• 1 Post By newfmp3

post #1 of 14 Old 06-23-2014, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 129
3rd Party Ps4 Controller?

Are there any 3rd party controllers out there for the Ps4 yet? I can't believe I am even considering this as I typically hate 3rd party knock offs but I loathe the Dualshock4. It's a piece of @#$%.

I have had the system since launch. Not a whole lot of playtime on it. I had to wait for 2 replacements so the first month or so I never had a working Ps4. I also have the Xbone One which got all my play time right up until Infamous came out,then trials came out so now I have not touched my Xbone since. But still, that is only two games for the PS4 and my dualshock looks and feels like something 5yrs old. I take care of my stuff too.

The rubber on both analog sticks is peeling off. The triggers squeak horribly, the battery is useless. I will say it is far far better then the Xbox one controller for range issues though.

....and I just hate it. Hate the touch pad,and the slippery shape of the analog sticks, hate the Ps1 style position of the analog sticks(seriously Sony, it's time to move the directional pad already). I want my start and select back. The triggers are too small, I could go on...

Logitech, Madcatz, anyone?
vaktmestern likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-24-2014, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfmp3 View Post
Are there any 3rd party controllers out there for the Ps4 yet? I can't believe I am even considering this as I typically hate 3rd party knock offs but I loathe the Dualshock4. It's a piece of @#$%.

I have had the system since launch. Not a whole lot of playtime on it. I had to wait for 2 replacements so the first month or so I never had a working Ps4. I also have the Xbone One which got all my play time right up until Infamous came out,then trials came out so now I have not touched my Xbone since. But still, that is only two games for the PS4 and my dualshock looks and feels like something 5yrs old. I take care of my stuff too.

The rubber on both analog sticks is peeling off. The triggers squeak horribly, the battery is useless. I will say it is far far better then the Xbox one controller for range issues though.

....and I just hate it. Hate the touch pad,and the slippery shape of the analog sticks, hate the Ps1 style position of the analog sticks(seriously Sony, it's time to move the directional pad already). I want my start and select back. The triggers are too small, I could go on...

Logitech, Madcatz, anyone?
I don't know why Sony thought that the battery life was adequate for gamers. The trigger squeak is easily fixed with a dry teflon lubricant. I put a little drop on a Q-tip and rubbed it on the points of contact. I can't do offset analog sticks so I hope Sony never goes to that. By the way the PS1 controllers didn't have analog sticks at all.

But I would like to see what other companies could come up with.

PSN brakel

post #3 of 14 Old 06-26-2014, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

You got me on the PS1 sticks

I'll try the trick with the triggers, thanks.
post #4 of 14 Old 06-26-2014, 09:18 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Try Evil Controllers

http://www.evilcontrollers.com/
post #5 of 14 Old 06-30-2014, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 35
The rubber was coming off my left analog stick...I bought gel/silicone caps to go over the sticks and they work wonderfully. They raise the stick a bit and have a textured top. Only complaint is that they are slick on the outside edges so if my thumb gets in a weird spot it feels like its slipping. That rarely happens though. Gamespot has they for like $6 otherwise you can get them on Amazon for a few bucks.

"Damn, you can't get black levels like that on your projector!"
- My brother, just before he realized his LED display had died.

Link to my Basement build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1529034/conspiracy-basement-build
post #6 of 14 Old 07-01-2014, 03:56 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 25
My issue was with the R2 trigger breaking. They would break, on me about every 2 months. The ps3 controller had metal pins on the triggers. For some reason they decided cheap plastic pins would work fine. You can look up the problem on the Web it's a major design flaw that they haven't decided to fix.

PSN ID : AVS Dash

Last edited by Dash525; 07-01-2014 at 04:00 AM.
post #7 of 14 Old 07-01-2014, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Sony came along way with the PS4 controllerbut (IMHO) you can tell they were hindered by the fact that they did not want to directly copy the Xbox concave sticks. The end result on the PS4 though is even worse than the convex PS3 sticks. They are more or less flat and they just do not stick to your thumbs well. Add to that the crappy rubber than peels off and its a PITA.

My solution was to replace the sticks with Xbox one sticks. Took 10 minutes and $6. Next change will be a larger battery as the battery life is ridiculous as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20140701_18_38_05_Pro.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	281.1 KB
ID:	144122  

Frank J. Cone

XBox Live / Steam: FCONE

Please do not form any opinion of the content of this post, it is still in BETA.

post #8 of 14 Old 07-02-2014, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Now that is interesting...
post #9 of 14 Old 07-06-2014, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankJ.Cone View Post
Sony came along way with the PS4 controllerbut (IMHO) you can tell they were hindered by the fact that they did not want to directly copy the Xbox concave sticks. The end result on the PS4 though is even worse than the convex PS3 sticks. They are more or less flat and they just do not stick to your thumbs well. Add to that the crappy rubber than peels off and its a PITA.

My solution was to replace the sticks with Xbox one sticks. Took 10 minutes and $6. Next change will be a larger battery as the battery life is ridiculous as well.
This is great I too felt the sticks on the XB1 are better. Do you have a tutorial?
post #10 of 14 Old 07-07-2014, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by brakel View Post
...By the way the PS1 controllers didn't have analog sticks at all...
Well come on it did for the majority of the systems life. Who actually remembers using the first controller? I do still have a non-rumble dual analog PSX controller though.
post #11 of 14 Old 07-07-2014, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 View Post
Well come on it did for the majority of the systems life. Who actually remembers using the first controller? I do still have a non-rumble dual analog PSX controller though.
Actually, they added sticks, but they were not analogue IIRCC.
post #12 of 14 Old 07-07-2014, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattdoc View Post
Actually, they added sticks, but they were not analogue IIRCC.
Their first attempt was the Dual Analog, which preceded the Dual Shock. Rumble was taken out of the EU and US release and added later when the Dualshock replaced it. It was their second attempt at an analog controller though after the Dual Analog Flight Stick. Both controllers had fully analog sticks. You might be confused because there was an option to disable the analog sticks and operate in digital mode (essentially like the first controller produced for the PSX).
post #13 of 14 Old 07-07-2014, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 View Post
Their first attempt was the Dual Analog, which preceded the Dual Shock. Rumble was taken out of the EU and US release and added later when the Dualshock replaced it. It was their second attempt at an analog controller though after the Dual Analog Flight Stick. Both controllers had fully analog sticks. You might be confused because there was an option to disable the analog sticks and operate in digital mode (essentially like the first controller produced for the PSX).
Not confused. Or don't think I was.
The original post was about the PS1. And I replied when it was written that there was analog on the PS1 half way through its lifespan. Did not think analog happened till PS2.
Do we agree or did I miss something?

Edit
Oops looks like there was analog on PS1. My bad
post #14 of 14 Old 07-08-2014, 03:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by phas3 View Post
This is great I too felt the sticks on the XB1 are better. Do you have a tutorial?

I watched this one before doing mine. I was not able to get the left trigger to stay connected on either controller. Be Very careful putting the spring back in (Video does not show you how). The spring is slightly longer on one side than the other. Take the short side and it goes into the trigger, the longer size goes into the very noticeable groove in the controller itself. Gently snap the trigger in and the spring should be fine. If you are off even slightly it is a VERY week spring and you will bend it and the resistance will be off.

Good picture of the springs here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/H1-L2-R2-Tri...3D321448973690

Frank J. Cone

XBox Live / Steam: FCONE

Please do not form any opinion of the content of this post, it is still in BETA.

Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page