• 1 Post By TornadoTJ
  • 3 Post By tlalotoani

post #1 of 25 Old 07-23-2014, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
PS3 vs PS4 Sound Quality

Anyone else notice that the PS4 overall sound quality seems to pale in comparison to the PS3? I'm not talking about the options and flexibility that the PS3 offers over the PS4, I'm talking about the overall quality of the output, particularly via LPCM over HDMI. The best demonstration of this is listening to tracks through Music Unlimited. On the PS3 with the HQ audio setting turned on, tracks sounds pretty close to CD quality with plenty of dynamic range and fullness to the sound. But on PS4, the same track (I literally have done an A-B comparison) sounds compressed, thin, and low res (yes even with HQ mode on). My wife even noticed how low it sounded and how much of the range was missing. There are whole frequency ranges in the and highest ranges that are just missing on PS4. It's most noticeable with Music Unlimited since it's a lot easier to evaluate music, but it's not just a MU issue. Several cross gen games I've tried sound "thin", low, and more compressed on PS4.

Anyone else notice this? Again my AV pre/pro and general system configs between the two systems are identical. Is it just something Sony needs to address via firmware? Or could is be the difference with using the TrueAudio processing on the GPU on PS4 vs the Cell on the PS3?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 07-23-2014, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Not sure for games since I don't own a game for both systems to compare, but from blu rays, I haven't noticed a difference. As far the apps, they do work better on the ps3 than the ps4, not sure why they haven't fixed that yet.
post #3 of 25 Old 07-24-2014, 10:05 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Try audio quest hdmi cables - they do make a difference as far as audio quality goes.
post #4 of 25 Old 07-24-2014, 10:07 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabois09 View Post
Try audio quest hdmi cables - they do make a difference as far as audio quality goes.
Snake oil.
heavyharmonies and Leo_Ames like this.
post #5 of 25 Old 07-24-2014, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedeeze View Post
Snake oil.
No, they honestly do make a very slight difference. Probably not enough that the average joe would notice, but they definitely do particularly mids.
post #6 of 25 Old 07-24-2014, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
No, they honestly do make a very slight difference. Probably not enough that the average joe would notice, but they definitely do particularly mids.
It's not an analog signal. So long as all the zero's and one's get there... what else would the cable do? Add zero's and one's?
post #7 of 25 Old 07-24-2014, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirpie View Post
It's not an analog signal. So long as all the zero's and one's get there... what else would the cable do? Add zero's and one's?
Unless the comparative displays I've heard were rigged, I'd argue there's a difference. Obviously I'm on AVS for Christ's sake - I'm well aware of the "1's and 0's" of digital.
post #8 of 25 Old 07-24-2014, 10:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 154
A digital signal arrives at the destination unmodified, this is guaranteed by the error correction algorithms used.

In short, HDMI cables either work fully or not at all, there is zero difference between cables beyond that.

Sorry dude, it's called confirmation bias. You hear stuff you want to hear, like thinking a more expensive wine tastes better than some cheaper one, based on price alone. Fortunately, where digital signals are concerned, you really can state without any reservation that the signal you get out is exactly the same as what you put in, nothing more nothing less. If you still think theres a difference, it's just the keebler elves whispering in your ear.
post #9 of 25 Old 07-24-2014, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLBURNSIDE View Post
A digital signal arrives at the destination unmodified, this is guaranteed by the error correction algorithms used.

In short, HDMI cables either work fully or not at all, there is zero difference between cables beyond that.

Sorry dude, it's called confirmation bias. You hear stuff you want to hear, like thinking a more expensive wine tastes better than some cheaper one, based on price alone. Fortunately, where digital signals are concerned, you really can state without any reservation that the signal you get out is exactly the same as what you put in, nothing more nothing less. If you still think theres a difference, it's just the keebler elves whispering in your ear.
Was just stating that the comparative displays setup at a local store is intentionally misleading then. Have not purchased one myself, nore would I (monoprice).
post #10 of 25 Old 07-24-2014, 10:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLBURNSIDE View Post
If you still think theres a difference, it's just the keebler elves whispering in your ear.
That's a truly creepy visual. LOL.
post #11 of 25 Old 07-25-2014, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Was just stating that the comparative displays setup at a local store is intentionally misleading then. Have not purchased one myself, nore would I (monoprice).
Seems about right to me...of course they want the better cables to sound better so people buy them and the cheapo ones on the end cap...some people just do not know any better and will buy anything a salesman tells them to.
post #12 of 25 Old 07-25-2014, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Unless the comparative displays I've heard were rigged, I'd argue there's a difference. Obviously I'm on AVS for Christ's sake - I'm well aware of the "1's and 0's" of digital.
To quote Jerry Seinfeld, "I don't think you do."
RLBURNSIDE likes this.
post #13 of 25 Old 07-25-2014, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by idealty View Post
Anyone else notice that the PS4 overall sound quality seems to pale in comparison to the PS3? I'm not talking about the options and flexibility that the PS3 offers over the PS4, I'm talking about the overall quality of the output, particularly via LPCM over HDMI. The best demonstration of this is listening to tracks through Music Unlimited. On the PS3 with the HQ audio setting turned on, tracks sounds pretty close to CD quality with plenty of dynamic range and fullness to the sound. But on PS4, the same track (I literally have done an A-B comparison) sounds compressed, thin, and low res (yes even with HQ mode on). My wife even noticed how low it sounded and how much of the range was missing. There are whole frequency ranges in the and highest ranges that are just missing on PS4. It's most noticeable with Music Unlimited since it's a lot easier to evaluate music, but it's not just a MU issue. Several cross gen games I've tried sound "thin", low, and more compressed on PS4.

Anyone else notice this? Again my AV pre/pro and general system configs between the two systems are identical. Is it just something Sony needs to address via firmware? Or could is be the difference with using the TrueAudio processing on the GPU on PS4 vs the Cell on the PS3?
lol, interesting stuff on the cables, but to get back to the OP's question...I too have noticed a difference. Not necessarily with music, because I can't play MP3s on the PS4. I have noticed with games that, with the exception of Battlefield 4, I have to turn the volume up significantly higher when gaming on the PS4.

And yes, I do go into the game options and adjust volume settings. Probably the worst culprits so far have been Infamous Second Son, and Killzone Shadowfall.
post #14 of 25 Old 07-25-2014, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 200
The reason for having to raise the volume is typically because there is more dynamic range. I can't comment on the Music Unlimited service as I don't subscribe to that. I haven't heard anything on the PS4 that sounds compressed or thin in regards to games. In fact, it's been the opposite for nearly every game I've played. The sound is better than I expected.

I'm running LPCM in the Sound and Screen menu. Just remember, louder doesn't necessarily mean better.
post #15 of 25 Old 07-25-2014, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 34
MP3s are not a good way to determine if something sounds good, either.
Smigro likes this.
post #16 of 25 Old 07-28-2014, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
O-M-G
post #17 of 25 Old 07-28-2014, 05:51 PM

I've heard the power cables actually do make a difference depending on the device - any truth to that?
post #18 of 25 Old 07-28-2014, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked: 778
^ troll?

if not - think about what you are doing by purchasing an 'audiophile' power cable.

You have a nice thick flexible multistrand copper cable that is 6' long. Looks good, feels solid - - far better than your average cord, thick heavy, claims it can carry ridiculous amp loads!

But lurking behind your home depot cheap Chinese made $1.49 electrical outlet, that six foot of fancy wire is connected to 100 foot of cheap 14 gauge romex capable of carrying just 15 amps.

A fool and his money are soon parted. Power wires are perhaps the biggest crock of anything in this hobby.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint

Last edited by Archaea; 07-28-2014 at 06:23 PM.
post #19 of 25 Old 07-29-2014, 08:37 PM
Advanced Member

There was a double blind test with super high end equipment a while back where they connected everything via "high end" interconnects (read : rip offs) vs using BARE coat hangers.

And NO ONE COULD RELIABLY TELL THE DIFFERENCE! (plus, that was in the analog domain, where in theory there could be a detectable difference).

Does anyone have that link? I lost it.

Last edited by RLBURNSIDE; 07-29-2014 at 08:45 PM.
post #20 of 25 Old 07-29-2014, 08:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoThru22 View Post
To quote Jerry Seinfeld, "I don't think you do."
QFT (and...Lol)
post #21 of 25 Old 08-08-2014, 12:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Lemme guess, you bought these, so you are justifying your foolish purchase by BS'ing us into thinking you made a great purchase? Get outta here,fool
post #22 of 25 Old 08-09-2014, 08:53 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:

Riiiiggghhhttt. Let me guess, the glass optical cable is better too?

It's digital, it works or it doesn't. There is literally no middle ground here. You have sound or no sound.
post #23 of 25 Old 08-09-2014, 08:54 PM

Sheesh this community sure is absolutely vicious. I had an employee discount at the time and snagged em' for $30.
post #24 of 25 Old 08-09-2014, 09:49 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Sheesh this community sure is absolutely vicious. I had an employee discount at the time and snagged em' for $30.
I am just messing with you. However you would be shocked at how many people actually believe higher end cables matter for a digital signal.

$30 isn't bad for a cable IF it will last you for years to come. Personally I have bought cheaper ones and had them break. I will NOT be making that same mistake again.

Better cables for build quality is a real thing...better picture..not so much.
post #25 of 25 Old 08-09-2014, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_92 View Post
I am just messing with you. However you would be shocked at how many people actually believe higher end cables matter for a digital signal.

$30 isn't bad for a cable IF it will last you for years to come. Personally I have bought cheaper ones and had them break. I will NOT be making that same mistake again.

Better cables for build quality is a real thing...better picture..not so much.
Yeah, no, as far as video quality goes I've heard it doesn't change whatsoever. Audio quality is the only variable I've heard of myself with these cables.

I have a 3 ft forest and Audio Quest Power Cables for both my 65" VT60 and PS4. Got em all for cheap as I used to work at Best Buy.
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page