Did I just make a mistake? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 47Likes
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2015, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sage11x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Brighton, MI
Posts: 3,184
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 726 Post(s)
Liked: 807
Did I just make a mistake?

So I'm not expecting the most unbiased responses in the Playstation forum but I'm hoping a few of you might have some insight-- perhaps those with both systems.


I just bought two xbox ones. Yes two of them. My girlfirend and I don't like split screen and (more to the point) we wouldn't be able to play halo 5 with one xbox anyways as the developers are a bunch of ass-hats. Or maybe I'm the ass-hat for falling prey to buying two friggin' xboxes and two discs to play ONE game. In either case, I got a fairly good deal if you can call it that: $300 bucks for a 500gb with 4 games I already played on 360 (gears), AC unity and a $60 gift card that I'll use for the new halo (all of this x2 obviously).


So here's my question: am I dumb? Like, dumber than most? I really didn't want to buy either the xbox one or the ps4 on account that their best games are still ports of games I already own on 360 and ps3. Halo 5 is really the first game that piqued our interest on either system as my GF in particular loves to pwn teh noobs and I like to play co-op and pretend I'm better than awful (I'm truly terrible at halo). Last generation our 360s got a LOT more play as the 360 was clearly the superior social gaming platform and my single PS3 pretty much gathered dust between Uncharted and God of War sequels (in Sony's defense the PS3 is probably the worst playstation which is really not much of a knock considering how amazing the PS1 and PS2 were). It was natural for us to look to Microsoft for our next generation fix but now I'm reading that the One is a bloated, power hungry boat anchor compared to the PS4 and costs as much despite being less sophisticated graphically and being outsold at a clip of two to one-- this last part in particular concerns me as sales tend to determine exclusives and while Xbox has halo and Gears, Sony is getting uncharted and a game where a pre-historic babe shoots robotic dinosaurs with a bow and arrow.


So what is it? Am I dumb for buying into Xbox? Should I abandon ship as the rest of the world seems to be doing? Has Sony finally figured out their online? Is the controller no longer ass as it's been since 95? I need advice.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
sage11x is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-04-2015, 01:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
TedSeattle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,162
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Don't fall prey to buyer's remorse. Halo 5 is the game you're interested in, and for that you need an XBox. The multi-platform titles will look perfectly good on an XBox; you'll never notice any deficiencies unless you watch a Digital Foundry comparison video. You've bought a great piece of hardware; relax and enjoy it.
hockeynut, DaverJ, gregleg and 9 others like this.
TedSeattle is offline  
Old 12-04-2015, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
DaverJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 8,507
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked: 3349
Both Xbox One and PS4 are great choices - pick one and enjoy. Or both and enjoy more!

btw, I have both consoles and these days mostly play the XB1 exclusively. The Elite controller is the best gamepad I've used, and the MS console is much quieter than my PS4 (YMMV). As for the Xbox One being "less sophisticated graphically", I personally think this fact is being way oversold. I've played identical games on both systems, and I have to look very hard to see any differences. In fact, specs aside, I actually think on occasion some things look better on XB1 - OTOH many games load faster on PS4.

It sounds like you picked your poison. Relax and enjoy!
sage11x, Chairman7w and Bigfame like this.

"My advice: don't spend money on therapy. Spend it in a record store." – Wim Wenders
DaverJ is online now  
Old 12-04-2015, 01:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
icelt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,382
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Although I'd never personally purchase a XBOne there are millions of gamers who truly enjoy theirs and if Halo is your and the SO's thing, then that should pretty well solidify the decision.

Is the PS4 measurably more powerful than the One? Yes. But that is a highly qualitative yes. Are 10 pennies more than 9 pennies, well yes indeed. Are you going to sweat having only 9 pennies in your pocket instead of 10? Many do not.

Lastly you will miss out on PS4 exclusives, but that applies to every single platform gamer.

All things considered it does sound like you made the best decision for your gaming wishes/needs. Now all you have to do is sit back, relax and enjoy your new HD gaming experiences!
icelt is offline  
Old 12-04-2015, 02:56 PM
Advanced Member
 
kamouflage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mesquite, TX
Posts: 524
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 85
I have both and they're both great systems to me. Wouldn't worry about which looks better as they both look good and have fun games to play.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DaverJ and sage11x like this.

PSN ID: javant86
Xbox Live: PikturePerfekt
kamouflage is offline  
Old 12-04-2015, 04:10 PM
Member
 
NosferatuOMeGa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 5
I'm in the PS4 camp, but see myself picking up a Xbox one in the near future.
So, two xbox ones, dumb? Not quite.
But, I AM interested in what your dual console setup looks like. 2 TVs in the same room? Side by side? Back to back?
sage11x likes this.
NosferatuOMeGa is offline  
Old 12-04-2015, 04:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lordxar5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 6,276
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked: 929
Eh...keep the girlfriend happy. If she wants the xbone, heh, give it to her.
lordxar5 is offline  
Old 12-04-2015, 04:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Chairman7w's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 2,166
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordxar5 View Post
Eh...keep the girlfriend happy. If she wants the xbone, heh, give it to her.
sage11x likes this.

"Where's the Imp???" "SHUTUP!!"

 

 

Chairman7w is offline  
Old 12-05-2015, 04:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Big Brad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Brandon, FL
Posts: 2,221
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 415
If you have a need for two XBOX Ones, then by all means go for it. Just enjoy it. Don't fall into the buyers remorse category.

If you aren't opposed to going digital for select games (like Halo 5), you can negate the need for 2 copies of a game by purchasing digitally. Essentially you setup the same main account on both systems, then set your girlfriends system to be the master console (using your login, of course). Once something is downloaded, she can login to her XBOX Live account and play anything on that console that was purchased digitally under your MAIN account. Meanwhile, login to your console and download the game there. You guys will now be able to play online together, at the same time, and you only spent $60 for the game.

Someone else can chime in, but I think you may only need one XBOX Live subscription as well (no need to purchase a separate one for the girlfriend). I may be wrong on that one, but I recall reading that somewhere.
DaverJ, sage11x and kenoh89 like this.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
My SD/HD movie collection
Big Brad is offline  
Old 12-05-2015, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member
 
s1njin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Jersey
Posts: 1,264
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Don't get tied up in the console spec deal. You need a Xbox to play Halo. So that's it, if you want Halo you did what you have to do.

I just grabbed a Xbox for the new Tomb Raider, Halo, and Gears. Can't play that on my PS4. And in the future if something works/looks better on the Xbox, that's the console I'll buy it on.
DaverJ and sage11x like this.

Gaming hard from October thru April.
s1njin is online now  
Old 12-05-2015, 06:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lodolfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 1,317
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brad View Post
Someone else can chime in, but I think you may only need one XBOX Live subscription as well (no need to purchase a separate one for the girlfriend). I may be wrong on that one, but I recall reading that somewhere.

Brad is absolutely correct.

All digital game purchases, including subscriptions such as EA Access and XBOX Live, are shareable using the method you described. It works the same way whether you own a PSN Subscription with a PS4 or XBL with an XB1.

I know because my I have two sets of each console at home and this is how I share all my subscriptions and games with my teen.
sage11x likes this.

PSN:Lodolfan16
XBL: Lodolfan16

LordXarsNexus to Shmoopy- "We're not playing Soccer, we're playing Rocket League!"
lodolfan is online now  
Old 12-05-2015, 07:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
defdog99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,253
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I bought 2 RockBand 3 Pro Squier Guitars in hopes of playing 2-player.
defdog99 is offline  
Old 12-05-2015, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sage11x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Brighton, MI
Posts: 3,184
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 726 Post(s)
Liked: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brad View Post
If you have a need for two XBOX Ones, then by all means go for it. Just enjoy it. Don't fall into the buyers remorse category.

If you aren't opposed to going digital for select games (like Halo 5), you can negate the need for 2 copies of a game by purchasing digitally. Essentially you setup the same main account on both systems, then set your girlfriends system to be the master console (using your login, of course). Once something is downloaded, she can login to her XBOX Live account and play anything on that console that was purchased digitally under your MAIN account. Meanwhile, login to your console and download the game there. You guys will now be able to play online together, at the same time, and you only spent $60 for the game.

Someone else can chime in, but I think you may only need one XBOX Live subscription as well (no need to purchase a separate one for the girlfriend). I may be wrong on that one, but I recall reading that somewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lodolfan View Post
Brad is absolutely correct.

All digital game purchases, including subscriptions such as EA Access and XBOX Live, are shareable using the method you described. It works the same way whether you own a PSN Subscription with a PS4 or XBL with an XB1.

I know because my I have two sets of each console at home and this is how I share all my subscriptions and games with my teen.
That is fantastic advice! We have two physical discs for halo 5 but you're saying that if I purchase digitally I can share the game as long as my Live profile is setup on each? This would save me a ton of money as we're also interested in Destiny. Heck, I could have ordered two seperate bundles as the Gears collection is a digital download. I'm going to have to dig into this more. We haven't even opened the boxes yet as I've been painting and recovering from the cold I caught in NY last week.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
sage11x is offline  
Old 12-05-2015, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Epyon415's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,006
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked: 393
I own both, play my PS4 primarily and X1 for it's specific exclusives. I would suggest (if you can), get both and pick one to be your primary and use the other for it's exclusives. Sadly from what I am seeing PS4 is getting a lot more exclusive (if console timed) in 2016 than X1.

Personally I don't see the performance difference in games, but I dont care. I love to play games and that is why i have both. If you and your gf are happy with both X1s then by all means keep them and as suggested once you can afford it, snag a PS4 and enjoy those games as well!

Side note: I think Phil Spencer will get Xbox to a good spot, he has a sort of genuine honesty that I think will keep the platform relevant and see an evolution in the types of games it has.
DaverJ likes this.

PSN & XBL: Epyon415
Twitch.tv: http://www.twitch.tv/epyon415
Twitter: @roguengames
YouTube Gameplay Videos

I am the greatest MGO player eva!! - http://www.twitch.tv/epyon415/v/24236420
Epyon415 is offline  
Old 12-05-2015, 01:01 PM
Member
 
bermise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 117
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
So I'm not expecting the most unbiased responses in the Playstation forum but I'm hoping a few of you might have some insight-- perhaps those with both systems.


I just bought two xbox ones. Yes two of them. My girlfirend and I don't like split screen and (more to the point) we wouldn't be able to play halo 5 with one xbox anyways as the developers are a bunch of ass-hats. Or maybe I'm the ass-hat for falling prey to buying two friggin' xboxes and two discs to play ONE game. In either case, I got a fairly good deal if you can call it that: $300 bucks for a 500gb with 4 games I already played on 360 (gears), AC unity and a $60 gift card that I'll use for the new halo (all of this x2 obviously).


So here's my question: am I dumb? Like, dumber than most? I really didn't want to buy either the xbox one or the ps4 on account that their best games are still ports of games I already own on 360 and ps3. Halo 5 is really the first game that piqued our interest on either system as my GF in particular loves to pwn teh noobs and I like to play co-op and pretend I'm better than awful (I'm truly terrible at halo). Last generation our 360s got a LOT more play as the 360 was clearly the superior social gaming platform and my single PS3 pretty much gathered dust between Uncharted and God of War sequels (in Sony's defense the PS3 is probably the worst playstation which is really not much of a knock considering how amazing the PS1 and PS2 were). It was natural for us to look to Microsoft for our next generation fix but now I'm reading that the One is a bloated, power hungry boat anchor compared to the PS4 and costs as much despite being less sophisticated graphically and being outsold at a clip of two to one-- this last part in particular concerns me as sales tend to determine exclusives and while Xbox has halo and Gears, Sony is getting uncharted and a game where a pre-historic babe shoots robotic dinosaurs with a bow and arrow.


So what is it? Am I dumb for buying into Xbox? Should I abandon ship as the rest of the world seems to be doing? Has Sony finally figured out their online? Is the controller no longer ass as it's been since 95? I need advice.
I sold my xbox one to a friend in preference of my PS4. That friend did the same shortly after. I don't know if you notice but Xbox one controller is very uncomfortable if you have big hands or long fingers. I couldn't get used to it. I researched online and one of the biggest xbox360 complaints was with kids having trouble with the controller. That is why it is redesigned so much on the next gen model. Try out both first to see which you prefer. They are both great consoles, the main difference is the demographics that use it.
bermise is offline  
Old 12-05-2015, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
DaverJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 8,507
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked: 3349
Quote:
Originally Posted by bermise View Post
I don't know if you notice but Xbox one controller is very uncomfortable if you have big hands or long fingers. I couldn't get used to it. I researched online and one of the biggest xbox360 complaints was with kids having trouble with the controller. That is why it is redesigned so much on the next gen model.
Interesting - I'm 6' 2" with moderately large hands, and the PS4 DS4 controller feels more like a "little hands" controller to me than the XB1 controller.

"My advice: don't spend money on therapy. Spend it in a record store." – Wim Wenders
DaverJ is online now  
Old 12-05-2015, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
s1njin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Jersey
Posts: 1,264
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 118
I have small hands, and the Xbox One controller feels better to me. Not that I have a problem w/ my PS4's controller at all, its just the Xbox One controller just feels more 'right' to me. FWIW.

Gaming hard from October thru April.
s1njin is online now  
Old 12-05-2015, 06:26 PM
Member
 
bermise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 117
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post
Interesting - I'm 6' 2" with moderately large hands, and the PS4 DS4 controller feels more like a "little hands" controller to me than the XB1 controller.
Well I may be a black sheep on this topic. I am 6"6 and wear XL in most gloves. So it may just be me. My fingers are too long to get comfortable on the XB1 controller
bermise is offline  
Old 12-06-2015, 12:56 PM
Senior Member
 
Bigfame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: San Bernardino, CA
Posts: 279
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 28
No Dude you are fine. I have 2 XBOX One's in my house (Master Bedroom and Kids room) and a PS4 (Master Bedroom) and I play the XBOX One way more than the PS4. Just finished Halo5 & Tomb Raider:RoTR (both fantastic games). I also have an Elite Controller and man that is an Amazing controller. The Xbox One in my bedroom also has Kinect. The kids love their Xbox One. I bought my PS4 on launch and I have a lil buyers remorse with it. Really looking forward to Uncharted 4 and Ratchet & Clank.

I play 3rd party games on my Gaming PC. I use consoles for 1st party games.
DaverJ likes this.

Those Who Attempt To Destroy Me, Shall Be Obliterated!!

Megatron
Bigfame is offline  
Old 12-06-2015, 07:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
N8DOGG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 7,016
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 922 Post(s)
Liked: 984
I've got 2 Xbox 1's and 4 x ps4's. I have multiple rooms that have big TV's and like to have access to whatever I want on all of them. I just don't play the box very much, one hasn't been turned on in over 6 months, the other I turned on yesterday to order the new tomb raider game (pretty fun so far) but the main reason I use the ps4 more if because I like the controller better.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

N8DOGG is offline  
Old 12-07-2015, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member
 
boltsfan21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: California
Posts: 574
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 50
When it comes down to selecting a console, you really can't go wrong either way. For me personally, I prefer the PS4. I actually returned my Xbox One. I like the PS4 controller way better than the Xbox controller. I also think the PS4 has better exclusive titles. The Uncharted series, Last of Us, etc. The PS4 is noticeably more powerful. The graphics are better on the PS4, but most probably can't tell the difference between the two consoles. I think the most noticeable difference are the frame rate drops. From games I've compared on both systems, you can see the PS4 runs more smoothly. If you are into the Halo franchise, then you made the right choice. Even though the PS4 is destroying the Xbox One in sales, it's not like there is a shortage of people playing on the Xbox One. At the end of the day, I think you have to chose the console based on what exclusives interest you the most. You can always get a PS4 at some point. I wouldn't even worry about the decision you made. You will enjoy the Xbox One.
boltsfan21 is offline  
Old 12-07-2015, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
s1njin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Jersey
Posts: 1,264
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltsfan21 View Post
The PS4 is noticeably more powerful. The graphics are better on the PS4, but most probably can't tell the difference between the two consoles. I think the most noticeable difference are the frame rate drops. From games I've compared on both systems, you can see the PS4 runs more smoothly.
This is almost contradictory, especially if somebody is reading this but not really steeped in the differences between the two consoles.

I would volunteer the following:

Unless you're looking at a side by side run at identical game segments, with identical networking parameters, you PROBABLY won't notice much of any difference at all. Yes, there are some there but unless pointed out you wouldn't know about it. Also, even the networking part is real tough as Xbox Live and PSN are very different beasts.

Speaking of network, I do prefer LIVE over PSN any day. You can get subs cheaper, they are not offline nearly as much (or for as long), and to date they haven't been hacked (that I'm aware of).

Gaming hard from October thru April.
s1njin is online now  
Old 12-07-2015, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member
 
boltsfan21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: California
Posts: 574
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1njin View Post
This is almost contradictory, especially if somebody is reading this but not really steeped in the differences between the two consoles.

I would volunteer the following:

Unless you're looking at a side by side run at identical game segments, with identical networking parameters, you PROBABLY won't notice much of any difference at all. Yes, there are some there but unless pointed out you wouldn't know about it. Also, even the networking part is real tough as Xbox Live and PSN are very different beasts.

Speaking of network, I do prefer LIVE over PSN any day. You can get subs cheaper, they are not offline nearly as much (or for as long), and to date they haven't been hacked (that I'm aware of).
It's not really contradictory. Bottom line, graphics are better. I was just making the point that most people probably won't notice the difference if you aren't looking. For me personally, it's not hard to see the difference. One good example is GTA V. The graphics are noticeably better on the PS4 version. You don't need to run both consoles side by side to see the difference. There is a lot more detail in the game on the PS4 version. With that said, not all ports are created equal. Some you probably won't even notice much of a difference.

Xbox Live has been hacked multiple times. Which subs are cheaper (just curious)?
boltsfan21 is offline  
Old 12-07-2015, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member
 
s1njin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Jersey
Posts: 1,264
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltsfan21 View Post
It's not really contradictory. Bottom line, graphics are better. I was just making the point that most people probably won't notice the difference if you aren't looking. For me personally, it's not hard to see the difference. One good example is GTA V. The graphics are noticeably better on the PS4 version. You don't need to run both consoles side by side to see the difference. There is a lot more detail in the game on the PS4 version. With that said, not all ports are created equal. Some you probably won't even notice much of a difference.

Xbox Live has been hacked multiple times. Which subs are cheaper (just curious)?
You can get Live cards on sale for 35 or so fairly routinely if you look.

Wasn't aware Live got hacked to the point that user data was lost. I know they've been taken down, but not hacked. Irregardless, that's why I always extend my sub via code, and not a credit card.

Gaming hard from October thru April.

Last edited by s1njin; 12-07-2015 at 01:03 PM.
s1njin is online now  
Old 12-07-2015, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member
 
boltsfan21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: California
Posts: 574
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1njin View Post
You can get Live cards on sale for 35 or so fairly routinely if you look.

Wasn't aware Live got hacked to the point that user data was lost. I know they've been taken down, but not hacked. Irregardless, that's why I always extend my sub via code, and not a credit card.
Got it. I have seen PSN cards cheaper on ebay occasionally. I used to get the Live cards for my 360 on Amazon for cheap.

Live had a data breach back in 2013 I believe. There was a data breach in 2014 as well. The 2014 incident, both PSN and Live accounts had their passwords published online. Bottom line, I really don't trust either company with my personal data. The unfortunate reality we live in these days.
boltsfan21 is offline  
Old 12-15-2015, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sage11x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Brighton, MI
Posts: 3,184
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 726 Post(s)
Liked: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by NosferatuOMeGa View Post
I'm in the PS4 camp, but see myself picking up a Xbox one in the near future.
So, two xbox ones, dumb? Not quite.
But, I AM interested in what your dual console setup looks like. 2 TVs in the same room? Side by side? Back to back?
If you want to get technical we have three TVs in one 'room'.


Two of the TVs are next to each other on one wall and the other is in the opposite corner and is used exclusively for movies/TV. Chairs in front of the gaming TVs and love seat and lounge chair in front of the movie TV. It's a small space but the arrangement works and gets all the electronics (besides computer) in one area which was the goal as the space where the games were is now being used as an office/small project area. My room is super limited so I have to make the most of what available space I have.


I was on vacation last week but maybe I'll post a pic this week if I get a chance.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
sage11x is offline  
Old 12-15-2015, 11:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
totalownership's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 2,622
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltsfan21 View Post
Got it. I have seen PSN cards cheaper on ebay occasionally. I used to get the Live cards for my 360 on Amazon for cheap.

Live had a data breach back in 2013 I believe. There was a data breach in 2014 as well. The 2014 incident, both PSN and Live accounts had their passwords published online. Bottom line, I really don't trust either company with my personal data. The unfortunate reality we live in these days.
Really, that's news to me. I know there were denial of service attacks on both but as far as Live being hacked itself never heard of it.

AT HAMMOND ROBOTICS WE'RE BRINGING THE FUTURE ... HOME
PROTOCOL 3: PROTECT THE PILOT
totalownership is offline  
Old 12-15-2015, 11:58 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 62
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Comparing the PS4 vs XBONE in graphics is kind of pointless, considering any competent gaming PC will outperform both of them by leaps and bounds.

the only reason to choose one over the other is what exclusives you prefer. and there aren't many of those in this day and age. if they are, the majority are timed exclusives (see the new Tomb Raider for example)

The Uncharted series and The Last of Us are some of my favorite games of all time, so picking up the PS4 was a no-brainer for me. While I do own the original Xbox (Panzer Dragoon Orta anyone) and a 360.... Gears of War and Halo while being enjoyable series I've played through aren't high on my priority list. Halo 5 simply isn't enough for me to want a Xbone. Now if sega for example, decided to wake up and release Xbox exclusive titles of the same caliber they were doing in 2002-2005... I'd pick up Microsoft's new console in a heartbeat.
2WheelsWillTravel is offline  
Old 12-15-2015, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
s1njin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Jersey
Posts: 1,264
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Halo MCC (I only played Halo 1 and Reach), and all 4 GOW games (I only played the .... 3rd?) was enough for me to jones for the console. Getting Tomb Raider was what pushed me over (I didn't want to wait the extra year).

Now I can get whatever game I want, be it exclusive to one or just better for one reason or another.

A dollar doesn't but you squat anymore; gaming is a relatively cheap hobby nowadays (I think). Heck, these systems cost less than a really good video card.

Gaming hard from October thru April.
s1njin is online now  
Old 12-15-2015, 01:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
totalownership's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 2,622
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2WheelsWillTravel View Post
Comparing the PS4 vs XBONE in graphics is kind of pointless, considering any competent gaming PC will outperform both of them by leaps and bounds.
That's my point of view also. Just picked up a PS4 for Black Friday. The timing was good for many reasons. My Xbox crowd of friends have since splintered from Destiny as other games have came out and other guys seem to have differing work schedules now and that all landed right around when the PS4 went on sale. Got that and Rainbow and pCars. Neither had me go "WOW the visuals here are insane". Played the Destiny demo and I really saw no difference but a few effects here and there under specific circumstances. Now that may be because my PC will blow both my consoles out the water when it comes to graphics. I have another group of friends who are on PS4 (actually they have both also) but a few are championing playing on PS4 so I'll roll there for a while.

I'll probably be saving the PS4 for exclusives and what the majority of my friends decide to play the multi's on. Thing is my PS4 friends time schedule at the moment isn't really as conducive to playing as my Xbox friends. Also last night was a perfect example of why I'd rather play on Xbox than on my PS4. Watching the Giants game and my PS4 friends were on playing Rainbow. Had we been on Xbox I would have played with them while having SlingTV snapped but I had to wait for the game is over then go play with them in which we only got a few matches in.

The Division is coming next year and as it stands I'm leaning 75% Xbox and 25% PS4 with a strong possible of double dip for PC.

I do still love that the PS4 uses my peripherals from last gen. My Fanatec wheel and pedals and PX21 headsets. That's a great thing.

AT HAMMOND ROBOTICS WE'RE BRINGING THE FUTURE ... HOME
PROTOCOL 3: PROTECT THE PILOT
totalownership is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
 
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off