AVS Forum banner

Fans of Japanese games

395 views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  frankthetoad 
#1 ·
Does no one on this site like Japanese developed games?

Sure, there are threads for the big boys.....Final Fantasy and Metal Gear. Bloodborne and Dark Souls seem to get a bit of love here but what about all the others?

There are a PLETHORA of Japanese games coming out for the PS4. Dozens and dozens of games were announced for the PS4 at the 2015 Tokyo Game Show, but other than Gravity Rush 1 remastered and Gravity Rush 2, pretty much NONE of those games announced are being discussed here. People are still clinging to this erroneous notion that the PS4 "has no games" when several exclusives are releasing the month of October.

Denkegi Bunko: Fighting Climax
Disgaea 5: Alliance of Vengeance
Onigiri
Saint Seiya: Soldier's Soul
Uncharted: Nathan Drake Collection
Dragon Quest Heroes
Tales of Zestiria

And that is in addition to 3rd party multiplat offerings like Witcher 3 expansion DLC Hearts of Stone and Metal Gear Online.

October has a pretty full line up on the PS4.......IF you count the Japanese games.

So do the gamers here only play the western stuff and Metal Gear Solid. Or is there a Japanese franchise that gets you hyped to play whenever a new entry is announced?

Both Dragon Quest Heroes and Tales of Zestiria are coming this month. There has to be some Dragon Quest and Tales of fans here. Two of Japans biggest RPG franchises not named Final Fantasy....

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
If it was a mainline Dragon Quest game, I'd be excited -- but like Hyrule Warriors on the Wii U, DQ Heroes is a Dynasty Warriors type hack'n slash action game... not my cup of tea, unfortunately.

I played the Tales of Vesperia demo on my 360 long ago, but it didn't pique my interest enough to actually buy the game. It's my only experience with that series.

Not too familiar with Disgaea either, but I tried the D5 demo the other day and liked it quite a bit. I have D3 on the Vita, but never bothered to download it. I'm going to clear out some space on my Vita now and give it a shot. If I enjoy it, I might pick up D5 -- but I hear these games are a huge time commitment.

I picked up FF Type 0 HD when it was released just for the FF XV demo. However, playing the demo has actually cooled me off on the game. I'm not sure if I like the Kingdom Hearts style of combat, but there is still a lot of time for improvement.

I'm not familiar with the other titles you have listed. But if Xenoblade Chronicles X (Wii U) gets good reviews, I'll be getting it this holiday season. For next year, I'm really looking forward to Gravity Rush 2, Attack on Titan, World of Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest: Builders (I've read that DQ Builders won't be localized, but hopefully that changes).

#5 ·
If it was a mainline Dragon Quest game, I'd be excited -- but like Hyrule Warriors on the Wii U, DQ Heroes is a Dynasty Warriors type hack'n slash action game... not my cup of tea, unfortunately.

I played the Tales of Vesperia demo on my 360 long ago, but it didn't pique my interest enough to actually buy the game. It's my only experience with that series.

Not too familiar with Disgaea either, but I tried the D5 demo the other day and liked it quite a bit. I have D3 on the Vita, but never bothered to download it. I'm going to clear out some space on my Vita now and give it a shot. If I enjoy it, I might pick up D5 -- but I hear these games are a huge time commitment.

I picked up FF Type 0 HD when it was released just for the FF FV demo. However, playing the demo has actually cooled me off on the game. I'm not sure if I like the Kingdom Hearts style of combat, but there is still a lot of time for improvement.

I'm not familiar with the other titles you have listed. But if Xenoblade Chroncles X (Wii U) gets good reviews, I'll be getting it this holiday season. For next year, I'm really looking forward to Gravity Rush 2, Attack on Titan, World of Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest: Builders (I've read that DQ Builders won't be localized, but hopefully that changes).

Dragon Quest Heroes is just a spin-off. Even though it is a Musou style game, the gameplay looks tighter than your typical Musou game to me. I would like to try a demo but it almost looks purchase worthy to me. And I'm not that big of a DQ fan. If you are a DQ fan, you'll be happy to know that Dragon Quest 11 will be coming. I don't know the year of release, but its supposed to be coming out on the N3DS and the PS4 (LOL really?) so the traditional turn-based DQ isn't gone the way of the do-do yet!

#3 ·
Agreed with Mikazaru on the Dragon Quest game. Why they felt the need to go from a turn based system to a hack and slash game is beyond me.

I hate how so many of these games are moving more into Action RPGs and old school turn based action is basically extinct. Just like our convo over in the PS4 thread about FFXV, I basically have zero interest in it because of this as combat means everything to me. This is why I got so excited when it was rumored that PS2 games were going to be playable on the PS4 with the new 3.00 firmware. Then I'd finally be able to replay two of my favorite, true turn based games, Grandia 3 and Shadow Hearts: Covenant.

If you know of any RPGs coming out for the PS4 that actually implement this type of combat, I'd be more than willing to check it out.

#4 ·
Agreed with Mikazaru on the Dragon Quest game. Why they felt the need to go from a turn based system to a hack and slash game is beyond me.

I hate how so many of these games are moving more into Action RPGs and old school turn based action is basically extinct. Just like our convo over in the PS4 thread about FFXV, I basically have zero interest in it because of this as combat means everything to me. This is why I got so excited when it was rumored that PS2 games were going to be playable on the PS4 with the new 3.00 firmware. Then I'd finally be able to replay two of my favorite, true turn based games, Grandia 3 and Shadow Hearts: Covenant.

If you know of any RPGs coming out for the PS4 that actually implement this type of combat, I'd be more than willing to check it out.

There are several PS3 games that fit this bill right now. Fairy Fencer F (getting re-mastered for the PS4 and getting the Directors Cut treatment as Fairy Fencer F: Dark Advent) and one coming out very soon is Trails of Cold Steel. Available for the PS3 and the Vita. Very classic style turn based combat but with more modern visuals.

There are fewer games of this type of the PS4. The Japanese were slower to begin development than western studios and thus why all those games are coming out 2016. It remains to be seen if turn-based is going to make a comeback next gen or not. Persona 5 is turn based. I would highly recommend looking into that game when it comes out if you like turn-based (you don't need to know the story of any of the other games to enjoy it)

#9 · (Edited)
Well you kind of covered my favorite games. For my tastes Bloodborne is one of the best games this generation

I am looking forward to excited for Dark Souls III next year. Souls games are my favorite JRPG games.
My favorite soccer game series is from Japan as well, Pro Evolution Soccer.

Personally I do not really care what country the developer is from. I bet I have more Japanese games but just don't know where they were made.

Does a site list what countries games are developed in?

I assumed the NES area a much higher percentage were from Japan.

#10 ·
I'm not a fan of the souls games. Never got into them. I might try Bloodborne when i'm in between games but right now i'm still finishing up several and going to buybTales of Zestiria soon.

I'm not sure if there is a site that breaks down which companies are Japanese or western, but usually you can find that info on the wikipedia page for each company in general, so you can look up your favorite developers and find out their country of origin.

Then of course the big boys have development studios both in Japan and the West. Sony, MS, Nintendo, Square Enix all have development studios in both territories. For example, while Square Enix is well known Japanese studio that makes Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest and other well known JRPGs, they also own Eidos/Crystal Dynamics, which makes western oriented games for them like Tomb Raider, Hit man and Deus Ex. So some companies cross over.

#12 ·
I was a big fan of Siren: Blood Curse, which was one of the first games I played on my PS3. Valkyria Chronicles was one of my favorite games ever, and I wish it had been more successful in North America. I played Yakuza 3 to the end, but didn't like the combat enough to try further installments. I enjoyed Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch a lot, but don't expect there'll be any sequels.

One game that a lot of folks might not realize was made by a Japanese studio is Puppeteer, which was eye-poppingly gorgeous. I don't know why that game wasn't more successful.

I also have a Vita, but I don't play it much when I'm not traveling. I finished Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward, but didn't love it the way its fans do; I don't know if visual novels are my cup of tea. I've got to get back to Persona 4 Golden once I'm done with MGS 5. After that I hope to try Freedom Wars and Soul Sacrifice Delta.

#14 ·
I tried a Persona game on Vita but my RPG days are waning. Didn't play it very long. Don't know what it is but I'm not into grindy ploddy games. It can be grindy or ploddy but not both lol.

I think Shadows of the Damned was Japanese. Sure was out there like one. The kid RPG cartoon thing. Can't remember the name but it was really cool, at least what I played anyway.

Most Japanese games fly right under my radar...

#17 ·
I loved the Ninja Gaiden 1 & 2 games until the key guy left the company (Itagaki). the last installment really sucked as a result. But NG2 is a classic IMO. I also loved Nier. And I sure hope they change their minds and release Nier 2 for PC in addition to the consoles. No need not to since the Windows 10 launch. If they don't it's a no go for me. Since I don't want to play it on a console in my living room.

#20 ·
I'm deep into Persona 4 Golden right now. Man it's a long game; I've been playing daily for the last month and a half, and I thought I was getting near the end since I've reached December on the in-game calendar, but I just realized the game continues all the way to March.

As for Persona 5, I think I'll wait until a good amount of collective wisdom about the game has been posted online. I don't think I'd enjoy playing one of these games without that.

#21 ·
I started becoming a fan of eastern media in 90-94 when I lived in Taiwan. Back in the States, I never got the PS1 or PS2 (only ever had Nintendo consoles until the PS3 came out) so I missed out on some things.

I play the Tales games, Persona...very excited about Persona 5, and have tried countless others. Some I enjoy, others not so much.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.