AVS Forum banner

PS4 Firmware 1.75.... 3D movie playback finally arrives

3K views 43 replies 19 participants last post by  Chairman7w 
#1 ·
Cool. Just a few more of these key updates and I will only need my PS3 for gaming.

#3 ·
I'm glad it is coming, but I have to laugh at the "finally". I get it should have been there out of the box, but it's only been nine months since launch. If you look at the PS3 nine months after launch in terms of non-gaming capabilities it was pretty pathetic.

Hopefully we get some of the other basic features the PS4 needs to be able to compete with the PS3 on non-gaming fronts soon. I'd love to be able to use HBOGO, for example, the superior WiFi of the PS4 compared to the PS3 would make a real difference for me.

#5 ·
I agree completely, we need some movement on the Harmony front. I get that they're marketing it as a game machine first but it's the only game system in my entertainment rack that can't be controlled by my harmony.

Quite frankly, the X1 is no less disappointing, perhaps more so because it does so many things better on the entertainment front (e.g. movie search across different apps, inclusion of TMNGO in Canada, etc.). The X1's biggest flaw is it's handling of audio, it sends everything through in a predetermined number of audio channels (e.g. 2.0 gets sent as 7.1 with 5.1 empty channels) prohibiting post-processing by an AVR. Otherwise, it's clear the X1 was well thought out for media consumption as it's far quieter than the PS4 and works well wtih harmony and other universal remotes - heck it even acts like a universal remote itself to a limited degree.

#6 ·
While I'm happy to read that I'll finally be able to play 3D BluRays on my PS4, I can't help but notice that this particular feature is announced a few days after MS announces its next update will also include BluRay 3D support.

Now I'm not accusing Sony of copying features or anything like that, just musing that they seemed pretty disinterested in 3D for their latest console until a competitor made a similar announcement.

In the end, if nothing else, its a great argument for how competition forces everybody to keep improving their systems and not rest on their laurels.

#7 ·
I don't think Sony's engineers are going to whip together a feature in a week or so in reaction to an MS announcement. These feature takes months to develop and test. Anyhow it looks like Sony will actually have it out first, so maybe MS jumped the gun and announced something too early in response to a Sony leak? LOL.

#9 ·
System messages previously displayed on the top-right corner of the screen are now displayed on the top-left corner of the screen
Wat. Seriously? I liked them where they were :(.

In a future update: System messages previously displayed on the top-left corner of the screen are now displayed at the top-center of the... the bottom-left of...

#15 ·
Were you able to turn it back on?

#17 ·
Now we need to try a 3D Dolby TrueHD movie (How to Train Your Dragon and Megamind are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head). I'll try one when I get home later today if no one else has.
Several of the more recent Disney 3D titles have Dolby True HD. I think Monsters Inc and Finding Nemo do. Not sure exactly but I have several from Disney that have Dolby True HD. Although I can't find my 3D copy of Finding Nemo.

#20 ·
Been a while since ive messed with the settings. Where and how do I get to the 36 bit settings to check that out.

And in the basic audio output settings, what is best. Linear pcm, or bitstream dolby or bitstream dts. My avr is the denon 4520, plays everything, neo :x

I never realized there was 2 different bitstreams before. I thought bitstream was pure un touched audio.....

#21 ·
I use pcm output for everything from my PS4. Bitstream from the BD will work too. Both will work with the 4520. That is what I am also using.

The deep color setting is in the video section of the settings.

#23 ·
Yes I tried a couple of titles and had no issue. Which was expected anyway. The PS3 had issues because it was designed many years before 3D even came out. So it was still amazing how much they could do with the PS3.

#25 ·
I was looking forward to this feature so I could have just a PS4 in the theater area. But, after installing the 1.75 update last night I attempted to watch Finding Nemo 3D with my daughters. A screen appeared indicating the player did not support 3D playback and that I should check for a firmware update or use a player that supports 3D. I had just completed installing 1.75 so I put the disc in my PS3 and it played it as expected. The movie was rolling for the kids so I didn't have a chance to test other 3D discs in the PS4. I did a quick Google search and didn't get any hits of other people experiencing problems with 3D playback after the update. I'll have to experiment some more when I get a chance.

#26 · (Edited)
Quite a few users on official PS4 forum are having issues with 3D playback. Not sure if the unit needs another patch. Looks like the temporary solution is to turn the CC off on the PS4.

#30 ·
When I started up my PS4 the morning after the update was released, it indicated there was an update available and asked me if I wanted to install it.

App updates seem to happen automatically, I just see that patches were applied. That might be a PS+ feature though.

#41 ·
I tried several 3D titles on my PS4 and they all played back in 3D like they would on my 3D BD players. And like on my XBOnes now too.

#43 ·
I guess it's still part of the preview program.

#44 ·
It seems the "Capture previous 15 minutes of Video" function is working again.

That's a good thing. It was Iffy as heck for the longest. That's actually being quite generous. It basically didn't work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.