Playstation 4 audio output and HBO GO app. - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 04-12-2015, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Playstation 4 audio output and HBO GO app.

First part of my question is: I was wondering what you guys have your PS4 set to output under the audio settings in the settings menu? When going to sound, then selecting HDMI as the primary output port, it shows that I have a device connected to the ps4 that can do 7.1 audio which is my Marantz 8801. It also has a check box to output 5.1 audio. I only have a 5.2 setup so Im not sure what reason I would leave the 5.1 checkbox unchecked and send 7.1 to the marantz in LPCM? Im assuming the Marantz would just decode it correctly anyway. Same thing with playing a bluray or game that is 7.1 and you only have 5.1.

Next question is: I got my HBO GO app working but when playing Game of Thrones, Im only hearing sound out of my front right and left speakers along with my two subs. Im assuming that the hbo go is the problem because I read that others were having similar issues with the app not outputting to the center channel. Just 2.1

thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old Today, 01:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezff View Post
First part of my question is: I was wondering what you guys have your PS4 set to output under the audio settings in the settings menu? When going to sound, then selecting HDMI as the primary output port, it shows that I have a device connected to the ps4 that can do 7.1 audio which is my Marantz 8801. It also has a check box to output 5.1 audio. I only have a 5.2 setup so Im not sure what reason I would leave the 5.1 checkbox unchecked and send 7.1 to the marantz in LPCM? Im assuming the Marantz would just decode it correctly anyway. Same thing with playing a bluray or game that is 7.1 and you only have 5.1.

Next question is: I got my HBO GO app working but when playing Game of Thrones, Im only hearing sound out of my front right and left speakers along with my two subs. Im assuming that the hbo go is the problem because I read that others were having similar issues with the app not outputting to the center channel. Just 2.1

thanks in advance.
HBO Go doesn't support 5.1, so you'll only get 2.0 (which IMO means bass management is important).

I would recommend, if you only need 5.1, to only set the PS4 for 5.1. I don't believe that it will mess up anything if you have it set for 7.1. This thread seems to largely address what you're asking (and I believe is relevant, otherwise someone please correct me): [redacted due to new account status, PM for link].

My takeaway is that all modern HDMI receivers are able to take a 7.1 signal, which "is decoded by the receiver's processor and this results in 8 channels of LPCM audio. The 2 back channels would then be mixed down resulting in 6 channels of LPCM data. The LPCM data is then sent to the DAC."

This isn't directly related to your questions, but the PS4 does handle 7.1 systems a bit oddly. If you have it set to 7.1 and your media source only supports 5.1, in many instances you will end up with dead rear channels. This can be a problem if you'd prefer your AVR's DSP to simulate 7.1, but can be resolved by selecting 5.1 for output in PS4 settings when watching or playing such a source.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply PlayStation Area