Join PS Plus ... now or in May ? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Elynsyon
post #1 of 9 Old 04-21-2017, 04:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 579 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Smile Join PS Plus ... now or in May ?

Hey,

I have the PS4, PS3 and PS Vita and lately have been getting more into gaming after putting it aside for years.

I bought a year PS Plus card locally (one of the old $49.99 type.) I don't have many PSN friends and I don't know if I will play online much so I guess I bought it for the games and discounts mostly.

I'm tempted to "save" it till May though ... is there any chance the PSPlus games next month will be better than they have been lately? ... Games this month look horrible and I think Sony has got a ton of bad feedback about the selection of what some people call "free" games... which are actually rented games but that's a different subject.

-Brian

Edit - I read about all this month's free games and curses n chaos is the only one I would DL... Maybe I should think more about online play as I don't think Sony is going to give worthwhile games to PS Plus members on a regular basis anyway. Last months games looked pretty bad also.

Last edited by Brian Hampton; 04-21-2017 at 07:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-21-2017, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 9
If you are not into indie games ALL THE TIME and do not play online, do not bother with PS Plus at the moment. The quality of the games you get is as low as it gets. Save your card for when the quality rises again...maybe when the Xbox Scorpio is released...
Brian Hampton likes this.
post #3 of 9 Old 04-21-2017, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Sounds good.

I worry about it a bit because I only have 2 friends on PSN and my experiences with jumping into random multiplayer games with strangers hasn't been fun.

Also,.. I have a lot of great games I need to catch up on or work through so getting a bunch of third rate games means I likely won't even download them. (In the case of Drawn to Death... I don't think I would even want it in my purchase history.)

I hope something good comes in May ... looking back on the previous months it seems that once in a while they feature a good one.

-Brian

post #4 of 9 Old 04-21-2017, 10:25 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Sony doesn't have a lot of reason to up the quality on free games now that they're the dominant platform; they've been about this level of quality for easily the last year-and-a-half. As a PS3 & Vita owner, though, you're more likely to get an occasional standout game just because you've got the broadest platform. Also, cloud saves are nice, both as a backup-in-case-of-catastrophe situation and if you wind up playing the same game on both Vita & PS3/4.

I'm not sure waiting gets you any benefits, but who knows what the future brings?
post #5 of 9 Old 04-21-2017, 05:41 PM

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I'm in the same boat ... bought a ps+ membership back in December and
been mostly waiting on a good free game or two. Haven't seen one yet !

I'm probably going to activate it in may though, and just try bf1 online...
post #6 of 9 Old 04-24-2017, 12:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked: 338
So far this generation, there have only been a few games on PS+ that I had any interest in. Galak Z (which is great) and Infamous First Light and Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeros. Transformers Devastation and InJustice 1. The indy game Furi is also pretty good. I haven't touched any of the other free games. The free games on PS3 were WAY better (I got Prototype 2 and the Tomb Raider reboot that way!!!)

I hope the selection gets better soon. There are some launch or near-launch games that should drop in there. Infamous. Knack. The Order 1886 (though I bought this one during the E3 sale last year for like $10). Bloodborne. Hopefully games like that will start to appear.

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
post #7 of 9 Old 04-24-2017, 01:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Agreed. With the PS4 requiring PS+ for online play in most games, the free games this gen are pretty lacklustre. Games with Gold for Xbox started out great, but now they've tailed off too. Ideally, I would get a gaming PC for the odd online multiplayer game (eg. Battlefront 2) and drop both subscriptions, but I don't like keyboard/mouse and would get smoked using a controller.
post #8 of 9 Old 04-26-2017, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Cool

May games announced and I like them ! ..(except the PS3 pirate one)

I'm glad I waited (though I'm still waiting...) ... I know however, the games included in PSPlus isn't really the draw... so I have to find PS friends and learn to play online .

Last edited by Brian Hampton; 04-26-2017 at 12:26 PM.
post #9 of 9 Unread Today, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
There are some other cool features to PS Plus that you might be interested in using:
-Auto backup of save games to the cloud
-Auto download of game updates to install while you're sleeping
-And some others

Personally I think $50/$60 per year is a decent price considering the free games, and you can often find deals for $45-$48 if you track the deals sites. I think it's worth it to just redeem the card and then keep it going, my current subscription is paid up til like 2021
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply PlayStation Area