Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 7 Unread 07-23-2014, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 188
PS4 Firmware 1.75.... 3D movie playback finally arrives

Cool. Just a few more of these key updates and I will only need my PS3 for gaming.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Unread 07-23-2014, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Excellent news. Now I just hope they give us lossless audio to go with it.
post #3 of 7 Unread 07-24-2014, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 84
I'm glad it is coming, but I have to laugh at the "finally". I get it should have been there out of the box, but it's only been nine months since launch. If you look at the PS3 nine months after launch in terms of non-gaming capabilities it was pretty pathetic.

Hopefully we get some of the other basic features the PS4 needs to be able to compete with the PS3 on non-gaming fronts soon. I'd love to be able to use HBOGO, for example, the superior WiFi of the PS4 compared to the PS3 would make a real difference for me.
post #4 of 7 Unread 07-24-2014, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 188
HBGo has been confirmed for the PS4, but who knows when it'll release. My biggest with would be for the PS4 to work with the current Harmony adapter and remotes. Doubt it happens though.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #5 of 7 Unread 07-24-2014, 01:08 PM
EVT
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post
HBGo has been confirmed for the PS4, but who knows when it'll release. My biggest with would be for the PS4 to work with the current Harmony adapter and remotes. Doubt it happens though.
I agree completely, we need some movement on the Harmony front. I get that they're marketing it as a game machine first but it's the only game system in my entertainment rack that can't be controlled by my harmony.

Quite frankly, the X1 is no less disappointing, perhaps more so because it does so many things better on the entertainment front (e.g. movie search across different apps, inclusion of TMNGO in Canada, etc.). The X1's biggest flaw is it's handling of audio, it sends everything through in a predetermined number of audio channels (e.g. 2.0 gets sent as 7.1 with 5.1 empty channels) prohibiting post-processing by an AVR. Otherwise, it's clear the X1 was well thought out for media consumption as it's far quieter than the PS4 and works well wtih harmony and other universal remotes - heck it even acts like a universal remote itself to a limited degree.
post #6 of 7 Unread 07-25-2014, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 46
While I'm happy to read that I'll finally be able to play 3D BluRays on my PS4, I can't help but notice that this particular feature is announced a few days after MS announces its next update will also include BluRay 3D support.

Now I'm not accusing Sony of copying features or anything like that, just musing that they seemed pretty disinterested in 3D for their latest console until a competitor made a similar announcement.

In the end, if nothing else, its a great argument for how competition forces everybody to keep improving their systems and not rest on their laurels.
post #7 of 7 Unread 07-25-2014, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 78
I don't think Sony's engineers are going to whip together a feature in a week or so in reaction to an MS announcement. These feature takes months to develop and test. Anyhow it looks like Sony will actually have it out first, so maybe MS jumped the gun and announced something too early in response to a Sony leak? LOL.

Now playing: Destiny Beta, Wolfenstein
Recently Finished: Watch Dogs, Southpark: Stick of Truth, Infamous: SS
PSN & XBL: Scuzzlebutt33
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List