post #151 of 264 Old 03-03-2017, 01:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1328 Post(s)
Liked: 3729
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad473 View Post
ugh. I have quite the backlog and planned on waiting, but the near universal gushing of how good this looks is going to make me pick it up on the way home from work today.
I'm playing on a Vizio P50... you will likey.

-
"My advice: don't spend money on therapy. Spend it in a record store." – Wim Wenders
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 264 Old 03-03-2017, 09:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aetherhole View Post
HDR or No HDR, this is still one of the most impressive-looking games out. The HDR implementation is quite good!

Also really helps my enthusiasm for this game since the gameplay feels great, too!
Indeed. I must have played 7 hours on the day of release but spent most of the time exploring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dojoman View Post
Not sure how developer did this game but I've played about 3hrs and no frame rate drop and drawing distance is amazing in 4K HDR. Amazing looking game period, even better than Uncharted 4. Gameplay is so fluid and lots of fun just running around.
You get so lost as time just flies past. Keep saying one more hour, one more hour!

I haven't touched the game for a few days now. Sooo addictive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genomecop View Post
Loving the game, my only very small gripe is I wish you could 'pull' back the camera some to give a wider view. In some battles its claustrophobic as you can't see the surrounding area.
Yeah, I ran into a few of those issues but got passed. Some of the battles were intense.

aaronwt likes this.
post #153 of 264 Old 03-04-2017, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Would any of you compare this it shadow of mordor? I liked shadows core gameplay. But felt it was to long the story (I haven't finished it). That's the only recent game I've played this gen that could compare in, the type of game.

post #154 of 264 Old 03-04-2017, 12:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The Batman games felt more like Shadow of Mordor or vice versa.

This feels more like Heavenly Sword in an Avatar/Primal world.
Heavie likes this.
post #155 of 264 Old 03-04-2017, 12:37 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 131
I'd say it cribs quite a bit from Shadow Of Mordor, although I haven't played that since release. Open world, stealth mechanics, "detective vision", extensive skill trees, weapons with slots for mods... It also cribs from Red Dead, GTA, Witcher 3, Tomb Raider, and Far Cry, though - it's not embarrassed about its influences, because it has its own voice. And I find that a lot of the mechanics it "borrows" it does better, or at least more engagingly.

The one thing I wish it had was a more systems-driven world. In Red Dead and Mordor you'd often stumble across things that were happening on their own, and didn't seem to be triggered by your appearance. It gave the world a real feeling of independence, of your being in a world that works whether or not you're there. Here, if you stumble across, say a group of humans fighting some machines, it almost always feels like something that's only happening because it's scripted.
post #156 of 264 Old 03-04-2017, 04:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Cribs?
post #157 of 264 Old 03-04-2017, 04:56 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by xvfx View Post
Cribs?
Copies.
post #158 of 264 Old 03-05-2017, 09:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm reminded a lot of Shadow of Mordor, and also Far Cry Primal.

The combat and battle scenes/scenarios are very engaging, and fairly hard. I've died a lot in battles, even on normal difficulty. The power-ups and loot in Horizon isn't nearly as satisfying as other games.

The map is HUGE! I thought I was starting to get accustomed to the area, but I looked at the map and zoomed out, and I've only been running around in a small section!

-
"My advice: don't spend money on therapy. Spend it in a record store." – Wim Wenders
post #159 of 264 Old 03-05-2017, 01:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

The combat and battle scenes/scenarios are very engaging, and fairly hard. I've died a lot in battles, even on normal difficulty. The power-ups and loot in Horizon isn't nearly as satisfying as other games.
I also love the sound effects like you're in a Transformers battle.

Some of the battles are really... how could one put it? Some of it is crazy fast in a somewhat violent way. Some of the robots are so rapid. One second they're in sight next they're on top of you like that. So much fun though.

Even those fire breathing things. Ouch! Feels like Smaug when 3 of them are on your ass breathing through the debris and areas you think are out of reach.

Quote:
The map is HUGE! I thought I was starting to get accustomed to the area, but I looked at the map and zoomed out, and I've only been running around in a small section!
Yeah its so crazy good! I love the elevation. Some of the hills are crazy steep. Some are dense then open up at the back then run back into the forest. Feels like being a child again out playing commandos in the fields and forests climbing the trees.

The game is so addictive!
DaverJ likes this.
post #160 of 264 Old 03-05-2017, 01:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I should also mention this game does stealth really well.

Other games allow to tag enemies when sneaking around, but I like the unlimited tagging within range. It's nice to check the target's path, find a spot to hide, and wait for it/him to walk by so I can spring out and stealth-kill or override. Or put a trap in the path, but I usually do the former.

-
post #161 of 264 Old 03-05-2017, 10:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

That was scary. Wanted to get a closer look at the sheer size of that thing.

post #162 of 264 Old 03-06-2017, 12:17 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 306
One of the best looking games, featuring one of the worst surround mixes in recent years.

Gameplay and story aside, Horizon is a weird technical feat that has me scratching my head quite a bit. The game looks absolutely fantastic, I'm on a PS4 Pro playing it on 1080p downsampled from 2160c. Game looks freaking clean!

The audio though... quality wise, it's there. I mean, just for fun I measured the stomps of the Tallnecks going down to 15hz! FIFTEEN!
There's also the bgm where there's this very heavy ripple of bass that goes from ~30hz down to 20 very subtly, it's fantastic stuff! Bass heads, THIS is the game you'd want to experience without a doubt.

Unfortunately the surround cues is a mixed bag. Sometimes, it sounds okay. But then often times it can sound wrong, which is very annoying when I'm trying to locate where enemies are. I mean, yes you can bring up the "Focus" to tag enemies. But part of why audio is so damn important in this game is because there's a stealth element to it. Stealth does not work if the surround cues does not work and this is part of why Horizon is a poorly mastered game, audio wise.

Then there's the dialog volume imbalance. If you have a 5.1 or more setup, simply pan your camera in 360-degree motion and you'll notice instantly that voices in the rear channels are often times louder than the one in the center. Then of course there's the dialog channel imbalance where it leaks to the left or right channel, causing an imaging "tear" during cutscenes.

No way to datamine the game since the files are encrypted. So can't tell for sure how their audio files were sampled and mixed sadly.

Guerilla seems to know the problem, but has made no mention of when or how they are going to fix it though. The only patch they're working on now is fixing the crashing bugs that are apparently quite frequent for some players.
|Tch0rT|, Firedrill and Evan E like this.

- 5.2.4 Bedroom Theater -
SVS Ultra Bookshelf + SVS Ultra Center
Prime Bookshelf Surround with Prime Elevation
Dual SVS SB2000
Yamaha RX-A3060 + Parasound Halo A31 + Emotiva A500
post #163 of 264 Old 03-06-2017, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Tan View Post
One of the best looking games, featuring one of the worst surround mixes in recent years...
Everything you say is absolutely true, and I completely agree, except that it doesn't bother me as much because of how good everything else is. For me it's kind of a niggling annoyance if I'm not paying attention to anything else going on. But if they get it fixed...really good sound always makes a huge difference that, paradoxically, you don't notice until you experience the not-as-good version.
post #164 of 264 Old 03-06-2017, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:

I've died in several battles. What I've been doing lately on beasts that are like 5-7 levels higher than me is I'll first put like 2/3 ropes of tripcaster up. Then I'll go lay down a few traps. I'll hide in the bushes and use the call feature from the talent tree. Once one comes over I'll do a silent strike, then hit it a few times. Then I'll run back in the direction of my traps and once it hits those, strike it more. After than, run back behind tripcaster line. Once the enemy hits that, I will usually be able to kill it. If not, I'll go run past the second tripcaster line.
DaverJ, Abaddon and lance466 like this.
post #165 of 264 Old 03-06-2017, 09:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Holy crap. I know I was annoyed at the slow camera movement when I started this game, but damn, going back to call of duty was like it was my first day ever playing. Spray and pray didn't have anything on me rofl
post #166 of 264 Old 03-07-2017, 04:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked: 530
I have about 15 hours in this so far. Everything is great but the camera can be too claustrophobic at times. Especially fighting the bigger robots. I don't know if this was intentional or not as it does make combat seem harder than it needs to be. Then again, I typically try to take the stealthy approach more often than not.

I also have the center channel dialogue issue, and mine typically always bleeds through the right channel. Something like this should be an easy patch, but off that no one caught during QA testing. However, I'm playing in DTS (no PCM option at the moment) and don't have any other surround issues to speak of. Sounds seem to be appropriately placed in each speaker when panning. Dialogue being louder in the surrounds is something that I've found in quite a few games. I guess I've learned to live with it.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
post #167 of 264 Old 03-12-2017, 06:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1117 Post(s)
Liked: 1218
I really enjoyed the game. Just beat it today. I honestly didn't die too much but I also roamed around and had everything half way through the game lol
It's looked amazing but like has been said, awful surround. I had a ton of fun. Lots of different ways to take down baddies.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #168 of 264 Old 03-13-2017, 06:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked: 637
I feel like I've played this game FOREVER and I'm only ~45% of the way through based on the stats page. (I'm quite enjoying it, so to be clear it's not at all dragging for me). I'm not sure how much time I've logged but I'll check out of curiosity. I'd also be curious to know what percentages/times others are experiencing...
post #169 of 264 Old 03-13-2017, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaddon View Post
I feel like I've played this game FOREVER and I'm only ~45% of the way through based on the stats page. (I'm quite enjoying it, so to be clear it's not at all dragging for me). I'm not sure how much time I've logged but I'll check out of curiosity. I'd also be curious to know what percentages/times others are experiencing...
I'll have to check mine on my lunch break. I'm taking my time with this game. I do all the side quests when I find them. I rotate between doing those for a bit then jumping back into the main story. I also travel around a lot picking up the collectibles. I do spend time just wondering around checking out the amazing scenery. I've taken so many screen shots. Overall, I think this game is pretty amazing.

EDIT: I'm only at 27% in the game. I'm at level 28 right now.

Last edited by boltsfan21; 03-13-2017 at 03:17 PM.
post #170 of 264 Old 03-13-2017, 06:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1176 Post(s)
Liked: 970
Quote:

36 hours and 61% in

One of the greatest posts I have read

benjamin-benjami - http://www.avsforum.com/forum/142-pl...l#post24609271
post #171 of 264 Old 03-14-2017, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltsfan21 View Post
I'm only at 27% in the game. I'm at level 28 right now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by emartins View Post
36 hours and 61% in
And I am at around 46%/36 hours/level 27. Looks like I fall somewhere between you two . I've never really seriously played a game of this scope before, so it's a pretty new experience for me to have so much stuff I can do after so long playing and still be less than halfway through the main story.
post #172 of 264 Old 03-14-2017, 08:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Is there an in-game way to see how many hours you've played, or are you guys estimating?

-
post #173 of 264 Old 03-14-2017, 10:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Is there an in-game way to see how many hours you've played, or are you guys estimating?
It's in the save file info when you save (not the auto save, the manual).
DaverJ and boltsfan21 like this.
post #174 of 264 Old 03-14-2017, 12:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1176 Post(s)
Liked: 970
I am in the high 30s for my level I believe. I want to say 38.

One of the greatest posts I have read

benjamin-benjami - http://www.avsforum.com/forum/142-pl...l#post24609271
post #175 of 264 Old 03-14-2017, 09:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm ~45% complete, level 32, and just under 40 hours in.

I have a feeling this game will be put aside because Mass Effect Andromeda Play First Trial is day(s) away. Which is a shame, because I'm starting to get the hang of things in Horizon!

-
post #176 of 264 Old 03-16-2017, 04:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Almost certainly the best looking game ever. 4k HDR at times is just stunning, just stunning. And it was such a fun blast to run around and explore and kill things. Wasn't as fine turned cut scene or acting wise as Last of Us but yea damn this game does soooo many things right. If this is the future of gaming, cheers to us all.
DaverJ likes this.

Marantz 7702MKII/Outlaw 7140 65" 4k Samsung KS8000
i7 4770K/16 gig 2133/970's SLI 840 PRO SSD
Paradigm Studio v3 100/570/20's/470's/2200 Sub
post #177 of 264 Old 03-16-2017, 07:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Not really realistic to compare cut scene quality with TLoU, the amount of content is vastly greater. I haven't played other similar games to compare (e.g. The Witcher, Skyrim, etc) but those would be more fair comparisons probably.

I will say that some of the more important NPC models for cut scenes are really fantastic.
DaverJ likes this.
post #178 of 264 Old 03-16-2017, 08:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I will say that some of the more important NPC models for cut scenes are really fantastic.
Especially noticeable in skin detail @ 4K. Every close-up shows off how much effort the devs put into the finer points.

-
post #179 of 264 Old 03-17-2017, 03:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 367
I finally got the game. Or rather my wife bought it when she went to put a pre-order down on Mass Effect Andromeda.

Game is fun, as expected and holy cow at the graphics. Pretty doesn't even begin to do it justice. I am going to be flopping back and forth between this game and the original Nier (so I can buy the sequel soon) and Trails of Cold Steel (almost done!) before diving into Mass Effect Andromeda, Persona 5 and Nier Automata. Too many games.
DaverJ likes this.

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
post #180 of 264 Old 03-17-2017, 03:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Why can't you compare cut scenes stupid not to, but anyway. Least they are polished more than this joke of cut scenes this is just unreal. Talk about lazy.

Marantz 7702MKII/Outlaw 7140 65" 4k Samsung KS8000
i7 4770K/16 gig 2133/970's SLI 840 PRO SSD
Paradigm Studio v3 100/570/20's/470's/2200 Sub
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply PlayStation Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page