Closed Thread

post #61 of 88 Old 10-26-2004, 05:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by FrankJ.Cone
Off topic but EEW the Green gem does not go well with Platinum.
:p

I don't think it's that bad. Originally I planned to use a dremel, cut out the jewel, fine sand it down, hook up some LED's. But then I started thinking..

a) I'm lazy
b) I'm untalented with tools
c) How much geekier that would be

It does the trick though, I get a lot of ooh's and ahh's when people come over. I just tell them it's a $1,000 debug unit from MS. (kidding) I let them know that I painted it, and they give me a funny look. A "boy, you have too much time on your hands" look.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 88 Old 10-26-2004, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Paint job looks SWEET! I do not mean to imply otherwise, I just find the green distracting.

Frank J. Cone

XBox Live / Steam: FCONE

Please do not form any opinion of the content of this post, it is still in BETA.

post #63 of 88 Old 10-26-2004, 05:19 PM

I painted it a couple years ago when I was laid off from my job. The look on my girlfriend and her sister's face when they came home was priceless. Me, on the floor, with my painted DC and Xbox all taken apart on the newspaper, drying.

I also decided to paint an old 21" CAD monitor I had lying around.

Yeah needless to say they were baffled.
post #64 of 88 Old 10-26-2004, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally posted by Darknight
Chris: I completely agree, the bottomline is the games. I just think my point was more that you're likely to have yourself covered if you pick up a PS2, especially if it's not just for you. It's the safe bet as I said. If it was someone picking a system for himself, then my suggestion would be on top of what I said to go look at the games themselves and see what interests you.
I totally understood where you were coming from and I was in total agreement. I just wanted to add a point of clarification for the original poster, who doesn't really have any experience with the current generation of consoles, so he could get his hands around this factor.

I think at this point he has more than enough info to make a decision. I would recommend that he go to a game store and take a look at the libraries and maybe try some games out before putting down cash though.

Panasonic 65" VT60 (calibrated by Jeff Meier), Marantz 6005, Kef Q towers/rears Kef Reference center, Win 7 Pro with XBMC, Harmony Ultimate One
Xbox Live: Arbitrage XXL
post #65 of 88 Old 10-26-2004, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you ChrisFB and Darknight, and every one else who has been so helpful. You all have been very generous with your opinions, and I did take everyone seriously (I've been flip-flopping more than *********!).

I guess I still might change my mind when I go to purchase, but I think I'll go with the new thin PS2 at BB. My niece has a PS2 and I like the future for the PS3.

I do think I have overthought it to death though, as the title implied.

I could use some advice on games.
I've picked up a few hints in some of the posts.

I figure on getting my 12 yr old one of the newer big games for @$40-$50.
Action/adventure or RPG - not sports or fps.

Then adding a couple value titles and 1 younger kids type game.

Thanks again.
post #66 of 88 Old 10-26-2004, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Swat_R2
Yeah, clearly no false advertising there :) Same thing with all the consoles though, here's PGR2 on the Xbox. I just played this last night, and while pretty.. not exactly up to snuff on this screenie:

http://www.xbox.com/media/games/proj...-pgr2-0002.jpg

So the next time a fanboi is all "oMG, you have to check out teh link, this gam is gona r0xxr!" take it with a grain of salt ;)
UH it does look like that. I seem to recall this

"I'm coming from a 6 year old 32" Sony Trinitron - with S-Video inputs. I haven't even sampled 480p yet, so this is the image I am used to."

The display device plays a huge part in the image. The ps2 looks like poison on my hdtv in most games. The jaggies just come alive.

Heres a nice link with some screen shot comparison stuff.

http://www.xboxyde.com/news_353_1038_1_en.html
post #67 of 88 Old 10-26-2004, 11:51 PM

That looks like a very high res PC screenshot without a trace of AA. I don't know if I need to get my eyes checked again, but my PGR2 didn't look that good when I played it last night.

From the link you provided, the first being the "render" and the second being the actual game image. While I have to admit, kudos to Bizarre for doing such a fantastic job on the graphics, there is a noticeable difference between the two.

http://media.xboxyde.com/gallery/public/213/1_0010.jpg

http://media.xboxyde.com/gallery/public/213/1_0008.jpg
post #68 of 88 Old 10-27-2004, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Oh yeah, I'm not biased as you can see in the pic, but out of those systems I own, the Xbox and GBA definitely get the most play. Not the purple one, that's delegated to one unlucky individual when we play four swords :-P

dude....seriously....get the black one or the platinum one. its extremely lazy-guy friendly. i've got a black one on my unmodded xbox....

http://www.gameconsoleskins.com/categories.asp?cid=27
post #69 of 88 Old 10-27-2004, 07:53 AM

Thanks MinisterVado, I had forgotten about that site.. I just might pick up a couple of those..
post #70 of 88 Old 10-27-2004, 11:45 AM

Quote:
That looks like a very high res PC screenshot without a trace of AA. I don't know if I need to get my eyes checked again, but my PGR2 didn't look that good when I played it last night.

From the link you provided, the first being the "render" and the second being the actual game image. While I have to admit, kudos to Bizarre for doing such a fantastic job on the graphics, there is a noticeable difference between the two.

http://media.xboxyde.com/gallery/public/213/1_0010.jpg

http://media.xboxyde.com/gallery/public/213/1_0008.jpg
This is true but the aa is pretty much the only difference as the blurring is from an analog screen capture.

"Kudos to bizarre" was that pun intentional? (kudos being the points in the game)

BTW the pretty ones are usually not pc screenshots. The xbox devkit has a special screenshot mode that freezes the game and ups the resolution. This type of trick will be available to regular ps2 owners in gt4
post #71 of 88 Old 10-27-2004, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally posted by MinisterVado
dude....seriously....get the black one or the platinum one. its extremely lazy-guy friendly. i've got a black one on my unmodded xbox....

http://www.gameconsoleskins.com/categories.asp?cid=27
Alright! I am so painting my black XBox so it matches the DVD player and receiver its next to. Now if I could only paint the ugly HDTV DVR It would all match.

Frank J. Cone

XBox Live / Steam: FCONE

Please do not form any opinion of the content of this post, it is still in BETA.

post #72 of 88 Old 10-27-2004, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by FrankJ.Cone
Alright! I am so painting my black XBox so it matches the DVD player and receiver its next to. Now if I could only paint the ugly HDTV DVR It would all match.
Frank.. do it.. it's addicting :) Once you paint your Xbox, chances are you'll start eyeing up the rest of the room looking for other electronics to paint. Just be reasonable, too much silver is never a good thing. This coming from a guy who went silver crazy, and is now leaning back towards the "black" look :-P
post #73 of 88 Old 10-27-2004, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MAX_POWER_HDryer
This is true but the aa is pretty much the only difference as the blurring is from an analog screen capture.

"Kudos to bizarre" was that pun intentional? (kudos being the points in the game)

BTW the pretty ones are usually not pc screenshots. The xbox devkit has a special screenshot mode that freezes the game and ups the resolution. This type of trick will be available to regular ps2 owners in gt4
"Kudos to Bizarre" wasn't intentional, but damn that's a great pun :) Groaner I know..

The last time I've seen anything that buttery smooth was with my vid card cranked to 8xAA at 1280+ resolution. That's why I said it looked like a PC shot.

I didn't realize the Xbox dev kits had the capibility to output a higher resolution screen dump. As for GT4? Sounds.. odd..
post #74 of 88 Old 10-28-2004, 05:13 PM

glad i could be of some assistance. they've got jewels for the xbox controllers, too.
post #75 of 88 Old 10-30-2004, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally posted by jm_etue
A small grain of salt. I think the non AA screen shot still looks great.

Do most of you favor ultimate graphics quality to smooth game play?

What about the other less tangibles like game depth, hardware durability and reliability, and support?

Personally, I want both if at all possible. I try to be very discriminating when I buy my games. I listen to people on this forum and others, along with reading every review I can get my hands on.

I doubt there is very little difference statistically in durability between platforms. All have their problems I'm sure; but at this stage I doubt you pick up many lemons from MS, Nintendo, or Sony.

Game depth is particular to the title I think- not the platform. Insofar as depth of gameplay is concerned, I think I can say that Sony probably has the upper hand in the RPG genre, at least over MS. I've heard that Fable is a pretty short game relatively speaking. Then again, I'm just going on hearsay because I have no first hand experience.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling that thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a...
post #76 of 88 Old 10-30-2004, 05:23 PM

Fable is a short game, it took me 10-12 hours to play through the first time. But it has tons of replayability, there's a lot of different ways to play through it. It's a great game that will no doubt spawn a few sequals that improve in a few areas.

If you love RPG's it's a no-brainer, PS2 has that area almost completely cornered (with a few stand-out exceptions on the other platforms of course).
post #77 of 88 Old 10-31-2004, 01:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Fable is a short game, it took me 10-12 hours to play through the first time. But it has tons of replayability, there's a lot of different ways to play through it. It's a great game that will no doubt spawn a few sequals that improve in a few areas.

If you love RPG's it's a no-brainer, PS2 has that area almost completely cornered (with a few stand-out exceptions on the other platforms of course).

It wouldn't suprise me if eventually they have some updated maps and such available on Live. Apparently sales have been fairly strong so far.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling that thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a...
post #78 of 88 Old 10-31-2004, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter

I've got a short list of games I've been researching:

RPG: Final Fantasy X
Puzzle: Katamari Damacy
Action: Prince of Persia
Driving: Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec

and I'll get the Namco Museum game (Ms. Pac-Man, Galaga & Dig Dug) for me!
post #79 of 88 Old 10-31-2004, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Jim, the games you have selected sound good and I can personally say that FFX is a great game. You might also want to look at Sly Cooper which is one of the best platformers on the PS2. I would also recommend Final Fantasy Chronicles, which includes the games Chrono Trigger and FF4, and Chrono Cross as two great PS1 games. Both should be available used for no more than $15 each. I consider Chrono Trigger to be one of the greatest RPGs ever made and its sequel Chrono Cross is also very good.
post #80 of 88 Old 12-08-2004, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I've got a short list of games I've been researching:

RPG: Final Fantasy X
Puzzle: Katamari Damacy
Action: Prince of Persia
Driving: Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec

and I'll get the Namco Museum game (Ms. Pac-Man, Galaga & Dig Dug) for me!
Just thought I would update you with what I ended up getting:

A Sony PS2 (thin) from BB
:) 8MB Memory Card
:D FFX
;) GT3
:p & Katamari Damacy

Thanks again to everyone
post #81 of 88 Old 12-10-2004, 11:34 PM - Thread Starter

I know the first thing my 12 year old daughter will want is a hints and cheats website.

Are there any safe sites I could let her on without being concerned?
post #82 of 88 Old 12-11-2004, 12:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Gamefaqs is a good site with cheats, tricks, and walkthroughs for basically every game made in the past ten years. Besides the advertisements for GTA and other such games I have never seen anything to be concerned with on the site. Gamefaqs has an incredible number of walkthroughs and FAQs for FFX.
post #83 of 88 Old 12-11-2004, 06:28 PM

Gamespot has cheats and walkthroughs for some games but most lead to Gamefaqs also. Gamefaqs is an excellent website for FAQs for just about any game. I use it all the time.

-James
post #84 of 88 Old 12-11-2004, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks!
post #85 of 88 Old 12-31-2004, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter

Woops!

I went out and bought a cheap ($20) racing wheel for GT3 that doesn't seem to work - did I get what I paid for?

What reasonably priced PS2 Racing wheels are any good?
post #86 of 88 Old 12-31-2004, 10:45 PM
AVS Special Member

I bought the Logitech Driving Force wheel way back for GT3. Frankly, never got a feel for it, and finished the game using the gamepad instead. Forget about the thought of putting it in your lap. You have to have a table to mount the wheel on, which also contributed to the "gamepad works fine" idea.

The new Driving Force Pro wheel for GT4 looks very interesting with the full 900 degree turning. I think the limited turning angle of the GT3 wheel made it quicker than I was wanting, which is probably why it was always overreacting for me. So this one might be worth looking into for me. But it is $150. And it doesn't solve my need for a tilted card table in front of my couch.

www.gamefaqs.com is definitely the place for hints and cheats.

The Namco collection is fun. I also like the Midway collection (Spy Hunter, Joust, Rampart, Marble Madness). The Activision collection is good too (Chopper Command, Enduro, Pitfall, River Raid); the interesting part are some of the game play modes that turn the challenge level way up, and a good 80's music collection.

If you want a flight combat game, Ace Combat 4 (I've got 4 and 5, and I'd say play 4, if you only played one).
post #87 of 88 Old 01-01-2005, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Am I just not going to be happy with a racing wheel on GT3, or is there a way to adjust it so it's not so twitchy?

I've had two adults gush over Kingdom Hearts; they said they liked it more than FF-X. But I knew my soon-too-be teenager might think I was bying a baby game for her. She seems to like FF-x just fine.
post #88 of 88 Old 01-03-2005, 10:11 AM

Quote:
I've had two adults gush over Kingdom Hearts; they said they liked it more than FF-X. But I knew my soon-too-be teenager might think I was bying a baby game for her. She seems to like FF-x just fine.
then just get Kingdom Hearts for yourself.
Closed Thread PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page