PlayStation Vue - streaming TV channels and live events to your Sony devices - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 27Likes

post #1 of 139 Old 11-13-2014, 12:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 233
PlayStation Vue - streaming TV channels and live events to your Sony devices

Intriguing...

Quote:
"Everyday TV is about to become extraordinary with our new cloud-based TV service, PlayStation™Vue," said Andrew House, President and Group CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. and Group Executive in charge of the Network Entertainment Business. "PlayStation™Vue reinvents the traditional viewing experience so your programming effortlessly finds you, enabling you to watch much more of what you want and search a lot less. PlayStation™Vue brings the best of live TV and a robust catalog of the latest content, always keeping you connected to what's popular, new and trending. Today's announcement builds on the historic success of PlayStation®4 and demonstrates what our company is capable of when we embrace disruption and stay true to gamers."

Removing Barriers between Viewers and Content:

PlayStation™Vue leverages the power of the cloud to combine the live, on-demand, and catch-up TV content viewers love with a powerful user interface that delivers unprecedented personalization and simplicity.

• PlayStation™Vue immediately connects viewers to the content they want to watch, helps them easily access their favorite shows and channels, and recommends movies and shows based on their viewing habits and what's trending.
  • Discovering content is both simple and powerful with PlayStation™Vue. The smart "Search" feature narrows down results quickly and intuitively, and the powerful "Explore" function allows viewers to filter the entire catalog of live and on-demand content by type of program, genre, ratings, popularity, length and more.
  • PlayStation™Vue delivers catch-up and on-demand TV, freeing viewers to watch TV on their own schedules. The service makes the past three days of popular programming available without the need to schedule recordings.
  • Viewers can save their favorite shows to the cloud without storage restrictions or scheduling conflicts. Once viewers tag a favorite show, they will automatically have access to episodes of that show for 28 days so that they can watch on their own time.
  • PlayStation™Vue is simple to navigate and intuitive to use. By leveraging the power of the PlayStation® platform and controller, viewers are always one click away from quick access to watching, finding, and discovering content.

The Best Content on TV:

During the invite-only beta, PlayStation™Vue will initially offer around 75 channels per market from the following major programmers, including local broadcast stations, so that viewers can enjoy their favorite movies, TV shows, and sports programs.

The following is a list of our current network partners, with additional partners to be announced in the future:

• CBS – At launch, PlayStation®Vue will offer the live linear signal from CBS Television Network's owned-and-operated TV stations in select leading markets in addition to on-demand prime-time programming.
  • Discovery Communications – Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, Investigation Discovery, Science, OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network, Discovery Family Channel and 11 more brands.
  • Fox – Fox Networks Group's portfolio of national entertainment programming services, including - FX, FXX, FXM, National Geographic Channel and Nat Geo WILD. Additionally FOX Sports' national and regional programming services - FOX Sports 1, FOX Sports 2, BTN, Fox's regional sports networks, including YES Network and Prime Ticket. The agreement also covers Fox's owned and operated television stations.
  • NBCUniversal – All local offerings from NBC, Telemundo and regional sports networks as well as Bravo, CNBC, E!, NBCSN, Oxygen, Sprout, Syfy, USA Network and more.
  • Scripps Networks Interactive – HGTV, Food Network, Travel Channel, DIY Network and Cooking Channel.
  • Viacom – BET, CMT, Comedy Central, MTV, Nickelodeon, PALLADIA, Spike, VH1 and more.

Transparent Pricing with No Commitments:

Pricing and packaging details will be revealed at commercial launch but PlayStation™Vue is changing the rules for how people pay for subscription TV.

• What you see is what you pay – fair and competitive price that is transparent with no hidden fees or charges.
  • No contracts – maximum flexibility as PlayStation™Vue will be offered on a month-to-month basis without any penalty or customer service hassles for cancellation.
  • No equipment or installation charges – with broadband internet service and a PlayStation®4 system or PlayStation®3 system, there's no need to install or rent any additional equipment.

Availability:

PlayStation™Vue will begin an invite only beta preview during November for select PlayStation®4 and PlayStation®3 owners, with a phased rollout starting in New York followed later by Chicago, Philadelphia, and Los Angeles. The service will also become available on iPad® shortly thereafter, and later on more Sony and non-Sony devices.

PlayStation™Vue will launch commercially during the first quarter of 2015.
DarrellG and Lethean like this.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 139 Old 11-13-2014, 12:25 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I'm (more than) slightly intrigued.

The only real reason I haven't cut the cord yet with Dishnetwork (as much as I enjoy their service) is the fact that so far none of these providers offer all the channels I frequently watch - FOX, NBC, AMC, Fox Sports 1, CW (what? I'm a sucker for "Arrow" :P).

Seeing that PS Vue has at least 3 of the 5 brings me closer to switching.

Time to try and get into that beta!

post #3 of 139 Old 11-13-2014, 04:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethean View Post
I'm (more than) slightly intrigued.

The only real reason I haven't cut the cord yet with Dishnetwork (as much as I enjoy their service) is the fact that so far none of these providers offer all the channels I frequently watch - FOX, NBC, AMC, Fox Sports 1, CW (what? I'm a sucker for "Arrow" :P).

Seeing that PS Vue has at least 3 of the 5 brings me closer to switching.

Time to try and get into that beta!

I agree. This could be a game changer. I hope their channel lineup is pretty good along with aggressive pricing. This could allow me to cancel my cable. Not to mention the HBO Go eventually being sold without a cable/sat subscription.
post #4 of 139 Old 11-13-2014, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 348
I'm extremely intrigued! We cut the cord back in Feburary and have done okay with just OTA, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu+ and using other family members logins to access Watch ESPN, Watch Disney Jr, HBO Go etc. My big issue is that the Watch ESPN app sucks, at least on Apple TV. Streams freeze up and buffer all the time. I have to restart the app 4 or 5 times during a single football game, really annoying.

The only thing I've really missed was baseball, there just ins't a good way to watch baseball without cable. MLB.TV wouldn't work because all local market games are blacked out so I wouldn't be able to watch the Braves through that service. Couldn't even watch the post season because it was only on cable, except for the World Series. At least the Braves had a poor year which made it a little easier.

Price is going to be the big sticking point for me, we dropped DirecTV to save money because we were struggling to pay some bills. From reading that information, my guess is that this sounds like a $20-$30 per month type of service which would be to rich for my blood right now (unless we start dropping Netflix, Amazon and Hulu, which I don't think we will). For me, it needs to be in the $10 range. Better yet, make a new PS+ tier that is 9.99 per month and includes all PS+ features and Vue (PS+ is basically 4.17 per month right now, if you paid full price). I really hope it is aggressively priced, someone needs to take a huge shot at cable/sat providers.

The wording they used about pricing does worry me a bit. They said "pricing and packaging details.." which makes it sound like there will be some kind of tiers which is what I hate about cable/sat providers. So, I doubt there is going to be one low aggressive price to get everything like Netflix or Hulu. If Playstation Now is any indication then I don't expect a very good price from Sony, if this launches and is close to $30+ per month for everything, it will fail IMO.

Definitely interested, just need to see what it will cost.

Last edited by rolltide1017; 11-13-2014 at 07:13 AM.
post #5 of 139 Old 11-13-2014, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

To suggest it should cost $5 and some change each month (your PS+ option) when a barebones cable tier is easily more than 10x that right now seems unrealistic.

As for me, until I can watch my sports teams live I am stuck with cable.

post #6 of 139 Old 11-13-2014, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, if it cost the same as a barebones cable tier (which is close to $60 around here) then it will fail. I will not pay cable prices ever again. This thing will be view as a streaming service by most people and will therefore have to compete with Netflix, Amazon and Hulu prices. Just have to wait and see but, I think most people would laugh at this service if it came anywhere near basic cable prices.
post #7 of 139 Old 11-13-2014, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post
Well, if it cost the same as a barebones cable tier (which is close to $60 around here) then it will fail. I will not pay cable prices ever again. This thing will be view as a streaming service by most people and will therefore have to compete with Netflix, Amazon and Hulu prices. Just have to wait and see but, I think most people would laugh at this service if it came anywhere near basic cable prices.
Agreed. There has to be a reason to go this route over cable and pricing is the only way unless they offered a la carte choices
post #8 of 139 Old 11-14-2014, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Sony might have a winner here. It's just too bad it'll most-likely come to iPad first before it comes to the PS Vita and PS TV.
post #9 of 139 Old 11-14-2014, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Selling Vue subscriptions for $60 a month is as unrealistic as charging $5 a month. Neither extreme is going to happen.

post #10 of 139 Old 11-16-2014, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post
Selling Vue subscriptions for $60 a month is as unrealistic as charging $5 a month. Neither extreme is going to happen.
The problem is they have to compete. Because when you drop cable they jack up your internet rates. This has to be factored into play. So are you going to end up paying the same amount? If so why would you switch?
post #11 of 139 Old 11-17-2014, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 48
That's been my thinking too. Even if everyone were to offer cheaper pricing, if there isn't one service that offers everything you want, it's going to add up quickly. You may end up paying the same as cable, but having only 15 channels versus 3 million with cable. So why switch if it isn't cheaper?

bg
post #12 of 139 Old 11-18-2014, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

The simple answer is obvious: none of us have any idea what the pricing is so it isn't even possible to reach a conclusion either way.

post #13 of 139 Old 11-30-2014, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
I agree 100%. I live in Phoenix and right now our cable bill (+ Netflix) is $175/month. This includes extended tv package (AMC, CNN, HG-tv, Bravo, ESPN, etc) Internet, HBO, and Showtime. Pricing WILL be the make of break for this service. Since HBO and Showtime are both planning on offering streaming Internet services this coming year, we are covered there. The biggest adjustment will be learning to live without ESPN. I'm a sports fan and love their programming (30 for 30, First Take, Sports Center, and most of the Team USA soccer games).
I was reading an article the other day where some analyst "estimated" the service to cost $60/month. If that is so, this service WILL fail. For my wife and I, anything $40-$45/month and under will probably get us to switch. anything under $35/month will DEFINATELY get us to switch.
post #14 of 139 Old 11-30-2014, 02:46 PM

Quote:

If Playstation Now is any indication then I don't expect a very good price from Sony, if this launches and is close to $30+ per month for everything, it will fail IMO.

Rolltide,

Are you saying that you basically want the service for free? lol. The biggest complaint most people have about the cable companies, is that you pay lots of $$$ for channels that you don't watch. When speaking to people about the channels they watch, most EVERY channel they watch will be available on PS Vue (with exception of EPSN and ABC but those are still being negotiated as we speak.). $30/month for the 75 channels they've already confirmed would be a STEAL.
post #15 of 139 Old 11-30-2014, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalsaber View Post
The problem is they have to compete. Because when you drop cable they jack up your internet rates. This has to be factored into play. So are you going to end up paying the same amount? If so why would you switch?
Metalsaber,

This is why Net Neutrality is going to be a hot topic in the next few years. The cable companies could do what you're talking about (I believe Comcast already did this as well is sue Netflix) but they will only just open the doors for SOME company to come in an offer unlimited service for a cheaper price. In addition, I don't see this happening anytime in the near future. It will probably be an issue in about 7 - 10 years as more and more people continue to cut the cord (in addition to bootlegging shows). I live in Phoenix and we have Cox and Quest. Cox is definitely better and have the majority of the market here in this city. However, if they want to raise my usage rates (currently up to 50 Mbps), they better install some better infrastructure to allow much faster speeds.
post #16 of 139 Old 12-08-2014, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Here's an early peek at the User Interface in action. Looks snappy with the familiar XMB flavor:

post #17 of 139 Old 12-09-2014, 09:48 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 136
^^^

That does look slick. My primary thoughts/questions:

1) MUST have ABC to be a credible cord cutting option
2) How long do the "Prior Shows" last? I DVR everything and sometimes stockpile episodes for a month or more and then binge. If I can't do this, then it's not for me.
3) Media remote please Sony

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
post #18 of 139 Old 12-09-2014, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Currently it's a negative on all three of your points (mostly from the first post). No Disney owned content, 28 days max storage, and there is no PS4 remote as of yet.

post #19 of 139 Old 01-06-2015, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Interesting. Seems like a lot of companies are trying to experiment with services like this. I cut the cord a little over a year ago.......well half cut the cord since I still need internet. Then came Netflix......Amazon....... been reading about Dish's upcoming Sling TV.......and now VUE. Short of vastly superior user interfaces, I am really starting to wonder what the advantage of cutting that cord was since all these "cheaper" services are adding up to more than cable...just split up into several pieces.

Cable companies are not gonna sit back....especially since you still need them for Internet to stream all these services. They will get you one way or the other.

Sadly, For something like Vue to be viable for Sony their pricing will have to be high enough that few will see it as a alternative to cable/sat TV.

The Sling TV so far seems like the best approach....assuming they can really develop it into a semi ala-carte solution. Sling + OTA looks to be a interesting option for me.
post #20 of 139 Old 01-09-2015, 05:06 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I wonder if there is any potential hope for pricing based on what they recently announced as subscription prices for PlayStation Now - $20/month or $15/month in a block of 3 months.

Completely different services, I know, but if you checked out the beta of PlayStation Now at all, then you would have seen how crazy some of their game rental prices were. Especially early on. They adjusted things as the beta progressed.

The fear that a lot of people had, however, was that even though people were asking about "all-you-can-eat" subscriptions, Sony would price it too high.

Now though, the PlayStation Now prices they announced don't seem too ridiculous. To me at least. Gives me some hope that Sony has learned a thing or two about how not to price themselves out of a market and maybe PlayStation Vue might not be too bad.

It's a stretch I know, but since they didn't really give any details at CES like I was hoping it's getting me anxious. Of course, being in Canada the odds are slim I will even be able to use this.
post #21 of 139 Old 01-09-2015, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm still hoping we get a price list along with complete list of channels offered.
post #22 of 139 Old 01-17-2015, 08:04 AM

Smile

Sony needs to GET ON THE BALL and start releasing some more info about their service. Right now, all we know is that it's in beta testing and will offer 75 channels when released. The big news this last week was all about Sling TV. After reading about that, Sling TV and PlayStation Vue are the two best possibilities for me because I plan on cutting the cord after this year. I'm planning on buying a Roku 3 as my streaming player to replace our cable box when I do cut the cord. With that being said, here are the pros/cons "I" see on PlayStation 3 & 4/Vue vs. Roku/Sling Tv.

PLAYSTATION:
I own a PS3 (no need to buy PS4 because lack of games I can play on my pc) and PS3 gives me access to all of the popular cord cutting options like Amazon, Hulu, HBO GO, and Netflix. The major downside of Sony is they most likely (as stated by Dish Network President) will NOT offer to have the Sling Tv app on their system. It makes sense because Sony is competing with Dish but that's a major drawback for me to NOT have the "option". Lastly, sony needs to release more info on channels, when it is expected to go nationwide, and pricing/bundles, etc. Too much unknown.

ROKU/Sling TV:
Roku (based on reviews) seems to be the front runner for people who are cutting the cord (unless you're an Amazon Prime person, then its the Fire tv). Roku, provides the SAME access to apps like Amazon, Hulu, Netflix, etc. I'm not sure if it's on there now since I don't own one, but I'm assuming once HBO and Showtime start their stand alone services later this year, they will be available on the Roku. Roku will also offer access to Sling Tv which provides access to the live streaming shows, as well as the BIG DOGS ESPN and ESPN 2. All of the shows my wife and I currently watch are on sling tv. All the rest of the stuff we have access to thru amazon, Netflix or Hulu. The price is good and, for me, there is no downside to the Roku.

So, with that being said, what do you guys think between these two devices and the services they provide? I want to wait for Sony to release ALL of their info before I make a decision to buy, but they are losing ground with me every week. Looks like I may go with Roku or even buying my FIRST X-Box console (X-Box One will also provided access to Sling tv) because they are dragging their feet.
post #23 of 139 Old 01-19-2015, 04:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Interesting. I cut the cord a couple of years back, preferring to stick with Netflix/Prime. However they wormed their way back in when we moved by offering us digital cable for only 1 penny more than what we paid for internet for 1 year. That year is up and the price kicked back in. Now we're thinking of cutting the cord again.

If this Vue service has enough channels and is significantly cheaper than digital cable ($25 bucks a month?) then we will most assuredly cut the cord again and activate this service.

The question I have is this:

What is the quality like?

Current streaming options have "decent" video quality, but is nowhere near Blu Ray or even broadcast TV at 1080i. If the quality of this TV service is going to be equivalent to 1080 Netflix, I'm not sure if I want to do that or not.

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
post #24 of 139 Old 01-19-2015, 05:05 PM

I don't see why they WOULDN'T have streaming quality = to Netflix. If you're a "new" player to this area, you can't come out of the gate with subpar service/quality. My question to you and the rest of the people reading this thread is:

HOW MUCH DO YOU GUESS THIS SERVICE WILL COST ? ? ?

With Sling TV offering 12 of the most popular channels at $20/month, I'm guessing that PlayStation Vue will have to come in at AT LEAST $40 ($45 MAX) per month to be competitive. I have Cox Advanced package now (cheapest package you can get with TLC, Bravo, HG-TV, ESPN, etc) and that runs $64/month.
post #25 of 139 Old 01-21-2015, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lando4534 View Post
I don't see why they WOULDN'T have streaming quality = to Netflix. If you're a "new" player to this area, you can't come out of the gate with subpar service/quality. My question to you and the rest of the people reading this thread is:

HOW MUCH DO YOU GUESS THIS SERVICE WILL COST ? ? ?

With Sling TV offering 12 of the most popular channels at $20/month, I'm guessing that PlayStation Vue will have to come in at AT LEAST $40 ($45 MAX) per month to be competitive. I have Cox Advanced package now (cheapest package you can get with TLC, Bravo, HG-TV, ESPN, etc) and that runs $64/month.
that debatable.

I imagine it's going to be 40+
post #26 of 139 Old 02-07-2015, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalsaber View Post
that debatable.

I imagine it's going to be 40+

LATEST info I've read is that the PlayStation Vue service will be $60 - $80. If that's the case, I think it will be DOA. I'm sure that in some parts of the country, $60-$80 would be cheaper than what you pay for cable but I live in Phoenix and have Cox for cable/Internet. Our cable portion of our bill (minus extras for HBO/Showtime) is $55/month. So basically, if I went with PS Vue based on that pricing, I would be paying MORE and getting LESS.

Its sad because I'm in the market for a console because there are some games coming out this fall that I would like to play and the ability to get Sling TV on the Xbox One is probably going to cause me to by my FIRST X-box instead of a PlayStation. All the reviews I've read on Sling Tv have been very positive. I don't own a DVR so the ability to pause/rewind/fast forward isn't a big deal for me.$20 for all the channels I currently pay $55 for plus paired with Netflix, I will be able to get all the stuff my wife and I currently watch and save at least $300/year.
post #27 of 139 Old 02-07-2015, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

If the $60 - $80 rumor is true, then what a complete joke. I wouldn't even use a free trial period for that if they offer one. The service will have to be below $40 to get me interested, anything more and I mind as well subscribe to cable again.
post #28 of 139 Old 02-08-2015, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
If the $60 - $80 rumor is true, then what a complete joke. I wouldn't even use a free trial period for that if they offer one. The service will have to be below $40 to get me interested, anything more and I mind as well subscribe to cable again.
Exactly.
post #29 of 139 Old 03-06-2015, 04:41 AM

Smile

One of the things I'm starting to really worry about is these data caps. To be honest, I never knew internet even HAD caps until I started looking at cutting the cord. I live in Phoenix and have Cox. Right now, our current cap for the plan I have it 300GBs (could be 250 as well). When you go onto Cox's site to use their "Data Usage Calculator", it doesn't look good for cord cutters IF they start to really enforce those caps. It broke down to basically about 5 hours of tv per day. Now, this wouldn't normally be an issue for me, BUT my wife and I both work very flexible jobs. For example, this would be a typical Monday for us.

ME: ESPN's First Take (2 hrs), ESPN's Around the Horn and PTI (1 hr), CNN news (1 hr)
HER: Project Runway (1 hr), Various stuff on Netflix (1.5 - 2 hrs)
BOTH: Currently watching 2 episodes of "The Americans" on Amazon Prime (2 hrs)

So, that adds up to 7 - 8 hrs of tv per day that we watch between the two of us. Now, of course we also go out, have social lives, and don't do this routine EVERY night, but since we just had a child, we do find ourselves home more now than in the past.
post #30 of 139 Old 03-11-2015, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Little updated info from IGN:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/03/...abb8457300001e

Set to release in 3 cities in 2 weeks with the rest of the country by end of 2015. HOWEVER, they still haven't announced any pricing. That alone should be a major concern. The fact that it's releasing in 2 weeks and they can't even release a full channel list or pricing could be death before it even gets off the ground.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply PlayStation Area