54Likes

post #1 of 47 Old 01-25-2017, 12:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked: 558
Resident Evil 7

Surely there is a thread posted on this game in this forum, but I am not seeing anything.. How are you all liking the game so far? I've had some terrific jump scares from it and have enjoyed the storyline after about 2.5 hours of gameplay tonight. One of the few times where I wished I had a PSVR so I could check it out in VR as well!
Abaddon likes this.

Xbox Live: DaBeavers
PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
"Too much knowledge never makes for simple decisions."
-Ghanima Atreides
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 Old 01-25-2017, 03:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Quoted: 2629 Post(s)
Liked: 2500
There are so many great games out right now. I'm holding off on RE7. I enjoyed the extensive demo teaser and also played the VR at the PSExperience. I will likely pick it up used in a month or two.
post #3 of 47 Old 01-25-2017, 06:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked: 636
I played Beginning Hour in VR (waited to play it in VR) and was sold. Full game comes tomorrow and I can't wait to give it a go!

FYI, I've been seeing mention of people saying the game looks bad in VR because the beginning of the game (outside) looks bad. Apparently it looks bad in all versions (even PC at high res) but once you are inside it looks great.

I too was surprised there was not already a thread. Thanks for starting one!

post #4 of 47 Old 01-25-2017, 07:47 AM

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Even if you don't have PSVR, one thing that the Ars Technica review mentioned was that it's a real showcase for HDR:
Quote:
I'd go so far as to call the game mechanically better in HDR. When a bright light appears, it doesn't have a fake-halo effect around it, and dark hallways contain more color and light gradation. The game is absolutely enjoyable on older TVs, but these tweaks deliver a real payoff when you're trying to find hidden items or aim at a monster lurching at you in the dark.
Aetherhole likes this.
post #5 of 47 Old 01-25-2017, 09:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan E View Post
Even if you don't have PSVR, one thing that the Ars Technica review mentioned was that it's a real showcase for HDR:
Beginning Hour really sold me on this game, especially with the HDR capabilities; however, I still may need to hold off on this title because I have a backlog of games that I should really get to before I pick it up.

LG OLED65C6P ISF Calibrated by David Abrams @ Avical
Marantz AV8801 / D-Sonic M2500 / Oppo UDP-203
GR Research LS-9 / GR Research X-Voce / GR Research AV-1RS / Oppo PM-1
post #6 of 47 Old 01-25-2017, 09:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 91
I've played a lot of the demo and liked it. I was waiting for the reviews of the full game, and they're good, so I had this on my watch list for a price drop -- but then I saw the $12 discount for Amazon Prime members and decided to order it even though I still have a backlog of other titles. Looking forward to it.

- Jer
Abaddon likes this.
post #7 of 47 Old 01-25-2017, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aetherhole View Post
Beginning Hour really sold me on this game, especially with the HDR capabilities; however, I still may need to hold off on this title because I have a backlog of games that I should really get to before I pick it up.
ahh the curse of the backlog! I just keep adding to it. My steam backlog is the worse with all of the sales they have!

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
-Ghanima Atreides
post #8 of 47 Old 01-25-2017, 06:32 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I'll be getting the PC version tomorrow, I see its on CD Keys for $38 right now.

https://www.cdkeys.com/pc/games/resi...c-steam-cd-key
Arutha_conDoin likes this.
post #9 of 47 Old 01-27-2017, 08:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1315 Post(s)
Liked: 3705
Not really a RE fan, but the buzz is hooking me in. About the pull the trigger at some point.

-
"My advice: don't spend money on therapy. Spend it in a record store." – Wim Wenders
post #10 of 47 Old 01-28-2017, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Im just starting it. I am a little confused with the HDR settings though. Most games tell you to slide until 1 is barely visible but this game tells you to slide until both boxes are the same brightness. Does this mean until both boxes are as bright as possible while maintaining different colors (white and gray) or until it becomes 1 super bright box.

Im using the Vizio P which the last setting before the internal gray box starts to turn white is like 400? But its 1000-1100 for when they both turn bright white.

Vizio P55-C1 - Xbox One S - Playstation 4 Pro
post #11 of 47 Old 01-28-2017, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motley01 View Post
I'll be getting the PC version tomorrow, I see its on CD Keys for $38 right now.

https://www.cdkeys.com/pc/games/resi...c-steam-cd-key
Thanks for the heads up. I hadn't checked CDkeys for pricing on this one but after seeing your post snapped it up for $39.99. Not bad for a brand new game. PC pricing wins again.

XBOX: Budracin88
Steam ID: Budracin88
Origin ID: Budracin88
DESTINY 2 (PC)!!! - AKA Blizzard: Budracin88#1797
Uplay ID: Budracin8808
YouTube Channel
post #12 of 47 Old 01-28-2017, 01:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Played for about an hour this morning and got a bit past the area from the demo. Great atmosphere, loving this in VR. I don't mind if the visuals take a hit -- the sense of presence more than makes up for it.

- Jer
DaverJ, Arutha_conDoin and Evan E like this.
post #13 of 47 Old 01-28-2017, 07:13 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 180
played maybe a hour and a half in vr. most amazing experience. blows the demo away. when your at the table with the family its so freaking real.lol
Marc Alexander likes this.
post #14 of 47 Old 01-28-2017, 07:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1897 Post(s)
Liked: 2145
Quote:
Originally Posted by vulsker View Post
Im just starting it. I am a little confused with the HDR settings though. Most games tell you to slide until 1 is barely visible but this game tells you to slide until both boxes are the same brightness. Does this mean until both boxes are as bright as possible while maintaining different colors (white and gray) or until it becomes 1 super bright box.

Im using the Vizio P which the last setting before the internal gray box starts to turn white is like 400? But its 1000-1100 for when they both turn bright white.
until it's one bright box. That pattern is telling the game at what nit level your tv clips white.
vulsker likes this.
post #15 of 47 Old 01-29-2017, 06:46 AM

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10k View Post
until it's one bright box. That pattern is telling the game at what nit level your tv clips white.
Awesome, thank you very much!

Vizio P55-C1 - Xbox One S - Playstation 4 Pro
post #16 of 47 Old 01-29-2017, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post
Not really a RE fan, but the buzz is hooking me in. About the pull the trigger at some point.
Give into the pressure and do it! You will love it and hate how it scares you at the same time!
DaverJ likes this.

PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
-Ghanima Atreides
post #17 of 47 Old 01-29-2017, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaines View Post
Played for about an hour this morning and got a bit past the area from the demo. Great atmosphere, loving this in VR. I don't mind if the visuals take a hit -- the sense of presence more than makes up for it.

- Jer
If I do not end up getting a PSVR down the road, I'll end up buying this game on PC once the VR version comes out so I can play it on my Vive. Hell it will probably be cheaper that way

PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
-Ghanima Atreides
post #18 of 47 Old 01-29-2017, 10:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked: 1212
I got it. It's a good horror game. I really enjoyed it. Was really short. I was done in about 8-9 hours. Can't do the psvr, the low res kills me. Still a fun game with a really great atmosphere.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #19 of 47 Old 01-30-2017, 07:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post
I got it. It's a good horror game. I really enjoyed it. Was really short. I was done in about 8-9 hours. Can't do the psvr, the low res kills me. Still a fun game with a really great atmosphere.
Is this on an og ps4 of ps4 pro?
post #20 of 47 Old 01-30-2017, 08:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked: 1212
Pro. Though I have a vive and rift. The psvr doesn't hold up to them at all.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #21 of 47 Old 01-31-2017, 06:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post
Pro. Though I have a vive and rift. The psvr doesn't hold up to them at all.
I disagree heavily (and I own a Vive), PSVR has some strong suits for it, one thing being software. Still, this much later, most of the Vive library is amateur hour. It's my concern with the Vive really, they are hardware focused, which is great, but not doing much for software development. Oculus has, thankfully, been pushing the software angle with their funding.

RE7 has easily been my best VR experience due to the sense of presence and feeling like I'm in that dank nasty house. I can't think of a single VR game that has made me feel more in that place. A big portion of it has to do with Capcom and their attention to detail and amount of time and money they spent simply creating the art. Sure it doesn't have motion control or whatever, and perhaps it could be even better with it, but there is more to VR than that. The only other game that gave me a similar sense of presence was a chair in the room but RE7 has taken it much much further.

I've had several moments of amazement in VR, but they are usually brief. The first time I saw the whale in theBlu, the first time I played Xortex26XX, the fire time I played Luckey's Tale. My first ever VR experience was Ocean Descent on PSVR via the BestBuy demo. There are other moments, and they are amazing. RE7 has been the only one that makes me feel that sense of amazement over and over.

edit: I don't know how the res bothers you on PSVR but the bump-texture everything has on the Vive due to the screen door doesn't. I'm here on AVS, I care about fidelity naturally, and I'd say I care about it more than the average consumer as most of us AVS'ers tend to do, but when comparing the PSVR to Vive (I haven't spent enough time in the Rift) the lenses with the fresnel grove glare and the screen door giving everything a bump-texture bothers me far more than lower resolution of the PSVR screen.
DaverJ, Abaddon, PrepP and 1 others like this.

"The Scuba Tank" thread here
PSN/XBL/Steam : ScubaSteve2365 - PC = i7-4790k, GTX 1080Ti, 32GB Ram, 500G SSD, 14TB HDDs
My VR Podcast on Youtube - VR Roundtable - Vive, Playstation VR, and Rift Owner

Last edited by scubasteve2365; 01-31-2017 at 06:34 AM.
post #22 of 47 Old 01-31-2017, 07:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

People greatly overestimate how much lower resolution the PSVR screen is than the Vive/Rift. They have a grand total of 240 pixels horizontally and 120 pixels vertically more than PSVR, roughly 10% greater resolution. I posted a picture illustrating the difference a while back but I am not sure I was very successful in doing so as it seemed like nobody else could see it...

The headset design is also far superior to either of the PC solutions, although I will admit I have only limited time with the others to compare it to. Once you add the Pro into the equation, it is a very capable VR system in it's own right, and absolutely not "not holding up to them at all". I do wish the tracking was more robust, but there are limitations to what you can do with what is, relatively speaking, a budget solution.

Anyway, back on topic, I'm about 5 hours into the game (might be inflated due to leaving the game on during a break). At this point I don't really find the game that scary, but it is FUN, and there are definitely some good jump scares thrown in here or there to keep you on your toes, plus an assortment of gross stuff and general atmospheric creepiness. I'd say the flavor has gone from "Saw" to more of a classic RE experience at this point, and I'm glad, as I'm not really a gore fan. I mean there's still gore but... yeesh.
DaverJ and Evan E like this.
post #23 of 47 Old 01-31-2017, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve2365 View Post
...The only other game that gave me a similar sense of presence was a chair in the room...

Somehow I managed to miss "Chair: The VR Experience".

I agree that once you're actually in Resident Evil the resolution difference, even between 2D 4K and the resolution the VR version renders at, largely doesn't matter. The impact of having the world all around you (and being so very vulnerable from every side) makes it such a different experience that comparing numbers misses the point. Capcom really did a great job with the VR version.

Last edited by Evan E; 01-31-2017 at 07:39 AM.
post #24 of 47 Old 01-31-2017, 07:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1315 Post(s)
Liked: 3705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arutha_conDoin View Post
Give into the pressure and do it! You will love it and hate how it scares you at the same time!
Driving by Best Buy today, and thought... what the heck.

Played RE7 via PSVR for a little over an hour tonight. Holy crap - it's starting to be a pretty freakin' intense experience.

-
"My advice: don't spend money on therapy. Spend it in a record store." – Wim Wenders
post #25 of 47 Old 01-31-2017, 07:41 PM

One of us! One of us!
post #26 of 47 Old 02-01-2017, 06:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 635 Post(s)
Liked: 478
What settings are you guys using to avoid motion sickness? I have changed from the 30° Angle views to Custom 3 and 4, changed the VR filter to None, and changed the camera speed to Normal (I believe), and Walk Speed to Normal, but this has made things worse. I want to really enjoy this game in VR, but at the moment can only stomach it in 20 to 30 minute spurts. I've tried standing up also, which was worse. Being that the headset can adjust to your position away from the camera, does it matter how far away you are from the camera?

I have finished the entire game without VR, and it was fantastic. Now I want the experience of VR but need some settings help!
post #27 of 47 Old 02-01-2017, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildgator25 View Post
What settings are you guys using to avoid motion sickness? I have changed from the 30° Angle views to Custom 3 and 4, changed the VR filter to None, and changed the camera speed to Normal (I believe), and Walk Speed to Normal, but this has made things worse. I want to really enjoy this game in VR, but at the moment can only stomach it in 20 to 30 minute spurts. I've tried standing up also, which was worse. Being that the headset can adjust to your position away from the camera, does it matter how far away you are from the camera?

I have finished the entire game without VR, and it was fantastic. Now I want the experience of VR but need some settings help!
The only thing I changed was the walk speed (bumped it up to Normal). Rise Of The Tomb Raider's "Blood Ties" DLC gave you the option of smooth turning or pie rotation, and I found smooth turning pretty nausea-inducing, so I stuck with 30° turning in Resident Evil. Did you try the pie rotation, or did you immediately change it to smooth turning as soon as you started?

I haven't had any queasiness at all, but everyone has their own VR reactions.
wildgator25 likes this.
post #28 of 47 Old 02-01-2017, 07:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildgator25 View Post

This is a very personal (YMMV) thing. Also, with more experience, I do believe one can become more accustomed to VR locomotion (the oft-mentioned "VR Legs"), although it seems like that doesn't apply to everyone.

I dislike angle turning, but for some people it is necessary to avoid motion sickness. You might want to try it again and see if it helps. Same with the VR filter, blocking motion in the peripheral vision can help some people. For me, I have stuff at normal and I left the smooth turning in the default (IIRC) 2. I have heard standing is a definite no-no unless you are very comfortable in VR.
Quote:
Being that the headset can adjust to your position away from the camera, does it matter how far away you are from the camera?
In any PSVR game with positional tracking of the headset, you can only be so far away from the headset before it will start "swimming" (usually swaying towards/away from the camera, with the amount of swaying increasing the further you get away). If you are getting any of that it could definitely be contributing to making you sick. If you are not, there should be no problem. Of course any major tracking issues are guaranteed to introduce nausea so if you get any of that it is best to power off the PS4 and try again, which often eliminates tracking issues altogether.

Generally speaking when there is VR locomotion, the slower you make it the easier it should be. So you can also try ratcheting everything down and see if that helps.

HTH... it is really a transformational experience, compared to playing on a television.
wildgator25 and Evan E like this.
post #29 of 47 Old 02-01-2017, 10:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 635 Post(s)
Liked: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan E View Post
Did you try the pie rotation, or did you immediately change it to smooth turning as soon as you started?
I tried the 30° rotation with the demo and didn't know for a long time that you could actually change it in the settings, lol. I was beginning to wonder how in the world I could ever play the game like this because between turning my head and moving the camera too far/not far enough it was more frustrating that fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaddon View Post
This is a very personal (YMMV) thing. Also, with more experience, I do believe one can become more accustomed to VR locomotion (the oft-mentioned "VR Legs"), although it seems like that doesn't apply to everyone.

I dislike angle turning, but for some people it is necessary to avoid motion sickness. You might want to try it again and see if it helps. Same with the VR filter, blocking motion in the peripheral vision can help some people. For me, I have stuff at normal and I left the smooth turning in the default (IIRC) 2. I have heard standing is a definite no-no unless you are very comfortable in VR.In any PSVR game with positional tracking of the headset, you can only be so far away from the headset before it will start "swimming" (usually swaying towards/away from the camera, with the amount of swaying increasing the further you get away). If you are getting any of that it could definitely be contributing to making you sick. If you are not, there should be no problem. Of course any major tracking issues are guaranteed to introduce nausea so if you get any of that it is best to power off the PS4 and try again, which often eliminates tracking issues altogether.

Generally speaking when there is VR locomotion, the slower you make it the easier it should be. So you can also try ratcheting everything down and see if that helps.

HTH... it is really a transformational experience, compared to playing on a television.
All of this makes much sense! I will transition everything down and play around in the areas where Jack is not roaming at the moment to get a better feel for everything before I have to run for my life!

Thanks for the help guys!
Abaddon likes this.
post #30 of 47 Old 02-01-2017, 10:33 AM

One of the things I often do with horror games is watch videos of other people playing the parts I've already done - it's fun to watch other people freak out at the same things I've freaked out at, and often times you'll see approaches you didn't take, or bits that just didn't happen in your game (which this game has a number of). This is the first one that I've watched, though, where I'm watching people playing in VR. A common refrain that I hear, from commentator after commentator, is something along the lines of "Oh, god, I don't want to do this...this is too much...no no no no no, do I have to keep doing this?".

It's a really good game regardless of how you play it (I envy people with an HDR-capable TV), but VR, even with its drop in image quality, seriously puts the screws into you.
Abaddon likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply PlayStation Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page