AVS Forum banner

PS VR is a little more than a month away... who's buying one ?

67K views 1K replies 102 participants last post by  Evan E 
#1 ·
I don't have a pre-order, but I'm going to try to get one somewhere if possible. (thinking Target at like 4am that morning)

Anybody got their pre-order paid in full and looking forward to October 13th ?

#6 · (Edited)
While the PS Move did indeed die out, it lasted far longer than six months. In fact it generated quite a few compatible games: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_Move_games and I remember having a lot of fun with them. If the PSVR ends up similarly, I expect I will get my money's worth, although I certainly hope for more from the platform. DriveClub VR (as someone who achieved platinum, which I almost never do, on the original game) is a killer app for me, personally.

On the other hand, the PSVR can't possibly flop as hard as the Xbox One Kinect, which apparently has only ten compatible games: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Kinect_games_for_Xbox_One (which seems impossibly low, perhaps there is a mistake here) and doesn't support Xbox 360 Kinect games either: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2936...in-xbox-ones-backward-compatibility-push.html. Fortunately PSVR has 30+ games/experiences lined up for launch and 50+ in the launch window extending through the end of the year, so it's not going to be that bad no matter what.

Back on subject, I did manage to scrounge up another PS Move, so I have two (and I have charged them so they still work!). I'm thinking about picking up one of these: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/promo/charging-and-carrying-solutions-sol-1421

which looks pretty slick. A lot of people are picking up art-deco style mannequin heads to put theirs on, which look cool but don't have the integrated charging stuff. Since I don't have a Move charger I'd like to avoid the cables.

#7 ·
This is one time I'm taking a wait-and-see approach.

I think the one thing that put me in this position is the relatively low thread count in the AVS Project Morpheus thread. I know it's only one forum, but to me, there seems to be an overall lack of interest. I'm also surprised there are so few reviews in the same thread from people that have had the opportunity to experience the PSVR in person. It's not in my area yet, but I was expecting people to report long lines and such. I'm not reading that, and it's disappointing to me, because I really do want this to take off in a big way.

#8 ·
If you want a thread of reviews of people who have tried the demos, this has a lot: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1231944.

It's difficult to judge interest in something like this. The pre-orders (both rounds) sold out within minutes, but we don't know how many headsets were made available or how many people are planning on flipping units. Then there are folks (like here) who want to buy but are waiting for the retail release. It'll be interesting to see if there are lines at the retail release. I don't think lack of reports of long lines at demo stations (although there were some in that thread I linked) means much as they are demoing a lot and it makes more sense to try coming back some other time rather than waiting for a long time in line for a 5 minute demo.

Genearlly speaking the gaming side of AVS is pretty sleepy, so I don't know if you can extrapolate very well to the general population.

All of that said, there's no reason to jump in if you're not ready.

#11 ·
Sucks that the PS4 Pro isn't coming out till almost a month later.

I don't currently own a PS4, and was thinking of getting both the PS4 Pro and PS VR, but if I do that, my PS VR will just be sitting in it's box for one month. Seems like a bad idea.

#13 ·
I was able to preorder a PSVR from Amazon over the summer and am slated to get it on October 13. I haven't been able to test the unit as there were no demos near me so this will be a blind buy, which is making me a bit uneasy. I've decided to wait on preordering any games until I can read some reviews. I will be curious to see how my 3D BluRays look thru the unit as well.

As for the PS Pro, I could be wrong but the presentation really didn't reveal much about how it will work with PSVR as the focus seemed to be on 4K/HDR. Maybe there will be more reveals I was actually pretty underwhelmed by what I saw of the Pro so far so for the time being I'll be going with a PS4 / PSVR combo and we'll see how that works out.

#14 · (Edited)
I was able to preorder a PSVR from Amazon over the summer and am slated to get it on October 13. I haven't been able to test the unit as there were no demos near me so this will be a blind buy, which is making me a bit uneasy. I've decided to wait on preordering any games until I can read some reviews. I will be curious to see how my 3D BluRays look thru the unit as well.
It's just my opinion, but I think PS VR is much better than it should be. You'd think it would be this low end experience, but I think it's pretty freaking solid. I tried it at Best Buy and was very impressed. The only real downside to the Sony is that the sweet spot is pretty small, so you have to make sure the headset is fitted to your head properly so that you have that sweet spot dialed in.

The game I tried is Battlezone, it's a tank game in a tron like world and I honestly think it's pretty awesome. It's definitely one of the PS VR games that I'll be most interested in right away. Far Point I think is the other one that looks prime time. The Crytek game, looks pretty interesting too, as well as the short Batman VR experience. A demo disk comes with both the VR bundles I think. So there is at least a few things to try out on it right away.

As for the PS Pro, I could be wrong but the presentation really didn't reveal much about how it will work with PSVR as the focus seemed to be on 4K/HDR. Maybe there will be more reveals I was actually pretty underwhelmed by what I saw of the Pro so far so for the time being I'll be going with a PS4 / PSVR combo and we'll see how that works out.
The GPU in there is supposed to be somewhat similar to the RX480 gpu. Maybe not quite that good, but within that range. That should improve the VR performance quite a bit. Of course, the proof is in the pudding. I went ahead and preordered the PS4 Pro. I don't currently own a PS4 at all, and figured it would be better just to jump in with that. I sold my launch PS4 a long, long time ago for $320, and I never did anything specific with that money, so I guess I kinda owe myself a PS4 again anyways. At least that's how I'm justifying it. Hopefully some of the journalist podcasters that I listen to might get a chance to play PS VR games with the Pro early and can comment on how much of an improvement is really there. I need to hear some first hand reports.

#15 ·
If you don't have a PS4 already and want one, getting a Pro for the ridiculously cheap $100 extra is an absolute no-brainer. Lost in the disappointment over the lack of UHD drive is what an amazing bang for your buck you get with PS4 Pro. This thing demolishes the current PS4 and makes an Xbox One look like a last-gen console for the same price as the PS4 launch unit three years ago.

Obviously Sony hasn't said much about PSVR and PS4 Pro yet. I would anticipate that games will employ super-sampling for increased image quality more often than any other improvement. The most common negative impression of PSVR is aliasing due to low rendering resolution and supersampling will help that a lot. Higher framerates will be a possibility as well. I'd guess that Oculus and Vive ports to PSVR with the vanilla PS4 that can't hit the 90hz native those panels employ will likely target that framerate on Pro, in addition to improving image quality. Native PSVR games will likely stick to whatever they run at on the regular PS4. All PSVR games will be required to have a Neo mode of some kind, but obviously some developers will do more than others.

The combination of checkerboard rendering and PSVR is also a really intriguing possibility. I would imagine a 4k rendered image downsampled to 1080p could look very attractive on the PSVR screen. That combination would be very competitive with a Rift or Vive on anything but the stoutest PC.

That said, I really enjoyed my demo of PSVR and from everything I have read the vanilla PS4 performance is great, as Anthony says much better than you might expect from looking at the individual pieces. Sony has done a really great job of designing an optimal experience with the parts they chose. Since I already have a PS4 I am not going to jump in on Pro right away, but I will definitely be getting one at some point and that will be the console I do my PSVR gaming on.

#16 ·
From a raw GPU perspective in terms of Tflops, it looks like the PS4Pro is about in line with a GTX1060 (Nvidia seems much more popular in the VR space) and given that you have some inherent efficiency (how much I don't know) in coding for a fixed hardware combined with the fact that a lot of the game developers on PSVR titles are established studios, then it lends itself to the possibility that PSVR with a PS4Pro could perform essentially as well as a PC with a GTX1070 with a Vive. PSVR is a little lower resolution, but the pixel structure and all that versus raw screen door blurs the line.

PSVR seems like it'll have the worse tracking compared to the Vive and Oculus's impending Touch. Still, I'm compelled to keep the pre-order that I have on the PSVR (Oct 13th) even though I picked up a Vive already. The wife would likely kill me but I guess I could just say, "well, I forgot to cancel". The whole forgiveness versus permission thing.

I have tried the PSVR and I loved the experience, enough that it pushed me to go out and pick up a Vive 2 days later. So I don't really have a great Vive vs PSVR objective comparison to draw from.

My biggest concern is that PSVR, regardless of how close or far it performs in comparison to Oculus and Vive, is that it'll be heads and shoulders the leader in the software category. Case in point is Crytek's Robinson, which looks like an interesting AAA game.

#17 · (Edited)
PSVR seems like it'll have the worse tracking compared to the Vive and Oculus's impending Touch.
I think "worse", while technically accurate, is a bit simplistic. It is more limited but there are enough differences in approach that it's complicated to compare.

From everything I have read and experienced, the quality of the head tracking of the headset itself is very comparable between PSVR and the PC solutions (based on Vive). While there is only a single camera source, the front-facing camera is a bit less of a limitation than you might think because the headset has LEDs on all sides, and it also has accelerometers that it can draw on. It's possible to completely obscure the headset from the camera but you really have to work hard to do it (e.g. turn completely away from the camera and hang your head down). The Move controllers track well when set up properly in my experience (I think the "Move sucks" impressions come mostly when setup is bad and it's relying strictly on the accelerometers, although it is certainly possible that bad lighting situations could degrade the tracking quality). Even with the old PS3 cameras I had 1:1 tracking and didn't have problems myself, and the quality is improved with the PS4 camera. The Move controllers will be easier to obscure from the camera since it is a single camera, and the quality will degrade when the Move bulbs aren't visible in the camera, so that's definitely an important consideration when comparing with the PC solutions with multiple sensors.

Overall I think the PSVR tracking is better than it is getting credit for. I've seen a lot of comments that it doesn't support 360 tracking which is definitely untrue with the caveat that the Move controllers will track poorly when obscured, which will happen when turning around. Also, having the gamepad tracked is a feature unique to PSVR and I really enjoyed how the controller was rendered and tracked in the Battlezone demo. That's a small thing but it is nice. I saw SuperHyperCube (which I did not demo, sadly) has the controller rendered as well in a cool neon treatment, so I expect this is going to be a not uncommon feature in PSVR games.

#18 · (Edited)
I had some time to kill at work, so I popped over to the nearby Best Buy to check the PSVR demo out.

I want one. NOW. :D

Played both Battlezone and EVE: Valkyrie, and after each demo was done, it was very hard coming out of that VR headspace, back into reality. It really captures "stepping into a video game" that has to be experienced to be understood.

It took about 10 to 15 seconds to adjust to such a low-res image. After staring at 4K TVs, putting that headset on was like turning on an old TV and watching a VHS. Saw some pixels in the black areas that looked like I was looking through a black cloth hood, but very slight. The headset felt decent, and the sound through the headphones was good enough.

Then the demo started, and looking around - the head tracking, the audio tracking... wow. I was really in that game, Tron-style. And so glad to be seated, because I starting to get a bit dizzy playing Battlezone. At one point the demo prompts to switch weapons with the square button, and I looked down at the controller to make sure I remembered which was the square, and of course I had no arms, legs, or controller! That was one of those breaks in the immersion, but I could immediately jump back in.

Man, the day this experience develops into super-sharp resolution with more complex geometry using lightweight gear... It's going to be scary. But my 5 to 10 minutes with the PSVR was quite an experience, and I can't wait to get my hands one one next month! :cool:

#19 ·
See...before VR...after VR......and if I can find a preorder for this, I'll get one. PS4 Pro is on-deck, but missed the ordering for this one.

Attachments

#24 ·
I too, like DaverJ demoed a PS4VR combo at my nearby Best Buy. I thought it was awesome! and it was perfectly balanced with their console IMO. I think Sony has a real winner on their hands. I really like the way Sony is not over hyping the VR aspects of the PS4 Pro launch. That is very smart strategy. They already have that gigantic ps4 install base in tow. And they will move en masse to PSVR based on word of mouth about knock out VR games & UHD movies viewed through PS4 Pro. And IMO that is where Sony is putting their muscle. There are a lot of PS3 games I never played, that I believe Sony will tweak to work adequately in PSVR. Games like GOW Trilogy & Mass Effect Trilogy. I most definitely plan to make PS4 Pro/PSVR my 1st Play Station buy since PS2. I'm all over this one...and can't wait for it and the great reviews. In many ways...I believe PSVR will actually be the mass market game changer on VR. Somewhat akin to Sony Walkman. The PS Pro/VR system is on my purchase punch list for Q1 2017. I do think however that Xbox One Scorpio will be tightly wound with Oculus Rift. And I plan to grab that package next year too. Especially since the Oculus will be usable with my gaming PC. So 2017 is shaping up to be the big upgrade year for me with PS4 Pro/VR 1st in line. Followed by Oculus Rift/AMD R9 490X GPU next...followed by XB1 Scorpio. My priority buy for 2016 is still a 43" 4K PC monitor with a speaker out jack (like the Phillips models).

#27 ·
Have it preordered on Amazon, but after the PS4 Pro, I decided to hold off on it instead of spending $900 all at once. I'll probably grab the VR after Christmas or early 2017 when Resident Evil 7 comes out. No games coming for VR really interest my at the moment.

#30 ·
Good news, the US demo disc is going to have seventeen demos on it: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/09/12/all-the-games-on-the-playstation-vr-demo-disc/

The disc includes demos of entertainment and gaming content spanning across a wide variety of diverse genres. That way, you can get a sense of the content you enjoy the most and can even click to purchase and download the game after trying the demo.
Also, if your friends have a PS4 system but have not played PS VR yet, just bring your PS VR and demo disc over to their place so they can have a go!
Now without further ado, here’s what you get on the disc:

• Allumette (Penrose)
  • Battlezone (Rebellion)
  • DriveClub VR (SIE WWS)
  • Eve: Valkyrie (CCP Games)
  • Gnog (KO_OP)
  • Harmonix Music VR (Harmonix Music Systems)
  • Headmaster (Frame Interactive)
  • Here They Lie (SIE WWS)
  • Job Simulator (Owlchemy Labs)
  • PlayStation VR Worlds (SIE WWS)
  • Resident Evil 7 biohazard — Kitchen Teaser (Capcom CO., LTD.)
  • Rez Infinite (Enhance Games)
  • Rigs Mechanized Combat League (SIE WWS)
  • Thumper (Drool)
  • Tumble VR (SIE WWS)
  • Until Dawn: Rush of Blood (SIE WWS)
  • Wayward Sky (Uber Entertainment)
  • Within (Within)

#31 ·
I will be trying my best to get one on October 13th, sadly I could not pre-order because here in Japan it is very popular and everyone jumped on pre-orders fast.

I have tried the VR at least 6 times at different stores here and love it! I have played Playstation VR worlds where you are a dinosaur walking down a street avoiding objects and stomping on things. Was really fun and I felt like I was really in the game.

Then I have tried the under ocean demo which is more like a video then a game. You get dropped into the ocean in a cage and fish and turtles swim around you. As you get lower the water gets darker and jelly fish light up and swim around.
As you are coming back up, a shark swims around you and then attacks the cage. I really felt like I was there at times, when the shark knocked the cage door off and I looked down I really felt I was suspended by a rope hanging in the ocean. Looking down there was much depth and I had to move my feet and actually bend down and feel the floor below me "as I started to feel I am really hanging" was a bit scary but super cool.

I really want the VR and plan to call into work sick on the 13th and try to grab one at a store if they have any!

Reactions: Abaddon and DaverJ
#32 ·
bravia3D - Kinda off topic question, but have you seen any Vive demos anywhere in Japan ? I'm curious as to how the Japanese public view the HTC Vive. It requires a pretty high-end gaming PC which seems like it would be a pretty big roadblock, but I'm guessing the roomscale concept has to be somewhat interesting to people there.

Obviously I'm hoping Sony PS VR sells well in Japan but it would be nice if the Vive got a wee bit of popularity too, so that roomscale might be something that Sony would look to having for PS5. (hopefully they aren't as afraid of lawsuits as Oculus is)

#34 ·
Obviously I'm hoping Sony PS VR sells well in Japan but it would be nice if the Vive got a wee bit of popularity too, so that roomscale might be something that Sony would look to having for PS5. (hopefully they aren't as afraid of lawsuits as Oculus is)
PSVR does support "roomscale" (which is a bit of a misunderstood buzzword IMHO). Sony is emphasizing seated or standing experiences more, and with the single front-facing camera it is more limited than Vive or Oculus. So it is definitely Vive right now that is driving that experience hard.

Here's a trailer/demo for such a game that is announced for Vive, Rift, and PSVR (shown demoed with Vive):

#33 ·
@Anthony1:
I can talk about this a bit. My daughter in law (in Texas) is Japanese. She is very bright with a Masters Degree in Finance from one of the top Universities over there. And she does a lot of 2 way language transcribing and editing consulting for some large Japanese companies. I asked her about VR in general and that very topic when I recently visited them. She doesn't think VR will work in Japan at all if it requires any type of major adjustment to room size and space. Because living space in general is so restricted and small in Japan. In fact she thinks VR will be very popular in Japan for the opposite reason. Meaning...Bringing very large screen, immersive experiences to small, already fixed spaces like apartments. Which is the dominant household living space choice in Japan. Big Uber PC Rigs and Vive is unlikely to have much traction or appeal in Japan if she was accurate. Especially regarding already severe living space limitations all over Japan. But PSVR and XB1 with Oculus Rift & Kinect could actually work if executed properly.

#36 · (Edited)
Speaking of "not wanting to step into that experience" this is one of my favorite recent videos along those lines. Not sure if I've already posted it but it's worth posting again even so:

It makes me almost cry with laughter. Poor Dave.

As for Rez, it looks interesting, but I'm a little dubious about how such a clean and line-based style is going to translate to current VR with its low-resolution and aliasing challenges. Then again SuperHyperCube appears to have done a great job of it so who knows? I've also never played Rez before, and while I know there are a lot of people who love it, I'm not sure I "get" it. Thankfully it is on the demo disc so I will get a chance to try it out for free before worrying about buying it blind.

#37 ·
I'm interested to see how brookhaven experiment ends up on PSVR given the one camera. I know it can track the headset fine given the light bar on the back of it, but occlusion with the controllers seem a risk when you're standing at 180 from the camera.

Horror fans should check out "A chair in the room: greenwater", I don't get scared from movies or games but this game literally made me jump and feel extreme tension several times.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.