PS4 Blu-ray Movie Performance - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 08-20-2014, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
mbroadus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 1,511
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 28
PS4 Blu-ray Movie Performance

With the news that FarCry 4 and Uncharted 4 will be released in the near future, I'm contemplating buying a PS4 to replace my PS3. The only issue I have is that I've heard that the PS4 performs poorly for blu-ray movie playback. Curious if anyone that's made the switch from PS3 to PS4 notices a difference in blu-ray performance?
mbroadus is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 Old 08-20-2014, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: St Louis
Posts: 1,934
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 92
For a time the PS4 didn't support 3D playback (added in a recent firmware update). Other than that there is no issue I am aware of, it's a fine Blu-ray player (not a top player, but the PS3 hasn't been a top player for years).
Abaddon is offline  
post #3 of 7 Old 08-20-2014, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
mbroadus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 1,511
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaddon View Post
For a time the PS4 didn't support 3D playback (added in a recent firmware update). Other than that there is no issue I am aware of, it's a fine Blu-ray player (not a top player, but the PS3 hasn't been a top player for years).
The PS3 has always been an editor's pick on Cnet. Of course, I'm looking for a reason to buy an Oppo.
mbroadus is offline  
post #4 of 7 Old 08-20-2014, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member
 
tfoltz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: CA
Posts: 3,525
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Everything looks great to me. It runs/loads a lot faster than the PS3 and I haven't noticed any difference in quality for bluray playback (2D and 3D). It's biggest fault for me is that it's not compatible with harmony remotes and there is no bluray remote.
tfoltz is offline  
post #5 of 7 Old 08-20-2014, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
mbroadus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 1,511
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfoltz View Post
Everything looks great to me. It runs/loads a lot faster than the PS3 and I haven't noticed any difference in quality for bluray playback (2D and 3D). It's biggest fault for me is that it's not compatible with harmony remotes and there is no bluray remote.
Thanks...I feel your pain, I have a harmony remote too!
mbroadus is offline  
post #6 of 7 Old 08-20-2014, 05:29 PM
VR3
Newbie
 
VR3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone with a 4k tv tried playing one of those remastered 4K bluray movies on the ps4? Does it work? Thx
VR3 is offline  
post #7 of 7 Old 08-20-2014, 09:33 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 21,415
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroadus View Post
With the news that FarCry 4 and Uncharted 4 will be released in the near future, I'm contemplating buying a PS4 to replace my PS3. The only issue I have is that I've heard that the PS4 performs poorly for blu-ray movie playback. Curious if anyone that's made the switch from PS3 to PS4 notices a difference in blu-ray performance?
The PS4 works great playing back 2D and 3D BD titles. Whether bitstreaming the audio or sending out pcm audio like I do with it. And the PS4 will even send out high resolution, 96Khz pcm, audio from the BDs that have it. Unlike the XBOne.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

aaronwt is offline  
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off