Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 53 Old 12-09-2004, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The PSP launches in Japan this Sunday. Sony held an auction that gave away early PSP's in order to fund victims of an earthquake. Those who've recieved the early Hardware (including IGN and Gamespot) have been giving the system high marks. Games won't be out until Sunday so all of the previews talk about playing the UMD demo disc which comes bundled with the PSP. All it has is movie and game trailers though. The battery life seems to be a little higher than speculated, about 4 hours for UMD movies with full brightness and 3/4 volume. Sony also has some final builds of games for play in Japan and early impressions suggest that the load times will be troublesome. Ridge racers takes about 20 seconds to load up from powering up and getting into a race takes about 12 seconds to load. Other games have similar load times. While this isn't a deal breaker for myself because many of the PS2 launch titles had ridiculous load times, it will be annoying considering it's a handheld. Sorry I don't have links to this stuff, but it's a compilation of a few websites like play asia, lik sang and the major sites like IGN and Gamespot. Can't wait for March to get mine.

Don't think of it as screendoor, it's more like an infinite game of tic tac toe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 Old 12-09-2004, 05:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 13
I've had my pre-order in with Play-Asia since the first day they opened them up. Hopefully, mine will ship out Monday and I'll have it by weeks end. I'll certainly post my thoughts and impressions.

The games I have on order are Ridge Racers and Vampire Chronicles. I also have Tiger pre-ordered but while it hasn't officially been delayed, I don't expect it to be available for the launch. I also ordered an extra battery pack.

Play-Asia will be sending out an availability e-mail to all those who pre-prdered this weekend. Hopefully, my order will be filled with their first batch of units. I'll keep you folks posted.

Jeff

I'm nerdy in the extreme, I'm whiter than sour cream...
post #3 of 53 Old 12-09-2004, 06:47 PM

We have a PSP dev kit in the office and I was playing around with a PSP this afternoon. Amazingly cool. The screen is SO large and clear and bright... :)
post #4 of 53 Old 12-09-2004, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jakobud
We have a PSP dev kit in the office and I was playing around with a PSP this afternoon. Amazingly cool. The screen is SO large and clear and bright... :)
Huh? That's pretty awesome. From the pictures of the Japanese one it looks like an incredibly sexy piece of hardware.

Don't think of it as screendoor, it's more like an infinite game of tic tac toe.
post #5 of 53 Old 12-09-2004, 10:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Going through some of the videos from play-asia I wasn't to keen on the orange menu screens for the system. I hope that's something you can change in the menu settings. I'm still pretty big on the whole silver/blue combo.

later,
mk
post #6 of 53 Old 12-10-2004, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by eclipz
Going through some of the videos from play-asia I wasn't to keen on the orange menu screens for the system. I hope that's something you can change in the menu settings. I'm still pretty big on the whole silver/blue combo.

later,
mk
Here's your answer from IGN

"December 10, 2004 - Readers may have taken note of somewhat of a change in the design of the PSP over the past few months. The background for the system's XMB (cross media bar) interface screen, which was initially blue, has recently been seen in an orange color. What gives?

It turns out that the background color changes with the month. The reason you've been seeing orange of late is because orange is the color the screen takes during December. It's apparently the color of Christmas (we would have also accepted green and red)."

So if you just want one color keep the system on your month of choice forever.

post #7 of 53 Old 12-13-2004, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So RGBYHKR, did you get it yet? Man, I've been following this thing daily. So far every battery life test is conflicting. Lik-Sang says that they played Ridge Racers (which by the way looks and plays AMAZING) for 6 hours before the battery died. Gamspot said they got between 1:30 and 3 hours of gameply. IGN said something in between. Anyway, that aside, the PSP launch was an awesome success. There is video of 1200 people waiting at some storefront (Yodobashi???) Anyway, let me know if you got it and how you are liking it.

post #8 of 53 Old 12-13-2004, 11:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 155
I considered getting one early from Japan but the cost is just too high IMO .

--- So lump me into the 'waiting til march' heap :( .

---------- Jason
post #9 of 53 Old 12-14-2004, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Gamespot is just flat out wrong on it. Ignore their figures. People are getting roughly 4 and a half to 6 hours of gameplay time on average which is what Sony claimed it would get.
post #10 of 53 Old 12-14-2004, 11:27 AM

It comes with a DC power jack and a wall adapter, right? I like to be able to plug handhelds in at hotels, in cars, in the bathroom, ect :)

All posts and no replies make Geise a dull boy.
post #11 of 53 Old 12-14-2004, 02:47 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally posted by newsguy
So RGBYHKR, did you get it yet? Man, I've been following this thing daily. So far every battery life test is conflicting. Lik-Sang says that they played Ridge Racers (which by the way looks and plays AMAZING) for 6 hours before the battery died. Gamspot said they got between 1:30 and 3 hours of gameply. IGN said something in between. Anyway, that aside, the PSP launch was an awesome success. There is video of 1200 people waiting at some storefront (Yodobashi???) Anyway, let me know if you got it and how you are liking it.
Mine shipped out today so I should have it by Friday at the latest according to UPS shipping estimates (unless it gets held up in customs for some reason). I also bought a spare battery just in case the battery life turned out to be shorter than I had hoped. To be honest, 3-6 hours per is just fine with me. 2 batteries should be all the charge I need.

One thing that might be helpful would be for a multi-battery charger like you see with some cell phone and laptop battery chargers. I have 2 batteries or my laptop but I often end up forgetting to swap out the 2nd battery to charge it up before a trip. I'll let you know how it is after I get it.

Jeff

I'm nerdy in the extreme, I'm whiter than sour cream...
post #12 of 53 Old 12-15-2004, 03:44 PM
Advanced Member

I got mine from Play Asia today...I got the value pack as well as Ridge Racer. I had mine on pre order from the first say Play Asia had them up (Oct 27th).

I love it to bits, I'll post more later as I'm not done messing around with it.
post #13 of 53 Old 12-15-2004, 05:16 PM
Advanced Member

They are having some big problems with the initial shipments.. :(

http://www.gamesarefun.com/news.php?newsid=4010
post #14 of 53 Old 12-15-2004, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Other than the dead pixel problem, that's just the same info that's being spread around from one site. I have no doubt there are some defective units, but its way too early to say how widespread these issues are.
post #15 of 53 Old 12-15-2004, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

^^^ Yeah, that site is on every game forum on the net. Every launch has it's issues, the DS was plagued with stuck pixels.

Hey EMAGDNIM, post some impressions when you get a chance. Once RGB gets his we'll have our own little review section. I hate reading impressions from places like Gamespot or IGN cause there are so many children that you don't know if they're lying. I have read that Ridge Racers, Minna No Golf, and Lumines are all outstanding games.

post #16 of 53 Old 12-16-2004, 04:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Dead pixels are to be expected. Now the analog stick falling off.. thats a tad serious!

Frank J. Cone

XBox Live / Steam: FCONE

Please do not form any opinion of the content of this post, it is still in BETA.

post #17 of 53 Old 12-16-2004, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hmm... the PSP is the first handheld to include an analog stick, so what are you basing this on? Anyway, from all of the user reviews I'm reading, no one else has had this problem, and I welcome the addition of the analog stick after playing with the god-aweful thumbstrap.

post #18 of 53 Old 12-16-2004, 02:23 PM

I have a question for you guys, do you really think Gamespot is lying about the battery life, that they have some kind of hidden agenda? They reported a factual observation from an unbiased perspective. That is the result they got. It's a well known fact that the battery life pretty much sucks in comparison to Nintendo's previous handheld incarnations, and puts it closer to the "Game Gear realm" - pretty, but not quite built for long sessions.

Running the system in a number of ways will cause a number of different battery reports. Anything not utilizing a graphical intensive game or the spinning UMD will obviously yield better results. I wouldn't be suprised if simply playing MP3's would allow the unit to extend past 6 hours. However, if you want to get down and dirty playing a graphically intensive game with Wi-Fi, Brightness, Volume, etc then that number drops quite a bit.

I think the PSP is a great machine with some flaws, I will not be buying one until Revision 2 - as Ken Kutaragi has made well aware that they are working to resolve this well known battery life problem, and this should be helped with the second revision.

I have the DS now, and it's an amazing little machine - but just like the PSP it has a weak launch lineup. And it has a few problems of it's own. The thumb-strap however is quite awesome when you adjust to the learning curve - not 100% as good as the N64 analog, but I haven't had any problems adjusting.

Competition is good, lets support both these great machines. And we really need to see a portable Disgea in the future.
post #19 of 53 Old 12-17-2004, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Here's my take on the whole battery life thing:

A battery life of 2-4 hours, if that is the case, is certainly plenty for the average buyer to go between recharges. Battery life is just part of the price of owning the technology.

Did people stop buying laptops because you can only get 2-4 hours of laptop life out of a single charge? Nope. Did people not buy Digital Cameras because you could only get 30 or 40 shots out of a single charge using the LCD? Nope. Did people not buy cellphones because you could only get 4 hours of standby and 20 minutes of talk-time back in the day? Nope.

I mean in a year everyone who hates a PSP will probably be out there saying "It can't do 4096 colors at the same time its doing Pixel-Level-Mapadoodling! HAHAHA SONY SUXXXX" etc, etc...but for right now, best they can do is Battery-Life bashing.

People will either buy extra batteries, or someone will come out with a Heavy-Duty batterypack or something like that.

Seriously, this whole "The GBA gets 10 hours!" stuff is growing kinda long in the tooth. Comparing the GBA to the PSP is alot like comparing the GBA to a Digital Watch. I mean, does the GBA Suck because it only gets 10 hours, but my Digital Watch runs for 2 YEARS on a single charge!?!?! :)

If you absolutely have no access to electricity for 5+ hours at a stretch and absolutely HAVE to play games that entire time...well...you'll be blind by 50...but otherwise, stick to a GBA or DS...tho I'm not sure what the DS battery life actually is......

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #20 of 53 Old 12-17-2004, 08:25 AM

Head, the battery issue is a very vaild argument. So is the issue with Sony "Quality Control" - just look at how bad the PS2 drive failures were, not to mention countless other consumer electronics they produce. These are not tools for "bashing" the PSP - they are very known problems.

When you enter the market for the first time, you are expected to be on a level playing field with the competition - this is not the case with Sony. People expect 10 or so hours before a recharge - they've been used to it for years. Drop that number to "90 minutes to 4 hours depenending on optimal conditions" and you have a red flag, period.

For some this will be no issue at all. You may not commute, you may be near an outlet all day. But ask the people who fly back and forth to Japan and Australia, people who don't have the luxury of a constant jack around. Also, it's nice to know you won't have to charge your PSP every day. With the GBA you can forget about charging for over a week, and not run into those days you were too busy to remember.

And this doesn't begin to touch on the other issues - namely buying into the UMD Movie format, paying another $150 for a 1GB stick to play your content on the go, "iffy" DiVX compatibility.

Not to mention, even though some of the games definitely look nice for a portable, they seem lacking compared to PS2 games - it's more comparable to a PS 1.5

I look forward to purchasing one (hopefully when there's a must have title - nothing looks that way yet but I'm sure this will change) but I'm not wearing rose colored glasses until then. It's a beautiful machine - that massive LCD may suck the power, but there's no denying it's sex appeal.

But, the sooner that people understand Sony does not automatically mean quality, the more enlightened they will be ;)
post #21 of 53 Old 12-17-2004, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm sure the PSP will be a red-flag with people who are, well, idiots..and can't accept that they can't always have their cake and eat it too. It runs for 2-4 hours on a charge. can't deal with that, hello GBA-SP. Or buy another battery. Whats the point in complaining.......maybe sony will release a bulkier battery pack for those hard-to-satisfy types.

These are probably the same people who spend their days grumbling that tires don't last the life of your car, and why can't Gasoline be free, and so on....

I don't see battery life as a quality-control issue.......Sony cranks out bajillions of products every day, for every 5 Wegas that go out fine, probably 2 or 3 go out that are messed up in some way. Don't blame Sony, blame the consumers who keep buying them.

Then again, plenty of Nintendo DS's going back to the store due to dead pixels as well, or so I'm reading online.

As for not looking as good as PS2 games, I throw up my hands and go "whatever". To me Ridge Racer, or what I've seen of it online, looks like a PS2 title.

Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #22 of 53 Old 12-17-2004, 09:54 AM

So what happens when you're playing Wi-Fi Ridge Racer in class the day after your forgot to plug it in the cradle for a recharge? People get busy, it might stay in the backpack overnight without a charge - these things happen all the time.

And how exactly are you an idiot by being a critical consumer? This is a valid issue to bring up; it will force Sony to develop/include a better battery next revision if the consumer demands it. Simply telling you to buy one or two more spare battery packs is a cop-out and ends up making the inexpensive handheld more expensive.

It's like the PS2. Buy the system for our low, low price. But then you need a memory card. And a network adapter. And a hard-drive. And a multitap. Factor those things in and it ends up being much more than the competitor (Xbox) which included these by default.

Battery life isn't a QC issue. That's devoted to the dead pixels, dust blobs, air pockets, falling off analog nubs, ejecting UMD's, etc. Then again, Nintendo also has had dead pixels - and that's common for LCD's of any kind.

Consumer response (either negative or positive) is the ultimate litnus test for a company, afterall they want to sell more products.

That is the reason why I choose to wait until these issues are addressed, and Ken Kutaragi has specifically stated for a fact that they plan on having a better battery life in the future. So I have no qualms about waiting for the fixed, final product.

That being said, the PSP is a great little piece of tech, and even with the flaws it has now it is clearly more expensive to manufacture than to buy. And it is by far the best looking out of any portable media solution.
post #23 of 53 Old 12-17-2004, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

The thing is Gamespots figures contradicts everyone elses. They're the only ones claiming 90 minutes. From all accounts, that was because they tested it with a charged battery out of the box which isn't completely charged. Numerous hands on have contradicted saying they've played ridge racer for 4 hours and 30 min easily before the battery died. Even IGN contradicts with significantly longer battery life reports. Gamespot is the only one claimining low numbers. Even recently they sorta retracted their 90 min figure. That's why Gamespots figures is grossly inaccurate. From all accounts, you get about 4 to 6 hours in gaming. About 4 to 5 hours of UMD video. About 5 to 6 hours of memory stick video. About 8 to 10 hours of mp3 playing which is about what sony promised and delivered. You're not going to get this 90 min to 2 hour battery that people seem to be thinking.
post #24 of 53 Old 12-17-2004, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Darknight, yo beat me to it. SWAT, you make good points, but we're not saying Gamespot 's numbers are off because of our Undying love for Sony (I own a DS, and I still hate the thumbstrap :p). The reason people say that Gamespot's numbers seem low is because other well-known websites differ. For example, judging by the amounts of ads on IGN, I would say they get more hits than Gamespot, and they probably would not lie about their figures. In their battery journal (which is very detailed) they say about 4:45 minutes of gameplay, 1 hour was used for MP3's. Lik-Sang said this about the battery (and if you don't mind a really shaky camera you can watch the video)

"Just as FFD departed the train at 10:40AM, the batteries died. So there you have it -- out of the box, fully charged battery, 50% screen brightness, 50% volume, six hours and three minutes. Please stop whining about the battery life now. If one more person says "Well, what if I'm on a plane trip overseas?" I'll scream. In that case, I say this: be a little more careful with your travel agent, save a little money, and buy another battery."

Now, I did think that they were exaggerating a bit at first, but then I watched the videos they posted, and sure enough, they play Mina No Golf and RR like crazy ALL NIGHT. And like you said SWAT, the screen brightness wasn't full, and neither was the volume. But from every account I've read so far (and I've seen side by side pics on IGN) 1/2 the screen brightness on the PSP = the DS default screen brightness. That's more than enough and you know cause you own the DS. Like Darknight said, the #'s Gamespot had are on par with what others say the PSP does with factory charge (which is roughly 50%).

post #25 of 53 Old 12-17-2004, 11:25 AM

The problem is though, depending on which game you use that number is going to fluctuate. Running Luminites against Ridge Racer will yield two very different results. I have a feeling that the heavy-3D games will be the biggest draw to the PSP (for obvious reasons), thus testing 2D games might not be the best idea. Should they start labelling game packages to be honest about it?

Super Puzzle Fighter PSP - [5-6H] [/i]
Socom PSP - [2-4H]

Warning: optimal results based on limited screen brightness, volume settings and do not include wireless gameplay - results may change based on usage

I want to see results of the following test:

- PSP Running Ridge Racer in a Wi-Fi Match
- Full Brightness
- Full Volume

I want to have piece of mind knowing I don't have to lug around another battery pack or two if I decide to play Socom PSP online for a couple hours while stuck waiting somewhere.

I want to know why people are saying the following:

- Analog nub doesn't feel like an analog stick, less points of movement.
- D-Pad makes a clicking sound and is poorly designed so your thumb slides onto the screen.
- Gets incredibly "greasy" fast, thumbprints everywhere.
- Face of the system is very prone to nicks and scratching.
- Battery latch is loose and poorly designed.
- UMD discs are designed to be "open" and thus more prone to damage.
- Discs have ejecting problems.

Yes, I'm being critical of the PSP, but I can be equally critical of the DS, and moreso because I own one. So I will counter-point the DS's flaws now.

- The launch lineup sucks, and will continue to suck until early next year.
- Too many 2D game announcements.
- The touch screen also gets greasy fast and is prone to nicks.
- Silver is too overplayed. Why not black?
- Thumb-strap in Mario is a pain to get used to.
- Did I mention most of the games out now are pure trash?
- Wireless range seems too limited.

I guess the price to pay for being an early adopter is lack of quality software and hardware flaws, but even with the flaws of both systems, handheld gaming is definitely being ushered into a new era - I just don't think we'll see it solidify until mid to late 2005.
post #26 of 53 Old 12-17-2004, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

[
Quote:
I want to know why people are saying the following:

- Analog nub doesn't feel like an analog stick, less points of movement.
Because the pad has no tilt to it. It's more like a circular disc that slides in any direction. It's truly analog but feels different because of this. If you've played with an NES Max controller, its got a similar style sliding disc.

Quote:
- D-Pad makes a clicking sound and is poorly designed so your thumb slides onto the screen.
I just heard about this today and a few people have tested it without finding the problem. However, from what I've heard if you read the whole source of this claim, the guy is clearly biased against Sony and the PSP so his claim should probably be taken with a grain a salt. That was debunked in one of the threads below.

Quote:
- Gets incredibly "greasy" fast, thumbprints everywhere.
It's a smooth and shiny surface. Imagine what would happen if you took like a GBA SP and it was all made out of the surface of the screen. Of course you would get prints on it. They wipe off easily too.

Quote:
- Face of the system is very prone to nicks and scratching.
Like the original GBA wasn't? Like any other handheld screen wasn't?

Quote:
- Battery latch is loose and poorly designed.
I've heard the battery cover is sorta thin, but nothing about it being loose or poorly designed.

Quote:
- UMD discs are designed to be "open" and thus more prone to damage.
Now this is one thing I think is stupid. I was extremely surprised at how there is no slide door like in any other caddy, including Sony's own MD format. I just don't get it. I'm hoping someone makes some cheap snap on backs to put on the back of the discs.

Quote:
- Discs have ejecting problems.
The only disc ejecting problem I've heard is the one video thats being passed around and its the only instance I've heard of it. People have deduced that he could just be actually ejecting the disc and its not really just popping out on its own. On the other hand what people are complaining about is the force at which the discs eject from the system. If not careful, they can go flying out. I don't think this is all systems but I'm not positive on that. That's essentially from just too tight of a spring or something.

Since you seem to be reading the wrong stuff though, here's a good thread debunking Gamespot's battery claims:

http://www.ga-forum.com/showthread.php?t=27601

Here's a great thread about the PSP from right before launch till now, including many respectable impressions and pictures from people in the industry that live in Japan and are hands on. I can vouch for specific people if needed.

http://www.ga-forum.com/showthread.php?t=26150

And just for kicks here's a thread about video encoding on the PSP

http://www.ga-forum.com/showthread.php?t=27624

Those three threads alone is more useful info than just about the rest of the net when it comes to the PSP. They cite other place, debunk rumors, and give honest impresssions and reports from Japan. Read up on those, and then come back.
post #27 of 53 Old 12-17-2004, 01:07 PM

Darknight, thanks for the great links. I've read all of these many times so I don't need to touch up on these topics, and I've frequented many different boards, and have been discussing this topic for some time now.

Analog stick:

From what you say, it doesn't sound that bad - but then again it sounds like some adjusting will take place, and is obviously superior to Mario 64's Thumbstrap control scheme. I felt the NES Max pad was a bit loose however. My other concern is having to revert to old school FPS control schemes a'la Goldeneye. I'm sure Sony could have deployed another analog stick, I'm puzzled as to why not.

I am right handed, so using mouselook with anything other than a right analog thumbstick will be awkward, similar to switching from inverted to non-inverted play-styles.

D-Pad:

I've heard from various sources that the D-Pad makes the clicking or snapping sound. I loathe any third party controllers who have sub-standard D-Pads, thus any "clicking" or "snapping" will annoy me. I'm sure it's a great D-Pad however. The D-Pad and Buttons are very close to the edge of the screen, so yeah I'm sure some finger-smudges will incur, but that's hardly worth mentioning.

Greasy:

I know I won't have this problem as I'm really anal with my equipment, I wipe down my DS touchscreen (which also gets greasy very fast) and if I have to use the touch-screen, I use the backside of my nail for menu selections. However, I can just imagine how greasy these things will look in the hands of the "General Public". Hardly like the Sony stock photos of smiling teens, and more like a mcdonalds cheesburger wrapper. I let my siblings play with the DS for a while and it came back filthy. And yes, the PSP isn't a touch screen, but as for anyone with a monitor can attest - people like touching screens to point things out.

The SP and DS are flawless in the fact they have an outer shell which can withstand daily abuse. Even the worst scratched SP's I've seen have had a pristine screen inside thanks to this design. The PSP however is right out in the open, and unless you sheath that puppy regardless of where you are, it's an open target.

Of course all you have to do is put it back in it's case when not in use. But even my SP's which I completely babied ended up with a few minor nicks here and there on the outer shell. But that in no way affects the quality of the screen over the years.

See the Gameboy Advance non-SP. A couple years of use and that thing is unbearably awful to look at. This could be allviated with some sort of screen protector used early in the handheld's life however

UMD Discs

I'm also hoping that a proper caddy system is implemented for UMD games. When I get my PSP, I would feel a bit upset to accidentally drop this and have the optical media scratched. And given the nature and environments handhelds are commonly played in, it seems a tad fragile in comparison to solid-state memory media.

As for the ejecting problem - we've all seen the video, but I think it's blown out of proportion as it's obvious there's a twisting motion involved. Then again, I have heard a few more reports on how some units are prone to popping out. I'm sure that number is low however from the pool of 200,000.

Re-encoding Movies

Even for a guy like me who would actually take the time to do this, it's an incredible pain in the ass to have to re-encode movies for the down-sampled resolution. Obviously this will be used to save space, but it makes the cheap portable DVD players much more desirable, and for the same price as it would cost to buy a decent sized Media Stick Pro.

Battery Life

If Gamespot is inaccurate, they should be stripped of their reporting license. Obviously (according to PSP supporters) this is an outright lie, and therefore heavily biased.

I cannot vouch for Gamespot, I was under the impression that they were still a reputable source of information. Clearly the reaction from PSP supports has proved them entirely false. I expect repurcussions from this, no?

Gaming Age PSP Launch FAQ

What will the battery time be?

4-5 hours for Video watching through UMD.
4-6 hours average for gameplay through UMD.
4 hours with headphones and 50% volume, no WIFI and highest screen brightness (180 cd/m2).
6 hours with headphones and 50% volume, no WIFI and lowest screen brightness (80 cd/m2).

Again, I would like to see tests with wireless gaming involved - because most Wi-Fi devices tend to eat power twice as fast - thus bringing the results to 2-3 hours. Again, based on the type of game this may be higher or less.

I guess the only thing I can do is pick up a PSP on launch day (with return policy) and test the hell out of the system, until then I will reserve judgement from biased media and glowing fanboys on this matter. There's just too much innacuracy being slung around.

I also plan on running my DS through the gauntlet as well, full Wi-Fi, sound cranked, etc - just to see if the 10+ claim is accurate. I think under high stress conditions the DS will also drop very quickly.

March isn't that far away... ;)
post #28 of 53 Old 12-17-2004, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Swat_R2
So what happens when you're playing Wi-Fi Ridge Racer in class the day after your forgot to plug it in the cradle for a recharge? People get busy, it might stay in the backpack overnight without a charge - these things happen all the time.
What happens? Dude, you DONT PLAY...!??/ Where are the wires crossing here....if you dont charge your phone, and it doesn't work the next day, do you go online and start slamming Nokia or whoever because their batteries suck because you, the consumer, forgot to plug it in?? I really dont see your arguement that just because one game system runs for 10 hours, they all should......

Quote:
And how exactly are you an idiot by being a critical consumer? This is a valid issue to bring up; it will force Sony to develop/include a better battery next revision if the consumer demands it. Simply telling you to buy one or two more spare battery packs is a cop-out and ends up making the inexpensive handheld more expensive.
You're an idiot (not *you* persay, but people who argue this point) by slamming the product because it doesn't fulfill your expectations. Thats what makes one an idiot. If Sony lied about its abilities, thats one thing...but just jumping on the thing because it doesnt' last aslong as you think it should, thats just *beyond* stupid.....

Quote:
It's like the PS2. Buy the system for our low, low price. But then you need a memory card. And a network adapter. And a hard-drive. And a multitap. Factor those things in and it ends up being much more than the competitor (Xbox) which included these by default.
Well I wont argue the point that the XBOX gives you more in a "value added" sense, but you really can't compare a GBA with its SNES-style graphics and gaming ability, to a PSP with a gigantic (by comparison) screen and so much more horsepower under the hood. To run that costs electrons.....unless you want a giant battery pack slapped on the back of your PSP, which I'm sure SOMEONE will eventually make......but most people probably wont need.

Quote:
Battery life isn't a QC issue. That's devoted to the dead pixels, dust blobs, air pockets, falling off analog nubs, ejecting UMD's, etc. Then again, Nintendo also has had dead pixels - and that's common for LCD's of any kind.
Sure....but we're arguing barrery life here...every new product has its flaws, and every one in ten of whatever it is will be a Lemon.....

Quote:
Consumer response (either negative or positive) is the ultimate litnus test for a company, afterall they want to sell more products.
And so far I'm not seeing anything inherently wrong with PSP that would make me think its a shoddy piece of work.....battery life or not....

Quote:
That is the reason why I choose to wait until these issues are addressed, and Ken Kutaragi has specifically stated for a fact that they plan on having a better battery life in the future. So I have no qualms about waiting for the fixed, final product.
By fixed you are implying that the current version has bad battery performance, which it doesn't.....it doesn't last as long as a GBA, then again...get the GBA to run Ridge Racers and then we'll talk...

Quote:
That being said, the PSP is a great little piece of tech, and even with the flaws it has now it is clearly more expensive to manufacture than to buy. And it is by far the best looking out of any portable media solution. [/b]
Agreed

post #29 of 53 Old 12-17-2004, 02:45 PM

It's objective criticism Headrusch, I'll gladly do this to any system. Does it make them terrible products? Absolutely not. Does it mean flaws exist? Yes. With every system comes flaws. And with every new revision comes repairs - console makers have been doing this for many years, you know - the whole progress thing.

My love affair with the PSP started many months before Nintendo dropped the bomb and made us all simultaneously go "WTF?" - however, I refuse to blindly follow the glossy eyed fanboys who can't imagine a single flaw with their little toy.

For every gushing review you read, there is a counter-review. A more critical look at the components, a more technical approach. For every Mario 64 DS review which praises what is considered one of the "Best games of all time", there is a counter-point striking out at the inclusion of an analog stick on the DS, thus causing the port to be tainted in a way.

If you cannot critically examine the system, you are a fanboy, plain and simple. And yes, I think DS fanboys are much more rabid.

It's mostly conjecture at this point, I will personally not know myself until March 2005 when I lay my hands on it for the first time. However, when you weed out the fanboy adjusted claims and average them against well reputable sources, you have a better understanding of the capabilities.

The PSP isn't as cut and dry as some may seem. Boldly claiming your system will do 4 or 5 hours of this has absolutely no bearing on the way others use their system. Statistics and stats are the most easily skewed measurements available unless you've tried it yourself.

The Gaming Age FAQ mentions 4 hours with headphones and 50% volume, no WIFI and highest screen brightness (180 cd/m2).

Like I said, I'd love to see a report with full sound (no headphones) running a Wi-Fi, 3D intensive game for the full battery life. I bet you that expectancy drops at least 35% from that number.

Guess what? I have Halo 2 Online sessions that last over 5 hours - I'd like to see that un-tethered by a power outlet with the PSP. Hell, let's lower expectations even more. When Socom PSP comes out, I want to have 3 hours of non-stop fragging before a recharge.

Remember how many PSX and PS2 revisions there were? Of course there will be a PSP revision.

Yes Ridge Racer PSP makes the DS version look amazingly silly. But at a price. I'm sure Nintendo had this in mind when they examined how quickly more advanced hardware taxed the system. Hell, I'm sure they could make an even better PSP that runs for 15 minutes and can have a near-perfect version of Half Life 2 :D (makes drooling sound)

So yes, both are flawed out of the gates, both have weak launch lineups, and both will pick up steam mid-late 2005. And yes they will both co-exist nicely.
post #30 of 53 Old 12-17-2004, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Swat_R2
It's objective criticism Headrusch, I'll gladly do this to any system. Does it make them terrible products? Absolutely not. Does it mean flaws exist? Yes. With every system comes flaws. And with every new revision comes repairs - console makers have been doing this for many years, you know - the whole progress thing.

Sure, but this whole thing is just you suggesting that 4 hours of battery life is unacceptable and must be sent back to Sony as such, whereas I say "4 hours is plenty, thanks". Perhaps that is where we differ...

Quote:
My love affair with the PSP started many months before Nintendo dropped the bomb and made us all simultaneously go "WTF?" - however, I refuse to blindly follow the glossy eyed fanboys who can't imagine a single flaw with their little toy.
I dont see it as a flaw.....we disagree on this issue...no big deal....

Quote:
For every gushing review you read, there is a counter-review. A more critical look at the components, a more technical approach. For every Mario 64 DS review which praises what is considered one of the "Best games of all time", there is a counter-point striking out at the inclusion of an analog stick on the DS, thus causing the port to be tainted in a way.
Not to hijack this conversation, but I just played the DS today at Toys R Us....and man, I think the worst part about the system has got to be the issue with not being able to get both screens "in view" at the same time...ie: focusing on the top screen means the lower screen is at an angle, giving you that "looking at a LCD screen at an angle"......but I will say this, the lack of polygon filtering definately DOESN'T hurt the system on that screen. That actually raised it up pretty high for me, I thought that would be a bigger deal.
Metroid looked really nice...

Quote:
Like I said, I'd love to see a report with full sound (no headphones) running a Wi-Fi, 3D intensive game for the full battery life. I bet you that expectancy drops at least 35% from that number.
Thats fine........again, not seeing the problem here.

Quote:
Guess what? I have Halo 2 Online sessions that last over 5 hours - I'd like to see that un-tethered by a power outlet with the PSP. Hell, let's lower expectations even more. When Socom PSP comes out, I want to have 3 hours of non-stop fragging before a recharge.
I dunno..then clearly the system isn't going to suit your needs.....

Quote:
Remember how many PSX and PS2 revisions there were? Of course there will be a PSP revision.

Yes Ridge Racer PSP makes the DS version look amazingly silly. But at a price. I'm sure Nintendo had this in mind when they examined how quickly more advanced hardware taxed the system. Hell, I'm sure they could make an even better PSP that runs for 15 minutes and can have a near-perfect version of Half Life 2 :D (makes drooling sound)
I guess the PSP is reaching the point of what I want in a portable......perhaps surpassing it. Portable games are ones I'd like to be able to complete or "advance in" in 5-10 minute increments. I'm not looking for Grand Theft Auto on a handheld......tho I'm sure many are.

Quote:
So yes, both are flawed out of the gates, both have weak launch lineups, and both will pick up steam mid-late 2005. And yes they will both co-exist nicely.
I'm sure they will.....it looks like a really neet gadget....

Closed Thread PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page