What to do with an old fat 40gig PS3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Sean Spamilton
post #1 of 7 Unread Yesterday, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 37
What to do with an old fat 40gig PS3

I have an old fat 40 gig PS3 that I bought years ago to be my blu-ray player when it was touted to be one of the best out there for movie playback, in the beginning days of blu-rays. I am not a gamer. It has been replaced by my Oppo 93 and so the PS3 has been sitting in the closet for the past 4 years or so. Is there any reason to keep it for one reason or another or should I sell it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Unread Yesterday, 03:38 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1665 Post(s)
Liked: 1016
I would sell it. SInce you don't game with it and you have an Oppo there isn't much to use it for. And there are other devices that can be used for streaming apps that use a fraction of the power the fat PS3 does. So there would be no reason to keep the PS3 except for nostalgia.

53TB unRAID2--38TB unRAID3--33TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #3 of 7 Unread Yesterday, 05:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaji View Post
I have an old fat 40 gig PS3 that I bought years ago to be my blu-ray player when it was touted to be one of the best out there for movie playback, in the beginning days of blu-rays. I am not a gamer. It has been replaced by my Oppo 93 and so the PS3 has been sitting in the closet for the past 4 years or so. Is there any reason to keep it for one reason or another or should I sell it.
Find a children's hospital to donate it to.
Chairman7w likes this.
post #4 of 7 Unread Yesterday, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for the responses and it is as I thought. I was just wondering if there is some obscure uses for which it might come in handy for something as a processor of some kind or other.
post #5 of 7 Unread Yesterday, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 165
The 40GB version was great. Shame mine suffered like most due to years of excessive gaming and eventually suffered the yellow light of death upon power up. One day out of the blue.

Apparently the solder was changed becoming weaker. No mercury.
post #6 of 7 Unread Yesterday, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

My brothers had the light of death happen to his, which is why I now have his controller as well.
post #7 of 7 Unread Today, 06:05 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Wasn't that model one of the sacd-capable units? If so- and you haven't updated the firmware, it should be a candidate for jailbreaking, which allows it to be able to make digital copies of sacd's- a very desirable feature, enabling making backups of expensive sacd's as well as being able to use them on a server-based music system. That means it would be fetch a very nice price, wherever you decide to sell it.

I'd recommend either selling it here or somewhere like steve hoffman forums; you might get more money from ebay, but much more likely to end up in the hands of someone who would use it to pirate recordings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply PlayStation Area