page