PS4 all in one for home theater - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes
  • 1 Post By Marc Alexander
  • 2 Post By TonyDP
  • 1 Post By jeff_rigby
  • 1 Post By Marc Alexander
  • 1 Post By jeff_rigby
  • 1 Post By Quad5Ny
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 03-11-2017, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
SAM ZEOLI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
PS4 all in one for home theater

Hi, I had in my last home theater a PS3 which was fantastic because I could play blue ray movies, 3D movies, video games, netflix, ect. I even had a conventional remote with it in addition to the game controllers. I sold that house 3 years ago and am finishing up my new home theater in my new house. Can I use the PS4 in the same way? Will it play UHD discs as well as an OPPO? 3D? What are the cons of using a PS4 as a media center instead of getting an OPPO? Thx a lot! Sam
SAM ZEOLI is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 22 Old 03-11-2017, 09:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Marc Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 7,774
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked: 908
PS4 is a focused g aming platform, not a great media center.

Take a look at the Xbox One S which plays UHD discs and is more media focused. I suggest using the forum search and Google to find the answers to your basic questions regarding PS4, XB1 and Oppo capabilities.
Brian Hampton likes this.
Marc Alexander is online now  
post #3 of 22 Old 03-11-2017, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
SAM ZEOLI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
PS4 is a focused g aming platform, not a great media center.

Take a look at the Xbox One S which plays UHD discs and is more media focused. I suggest using the forum search and Google to find the answers to your basic questions regarding PS4, XB1 and Oppo capabilities.
Ok thx I'll check out the Xbox one S.
SAM ZEOLI is offline  
 
post #4 of 22 Old 03-11-2017, 02:56 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Ps4 will only play blu ray. Xb1s will do uhd. You can also route your cable box through it to enable some additionally functionality searching all sources. It'll output atmos too at some point too supposedly.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Ortizer is offline  
post #5 of 22 Old 03-12-2017, 05:14 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
SAM ZEOLI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ortizer View Post
Ps4 will only play blu ray. Xb1s will do uhd. You can also route your cable box through it to enable some additionally functionality searching all sources. It'll output atmos too at some point too supposedly.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Ok,so it sounds like I would need a stand alone player and an game player for my home theater. That's too bad, I was hoping for something like my old PS3 that did everything so we'll. thx Sam
SAM ZEOLI is offline  
post #6 of 22 Old 03-12-2017, 06:13 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAM ZEOLI View Post
Ok,so it sounds like I would need a stand alone player and an game player for my home theater. That's too bad, I was hoping for something like my old PS3 that did everything so we'll. thx Sam
Xb1 may be able to do that for you. They definitely tried to make it the media center. If you prefer ps4, which I wouldn't blame you in the least for (more interesting exclusive titles), yeah. You would need a separate player. Fwiw, I took that approach with the Xb1s as the "standalone player" since it is available for less than a 4k blu ray player sometimes.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Ortizer is offline  
post #7 of 22 Old 03-12-2017, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
SAM ZEOLI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ortizer View Post
Xb1 may be able to do that for you. They definitely tried to make it the media center. If you prefer ps4, which I wouldn't blame you in the least for (more interesting exclusive titles), yeah. You would need a separate player. Fwiw, I took that approach with the Xb1s as the "standalone player" since it is available for less than a 4k blu ray player sometimes.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Thx for your input Ortizer. Sam
SAM ZEOLI is offline  
post #8 of 22 Old 03-13-2017, 05:58 AM
Member
 
jeff_rigby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Sarasota Florida
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ortizer View Post
Ps4 will only play blu ray. Xb1s will do uhd. You can also route your cable box through it to enable some additionally functionality searching all sources. It'll output atmos too at some point too supposedly.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
This is true for the XB1 with the HDMI passthrough. Miracast and DLNA (renderer) are useless with a PS4 until the move to all IPTV with ATSC 3 and/or Cable moving to Vidipath. There is still a question of what the PS4 can DRM support and the power it requires while streaming media.

The XB1 S supports media up to UHD and with power levels near those required by Energystar and the EU for UHD blu-ray players. The PS4 at this time has a minimum of 50 watts for the Pro and 80 watts for the 2013 PS4 while playing media.

The efficientgaming.eu website now has a empty listing for 2016 compliance reports so those reports should be coming soon. Those 2016 compliance reports should have testing for the UHD capable modes mentioned for all PS4s in the 2015 compliance reports.

Sony calls ALL PS4s UHD Capable here:

Quote:
Signatory company Sony Interactive Entertainment Inc.
Model Name PlayStation 4
Model Number**CUH1116A (2013 PS4)
Type of Console Ultra High Definition Capable
Microsoft defines UHD content as follows:

Ultra-High Definition Content (UHD)
Ultra-High Definition content. This is generally defined as content with a resolution of 3840x2160 – i.e. 4K content. However, this may also be used to include content with any of these following advanced features: Early-window content, Enhanced Chroma (which could just be games + HDR which all PS4s support), Increased frame rate. See Full High Definition, Ultra-High Definition and Full 4K Content.

From what I understand of the 2018/2019 PS4/PS5, it should support low power UHD maybe up to 8K. There should be ATSC 3.0 TV stations in some markets in the US by 2018 and Vidipath should be supported by all 4K STBs and TVs given DLNA 4.0.

Last edited by jeff_rigby; 03-13-2017 at 06:38 AM.
jeff_rigby is offline  
post #9 of 22 Old 03-13-2017, 12:43 PM
Advanced Member
 
Ozymandis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Hagerstown, MD
Posts: 820
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 60
The other nice thing about Xbox One S is that it's far quieter as a media box compared to the PS4. I find myself using mine over the PS4 for watching stuff for this reason.
Ozymandis is offline  
post #10 of 22 Old 03-13-2017, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
SAM ZEOLI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thx guys
SAM ZEOLI is offline  
post #11 of 22 Old 03-13-2017, 08:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
TonyDP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 2,447
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Just to add to the chorus, Xbox One's integrated OneGuide is also something you may get mileage out of as it is basically a consolidated media guide for your subscribed streaming services (Netflix, Hulu, Crackle, etc.) and your cable/satellite box if you run that thru the Xbox One. If you have a TV tuner, you can run that thru the Xbox One as well and it will also be added to the OneGuide. The Xbox One also plays standard DVD's, BluRays, 3D BluRays and UHD discs.( It also plays games )

BTW, this post is not meant to marginalize the PS4 or PS4 Pro in any way. they are wonderful gaming machines and their VR abilities are amazing; but Sony is primarily focused on games and the PS4's media center capabilities are just not a high priority for them right now.
hockeynut and jeff_rigby like this.

Xbox Live: XboxPhantom
PSN: TonyDP

Last edited by TonyDP; 03-13-2017 at 08:36 PM.
TonyDP is offline  
post #12 of 22 Old 03-14-2017, 08:32 AM
Member
 
jeff_rigby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Sarasota Florida
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDP View Post
Just to add to the chorus, Xbox One's integrated OneGuide is also something you may get mileage out of as it is basically a consolidated media guide for your subscribed streaming services (Netflix, Hulu, Crackle, etc.) and your cable/satellite box if you run that thru the Xbox One. If you have a TV tuner, you can run that thru the Xbox One as well and it will also be added to the OneGuide. The Xbox One also plays standard DVD's, BluRays, 3D BluRays and UHD discs.( It also plays games )

BTW, this post is not meant to marginalize the PS4 or PS4 Pro in any way. they are wonderful gaming machines and their VR abilities are amazing; but Sony is primarily focused on games and the PS4's media center capabilities are just not a high priority for them right now.
There is no question the XB1 S is now a better media platform and it's only going to get better with new features coming with DLNA 4.0 and Vidipath. This will be obvious to everyone starting 2018 and Sony will have to start supporting these features or they lose. Question for me is can the older PS4s support these media features?

The Consolidated media guide is a planned feature from most of the CE companies and the reason for the FCC DSTAC fight between the cable companies and CE companies over how Cable TV with out cablecard will be implemented. CE companies want cable to provide all information so that they can implement Cable TV inside their app with guide support for IPTV channels they offer or get a share of the revenues similar to Google TV's search feature.
Marc Alexander likes this.
jeff_rigby is offline  
post #13 of 22 Old 03-14-2017, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Marc Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 7,774
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_rigby View Post
Sony will have to start supporting these features or they lose.
Lose what, the console war? I doubt it. I have both systems and very few games on XB1S. I think I can count their exclusives on one hand. Home theater war? I don't think everyone is happy with XB1S as a UHD disc player.

I am glad to see consoles like PS4 Pro and Project Scorpio (Dolby Vision support please). I think it signals the end of consoles as we know them and a PC-like model where all can play games but rendering resolution and graphical features depend on power.
Ozymandis likes this.
Marc Alexander is online now  
post #14 of 22 Old 03-15-2017, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member
 
Ozymandis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Hagerstown, MD
Posts: 820
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
Lose what, the console war? I doubt it. I have both systems and very few games on XB1S. I think I can count their exclusives on one hand. Home theater war? I don't think everyone is happy with XB1S as a UHD disc player.

I am glad to see consoles like PS4 Pro and Project Scorpio (Dolby Vision support please). I think it signals the end of consoles as we know them and a PC-like model where all can play games but rendering resolution and graphical features depend on power.
Yeah, the console war is over already, though in North America the Xbox is still competitive... but I don't think that the lack of media features on the PS4 is going to cost Sony much, if anything. I mean, the PS4 Pro, despite not having a UHD BR player, has done just fine. I find I use my PS4 more for games and my XB1S for streaming/movies... as a gamer I long ago resolved that we probably would never get one box to "do it all". Would be nice if Sony had better media features and was a little quieter, though, haha.
Ozymandis is offline  
post #15 of 22 Old 03-16-2017, 04:25 AM
Member
 
jeff_rigby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Sarasota Florida
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandis View Post
Yeah, the console war is over already, though in North America the Xbox is still competitive... but I don't think that the lack of media features on the PS4 is going to cost Sony much, if anything. I mean, the PS4 Pro, despite not having a UHD BR player, has done just fine. I find I use my PS4 more for games and my XB1S for streaming/movies... as a gamer I long ago resolved that we probably would never get one box to "do it all". Would be nice if Sony had better media features and was a little quieter, though, haha.
By 2018, for Media it's no longer the console war but the STB war with gaming a way to have a leg up on the competition. If you notice there are a number of new Game Consoles over the last few years and they all should support DLNA 4.0 thus ATSC 3.0 and Vidipath. The XB1 S is the first that also supports UHD Blu-ray and should support DLNA 4.0.

In 2011 I assumed this would occur with DLNA 2.0, Vidipath and ATSC 2.0 by 2014 but the CE industry and the FCC skipped ATSC 2.0. The leaked 2010 Xbox 720 power point was about features coming with ATSC 2.0 and a new Xbox 361 announced in the power point to support it. That Xbox 361 chipset which had rumors in 2011 that it went to forge was canceled.

End of 2018 or 2019 the Navi GPU and Zen CPU chipset will be the next PS4 and XB1 semi-custom SoC and both will have the same gaming performance and Media support. Do we start over or will older PS4s and XB1s also support DLNA 4.0, ATSC 3.0 and Vidipath? A hint might be Sony calling all PS4s UHD Capable and all PS4s supporting HD + HDR for games. Nearly all ATSC 3.0 content will be 1080P + HDR or lower resolution. Will a Vidipath server that down converts to 1080P HEVC 8 be required for the 2013 XB1? Can the 2013 & 2015 PS4s do this internally. are they DRM secure enough?
Ozymandis likes this.
jeff_rigby is offline  
post #16 of 22 Old 03-16-2017, 04:33 AM
Member
 
Quad5Ny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 187
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I would be weary of using the Xbox One for media playback. Throughout its lifetime the Xbox 360 had a bunch of REALLY weird issues with videos.
Brian Hampton likes this.
Quad5Ny is offline  
post #17 of 22 Old 03-25-2017, 03:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Brian Hampton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 8,009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 579 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quad5Ny View Post
I would be weary of using the Xbox One for media playback. Throughout its lifetime the Xbox 360 had a bunch of REALLY weird issues with videos.
It's Microsoft so a certain amount of instability has to be retained.

-Brian
Brian Hampton is offline  
post #18 of 22 Old 03-26-2017, 08:31 PM
Member
 
BlackLightning3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
If you have Atmos/DTS:X in your theater, the XBOX One can't output those modes. I use my PS4 for everything because I'm still 1080, but I have a DTS:X setup. When I get a 4K tv I'll get a second player to play Blu-Ray.

PSN - Escobar
Denon AVR-X3200W Fronts: Bowers and Wilkins 686 S2 Center: Bowers and Wilkins M1 Rears: Martin Logan Motion 4 Front Heights: Martin Logan Motion 2 Subwoofers: Definitive Technology Supercube 2000 and Martin Logan Dynamo 500
Panasonic 50S60
BlackLightning3 is offline  
post #19 of 22 Old 03-27-2017, 07:20 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLightning3 View Post
If you have Atmos/DTS:X in your theater, the XBOX One can't output those modes. I use my PS4 for everything because I'm still 1080, but I have a DTS:X setup. When I get a 4K tv I'll get a second player to play Blu-Ray.
They're supposedly patching that to add the support.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thenext...der/%3Famp%3D1

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Ortizer is offline  
post #20 of 22 Old 03-30-2017, 09:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
newfmp3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: NFLD, Canada
Posts: 4,432
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 253
I still use my Ps3. Heck when my PS3 died, I had my PS4 for a year at that point, and because the PS4 is utter crap for media I grabbed a slim ps3 again. I've never used any of my xbox's for media. Just don't like the interface and the PS3 will do Atmos and I love Atmos.
newfmp3 is offline  
post #21 of 22 Old Yesterday, 12:48 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I don't think the PS4 is a terrible media player, and it does do Atmos, but a standalone player will be better than both XBONE and PS4 (well, depending on the player).
rsnomar05 is offline  
post #22 of 22 Old Today, 02:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
NuSoardGraphite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Tucson AZ
Posts: 2,169
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 319
As far as I am concerned, the PS4's only weakness is the lack of UHD BD drive. They really should have put one in the Pro. But other than that, it works just fine as a media player.

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
NuSoardGraphite is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply PlayStation Area

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off