Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #31 of 53 Old 12-17-2004, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For the record, the FAQ in that GA thread was done up pre-launch. It's Sony's official statement on what the battery life is. Despite that being the official line though, several people who are extremely credible, DCharlie, JohnTV, etc have gotten similiar if not better battery life out of the system. The two threads I gave you have very very credible and respectible people that show their stats that contradict Gamespots and push that Sony's claims are not only true but even better than expected. Enough people have said it. Heck just the other day even Gamespot said their battery lasted the entire flight back from Japan to SF in their video show. The only thing that hasn't been fully stressed tested is the Wi-Fi battery life, but then again I haven't actively looked for the stats on that. That being said, a 4-6 hour battery life is not only what was promised to us, it has been met and is reasonable for a product of this type. Would I like longer battery life, of course. 10 hours would be ideal, but I'm honestly surprised it lasts as long as it does.

Of course there are going to be defective units though which is why I take most of these problems with a grain of salt other than the dead pixels because it seems to be the most common issue given the number of reports. The other issues though are silly. I have yet to see any evidence that it is beyond a handful of cases. I've read through both the praise and detractors of the system and from all that I can tell, Sony has not only delivered what they promised, but they exceeded it in many aspects.

I don't think the PSP is as flawed as you seem to think it is, nor is the launch line up weak. The DS, now that's a weak line up, but the PSP line up is pretty strong for a launch. Stronger than most launches. They have a lot of games at just the Japanese release, and many of them are at least solid titles with some of them being actually really good titles. Outside of maybe a GT4 launch, what else could you honestly expect in the launch line up? What to you is a strong library to have at launch?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 53 Old 12-17-2004, 04:15 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 13
I got mine from Play-Asia yesterday. Since life goes on even when a new toy arrives, I haven't been able to use it for more than a 1/2 hour at a time. Here are a few random thoughts:

- I do have 2 stuck pixels. You can only see them in the darkest of screens so they don't bother me much. I'm a techno geek so I'm familiar with pixel problems and don't expect a replacement for only one or 2 dead/stuck ones (given the pixel policy followed by most LCD manufacturers).

- The UMD design is poorly conceived. Having an open gap that exposes the optical disc is just asking for damage. Why protect only part of it? It almost assumes that you will be keeping the games in their retail cases even when you're on the go. Given Sony's own MD disc design, I can't see how this was overlooked. I don't know if the UMD can be redeisgned without changing the PSP hardware. For those not familiar with MDs, when you insert one into a portable player, a mechanism inside the player that automatically slides back the protective metal cover that protects the optical disc inside the MD plastic case. The metal cover is spring loaded so that it automatically slides back in place when the MD is ejected.

- I got the value pack. Seriously fellas, white accessories to go with my sleek new shiny BLACK PSP? What genious thought that this was a good idea? Was someone thinking about the iPod? Also, as stated in the IGN's value paqck review, the headphones are crap and the remote feels pretty cheap. the carrying case is not too bad, however. While it does leave one side exposed, the fit is snug (I kind of got the impression from IGN's review that the fit was too snug). Also, it stays on well as one of the corners on the open end is sewn closed to hold the unit inside the case.

- Yes, 32MB is crap for photos, video and/or music storage but it's fine for game saves only. Besides, how many devices that come with flash memory these days come with anything bigger than a 16MB or 32MB stick? Given the retail price of the unit, 32MB isn't too bad. Deals can be had for MS Duo in a variety of sizes. I picked up a 512MB SanDisk MS Pro Duo for $90 at my local Compusa.

- As for the twist to open UMD defect, let me ask - who the hell is twisting their unit on purpose? I don't know about other people, but I'm treating my new toy pretty gingerly. I can see where you could do that but I haven't felt like the unit is prone to twisting during normal gameplay. This one seems a bit too nitpicky.

- The analog nub is certainly different from the dual shock analog sticks but I like it. You have better steering control in Ridge Racers using it. The spring that pulls the nub back to center seems a touch stiff. That could lead to precision issues. What becomes interesting is how it's implemented in other games. If I push the nub all the way in one direction, I can easily move it all the way around in a circle. However, If I only push it halfway out then try to make a circle, the stiffness of the centering spring makes that difficult to do. This last action is very easy to do on the dual shock analog stick, by comparison. Like I said, it just depends on how you would use the stick in various games.

- I'm not concerned about battery life. It's a portable system and every portable system has battery limitations. I wish I could get a desktop replacement laptop that ran for 10-12 hours without a recharge but we aren't there yet with battery technology. An easily swappable battery is fine with me. I can see the point about WiFi use and how you can't really swap a battery out then. But hey, that's the tradeoff for a wireless standard that allows not only local network play but play over the internet as well.

- The battery cover is not the best design I've seen. I haven't had any problems with it falling off, but it is more difficult to put it on properly then I think it should be. This also makes quick battery swap outs a bit more cumbersome due to the design.

- No D-pad clicking or any other problems related to it that I've seen.

- Smudging is an issue. For people who are anal or who have OCD, this could be very annoying. The same quality that makes it look so slick also makes it prone to fingerprints. It's kind of like a black car - it looks great when clean but can easily look dirty. Thankfully, these days there are more than a few soft cleaning cloths you can throw in with your eventual carrying case (several are sure to be released that will hold the PSP, games, extra battery pack, etc).

After all is said and done I still love it. It's sleek and sexy and the screen is gorgeous. Ridge Racers gives you a real showing of what it can do and I love what I see so far. For me, this is a game machine with occasional use for picture display and rare music use. I'm an iPod man for my music and now my photos too (the iPod photo is my other new toy). Yes, there are some design issues especially considering that the device is a portable one. Battery life will almost certainly be tweaked and battery backpacks are sure to be released by third parties. Hopefully, the UMD exposure issue can be addressed by something other than protective carrying cases.

It's not perfect but it is a damn fine first product by Sony for the portable gaming market.

Jeff

I'm nerdy in the extreme, I'm whiter than sour cream...
post #33 of 53 Old 12-17-2004, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Darknight
[

Because the pad has no tilt to it. It's more like a circular disc that slides in any direction. It's truly analog but feels different because of this. If you've played with an NES Max controller, its got a similar style sliding disc.
Perk!

I LOVED that controller.
post #34 of 53 Old 12-17-2004, 04:41 PM

Great review rgbyhkr, that was one of the most unbiased looks at the machine I've read. It's nice to hear the D-Pad doesn't make the clicking sound I heard about.

So has the UMD shot out yet? :D Kidding.. the first thing I thought when I saw the video was - why would you want to twist your PSP? I haven't twisted any of my other handhelds like that yet.

Headrusch and Darknight, some great posts as well - and I know you have a few more sources in the industry DK so I have a pretty good respect for your reviews.

Ridge Racer, GT4 as launch titles don't do it for me, and I have to find out more about Metal Gear Acid before I make a decision about that. I'm very tempted to put down a pre-order just to test out the quality/life and see how comfortable I am with that.

That being said, for such a weak lineup, the DS is an equally amazing machine - Nintendo's 3rd party support is quite large this round, and the Squeenix/Nintendo Online collaberation sounds very interesting. A big announcement is expected in March (suprise suprise) which hints towards an Online service maybe? Seems to go hand in hand with the MP:H release.. hmm..

It's a great time to be a gamer, and I'm still reeling from all the quality releases we've been hit with the past month or so. The only real problem is finding free time to play them all ;)
post #35 of 53 Old 12-17-2004, 06:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

Swat,

Thanks for the complement. I tried to be objective and point out the things I noticed. Some of them were good, some were bad. I don't see any reason to try and overblow things even if I was completely biased one way or the other. The PSP will survive and do just fine regardless of how many people rave or rant about it.

I actually have had a DS since it's launch and do enjoy it. That thumb strap is not for me, though. I'm hoping some 3rd party comes out with abetter alternative as the stylus isn't a realistic alternatives for some games.

Like so many other people, I'm glad to see realistic competition in the portable market. Cell phone games are so so and the N Gage, even the new one, is still not a great portable system. I tried out the original N Gage and promptly returned it.

What excites me about Sony coming in is their focus on an older demographic. It's pretty clear that Nintendo has been focusing on the under 18 age group for their portable sales. They may make a change with the DS, but we'll have to wait and see what titles they bring to the DS over time.

To me, the PSP is clearly geared towards an older group of players. Sony built their gaming business from scratch with the PS by focusing on older gamers who have more disposable income. I have no doubt that so many of the hits which have continued to make the PS2 popular will find their way to the PSP. Novel play is great, but there are lots of gamers out there who would be satisfied only with portable versions of their favorite console titles. I never seem to have enough time to play GTA on my PS2, but on my PSP, that changes things a bit...

Jeff

post #36 of 53 Old 12-17-2004, 06:44 PM

I agree rgbyhkr, I'm glad Nintendo is finally being challenged. Price wars are to be expected, and there will be a heavy push to get some great exclusive titles. I highly doubt the PSP will have trouble selling when it hits the NA and Euro markets.

It still blows my mind to think how technically advanced both systems are. 16:9 AR LCD, Touchscreen, Dual-LCD, Voice Recognition, Wireless, WiFi Internet. Amazing times.. even the N-Gage which has received so much heat in the past is finally getting recognition with that popular MMO-esque title.

Nintendo will do well to cater to the young crowd, as well as gamers who are interested in unique titles. Playing a game like Feel the Magic and you can just see the pent up creativity that could be released. Yes, this is the first time I've ever played a game where I've had to blow out candles with my own breath, yell to get a girl's attention, and "hold her hand" by gently moving it back and forth. Problem is, the launch titles were rushed and it shows. I refuse to buy any game that uses the features as a mere "afterthought" - any game I buy will have to make excellent use of the features, or else I'll feel like I'm just playing a regular old game.

Sony on the other hand has a sexy beast of a machine, that makes you giggle like you do at the expensive Plasma screens you see in the AV stores. For lack of a better word, it's pure butter. It may not bring new gameplay to the table, but it has some serious potential to bring the games you love with you on the road.

Here's hoping both handhelds receive the Online treatment sooner rather than later.

A couple questions as you have the system in front of you:

- How good is Ridge Racer as a game as opposed to a system "demonstration" of the PSP capabilities?. Is it worth $50 or so bucks as a launch title? Can you see yourself playing it for many months to come?

- How bright is the screen say, with the lights turned off, and on the highest setting (battery, not plugged in) The SP was a freaking light cannon and could double as a flashlight in the dark :D

- An IGN reviewer said to test the plastic coating he nicked one of the corners and it left a noticeable mark - just by tapping the screen, do you have a good feel on the protective coating?

- Do you notice the UMD drive when it's accessing data? Ie. reading noises, laser movement, system getting warm.

- How good is the sound quality? Is it very loud without the headphones?

- When you have your PSP and DS side by side getting charged up, do you stop for a second, and think "Damn. I am a gaming pimp." ? :D
post #37 of 53 Old 12-18-2004, 06:17 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally posted by Swat_R2
- How good is Ridge Racer as a game as opposed to a system "demonstration" of the PSP capabilities?. Is it worth $50 or so bucks as a launch title? Can you see yourself playing it for many months to come?
To be honest, I've never been a huge racing game fan. I have owned the occasional NFS and the first the GT titles, but I don't get into racing sims like I do other games. The graphics are great and the driving physics are fun enough to make you want to keep playing. It definitely is a good first use of the analog nub. It's kept me interested but I don't know if that's mostly because the Tiger title isn't out yet. My favorites over the last few years have been football games (Madden and NCAA), Tiger and various RPGs with a few FPSs here and there.

Quote:
- How bright is the screen say, with the lights turned off, and on the highest setting (battery, not plugged in) The SP was a freaking light cannon and could double as a flashlight in the dark :D
With the right background (like the white used for the picture display mode), it is very bright under the conditions you mentioned. I was able to see around in a dark room just fine using the PSP as the light source.

Quote:
- An IGN reviewer said to test the plastic coating he nicked one of the corners and it left a noticeable mark - just by tapping the screen, do you have a good feel on the protective coating?
I'm not quite sure I understand this one. Do you have a link so I can see exactly what the guy from IGN said? I looked for that on the IGN PSP site, but didnt find it.

Quote:
- Do you notice the UMD drive when it's accessing data? Ie. reading noises, laser movement, system getting warm.
I have noticed it accessin, but it does so intermittently. It defnitely isn't a constant and doesn't distract from play as I've only noticed it when you would expect (loading screens, etc). As for the system getting warm, that I haven't noticed. I guess the place it would be most likely to get warm is the middle but since you hold the unit on the ends, you aren't touching it there. Either way, I haven't noticed it getting warm.

Quote:
- How good is the sound quality? Is it very loud without the headphones?
The volume is pretty good from such small speakers. Fine for personal listening use when it's right next to you or when you are holding it. I wouldn't try to use it as my personal stereo of course. As you would expect, the bass response is non-existent from the built-in speakers.

From the headphone jack, the sound quality is just fine. I'm not using the crap included headphones. I have a pair of Bose QC2s as well as a pair of ER 6is that I usually use with my iPod. Using them with Ridge Racer was great as the soundtrack on that game really drew me in to the races. I also tried a few MP3s I transferred to the MS and was pleased with the sound output from the headphones.

Quote:
- When you have your PSP and DS side by side getting charged up, do you stop for a second, and think "Damn. I am a gaming pimp." ? :D
Nah, I consider myself more of a gaming ho. :D

post #38 of 53 Old 12-19-2004, 02:51 PM

Well, after the experiences of the PS1 and PS2, I've learned my lesson. I am not getting the first generation of any Sony gaming hardware, period. I'd feel more comfortable with a drop-kicked DS then a new out of the box PSP.

Fool me once- shame on you. Fool me, fool me -- you can't get fooled again.
post #39 of 53 Old 12-19-2004, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hmm... I think you got your saying wrong. "The Daily Show" printed it as such:

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, uh.... the fu... the fuma can't be fooled again.

Don't think of it as screendoor, it's more like an infinite game of tic tac toe.
post #40 of 53 Old 12-19-2004, 04:33 PM

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

That saying has been around for ages. I think it originated in a Fortune Cookie myself.

Back on Topic, there's a very good 30 minute Gamespot Live Weekly show where they demo the PSP. The best hands-on coverage I've seen yet. I have to warn you though, the main guy sounds so fanboyish about the PSP, I swore I saw his hands down his pants at one point.

PSP Gamespot

Anyone else notice how freaking greasy his screen was?

Wi-Fi Ridge Racer looked very awesome.
post #41 of 53 Old 12-19-2004, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

That saying has been around for ages. I think it originated in a Fortune Cookie myself.

Back on Topic, there's a very good 30 minute Gamespot Live Weekly show where they demo the PSP. The best hands-on coverage I've seen yet. I have to warn you though, the main guy sounds so fanboyish about the PSP, I swore I saw his hands down his pants at one point.

PSP Gamespot

Anyone else notice how freaking greasy his screen was?

Wi-Fi Ridge Racer looked very awesome.
I think we all know the real saying, but in case you don't know what we were saying, it comes from a speech that George Bush gave where he tried to say it, and screwed it up really badly. I saw that video a couple of days ago.The dude with the afro seemed very indifferent about the whole thing. He was completely unbiased and mentioned the good and the bad aspects. Now, the guy who was jumped up on speed and crytal meth is a different story. At around 2:49 he almost drops the PSP and once he gets a good grip on it, he slams it down next to him. they mentions that 1 out of their 3 PSP's had 1 dead pixel which sounds about right. And yes, the screen looked like they rubbed it in baby oil... nasty.

Don't think of it as screendoor, it's more like an infinite game of tic tac toe.
post #42 of 53 Old 12-20-2004, 08:11 PM
Advanced Member

I received 2 units last week. One from Play Asia and the other from my friend who's staying in Japan.

The unit I kept has ZERO dead pixels on it. The battery life is good (for a handheld system with a screen this big and bright). I get about 5 and a half hours of gaming (playing Ridge Racers).

I'm getting more games next week so I can see the difference of battery life between various games...
post #43 of 53 Old 12-20-2004, 10:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

^^^Nice! I hope I have your same luck. So I finally graduated from College and I thought I would pull the trigger on an import PSP as a little pat on the back :) Anyway, SWAT, some of the crucial questions you had about the PSP's battery life have been answered on IGN (wi-fi, full brightness, full volume, etc.) This is the best and most comprehensive battery test I've read and I hope you guys read it because it should answer future questions about battery life...

http://psp.ign.com/articles/574/574557p1.html?fromint=1

post #44 of 53 Old 12-20-2004, 10:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Congratulations on graduating...

Welcome to the world of Taxes, mortgages, and staying up nights worrying about when your job is going to be pulled out from underneath you :)

My suggestion to you: Marry a career woman, then move back in with relatives and stay there for as long as is humanly possible :D

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #45 of 53 Old 12-20-2004, 10:45 PM

Awesome, thanks for the link newsguy - and being a Canadian I forgot about the George Bush misquote, wow.. never a dull moment when he's around to fumble the words eh? ;)

Congrats on the graduating bit, you deserve to treat yourself to some nice time off and relaxation. And it never hurts to get drunk a few times while your body can still take it..
post #46 of 53 Old 12-21-2004, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the "warm wishes" guys :D I'll make sure to post my impressions and answer whatever questions you might have. My concern is that I don't recieve a lemon. So far I have seen people who have a PSP that's flawless, but there are a couple of nightmare posts I have read where everything was bad out of the box. With the shortage, I imagine that there would be quite a wait for exchanges.

post #47 of 53 Old 12-21-2004, 10:50 PM
Advanced Member

I can say that most of the units out have little to no problems...I've heard some horror stories, but they're few and far in between.

The second one I sold on eBay I had to open and test the screen becuse I recieved various emails asking about dead pixels and dust under the screen. It had none...
post #48 of 53 Old 12-22-2004, 08:09 AM

Really silly question, mainly because I am simply not up to date on the whole thing. Do we have a expected price for the us launch, beacasue if its ~400 or so I am simply going to go and import one. I have seen them running around 480-490 or so. Also one of the reviews said when you boot the machine for the first time you can pick english or japanese straight out of the box has anyone confirmed this.
post #49 of 53 Old 12-22-2004, 09:14 AM

We'll know in January, there's speculation ranging from $149 - $179 for the base model. Based on the Yen conversion the current price is around the $180 mark, but typically the Japanese price is a bit higher.

If they were smart they would eat it and compete directly with the DS at $149.

So you might want to think twice about importing - you won't be able to play local UMD movies and you'll be paying enough to buy 3 PSP's.

Then again, there's some speculation that the March date is just a place-marker for their fiscal year end, and it will launch (ala hw fixes, etc) in the US Q4 2005.
post #50 of 53 Old 12-24-2004, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Alright, the PSP arrived today. Thankfully I have no stuck or dead pixels. There is something that looks like a dead pixel, but at different angles it disappears, so I'm guessing it's a spec of trapped dust. Everything I can talk about has been said before, so I'll just say this: Nothing can prepare you for the beauty of this screen. Screenshots don't do it justice, it's simply awesome, and the highest brightness (without being plugged in) is more than you'll ever need.

post #51 of 53 Old 12-24-2004, 06:16 PM

Cool, thanks for the info. I placed my name on the list at my local shop so I should get it the first days its out. Please keep us up to date as to when it will be released.

This will be my first sony system, never liked the playstation (1 or 2) much and bought a dreamcast and never looked back.
post #52 of 53 Old 01-06-2005, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

What's better than watching Ashley Simpson getting booed?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...y/e2faf3eb.jpg

post #53 of 53 Old 01-09-2005, 07:02 AM

I waited in line for four hours in the freezing rain on launch day in the Akihabara district to get a PSP and it was so worth it.

The PSP is the most impressive piece of gaming hardware that I have ever seen.
Closed Thread PlayStation Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page