AVS Forum banner

PS4 all in one for home theater

4K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  NuSoardGraphite 
#1 ·
Hi, I had in my last home theater a PS3 which was fantastic because I could play blue ray movies, 3D movies, video games, netflix, ect. I even had a conventional remote with it in addition to the game controllers. I sold that house 3 years ago and am finishing up my new home theater in my new house. Can I use the PS4 in the same way? Will it play UHD discs as well as an OPPO? 3D? What are the cons of using a PS4 as a media center instead of getting an OPPO? Thx a lot! Sam

#11 · (Edited)
Just to add to the chorus, Xbox One's integrated OneGuide is also something you may get mileage out of as it is basically a consolidated media guide for your subscribed streaming services (Netflix, Hulu, Crackle, etc.) and your cable/satellite box if you run that thru the Xbox One. If you have a TV tuner, you can run that thru the Xbox One as well and it will also be added to the OneGuide. The Xbox One also plays standard DVD's, BluRays, 3D BluRays and UHD discs.( It also plays games :) )

BTW, this post is not meant to marginalize the PS4 or PS4 Pro in any way. they are wonderful gaming machines and their VR abilities are amazing; but Sony is primarily focused on games and the PS4's media center capabilities are just not a high priority for them right now.

#12 ·
There is no question the XB1 S is now a better media platform and it's only going to get better with new features coming with DLNA 4.0 and Vidipath. This will be obvious to everyone starting 2018 and Sony will have to start supporting these features or they lose. Question for me is can the older PS4s support these media features?

The Consolidated media guide is a planned feature from most of the CE companies and the reason for the FCC DSTAC fight between the cable companies and CE companies over how Cable TV with out cablecard will be implemented. CE companies want cable to provide all information so that they can implement Cable TV inside their app with guide support for IPTV channels they offer or get a share of the revenues similar to Google TV's search feature.

#18 ·
If you have Atmos/DTS:X in your theater, the XBOX One can't output those modes. I use my PS4 for everything because I'm still 1080, but I have a DTS:X setup. When I get a 4K tv I'll get a second player to play Blu-Ray.

#20 ·
I still use my Ps3. Heck when my PS3 died, I had my PS4 for a year at that point, and because the PS4 is utter crap for media I grabbed a slim ps3 again. I've never used any of my xbox's for media. Just don't like the interface and the PS3 will do Atmos and I love Atmos.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.