PS4K will also sport a 4K Blu-ray player - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 27Likes

post #1 of 67 Old 06-11-2016, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 177
PS4K will also sport a 4K Blu-ray player

Quote:
With these upgraded specs, the PlayStation 4 Neo (aka PS4K) will open the doors for enhanced PlayStation VR experiences, allowing devs to leverage more horsepower for low-latency, high-immersion gaming. The PS4K will also sport a 4K Blu-ray player, effectively doing for UHD what the PS3 did for Blu-ray.

Read more: http://www.tweaktown.com/news/52500/...ole/index.html
I purchased the PS3 back in the day since it was the lowest cost Blu-ray player so I will get this for the 4K Blu-ray player.
aaronwt likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 67 Old 06-11-2016, 07:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 72
So this will play the new 4K UltraHD discs? I'll sell my Sammy 8500 4K player & PS4 for this! I'm also interested in 4K streaming from MGO, Amazon & Netflix.
post #3 of 67 Old 06-11-2016, 07:54 PM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 83
That is good news! I am waiting to see what Oppo brings to the table for UHD and compare it to the PS4K price-wise.
post #4 of 67 Old 06-14-2016, 10:15 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 4117 Post(s)
Liked: 2463
I guess I might possibly use the new PS4 for UHD BD playback instead of waiting for a Sony stand alone UHD BD player to replace my Samsung. But only if Sony has increased the usability of BD playback. With 2k BD titles the 2013 model PS4 is the last device I would want to use to play Blu-ray Discs with.

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
Sony 65x850C--Samsung UBD-K8500--Sony HT-NT3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #5 of 67 Old 06-15-2016, 05:31 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 14
This is interesting if true. I've been trying to find some confirmation news from Sony that the new PS4 will have a UHD blu ray player built into it or not. If it does I wonder will it support HDR or not, Sony needs to since it will be behind on what the Xbox One S will be able to do at this point.

Last edited by waitsone; 06-15-2016 at 05:37 AM.
post #6 of 67 Old 06-15-2016, 05:42 AM
JBL Pro Cinema Advocate

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1611 Post(s)
Liked: 1693
I am much looking forward to October. Only time will tell if the Sony will have a native UHD player or if it is just 4k capable like the Roku 4 - I would assume it will have a player. Microsoft Xbox One S has confirmed the player but has never supported native bitstreaming to support Atmos and DTS:X - I assume it will this round. Two big unknowns with only assumptions that prevent any pre-orders for me.
post #7 of 67 Old 06-15-2016, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked: 765
+1. If MS clear things up, like native bitstream support, I would consider pre order again. As for now I'm looking forward for PS4.5 which I'm pretty sure will offer native bitstream support.

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio
Media Room: Polk LSiM705s, LSiM706C, LSiM703s | Rythmik F12SE (x2) | Marantz SR7008 | Parasound Halo P5 | Emotiva XPA-3 & XPA-200 | Oppo 105D | Sony HW40ES |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Duet | 27" iMac|
Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz NR1606 | Emotiva XPA-200 Gen 2 | Samsung UN50JU6500 |
post #8 of 67 Old 06-15-2016, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
I'd like to point out that there is no official source for that information. Everything about the "PS4K" is purely rumor at this point other than the fact that it exists.

In fact according to the leaked specs there is no sign of a UHD Blu-ray drive.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/di...k-neo-revealed
http://www.ign.com/wikis/xbox-one/Xb...mparison_Chart
waitsone, Dabois09 and Mud76 like this.
post #9 of 67 Old 06-15-2016, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked: 634
The new PS4 will be a'' high-end'' PS4, it will target hardcore gamers as well as consumers with a 4K television set looking for more high resolution content according sony. So no name yet and it will highly likely have a 4K Blu-ray drive..
post #10 of 67 Old 06-15-2016, 07:45 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by waitsone View Post
This is interesting if true. I've been trying to find some confirmation news from Sony that the new PS4 will have a UHD blu ray player built into it or not. If it does I wonder will it support HDR or not, Sony needs to since it will be behind on what the Xbox One S will be able to do at this point.
If it plays UHD BDs then it has to support HDR10 since that is a requirement in the UHD BD spec.

post #11 of 67 Old 06-15-2016, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
If it plays UHD BDs then it has to support HDR10 since that is a requirement in the UHD BD spec.
You are correct, that is true. I forgot about that.
post #12 of 67 Old 06-15-2016, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 253
I never doubted that it would have one. Sony being a major investor in the BDA and UHDBD has every reason to produce a UHD PS4 with 4k blu ray inside.

It would be idiotic of them to make a 4k capable box without one.

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
post #13 of 67 Old 06-23-2016, 08:37 AM

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Big reason why Sony hasn't come out with a stand-alone UHD Player as of yet, it'll all be up to Neo.

Best,

Main Living Room: Samsung 65 KS9800
Other Living Room: Panasonic Plasma 55
Audio: Onkyo HT-S6300 7.1

In Need of a new Subwoofer 160W+
post #14 of 67 Old 06-25-2016, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Wont be anytime soon if it does... kind of see a new console roll out faster then years past...
post #15 of 67 Old 06-28-2016, 09:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by profit_child View Post
Wont be anytime soon if it does... kind of see a new console roll out faster then years past...

Its rumored to come out at the end of this year. its not a full Next-gen console, just a mid-cycle upgrade to include 4k streaming and UHDBD and possibly 4k upscaling for games. (I doubt it will run games 4k native, but maybe)

post #16 of 67 Old 06-30-2016, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked: 765
Looks like PS Neo will take some time to come out. Meanwhile Sony is ready to announce the PS4 Slim during the Tokyo Game Show!!

http://www.psu.com/News/30484/PS4-Sl...n-Neo---report
aaronwt and DaverJ like this.

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio
Media Room: Polk LSiM705s, LSiM706C, LSiM703s | Rythmik F12SE (x2) | Marantz SR7008 | Parasound Halo P5 | Emotiva XPA-3 & XPA-200 | Oppo 105D | Sony HW40ES |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Duet | 27" iMac|
Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz NR1606 | Emotiva XPA-200 Gen 2 | Samsung UN50JU6500 |
post #17 of 67 Old 06-30-2016, 12:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
Looks like PS Neo will take some time to come out. Meanwhile Sony is ready to announce the PS4 Slim during the Tokyo Game Show!!

http://www.psu.com/News/30484/PS4-Sl...n-Neo---report
I'm surprised they went there since the PS4 is already rather slim. It's still slimmer than the XBOne Slim will be.

post #18 of 67 Old 07-03-2016, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I'm surprised they went there since the PS4 is already rather slim. It's still slimmer than the XBOne Slim will be.

I suspect this is a quickie re-design to combat the XboneS since it has proven rather popular after E3 ended. Apparently, Amazon is sold out of them. At least temporarily.

And with the X-Slim having a 4k Blu player and capable of 4k streaming and HDR and now according to news today, can upscale games to 4k, Sony is probably scrambling to match MS sooner rather than later and lose the UHD Blu Ray advantage. Remember that Sony dominated both DVD and Blu Ray in the beginning of their lifecycles specifically because they sold the first consoles that included the tech. I'm sure they don't want to give the competition that advantage.

post #19 of 67 Old 07-05-2016, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked: 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuSoardGraphite View Post
I suspect this is a quickie re-design to combat the XboneS since it has proven rather popular after E3 ended. Apparently, Amazon is sold out of them. At least temporarily.

And with the X-Slim having a 4k Blu player and capable of 4k streaming and HDR and now according to news today, can upscale games to 4k, Sony is probably scrambling to match MS sooner rather than later and lose the UHD Blu Ray advantage. Remember that Sony dominated both DVD and Blu Ray in the beginning of their lifecycles specifically because they sold the first consoles that included the tech. I'm sure they don't want to give the competition that advantage.
You can't just scramble and change this part out and that. Whatever they decided on is what they are getting. By your definition It would be starting from scratch and a delay if Neo is supposedly coming this year.

And consoles are going to be irrelevant to the growth of UHD. BR didn't surpass DVD and now streaming is more common option to most consumers than disc today. UHD isn't going to all of a sudden get people to go back to buying disc in mass.

The 5.0 is here

Last edited by mboojigga; 07-05-2016 at 07:32 PM.
post #20 of 67 Old 07-05-2016, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post
You can't just scramble and change this part out and that. Whatever they decided on is what they are getting. By your definition It would be starting from scratch and a delay if Neo is supposedly coming this year.
It wouldnt be with the Neo. It would be with a PS4 slim. Not upgraded specs so much as integration of UHD blu ray and HDR to achieve parity with the xbox one S.

Quote:
And consoles are going to be irrelevant to the growth of UHD. BR didn't surpass DVD and now streaming is more common option to most consumers than disc today. UHD isn't going to all of a sudden get people to go back to buying disc in mass.
Not necessarily. The PS3 was instrumental in pushing Blu Ray into consumers homes. If the PS3 hadnt put millions of players in homes rather quickly, it wouldnt have been adopted as widely as it was. And while it didnt match the ridiculous adoption rate of DVD, it did well, especially in light of the extremely convenient competition of streaming, which DVD didnt have to contend with. If streaming wasnt a think, I would wager that Blu Ray adoption would be approaching that of DVD.

No, UHD isnt going to be getting people to go back to discs. But what it will do is allow UHD blu ray to sell more than it would without the push from current gen consoles. With potentially 10s of millions of UHD blu players in homes over the next couple of years, a percentage of those homes WILL buy the occasional 4k disc, something they wouldnt do if their consoles werent 4k blu. I'm sure the blu disc association is pushing for both Sony and MS to put UHD players in their consoles sooner rather than later for this very reason.
post #21 of 67 Old 07-06-2016, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked: 634
UHD blu-ray will take over the 3D blu-ray market...at best.
post #22 of 67 Old 07-06-2016, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It wouldnt be with the Neo. It would be with a PS4 slim. Not upgraded specs so much as integration of UHD blu ray and HDR to achieve parity with the xbox one S.

Not necessarily. The PS3 was instrumental in pushing Blu Ray into consumers homes. If the PS3 hadnt put millions of players in homes rather quickly, it wouldnt have been adopted as widely as it was. And while it didnt match the ridiculous adoption rate of DVD, it did well, especially in light of the extremely convenient competition of streaming, which DVD didnt have to contend with. If streaming wasnt a think, I would wager that Blu Ray adoption would be approaching that of DVD.

No, UHD isnt going to be getting people to go back to discs
. But what it will do is allow UHD blu ray to sell more than it would without the push from current gen consoles. With potentially 10s of millions of UHD blu players in homes over the next couple of years, a percentage of those homes WILL buy the occasional 4k disc, something they wouldnt do if their consoles werent 4k blu. I'm sure the blu disc association is pushing for both Sony and MS to put UHD players in their consoles sooner rather than later for this very reason.
If you concede to that, then what is the point of UHD hardware? Doesn't matter how many get a console with a UHD player if they are not buying the movie disc for it. Why 3D went down among other reasons. I think most people will see a Xbox S or Neo/slim and get it for the games like majority have gotten them for. PS3 was a cheap BR player at a time in 2006. 10 years later streaming is available, faster speeds are available. 10 years later BR still hasn't surpass DVD. Digital has been taking over from music to Netflix. I haven't bought a CD in 15 years or a BR disc since 2010. PC games are all digital for me. I stopped buying Xbox One disc within the first year. We have 4 Xbox One systems but take advantage of buying games digitally and able to share to my kids Xbox. No scratch disc or lost. Same reasons for music and movies.

70-80 millon PS3s have been sold since 2006 and yet Blu-Ray movie sales haven't surpassed DVD sales. So why would UHD disc do any better in a couple of years that BR hasn't done in 10?

It is great that the option is there, just don't believe it is going to bring us back to 2006 scenarios.

The 5.0 is here

Last edited by mboojigga; 07-06-2016 at 07:09 AM.
post #23 of 67 Old 07-06-2016, 08:06 AM
AVS Club Gold

BD sales won't surpass DVD sales. Both formats are in decline. And recently streaming surpassed DVD. Although sales numbers have been encouraging for UHD BDs so far this year. But nowhere near enough to make up for the decline of DVD and BD sales.

post #24 of 67 Old 07-06-2016, 04:55 PM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
If you concede to that, then what is the point of UHD hardware? Doesn't matter how many get a console with a UHD player if they are not buying the movie disc for it. Why 3D went down among other reasons. I think most people will see a Xbox S or Neo/slim and get it for the games like majority have gotten them for. PS3 was a cheap BR player at a time in 2006. 10 years later streaming is available, faster speeds are available. 10 years later BR still hasn't surpass DVD. Digital has been taking over from music to Netflix. I haven't bought a CD in 15 years or a BR disc since 2010. PC games are all digital for me. I stopped buying Xbox One disc within the first year. We have 4 Xbox One systems but take advantage of buying games digitally and able to share to my kids Xbox. No scratch disc or lost. Same reasons for music and movies.

70-80 millon PS3s have been sold since 2006 and yet Blu-Ray movie sales haven't surpassed DVD sales. So why would UHD disc do any better in a couple of years that BR hasn't done in 10?

It is great that the option is there, just don't believe it is going to bring us back to 2006 scenarios.
As much as I love streaming. Netflix 4K content is only at 15.2mbps using DD5.1+. A UHD Blu-ray is 100mbits and using advanced audio codec like Dolby Atmos/DTS:X. It's a totally difference experience. There will always be a market for high end audio/video. Current UHD Blu-ray sales compare to Blu-Ray sales when it launched is an indication that physical media is far from dead (UHd 228K /Blu-ray 57k). High speed internet penetration in rural area is far from being available everywhere. I work for an ISP and we are currently in a big fiber built. It's going to take us a very long time before we can afford to provide fiber to the home to everyone.
Manamb and Latinoheat like this.
post #25 of 67 Old 07-11-2016, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

At this juncture, I think UHD hardware is going to be for the enthusiast, much like hi-res audio. Hopefully UHD discs will do better than the audio side of things. However, the Blu Ray Disc Association is not yet ready to give up, though I feel this is likely their last foray into the world of physical media.

Quote:

That's because DVD had 150 million PS2, 20+million Xbox consoles plus the hundreds of millions of stand alone DVD players and zero competition. Blu Ray only had the 80 million PS3 consoles and who knows how many stand alone players, but nowhere near the number of DVD players out in the wild. It will come nowhere close to surpassing DVD because the numbers simply aren't there (unless the PS4 is able to achieve PS2 like numbers, which I doubt, but currently PS3 + PS4 + Xbox One puts 140 million Blu Ray players in peoples homes)

Quote:

its not going to bring us anywhere close to DVD numbers and 4k Blu ray won't reach HD Blu Ray's numbers. It will be a steady decline in optical disc format. And once streaming is able to compete with physical media for both audio and visual quality, even the enthusiasts are likely to drop the format. That won't be for some time though. Data speeds need to get quite a bit faster for that to happen.
reddice likes this.

post #26 of 67 Old 07-11-2016, 09:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
...once streaming is able to compete with physical media for both audio and visual quality, even the enthusiasts are likely to drop the format. That won't be for some time though. Data speeds need to get quite a bit faster for that to happen.
You need more than network bandwidth; you need reliable network quality (because we see drop outs and reduced bandwidth over time) as well as a data plan with enough capacity to stream multiple gigabytes of audio + video + metadata as we scale up to higher frame rates, color bit depth for WCG and HDR, immersive audio, and more. Finally, you need this network to be available (everywhere) to rural customers and you need competition in the market for all customers so that they have a choice.

If you ever wondered why network neutrality was important, ask yourself why we are seeing the earliest days of people hitting data caps and limited bandwidth to streaming providers before we even have the equivalent quality of UHD Blu-ray.
post #27 of 67 Old 07-13-2016, 01:05 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I live in a rural area and fiber is a long way off. Physical media is the only way to get high quality audio and video where I live. If the PS4Neo has a UHD player then I will get one. I use the PS3 mainly as a Blu-ray player anyway. The hands can't take the games anyway. Just got a 4K tv and can't wait to finally see material on it without all of the buffering!

Klipsch so much it Hz
OTA all the way
79 LaScala's
78 Heresy's
Onkyo, Grommes
Thorens
post #28 of 67 Old 07-14-2016, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

https://de.scribd.com/doc/312585554/PS4-5-NEO-pdf

Looks like some legit details have been leaked about NEO.
aaronwt likes this.

The 5.0 is here
post #29 of 67 Old 07-14-2016, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
https://de.scribd.com/doc/312585554/PS4-5-NEO-pdf

Looks like some legit details have been leaked about NEO.
Its an old doc which was the source of the earlier leaks.

Pathetic specs. Don't see how that is going to do real 4k gaming. Sounds like they are just counting on upconversion and "checkerboard" rendering whatever that is.
aaronwt likes this.
post #30 of 67 Old 07-15-2016, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by benes View Post
Pathetic specs. Don't see how that is going to do real 4k gaming.
It won't, but neither will the Scorpio. Real 4k gaming (I'd compare it to current PS4 being a "real 1080p gaming" system) from a console will have to wait for the next generation.

As for "pathetic specs", I personally think it's a bit pathetic to expect high-end PC gaming from a (likely) $399 system... but whatever floats your boat...
aaronwt likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply PlayStation Area