Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 12-10-2004, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

Is there any value in getting the optional component video cable connector for the PS2? I'll need to buy a switcher if I do, but I'll get it if it's worth it.

Thanks!
Martin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 12-10-2004, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
It's really up to you. Only a handful of PS2 games support 480p, so it depends whether or not you own those games. www.hdtvarcade.com has a list of those games.

I chose to stick with S-Video since I only have one game that is progressive scan compatible (Tekken 4).
post #3 of 19 Old 12-11-2004, 12:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 270
if u have a hdtv then by all means pick it up it makes a difference but if its just a regular tv then dont bother you'll not likely see too much benifet.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #4 of 19 Old 12-11-2004, 01:42 PM

Liked: 12
I use a component connection from my PS2. It's makes a difference. Like N8 said, not a huge difference, but every little bit helps...;)
post #5 of 19 Old 12-11-2004, 04:18 PM

I use the sony component cable with my PS2. I play it on both my HDTV and my regular tv. It is nice to be able to utilize the progressive output on a few games such as Burnout 2 for me. I don't believe the cost of a quality switcher and a component cable is worth it. I have heard and sometimes notice with component calbes on my regular tv it is possible for the image to be too sharp.

What is the other component you would be switching it with?

-James
post #6 of 19 Old 12-11-2004, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hi James,

I would be switching it with my DVD player and an Xbox. I'm using a front projector, so all the flaws become that much more noticeable. Hmm....

Maybe I should find out if GT4 will be prog. scan... :)

Martin.
post #7 of 19 Old 12-11-2004, 07:48 PM

If you choose to go the switcher route, then make sure you get a decent quality one. There are some excellent ones just check the other forums. In another post I listed some switchers on the market that I know of, so go check that out. If you use an HDTV you definitly need to make sure to get a good quality switcher as cheap ones can really degrade a HD signal. I think with a front projection system you should go for it.

-James
post #8 of 19 Old 12-12-2004, 12:45 PM

PS2 component cables make a big difference in every game. Better PQ. It was a huge improvement over the composite cables I was using.

PSN: technologiq
GamerTag: aph3xx
Wii#: 2216 6139 7881 1960
post #9 of 19 Old 12-30-2004, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

OK, so I'm at this stage (CDN dollars), due to my receiver limitations and current hardware:

1. Cost of going from composite to S-Video: $20 for Sony adapter (already have S-Video cable in box in cupboard)

2. Cost of going from composite to component: $32 for Sony component AV Cable + $150 for Pelican PL-957 Universal Pro System Selector + ~$50 for decent component cables + ~$40 for another toslink cable = $272

Can component possibly be $252 better than S-Video on a PS2?

Martin.
post #10 of 19 Old 12-30-2004, 11:16 AM

Yes, GET 1!
post #11 of 19 Old 12-30-2004, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Martin Rendall
OK, so I'm at this stage (CDN dollars), due to my receiver limitations and current hardware:

1. Cost of going from composite to S-Video: $20 for Sony adapter (already have S-Video cable in box in cupboard)

2. Cost of going from composite to component: $32 for Sony component AV Cable + $150 for Pelican PL-957 Universal Pro System Selector + ~$50 for decent component cables + ~$40 for another toslink cable = $272

Can component possibly be $252 better than S-Video on a PS2?

Martin.
At those prices no, but $40, even CDN is really expensive for a fiber optic cable.

I am assuming that everything you're calculating here is Monster Cable, then?
post #12 of 19 Old 12-30-2004, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by eawil
At those prices no, but $40, even CDN is really expensive for a fiber optic cable.

I am assuming that everything you're calculating here is Monster Cable, then?
Monster? Ug - no. The good quality Radio Shack TOSLINK is $40. Going with something more mid-fi will be $50 or $60, unless you are talking about brittle things (which IMHO seems to me to be a bad idea for glass cables). If you can recommend something cheaper but good quality, please let me know!

Anyhow, I've just realized that I can do it much cheaper. If I go with the Radio Shack video splitter and buy a set of component video cables, I should be able to make it all work together. That should easily reduce the cost to under $100. So, is component worth the approx. $80 premium?

Thanks again,
Martin.
post #13 of 19 Old 12-30-2004, 12:40 PM

!!! $15 or less, this is the best solution IMO, I've suggested to others on here as well. ALL HAVE BEEN SATISFIED!!!

as for the switcher, I use RCA two female to one male adapters, it works perfectly.. I do not experience any picture degradation while using them and I'm quite anal and wouldn't use them if I did.

get three of these (or five if you want for audio as well)

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/gigabuyz/m62103.html

"PS2 component cables make a big difference in every game. Better PQ. It was a huge improvement over the composite cables I was using."

exactly, and still better than svideo, the colors will be more vibrant than svideo
post #14 of 19 Old 12-30-2004, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

briankmonkey,

Interesting. What happens if you turn both devices on at the same time?

Martin.
post #15 of 19 Old 12-30-2004, 01:16 PM

well then the picture is jumbled, you can kind of see both, but all scramble. I just linked those cables as they are the cheapest I saw, I think I paid like $3.00 each for mine, monsters are like $5.00 at best buy.

I have my gear set up like this:

Yamaha receiver has two component inputs
65" has two component inputs

PS2/DVD on one input to the Yamaha
Xbox/Gamecube on the other yamaha input
----Yamaha to one input on my HDTV

HDCable box directly to the tv (for some reason the HDcable box still sends out a signal when off, unless unplugged so I can't split it with anything)

I've tested it out more than a couple of times (connecting directly to the HDTV instead )to make sure i wasn't getting any noticeable picture loss and I'm definitely not. And every person that I've recommened this to has had similar results and has been very happy, probably around 12 people so far.
post #16 of 19 Old 12-31-2004, 01:54 PM

just get a set of sony brand ps2 component cables. they'll set you back like $18 if you look around. maybe you can find a better deal.

i lucked out when i bought my mad catz(ugh) cables for $12. some people say they look worse than composite and the cables are too flimsy. mine have worked perfectly(i just took a risk because i was low on cash) but i recomend getting a different brand. i definitely WOULD NOT spend over $20 for component for the ps2 since the graphics are rather dated and it doesnt matter too much.

my main problem is that the PQ is really good and now those huge jaggies and low res textures from the ps2 are crystal clrear :p

now if you were talking gamecube, it's definitely worth it! soul calibur 2 widescreen in progressive is so sweet :D
post #17 of 19 Old 12-31-2004, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Does any other company make a cable like the Monster GameLink 450? This one has the component out and the fiber optic in one. Pretty nice, but I don't want to pay $70 for this.

Ernie
.: DVD Profiler :.

post #18 of 19 Old 12-31-2004, 10:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Big Worms
Does any other company make a cable like the Monster GameLink 450? This one has the component out and the fiber optic in one. Pretty nice, but I don't want to pay $70 for this.

Monster makes the Gamelink 400 CVAA-10, Gamelink 400 CVV-10, Gamelink 450 CV/DV, and Lightwave 100 FO-10. The 400 CVAA-10 breaks out the component video and L+R analog audio. The 400 CVV-10 only breaks out the component video. The 100 FO-10 is just a 10' plastic fiber Toslink cable. The 450 CV/DV is just a bundle of the 400 CVV-10 and 100 FO-10. It's not an integrated cable.

So go on eBay and buy a 400 CVAA-10 and 100 FO-10 (or any fiber optic cable in the world, for that matter) and be happy. You never know when you might take your projector over to your buddy's place and take your nice 400 CVV-10 video cable only to realize he doesn't have a stereo system so nothing to run a fiber optic into, so no sound. Needless to say, game consoles aren't quite as fun in silence, even if the picture is 8 feet diagonal.
post #19 of 19 Old 01-01-2005, 11:01 AM

I've used the MadCatz, Sony and Monster PS2 component cables.

The MadCatz were HORRIBLE - I know people have had good results but they were bad for me - way too much interference.

I could not tell the difference between the Monster and the Sony cables. PQ is perfect. I returned the Monster cables because there was no gain with the $30 price difference. IMHO Sony would not put out inferior cables for their own game unit anyways. I would stick with the sony.

I use Monster Cable in a lot of my HT setup. There is absolutely no denying the good quality of them but 9 times out of 10 I got them because I could get them for a great price. A lot of companies out there make great cables other than Monster. Don't get sucked into Monsters PR machine.

PSN: technologiq
GamerTag: aph3xx
Wii#: 2216 6139 7881 1960
Closed Thread PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page