Socom II / PS2 question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 11-19-2004, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Samsung HLP screen hooked up to my PS2 with component cables. In the menu for Socom there is a display option that you can change from 480i to 480p. I changed it to progressive and saved it to my memory card and voila, beautiful 480p. When I shut down the PS2 and restart Socom, before it loads anything I get a green screen which asks if I want 480p turned on. I select yes then I flickers and gives me another green box that asks if I want to keep the setting. If I dont respond quick enough it goes back to 480i. This stinks on numerous levels, most of the time I turn on the PS2 and do something else while the game loads up, but now I have to answer these questions before the game even loads, kinda stupid. Anyone else have this problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-19-2004, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes , you just have to do it ....sorry.

The Spiral Staircase Theater Build Thread
zxlr88- Xbox live and PS Network
post #3 of 7 Old 12-28-2004, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

What sucks even more is when you get dropped from online play, then you have to wait for this screen before the game even loads. I wish that the button commands on the PS2 controller could be emulated by a universal remote. Then, I would write a macro for that crap so when I turn the game on its ready to be played.
post #4 of 7 Old 12-28-2004, 11:33 AM

Yes thats the way it always is. Both SOCOM and SOCOM 2 are like that, I have been playing them since they came out no way to change as far as I know.
post #5 of 7 Old 12-28-2004, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Fj merlin....thet could be done with a wireless controller. (infrared)

I have played Halo 2 online and other shooters, but for some reason, I just keep coming back to socom.....I must be sick. Socom is jst so deep and the gameplay is soooooo addicting. I liked Ghost Recon and the Rainbow Six 3 but it did not have the depth.....I guess it is a hopeless case. There is just nothing quite as satisfying as being the only person alive on Desert Glory and killing 5 guys in a row to pull off the victory. I can almost hear them in the lobby complaining about some kind of cheat or lag.....ahhh, good times.

The Spiral Staircase Theater Build Thread
zxlr88- Xbox live and PS Network
post #6 of 7 Old 03-02-2005, 07:08 PM

The post is a bit old, but I'll answer anyway. What you describe is not a problem, per se, but a design decision made by Sony. The reasoning is that if you ever switch to a non-progressive display, you won't be able to see anything, and won't be able to select interlaced again. If the progressive setting were made persistent, imagine deciding to move your PS2 to the bedroom TV, or sell it to someone else, or take it over to your friend's house. If you forgot to first switch back to interlaced - while still connected to a progressive display - you'd be kinda hosed.

Granted, there may have been other ways to approach this problem, but reverting to interlaced as a lowest-common-denominator seems reasonable.
post #7 of 7 Old 03-03-2005, 12:21 AM

Just wait for socom 3, hopefully they will have a faster game engine to speed things up.
Closed Thread PlayStation Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page