PS4 digital game sharing with another PS4? - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By lodolfan

post #1 of 22 Old 12-25-2014, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 26
PS4 digital game sharing with another PS4?

I really need some help with this understanding it. First off. I have gone all digital with my current PS4. It also has PS+. Now I have another account on their that is my sisters. Guest account I guess you could say with no PS+. But, she uses mine to play online since it lets you with her account. Now she wants to get her own PS4. Can I share my digital library of games with her and both of us can play at the same time? Online? Destiny for an example.... Or would this require another copy of Destiny for this to happen? If so. I would think she can still use my PS+ though to play online with her account?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 12-25-2014, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter

I hope someone can help me out here ASAP that has 2 consoles? I really want to get that other PS4. But, don't want to order extras if I don't have to. Destiny and another PS+.
post #3 of 22 Old 12-26-2014, 02:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 290
In order to do what you want, her PS4 will have to be set as your Primary Console, while the one you have at your house will be your secondary. She will log in under your PSN ID to download the games. Once they are downloaded, she can log out of your account and into hers, and she'll have access to all the games on that console, even if she uses her ID (kind of like you can do now, if she logs in as a guest at your house, she will have access to all games on your hard drive).

In order for her to play multiplayer or chat with anyone, she will need a PS+ subscription of her own. No way around that. Also, if you're playing a game on your console and she logs in with your ID at her house (say, to download a game you just purchased), you will get booted off PSN until she logs out of your account, as you can only be signed into a single console at a time.

There is probably a few more stipulations that I'm forgetting as I've never actually done what you are trying to do. Maybe someone else can chime in.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
My SD/HD movie collection
post #4 of 22 Old 12-26-2014, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

My only concern. Can we play the same game though (Destiny) at the same time on the 2 different systems? I would think so? They have a deal where you pick a free game. I don't want to pick Destiny again if it is not needed....
post #5 of 22 Old 12-26-2014, 04:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by FattiesGoneWild View Post
My only concern. Can we play the same game though (Destiny) at the same time on the 2 different systems? I would think so? They have a deal where you pick a free game. I don't want to pick Destiny again if it is not needed....
Short story is that as long as she has your "primary" machine and can log in as you for content updates, and the occasional content user error, you will not need to pay for a game twice unless you are playing with disc copies. You will both be able to play whatever you want at the same time, as long as you are logged in as separate users.

I do this with the kids PS4 and PS3.

Good luck and have fun if the PSN is ever working again.
post #6 of 22 Old 12-26-2014, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpOne View Post
Let's be honest, hackers are only partly to blame for the down time. This happened last year around the holidays when a lot of folks tried to log on st the same time. PSN is an extremely unstable network it seems. Even when it does work, messages don't go through half the time and people constantly get dropped from chat. The free games are nice, but Sony needs to work on their reliability of their network.

Sorry to rant, but I just find this type of stuff completely unacceptable for a service I pay money for.
post #7 of 22 Old 12-27-2014, 12:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpOne View Post
Short story is that as long as she has your "primary" machine and can log in as you for content updates, and the occasional content user error, you will not need to pay for a game twice unless you are playing with disc copies. You will both be able to play whatever you want at the same time, as long as you are logged in as separate users.

I do this with the kids PS4 and PS3.

Just some of the information I am looking for. Thanks to you both. Couple more questions. She has zero paid content on her account. Since both PS4's are in the same household. I will continue to buy the games through my account and dlc. Which speaking of dlc. I buy lots of it for my games. Will this be a issue sharing with her as well with the games?

P.S.

In short to get this going. Fire up her new PS4. Add my account to it. Activate it making it the Primary and Restore Licenses as well. Trigger the downloads and she can then log back into her own account on her new PS4 correct? While the downloads continue in the background? I would assume I do not have to do any thing to my PS4 regarding activating/deactivating? Since she will not need to share her content with me. She has never bought any with her account.
post #8 of 22 Old 12-27-2014, 03:07 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 22
That's all correct, I do the exact same thing with me and my son's systems in separate households. Only thing so far that didn't work was he didn't get the bonus pre-order cash in gta.
post #9 of 22 Old 12-27-2014, 04:55 AM - Thread Starter

Okay last thing getting back to the P.S. part. My current PS4 is the Primary. Will I have to deactivate that and restore licenses first? Or just leave it as is Primary and just set up hers making it Primary with my account restoring licenses as well? Since she has no paid content to share any ways. I apologize if this sounds so confusing. I think Sony done this on purpose to make it a bit complicated not sharing much how to do it. Discourage people you know.... My sister is already kinda on the fritz about if its going to work or not. And a really big pain to get this going it seems she said. Said its almost worth just buying her own stuff again. I told her just to be patient and makes no sense buying twice. When I have lots of games that are digital. Since I went all digital starting on launch day. And since both consoles are in the same household.

Last edited by FattiesGoneWild; 12-27-2014 at 05:00 AM.
post #10 of 22 Old 12-27-2014, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 130
What's been said so far is absolutely correct. I share all my digital games (except GTA V), PS+, and even season passes like BF4 Premium with my 13 yr. old son using this method.

The PS4 in his room is set up as the the "primary" PS4. My PS4 in the main TV room is the secondary. I am the main PS account owner. All digital purchases, subscriptions, season passes are purchased under my profile on the primary (his room) system. When he plays, he only logs into his profile on the primary PS4 (in his room) and has 100% access to all the digital games, PS+ and season passes purchased under my account.

I'm the only one who uses the PS4 (secondary) in the TV room. I log into my profile and also have 100% access to all digital purchases, PS+ and season passes.

Let's say we are both in the mood to play BF4 multiplayer and we both want to play the new DLC maps. He logs into his profile on the primary PS4 in his room, fires up BF4, selects the new DLC maps and sends me invite, which I receive in the secondary PS4 in the TV room which I'm logged into on my profile. I accept the invite. I connect to his game and then we're playing in a 64 player lobby against randoms.

All this was made possible by me purchasing one digital copy of BF4, one $50 PS+ subscription and one BF4 Premium season pass on my account.

And yes, rs600cubed is correct. Preorder bonuses are not shared. They are only made available to the user account who preordered the game which usually will be the primary account owner who purchases the digital games to share with the secondary profiles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mena Samuel likes this.

PSN:Lodolfan16
XBL: Lodolfan16
post #11 of 22 Old 12-27-2014, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

So purchasing wise. If I make a purchase with my account with the PS4 in the living room (not Primary). While hers is primary. Will it send it to her PS4 instead then? I hope not. Because mine is using a wired connection and hers is wireless. I would rather have it first! With the secondary PS4 in your TV room. Did you have to deactivate it from being primary before you hooked up the other PS4 and restore licenses first? Hope I am not going around in circles with this.... I do understand what you guys are saying. But, those 2 are additional questions I guess you could say. I wish the network was up. I want to get this going! Thanks AGAIN everyone for being patient with me and explaining. Greatly appreciated.
post #12 of 22 Old 12-27-2014, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Doesn't matter which console (primary or other) you make the initial purchase on as long as the purchase is made under your profile.

For example, You log in to the secondary on your profile make the purchase and download. Once completed, you can then log into your profile on the primary and go to your library and you should have the option to just download (since you've already purchased it). Now you have the same title on both consoles.

You can also do the vice versa. Purchase and download on primary console under your profile then just download from library on the secondary console.

The catch is you can only be logged into your profile on one console at a time.

post #13 of 22 Old 12-27-2014, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

If I trigger the download from my account on her PS4 and she logs out. Then back onto her account on that PS4. While it is downloading. Can I jump on my PS4 to play online or do any thing? Or do I have to wait until her download is finished regardless?
post #14 of 22 Old 12-27-2014, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, on the primary console you should be able to trigger the download on your account, log out, have her sign in to her profile and have the download continue while she's logged in doing her own activities.

At that moment, you can then log in to your profile on the secondary console and resume your activities.

post #15 of 22 Old 12-27-2014, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

Yup worked great. Thanks!
post #16 of 22 Old 12-27-2014, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter

Patches don't automatically install/update with out PS+ right? So, I would have to go under my account to trigger the patches for her on her PS4?
post #17 of 22 Old 12-29-2014, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Once you are set up, you shouldn't have to do anything else for her except start the download of new content under your profile, such as a new purchase, re-installing a game you previously deleted, or DLC.

Patches should trigger automatically for her for games, just because the game is on the system. I think you have to have that setting enabled as well. My system, as well as the kids' system will download a patch, automatically, regardless of who logs in, once the system is turned on. I do not put either system in standby often.

The one thing I have noticed is that every once in a while, they seem to get locked out of my content. When that happens, I log into my profile on their system and then log one of them back in, and everything is fine after that. This has probably only happened about 3 times in the past year.

Now both you and your sister go get some gaming in!
post #18 of 22 Old 01-15-2015, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

My sister just purchased a couple customization content packs for COD AW. I am having a problem getting them to work with my account/system though. They show as locked. Even though I triggered the download with her account using my PS4. Any ideas? Tried restoring licenses and same thing. Still locked and cannot figure it out. Has Activision/Sledge Hammer put a block on sharing dlc packs like that that is not maps? It said they both had downloaded and installed while I was under her account with my PS4.
post #19 of 22 Old 04-26-2015, 07:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Send a message via AIM to CPU22GIRL Send a message via Yahoo to CPU22GIRL Send a message via Skype™ to CPU22GIRL
How to Share your Digital Content with a Second PlayStation 4 Console

Hi guys (and hopefully some, girls)!

Last night, I was facing a similar issue. I have (2) PSN accounts: My own and my son's, which is a "sub" account of my own account. Here's the problem - my son now has his own PS4 console and wanted to play Destiny online. Well, since sub accounts can't really do that AND I did not want to have to re-purchase the exact same game for a third time (we already have the game on Xbox 360 & Xbox one), I decided to do some research. I can't remember the exact phrase I Googled, but it was something like "how to share digital content across multiple consoles" and amongst the vast amount of information that came up, I found this forum thread.

Thank you, by the way.

Between information I found here, a couple of other sources and the PlayStation Knowledge Base, I was able to do what I was looking to do: Share my digitally purchased content with my son on a second PS4. Fair to note, this is something we have been doing for about 6 years via XBOX, however, we just recently received our PS4 and I was unsure as to how to go about sharing the DLC.

Anywho, I just published this information on my personal blog with all of the details, but since I can't publish links on here yet, (I just joined in order to let you know what actually worked for me) I figured I would share here:

Here is what you will need:

(2) PS4 consoles.

Console #1 - Main console you have set as the "Primary" for your PSN account. This is the PSN account you have purchased your digital content on. Also, this is the console your child (spouse, friend, etc.) will now use with their PSN account.

Console #2 - Secondary console which you will now use for yourself.

(2) PSN Accounts (PSN ID's).

Please note - Per PlayStation: "To enjoy certain PlayStation Plus benefits, you must subscribe to the service." So, in order to play games online, each PSN Account MUST have their own PlayStation Plus Account. If your child is not into online gaming, then you should be fine with just using (1) PlayStation Plus account.

How to share your DLC with another PS4 user:

If you haven't already done so, turn on your PS4 (Console #1 ) and add your PSN account to it, be sure you designate this console as your "Primary" console. (The first time you sign in to your PSN account you will be prompted to activate the console during the sign in process).

If you already added your PSN account previously and forgot to specify it as your primary console, follow these steps instead: After you have signed into your PSN Account: Select [PSN] > [Activate as Your Primary PS4] > [Activate].

Next, add the second PSN account (this is the account that belongs to your child, spouse, relative, etc.) to the console you have designated as your primary console (Console #1 ). This console will now be the secondary user's console. In my case, this is the console my son will use.

Also, fair to note - you should probably add a passcode to your account and disable the automatic login feature on this console. This will make it so the other user will not automatically be signed into your PSN account when they turn the PS4 on. Trust me; there is nothing worse than being in the middle of a firefight and then losing your connection because someone signed in on your primary console as you!

How to set a passcode for your profile: Go to [Settings] > [Login Settings] > [Passcode Management] and choose your passcode.

How to ensure that your account is not set up for automatic login on the PS4: Check [Settings] > [Login Settings] and make sure that the setting is off.

Next, add your own account to the second PS4 console (Console #2 ). DO NOT designate this as your primary console. Per PlayStation: "You can activate only 1 PS4™ system per account."

Next, start downloading all of your previously purchased digital content. This is the console you will now use as your main console, even though it is not the console you have selected as the "primary".

We followed the above steps last night and this morning my son was playing online, via his own PSN account on his own PS4 console. He was able to jump into a game of Destiny and also had all of the DLC Expansion Packs that come with the Destiny Expansion Pass.

I hope this helps save you from purchasing multiple copies of the exact same game and DLC in the future.

Happy Gaming!
post #20 of 22 Old 04-26-2015, 07:59 PM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Does this work like the ps3 did it?
post #21 of 22 Old Today, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Best Explaination Ever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodolfan View Post
What's been said so far is absolutely correct. I share all my digital games (except GTA V), PS+, and even season passes like BF4 Premium with my 13 yr. old son using this method.

The PS4 in his room is set up as the the "primary" PS4. My PS4 in the main TV room is the secondary. I am the main PS account owner. All digital purchases, subscriptions, season passes are purchased under my profile on the primary (his room) system. When he plays, he only logs into his profile on the primary PS4 (in his room) and has 100% access to all the digital games, PS+ and season passes purchased under my account.

I'm the only one who uses the PS4 (secondary) in the TV room. I log into my profile and also have 100% access to all digital purchases, PS+ and season passes.

Let's say we are both in the mood to play BF4 multiplayer and we both want to play the new DLC maps. He logs into his profile on the primary PS4 in his room, fires up BF4, selects the new DLC maps and sends me invite, which I receive in the secondary PS4 in the TV room which I'm logged into on my profile. I accept the invite. I connect to his game and then we're playing in a 64 player lobby against randoms.

All this was made possible by me purchasing one digital copy of BF4, one $50 PS+ subscription and one BF4 Premium season pass on my account.

And yes, rs600cubed is correct. Preorder bonuses are not shared. They are only made available to the user account who preordered the game which usually will be the primary account owner who purchases the digital games to share with the secondary profiles.

I've to say I've read an extensive amount of articles about the subject, by far you deliver the information in a simple and direct way. Thank you
post #22 of 22 Old Today, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mena Samuel View Post
I've to say I've read an extensive amount of articles about the subject, by far you deliver the information in a simple and direct way. Thank you

My pleasure. Here to help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply PlayStation Area