Spotify Coming To PS3 & PS4 This Spring - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes
  • 5 Post By rolltide1017
  • 1 Post By Zookster
  • 1 Post By NuSoardGraphite

post #1 of 15 Old 01-28-2015, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Spotify Coming To PS3 & PS4 This Spring

Hmm...

I currently have a Beats Music subscription but I may move over to Spotify for this.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/...-meet-spotify/

Spoiler!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-28-2015, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Sony is also killing Music Unlimited.

I hope this means they'll also add support for DLNA or some form of local network streaming. I have no need for a streaming music service, I collect movie score albums and these services have very little of that type of music, especially older classical scores. I own everything I listen to so, I just want to be able to access my music that I own on my PS4 (like I could last gen on the PS3/360). At the very least, let me copy my music to the PS4 HDD, which is what I did last gen.

Glad Music Unlimited failed, I still believe that the only reason the PS4 did not support mp3 playback at launch was because Sony was trying to funnel users to that horrible music service (I used my free trial, it sucked).

PSN ID: RollTide1017
post #3 of 15 Old 01-28-2015, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post

I hope this means they'll also add support for DLNA or some form of local network streaming. I have no need for a streaming music service, I collect movie score albums and these services have very little of that type of music, especially older classical scores. I own everything I listen to so, I just want to be able to access my music that I own on my PS4 (like I could last gen on the PS3/360). At the very least, let me copy my music to the PS4 HDD, which is what I did last gen.

Glad Music Unlimited failed, I still believe that the only reason the PS4 did not support mp3 playback at launch was because Sony was trying to funnel users to that horrible music service (I used my free trial, it sucked).
^This. Sony continues to neglect all those who actually buy and listen to music as complete CD/MP3 albums rather than as playlists, which I have no time to create in a way that I won't quickly tire of them. The PS4 remains the only device with an optical disc drive in my house that doesn't allow CD audio playback. It's also the only network-connected console device in my house that doesn't allow DLNA streaming. Heck, even my two-year-old Sony blu-ray player I bought for $89 allows it.

EDIT: Come to think of it, the PS4 is the only device I own that has an internal hard drive or flash memory of 1 GB or more that doesn't allow audio playback directly from that memory storage ... and that includes a pre-paid burner cell phone.
toddman36 likes this.

Last edited by Zookster; 01-28-2015 at 12:23 PM.
post #4 of 15 Old 02-03-2015, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post

Yes. Hopefully Sony will enable CD, MP3 and DLNA with a firmware update after MU goes the way of the dodo. I agree wholeheartedly that Sony didn't include these services in order to attempt to get the subscriptions up on Music Unlimited. I'm also glad it didn't work. I tried MU out for a few months some years ago when I first got a PS3 and never could find any of my favored artists on there, so I never touched it again.

The addition of Spotify is great news, as I already have a Spotify account and have my playlists setup. Hopefully they add it to the VITA as well.
toddman36 likes this.

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
post #5 of 15 Old 02-04-2015, 10:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Good news indeed.
post #6 of 15 Old 02-05-2015, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

While this would be somewhat tempting to me as I stated in my first post, Spotify's days are numbered.

http://9to5mac.com/2015/02/04/apple-...r-android-ios/
post #7 of 15 Old Yesterday, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #8 of 15 Old Yesterday, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Yeah , they gave me 2 months free premiuM on my PS3. How do you enable High Quality Streaming?
post #9 of 15 Old Yesterday, 10:10 AM

Enabled premium on my pc. I might have to start using Google Play Music. There is a pretty big difference in audio quality vs Music Unlimited. Whats the best way to steam Google Play Music? Audio Quality is very important.
post #10 of 15 Old Yesterday, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelman99 View Post
Enabled premium on my pc. I might have to start using Google Play Music. There is a pretty big difference in audio quality vs Music Unlimited. Whats the best way to steam Google Play Music? Audio Quality is very important.
If you have an iPhone or iPad, gMusic 2 is really good.
post #11 of 15 Old Yesterday, 11:59 AM

I actually want a wired connected streamer for my av receiver for GM. Its not available on my Roku.
post #12 of 15 Old Yesterday, 07:46 PM
DC7

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I tried the new Spotify app for my ps3 and 4 today however I wasn't able to find a way to change the audio settings or quality settings. Is the Spotify audio on the ps3 and 4 limited to stereo only? The MU app played in 5.1 from what i remember. Anyone else having this problem or know of a way to fix it?
post #13 of 15 Old Yesterday, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC7 View Post
I tried the new Spotify app for my ps3 and 4 today however I wasn't able to find a way to change the audio settings or quality settings. Is the Spotify audio on the ps3 and 4 limited to stereo only? The MU app played in 5.1 from what i remember. Anyone else having this problem or know of a way to fix it?
I changed the quality settings on my PC after I downloaded Spotify. I did not see a quality setting on the Spotify PS3 app. Maybe someone here can share their PS3 audio settings. Music Unlimited wins in audio quality I would say. The Spotify app on the PS3 is hard for me to use. Logging in to Spotify on my PC as a second screen works better but I dont see myself staying with Spotify after the trial 2 months ends. I think Google Play Music is the way to go with better audio quality.
post #14 of 15 Old Today, 12:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC7 View Post
On the ps4, it played in 2ch if you have your settings set on lpcm, but when I changed it to bitstream, it showed dolby digital and all channels were active, but I think it just flags dolby digital and isn't true dolby digital because it sounded like 2ch being played through dolby pro logic ii. I prefered the lpcm setting, but there wasn't anything of high quality to justify a premium subscription. Then again, I only went through a few songs, but they all playback in dolby digital and im not sure if it is suppose to or if there are certain songs that are specifically mixed in 5.1 that properly flag dolby digital and others in 2ch, not sure, first time using it.
post #15 of 15 Old Today, 12:35 AM

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Im still Waiting for DLNA on the PS4.... Im amazed its still not been added...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply PlayStation Area