PS4 Bluetooth range fix/improvement - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By dnralston

post #1 of 30 Old 01-17-2015, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
PS4 Bluetooth range fix/improvement

The range on the PS4 bluetooth link is horrible. For me it doesn't work through a single wall at 20 foot distance. So, I thought I'd share my solution. The antenna connector on the motherboard is a U.FL which seems to be standard for bluetooth and wifi. I bought a 4" U.FL to RP-SMA cable off of eBay and connected an ALFA directional antenna and oriented it towards my living room. This improved the range significantly.

If you need even longer range you could try an active range booster like the ALFA APA05. I'd be interested to hear if that works.

Obviously this will void your warranty and possibly end your life. Check out ifixit.com teardown for how to disassemble. Make sure you tighten the RP-SMA connector well and route the wire carefully past the power supply. Here are the pictures:

Well, I guess I can't post pictures yet :roll eyes:
I'll do a few dummy post if you'd like to see them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1715.jpg
Views:	669
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	484337   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1716.jpg
Views:	608
Size:	150.4 KB
ID:	484345   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1717.jpg
Views:	510
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	484433   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1718.jpg
Views:	542
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	484441  
DarrellG likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 01-18-2015, 10:13 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
nice fix, thanks!
post #3 of 30 Old 01-19-2015, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Nice. I'm in same situation. What's odd is I can sit in my seat and experience the controls continue after I have let off, or have a lag after use a control. But if I go to the opposite end of my basement which is prob triple the distance the controller still works, if I go upstairs it still works and the attached controller headset works. I have been noticing this is worse when the controller battery is getting low
post #4 of 30 Old 02-05-2015, 06:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Wow, I really need this (or some other) fix to improve my PS4 range. My equipment room is through a wall or two, and main theater seating is right at 30' from the head unit. I had the PS3 in there, which worked pretty well for range, although it was pushing the limits. Simply swapping the PS3 for the PS4 in the exact same location proved that the PS4 has worse controller range than the PS3, and I get dropouts and bad control inputs all the time.

This U.FL connector that you added the antenna to, is it simply plug-in? No soldering required? This mod would be pushing me as it is, but I wouldn't feel comfortable soldering in a PS4.
post #5 of 30 Old 02-10-2015, 02:21 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Wow that is one cool hack, thanks for sharing!
post #6 of 30 Old 03-17-2015, 04:36 PM

This made things worse for me.

We need about an extra 5-8 feet of range from our PS4 controller. I followed these instructions with no difficulty, checked connections, but unfortunately the range seems to be significantly worse, experiencing problems with major delays/ sound issues then disconnecting altogether. Any ideas? Everything about this seems like it would work and be an improvement over the existing antenna.
post #7 of 30 Old 03-18-2015, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 116
I have the same problem with my rack outside the room. Through a wall. About 15 ft as the crow flies. I posted about this on the xbox forum as well since I have disconnect problems with my Xbox one. My PS3 worked 100 percent of the time in the same location. Very frustrating. I can't believe they took a step backward with this design.

I want to know if there is soldering involved too before I do this mod. I will do some more looking into it. I would be willing to try if it would fix it but it appears it does not work for everyone.

Thanks for posting dnralston.

Does anyone know what is the longest reliable micro usb cable one can buy for the controller? I do not want to have to put my consoles in my room and I would rather have wired controllers than resort to that. I have seen official controllers up to 10 ft and knock offs on amazon up to 20 ft but with poor reviews. I know that the charge function does not work as well the longer you go. But, I am willing to accept this. I just need it to function wired and not rely on the wireless technology. Is there any benefit to using an active usb cable to boost the signal?
post #8 of 30 Old 03-18-2015, 04:18 PM

I'm not sure what we did, but we were able to get it working and squeeze out maybe 10 extra feet which is enough. No soldering involved. This mod takes all of 10 minutes to complete. I live in a city in a condo so there's probably a ton of interference.
post #9 of 30 Old 03-19-2015, 05:12 AM
Advanced Member

I too would still like to hear more details about this mod.

I've tried a USB extension cable to get the 30' to my main listening position, snaking the cable through the hall and through my theater. It charges the controller, but doesn't give wired control. The control is still wireless, and drops out all the time. I even bought a new USB 3.0 extension cable to try this, but it's not working.
post #10 of 30 Old 03-19-2015, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Dotur View Post
I too would still like to hear more details about this mod.

I've tried a USB extension cable to get the 30' to my main listening position, snaking the cable through the hall and through my theater. It charges the controller, but doesn't give wired control. The control is still wireless, and drops out all the time. I even bought a new USB 3.0 extension cable to try this, but it's not working.
Was your cable an active/repeater cable? I am going to try this with an active/repeater 32 ft usb 2.0 cable. Then a normal 3 ft micro usb cable into the controller. Should be here Saturday. I do know that people have used these cables for the kinect and ps move. The old versions that is. I asked tech support at monoprice and he stated that others have had success with doing this with controllers. We will see.

If that does not work I will probably try the mod.

If the mod does not work then I will have to have both consoles in the room which will be a huge hassle to make a place in the already small room and get a shelf made and run cables etc.
post #11 of 30 Old 03-20-2015, 12:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimastergrant View Post
Was your cable an active/repeater cable? I am going to try this with an active/repeater 32 ft usb 2.0 cable. Then a normal 3 ft micro usb cable into the controller. Should be here Saturday. I do know that people have used these cables for the kinect and ps move. The old versions that is. I asked tech support at monoprice and he stated that others have had success with doing this with controllers. We will see.
Yes, this was a powered active USB 3.0 cable. Matter of fact, here's the exact items I tried. Here's the cable:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And that cable doesn't come with a power plug, so I added this to it:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And then used the standard PS4 controller charge/control cable at the end. But it doesn't give me extended control, whether I use it with the power plug, or without. Only charging.

Speaking of, it would be great if we all could share EXACTLY what parts people are using to do mods like this, so we all can try to duplicate what works. The PS4 has been out for a year and a half now, we should absolutely have repeatable solutions by now for controlling the PS4 by IR (or IP), extending the bluetooth controller range, and extending the PS4 camera, the way you can find a zillion youtube videos about how to replace the PS4 hard drive. Searching Amazon for the "U.FL to RP-SMA cable" referenced in the OP, this was the top search result. Would this work?

http://www.amazon.com/U-FL-RP-SMA-Pi...o+RP-SMA+cable

And then doing a similar search for an Alfa antenna, this came up, which looks to be the same antenna used in the OP. Same question--would this work?

http://www.amazon.com/Alfa-2-4HGz-Bo...s=alfa+antenna

Last edited by Chris Dotur; 03-20-2015 at 12:04 AM.
post #12 of 30 Old 03-20-2015, 04:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Oh man I was hoping you were not going to say that. I doubt I will have any more luck. Probably have to return it.

I also ordered a 16 ft active cable just in case. The 32 ft cable was going to go through my conduit to right behind my seat and would have been hidden and perfect. I might however JUST make it with a 16 ft cable and a 3 ft cable attached to that one that would go around the wall and just be laid on the floor right in the way to trip on and I would have to put the cord away every time and get it out again. What a pain.

But, the official range for usb cable is 15 ft. Now, the only official cables I can find are only 10 ft so it is possible that the controllers max range with usb is only 10 ft. My total length with my solution would be 18 ft with 15 of it being active. Fingers crossed. If that does not work then I could look at putting it in the room. I would be furious but will try the mod first.
post #13 of 30 Old 03-21-2015, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Guess what? The PS4 does not allow the DS4 controller to be used in wired only mode. So Chris you never stood a chance to have success because it was only using the faulty bluetooth tech exclusively.

I wish I would have learned this before I purchased the usb active cables. I will need to return them.

This probably means that I have to move it into the room. First I might try the mod in this thread. Pretty ticked right now.

I could still have some luck with my Xbox One though because I think a wired connection is possible. I am going to look into it.

How could Sony have got it so wrong? I mean disallowing a wired connection altogether? What kind of sense does that make? They had to have know that the bluetooth tech had serious issues and was a step back from the DS3 in this regard. Unacceptable.
post #14 of 30 Old 03-21-2015, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Another question for the OP or anyone who knows. Are there distance limitations to the RP SMA cable? It seems it would be best to run the antenna in the room itself and get it closer to the controller and away from the rack and walls etc.
post #15 of 30 Old 03-24-2015, 05:38 PM
Advanced Member

Bummer, dude. I did quite a bit of research around the net trying to fix this problem, and I too never saw anything about no wired capability with the PS4. Sony definitely took a step back with this and the weaker bluetooth in the PS4.

Hopefully we get some more replies in this thread, including confirmation of the parts to do this mod.

Last edited by Chris Dotur; 03-24-2015 at 05:43 PM.
post #16 of 30 Old 03-26-2015, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Bluetooth signal strength improved with console vertical!

Ok after some more research I found another thread that claimed the receiver was located on one side of the console. So theoretically if you use the PS4 vertically the receiver will be further away from any metal that could cause interference. I tried it........and it worked! I have not had any lag or "sticking" issues since after a few sessions of Resogun which is a game that lets you know very quickly if there is any sluggishness.

So although I would rather not have the console vertical in my otherwise tidy looking Middle Atlantic rack it seems this is a better option than moving it into the room.

Thought I would share that with you guys as I will no longer need to do the mod. I bought the "official" stand for the PS4 as well because I noticed when in the vertical position the fans were working overtime and there are some vents on the sides of the console. The stand looks like it will allow some air movement. I have not tried it yet. There are other stands out there with active fans just fyi.

I have the console with its left side up as you are looking at the console from the front. I tried it the other way just out of curiosity and the controller issues were horrendous.

I hope this can be an easy solution for others struggling with this poor design choice in an otherwise great console.
post #17 of 30 Old 03-26-2015, 04:29 PM

Mod update

We followed the original mod to the letter. Although it seems that there may have initially been a boost, it appears that there may not have been, or much of one. Additionally the controller is vertical with the antenna up top. We've tried facing the antenna in both directions with no noticeable difference. Unplugging the headset from the controller will solve some issues, but overall I'm not sure this helped us, regrettably. We're considering the stronger antenna, but it seems to be less available. One thing that seems a little confusing is the fact that this is the wifi antenna that has been swapped/upgraded. Isn't the controller functioning via bluetooth? Do they utilize the same antenna?

Also unbelievable that a wired connection isn't an option.
post #18 of 30 Old 03-26-2015, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Andora View Post
We followed the original mod to the letter. Although it seems that there may have initially been a boost, it appears that there may not have been, or much of one. Additionally the controller is vertical with the antenna up top. We've tried facing the antenna in both directions with no noticeable difference. Unplugging the headset from the controller will solve some issues, but overall I'm not sure this helped us, regrettably. We're considering the stronger antenna, but it seems to be less available. One thing that seems a little confusing is the fact that this is the wifi antenna that has been swapped/upgraded. Isn't the controller functioning via bluetooth? Do they utilize the same antenna?

Also unbelievable that a wired connection isn't an option.
Yes the controller is BT. I could be wrong but I think BT and WiFi use the same antenna.

Did you try using the console vertically and making sure that there is nothing above it?
post #19 of 30 Old 03-27-2015, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimastergrant View Post
Yes the controller is BT. I could be wrong but I think BT and WiFi use the same antenna.

Did you try using the console vertically and making sure that there is nothing above it?
The console is vertical with no obstructions and almost 2 ft. of clearance.

Based on conversation, and the teardown which reveals only one antenna, it would seem that they both must use the singular antenna.

Frustrated with spending hours and $$ trying to make this work for us, we added another TV in a room closer to the PS4 for game play. Sony really messed this aspect up for anyone that has their console wired up in a space that isn't right next to the TV.
post #20 of 30 Old 03-27-2015, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The console is vertical with no obstructions and almost 2 ft. of clearance.

Based on conversation, and the teardown which reveals only one antenna, it would seem that they both must use the singular antenna.

Frustrated with spending hours and $$ trying to make this work for us, we added another TV in a room closer to the PS4 for game play. Sony really messed this aspect up for anyone that has their console wired up in a space that isn't right next to the TV.
Man that stinks. I assume that it is the right way in the vertical position too? As you are looking at the front of the console the right side is on the bottom.

I have problems with my Xbox One just flat out disconnecting. And the only way to "fix" it was to go wired and run an active usb cable into the run through conduit.

It seems like both manufacturers really dropped the ball this go round. I have had problems with my Wii too. Still experimenting with the Wii U. Fingers crossed.
post #21 of 30 Old 03-27-2015, 05:00 PM

Yep. The mod that originates this thread results in an external antenna, so it can only be installed vertically with it at the top. We live in a city with a LOT of WIFI signals etc... so I'm sure that isn't helping our range issues.
post #22 of 30 Old 03-28-2015, 05:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yep. The mod that originates this thread results in an external antenna, so it can only be installed vertically with it at the top. We live in a city with a LOT of WIFI signals etc... so I'm sure that isn't helping our range issues.
I heard advice in another thread to try turning off your 5 Ghz band on your router or switch to a different frequency or something. Not sure if it is worth trying. I turned my router off altogether just to make sure there wasn't any interference and it did not help.

I was a little confused on the orientation of the pics at the top of the this thread about the mod and where the antenna was. I checked my PS4 just to make sure it was the same and it looks like it is with the shiny part of the PS4 that has the disc drive at the top and the matte colored portion with the PS4 logo at the bottom.

I wonder if Sony could update via firmware to allow the controller to default to a wired connection when hooked up to the usb cable? This is the only thing I can think of to help you.

Besides moving the console closer to the TV of course.
post #23 of 30 Old 03-28-2015, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Anyone using newer controllers to compare? When I bought the ps4 15 months ago, I bought a second controller at the same time. I may have narrowed my issue to one controller as one seems fine but other tends to have issues. Of course I have no idea which one came with the console and which one I bought.
post #24 of 30 Old 03-30-2015, 09:59 PM
Advanced Member

My system was bought a few months ago in Dec 2014. An additional two controllers bought from 2 different sources around the same time. All controllers suffer from bluetooth range.
post #25 of 30 Old 06-04-2015, 06:38 AM

Does ps4 TV receive Bluetooth command, if so could you have that in your room just turned on to receive your signal but watch your original tv
post #26 of 30 Old 06-06-2015, 08:54 PM
Advanced Member

den_00 I'm not sure what you mean?
post #27 of 30 Old 06-07-2015, 03:59 AM

Sorry for poor explanation. If you play your ps4 through remote play surely the ps4 TV takes the Bluetooth command and not the playstation it's self. I am lead to believe when you play remote play your main TV connected to the ps4 still shows the picture so if you just had the ps4 TV box next to your main TV that would except the commands and sent then to the ps4
post #28 of 30 Old 06-07-2015, 10:57 PM

I have just removed the ps4 antenna and put it through the holes near the power pack. I now have the antenna outside the ps4 which has improved the signal.
post #29 of 30 Old Yesterday, 08:19 AM

Liked: 10
This is the first thread where I have seen other people with the same issue as me. Sony has already replaced my system and I am still having issues. UGH.
post #30 of 30 Old Today, 05:16 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I guess I'm glad I read this thread before making a final decision on where my rack goes :-/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply PlayStation Area