AVS Forum banner

All PS4s to support HDR via Firmware Update!

Tags
ps4 ps4 pro
11K views 297 replies 54 participants last post by  DaverJ 
#1 · (Edited)
Coming soon via Firmware Update!

#6 ·
They could but they don't. If you aren't 4K capable with HDCP 2.2/HDMI 2.0a, they don't send the 4K/HDR streams.

Reactions: Musician
#18 ·
New firmware tomorrow (Tuesday, Nov. 13). Hopefully the mystery of how HDR on the original PS4 works will be revealed!

High Dynamic Range (HDR)

When we announced PS4 Pro and the new slimmer PS4 last week, we also announced that all PlayStation 4 systems — back to the very first console sold in 2013 — would be HDR capable. After updating your system to version 4.00, you’ll see HDR settings in the Video Output Settings and be ready to enjoy HDR gaming and entertainment content once it’s available on any PS4 system you own. Of course, you’ll need an HDR compatible display as well.

#19 ·
I'm very skeptical of the benefits of running HDR in 1080p. I'm still wondering how Sony it's going to fake it's way into an HDMI 2.0a spec compatibility through a firmware update. HDR was really design to run with higher resolution as the # of pixel do matters when you want to improved micro contrast and gradient.

Since each games needs to be patches for HDR metadata, we won't be able to really use that features until we get some real HDR gaming content to try it with. Hopefully this come sooner than later.

#20 ·
I'm very skeptical of the benefits of running HDR in 1080p. [...] HDR was really design to run with higher resolution as the # of pixel do matters when you want to improved micro contrast and gradient.
Not sure where you heard that, but it is not true. HDR will work great on 1080p. It won't magically make the display higher res, of course.
Since each games needs to be patches for HDR metadata, we won't be able to really use that features until we get some real HDR gaming content to try it with. Hopefully this come sooner than later.
Right, this will be a "look, it's nothing!" update until there are apps/games that make use of it. On that note Naughty Dog has announced HDR support for Uncharted 4 http://www.vg247.com/2016/09/12/ps4...he-smudge-from-your-glasses-says-naughty-dog/, specifically:
Like, all we’re doing is adding stuff, adding HDR support even to the base PS4 owners. This patch that’ll be available for release in November will allow both PS4 Pro owners and regular PS4 owners with an HDR-compatible TV or a 4K TV to enjoy the benefits.

#22 ·
Diggn' the new 4.0 update.

It feels smoother and looks so clean.

- Jason

#23 ·
So I updated both PS4s in my house, one on an HDR 4KTV and the other on a non-HDR 4KTV.

The one that doesn't have HDR the HDR setting was set to off and deep color was set to off.

On the HDR-enabled set, the HDR setting was set to automatic as well as the deep color setting so the PS4 recognized that it was connected to an HDR-enabled set.

No games looked any different to me on the HDR set.

#24 ·
My TV isn't HDR and my settings for deep color (which my TV is capable of) and HDR were set to off. I left HDR off and Deep Color set to Automatic.

You technically shouldn't see any difference yet as we haven't had any HDR games released or patches released for other games that I'm aware of. It will be interesting to see how the non-Pro PS4's look with HDR.

#28 · (Edited)
Regarding the hardware side of things, keep in mind that HDMI 1.4 is fully capable of 3840x2160 @ 60Hz with 4:2:0 chroma. The chroma sub-sampling isn't at all an issue when games should be natively rendered at 1080p anyway; heck even 4k HDR digital video uses 4:2:0.

Therefore I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that Sony is basically "lying" to the TV and telling it that it's actually sending an HDMI 2.0a video signal at 4k 60Hz 4:2:0 and the TV has no choice but to believe it because the actual raw video signal isn't any different save for any sort of metadata (which can be altered via a software-side fix).

#30 ·
So is there any way to test HDR on the PS4 presently?

#31 ·
I bought a Vizio M55-C2 back in March of this year. I was assured that HDR was not needed and at least 2 years away from being relevant. Now I watch Sonys conference and it was HDR this and HDR that and now my PS4 is HDR compatible. I feel like I was misinformed big time and that I now need to sell my TV and get an HDR one.

#32 ·
Well, at least you can sit on the sidelines while others try to figure out what the heck is going on. I have a Vizio P50 - turned on HDR on my PS4, which also turns on deep color. For some reason on the latest PS update, deep color gives everything a bad green tint. :confused: Not sure if this is problem on the Vizio or the Playstation end, but I hope it can be fixed before the games roll out.

See what your missing..? :eek:

So is there any way to test HDR on the PS4 presently?
Nope. Once there is, someone will post here.

#43 ·
Depending on how you look at it, HDR really isn't relevant in a UHDTV until they have it "figured out and locked down", which they certainly don't. HDR should be fairly stable by 2018, but I'm sure they will come up with some other thing to annoy the crap out of us, the money spenders.

#50 · (Edited)
Sony will simply update the port to 2.0a. They designed the port controller of PS4 with futureproof in mind and gave it higher bandthwith than was required for 1.4. Higher bandwidth is all that is required to upgrade it to 2.0a, pins are still the same. There are reports on internet that even HDCP controller on PS4 can be upgraded to 2.2 if necessary one day.
Not sure how this makes a whole lot of sense since a bunch of televisions and devices were manufactured long after the original PS4 and they didn't get an HDMI 2.0a or HDCP 2.2 update via software resulting in owners of older 2013 or 2014 Samsung models such as the F and HU series -- which were truly built with future proofing in mind -- having to upgrade our HARDWARE with the 2015 Evolution Kit which had the necessary chips inside to enable HDMI 2.0a via a firmware update late last year.

Do you guys really believe the chipset delivered in the original 2013 PS4 is truly capable of a software update to bring them up to HDMI 2.0a and HDCP 2.2 standards?

And if this is so darn simple what's taking them?

Hate to beak it to you but Sony couldn't even upgrade their 2013 TV's (which cost a heck of a lot more than their game console) to HDMI 2.0a and HDCP 2.2 anymore than Samsung could upgrade our TVs without overhauling the hardware and chipsets through the purchase of the Evo Kit.

If these claims of yours turn out to be true, that will be great for you, @jeff_rigby, and anyone else who bought the PS4 with the future in mind and I'll be happy for you. Even if they can I expect there will be some limitations on what the PS4 will be capable of when it comes to HDR compared to say the XBox One S.

Edit

Before I participate any further in this thread, whatever happened to the Thread Starter @iamitman who started this rumour proclaiming in big bold letters that "All PS4s to support HDR via Firmware Update!" which was posted on September 7th -- 3 weeks ago now -- with absolutely zero, nada, zilch facts to support this rumour?

Rememeber folks, not everything you read on the internet is true!!!

This post has been deleted
#58 ·
At this point nothing. i don't even understand why they enabled it yet if there isn't even any content to test it out with.

They should have just waited to implement it when there was HDR content available to use with the PS4.

#57 ·
HDR is there, just no use for it yet. Hopefully they will update a game or two soon. At least they are keeping the console as up to date as they can. Xbox-s is on my list of purchases just because it has 4k blu-ray and it will work with all my 360 games.

#63 ·
I too would like to know when the first HDR ready content will be available on the PS4. I am waiting to purchase games such as Uncharted 4, The Last of Us R, new Tomb Raider (comes out in Oct.) until patches for these come out on the OG. Also bought Shadow or Mordor but won't play until its patch is released. Don't understand why we all gotta wait for the PRO to release to get these updates... frustrating!

#69 ·
I am mostly concerned about the possibility of these games getting proper patches for the Legacy PS4, if ever. There's not much clarity whether we'll get them in HDR at all and if not I might as well play these games now.

#75 ·
I'll probably wait for HDR Uncharted 4 as well. I really don't have all that much time for gaming, and that will give me the push to pick it up. And I am truly surprised that sony didn't include a 4k drive with the pro. If not for the ps3, we may all be watching hi-def dvd now. Even though I'm more of a PS fan, I'm getting an xbox-s just because it has a 4k drive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.