PS4 Remote Play with Xperia Z3 and MHL - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By TedSeattle
  • 1 Post By emartins
post #1 of 5 Old Yesterday, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 45
PS4 Remote Play with Xperia Z3 and MHL

I recently got a Sony Xperia Z3 Compact phone, which supports Remote Play with the PS4. Last night I picked up a MHL cable and hooked it up to my Dell U2414H monitor, allowing the monitor to mirror the phone's screen. Then I was able to use Remote Play on a 24-inch monitor!

MHL doesn't seem to be a really well-known standard. MHL enables a connection between a micro-USB port on your phone or tablet and an HDMI port on your monitor or television; the phone outputs video, while the monitor actually recharges the phone simultaneously. If your monitor's HDMI ports support the MHL standard (as is the case with the Dell U2414H), then all you need is a passive MHL cable; I picked up one from Fry's yesterday for $10. If your monitor doesn't support MHL, you'll need an active MHL adapter; this requires an extra USB connection for power.

MHL actually supports 7.1 sound, but my monitor only has a headphone jack for audio output, so I was limited to stereo. The video quality wasn't perfect, but I'm sure that's due to the Remote Play rather than the MHL. It's not the same as playing on my Pioneer plasma, but as a Remote Play setup, it's pretty nice.
DarrellG and Spanglo like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Yesterday, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked: 591
@Spanglo This is for you

Interesting idea Ted. Hows the picture?
Spanglo likes this.

One of the greatest posts I have read

benjamin-benjami - http://www.avsforum.com/forum/142-pl...l#post24609271
post #3 of 5 Old Yesterday, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Nice TedSeattle. I ordered a 10" Z2 tablet that's due in today, so I'll be remote playing from work soon.

Yeah I think the video comes thru at 720p, so you would take a hit in quality on a larger display.

I've got a 60" LCD in the office, but I'd rather remote play inconspicuously so coworkers don't bug me to play, and I think the image quality at that size would bother me.

PSN - Hapi_Kilmore_v3
My 6.4.4 Living Room HT
post #4 of 5 Unread Today, 01:35 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 45
The video quality looks decent on my 24-inch monitor, although I think it degrades when there's a lot happening on screen. There's a slight lag with the controller, but not bad. Of course, I'm testing Remote Play in my home office, and my PS4 has an Ethernet connection to my router. I don't think I'd try it outside the home. For me, this will just be a way to play PS4 games when my wife wants to watch something on the TV. (I have a Vita as well, but would prefer to use the Dualshock 4 when playing PS4 games.)
post #5 of 5 Unread Today, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 109
I wonder if this would work with the Vita 2000 (with the micro USB port).

Side note, I cannot get remote play to work outside my house. I have 20 MB down and 8 MB up. I also set the port forwarding for the proper ports.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply PlayStation Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page