Making PS2 output progressive with Descaler (Screenshots included!) - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #31 of 45 Old 01-03-2005, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by Cush1978
Well I don't know...I played with all the software settings and even set it to a 300MHz and also played with deinterlacing settings...still get lag that doesn't appear to change at all. I wish I knew what the problem was; I can obviously use computer software no problem, so the whole system's not affected. Maybe I'll have to reinstall to try it out.

Cush
Is the signal going directly into the PC capture card from the PS2?

Are you using S-Video or component leads.

(I had a real chance to actually have a go on the PS2 after the kids went to bed and I am quite well satisfied with the results I am getting. Will post some more screens soon.)

Red-3 Standing By...

My Blu Heaven! Home Theatre Pics
Sony VW40 1080p FP Screenshots
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 45 Old 01-03-2005, 08:17 PM
Advanced Member

Yes, I'm going direct to the card. I'm using S-VIdeo as I have no component in on this card.

My screens also look pretty bad in DScaler too, lag or not. Something is definitely odd. Very irritating to me...if I can beat this lag, I'll be done messing with this system...:) Don't even know what try except a rebuild of the system.

Cush
post #33 of 45 Old 01-03-2005, 11:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally posted by moggy123
I'm using an IScan HD+ to convert my PS2 to 720p. Run it through my projector in native mode and then zoom to remove the overscan bars.

Awesome!

Even though I'm not passing the audio through the IScan I've not noticed any lag between the video and the the audio.
I was just going to ask about this solution! So it works well with games too eh? Interesting but let me ask you, does the IScan HD+ yield a better picture than a software scaler via an HTPC? If not, why did you decide to go this(more expensive) route? Why not do like Cush and Redd and go the HTPC route?

Cush? Redd? HTPC>>>>>IScan HD+?
post #34 of 45 Old 01-04-2005, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member

My problem is that my Samsung DLP lags with a 480i signal. I have an iScan Pro that I tried first to upconvert to 480p and it still caused the lag. When I'm using my computer, I don't have any lag, so I was hoping to get a video signal to the computer fast enough to lose the lag I was experiencing.

Cush
post #35 of 45 Old 01-16-2005, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by isamu
I was just going to ask about this solution! So it works well with games too eh? Interesting but let me ask you, does the IScan HD+ yield a better picture than a software scaler via an HTPC? If not, why did you decide to go this(more expensive) route? Why not do like Cush and Redd and go the HTPC route?

Cush? Redd? HTPC>>>>>IScan HD+?
Yes it does work well with games.
I think the solution comes down to individual preference. Some people prefer to have a rack of components for specific tasks - a progressive DVD player unit, a dedicated audio processor, a dedicated hardware descaler, TIVO, etc.

I prefer using an HTPC for as many functions as it is capable of, and so it does everything except the sound.

There are advantages to each. The first method is more straight-forward. (I have a progressive scan DVD player hooked up to the TV - all my wife has to do is push one button on the remote and everything turns on and starts up. However I get a better picture from the computer [600p vs 480p] so I use the HTPC.)

I find the HTPC more flexible and generally more economical (after the initial purchase I suppose!) with comparable quality. I also like experimenting, and PC's allow so many options... My HTPC is my older model PC, so rather than sitting idle, it is being put to good use.

As far as de-interlacing the signal, there are a few options:
- use a dedicated box (e.g. iScan)
- use video capture card and software
- use an in-built solution (many HDTVs and projectors include this ability, often mis-labelling it 'line doubling', but in general they are not as good as the above, unless they use an iScan/Farajouda (sp?) chip

Red-3 Standing By...

post #36 of 45 Old 01-18-2005, 02:10 PM

Cush,
Are you scaling through your HTPC also or are you letting your DLP-TV do the scaling? Also, are you using the DVI or VGA to connect to the TV?

Just so you know I am in the EXACT same spot being a Sammy DLP (HLN) owner and a big fan of HSG:3 and DDR.

I have been trying to find a solution to the lag problem myself.

Brian
post #37 of 45 Old 01-19-2005, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

This solution is no good imo. Play a fighting game where timing is critical and you start to notice the lag. In my experience with several capture cards and an LCD monitor in the home theater, there is always lag when looking back & forth between the monitor and projector, especially considering DScaler uses lots of filters.

I have the option to go through my HTPC with S-Video *or* output component straight to the projector which has an onboard Faroudja processor. The Faroudja wins out everytime, mostly because of the timing issue.

"ANYONE who pc games that doesn't have a 360 controller for pc use, well frankly isn't a gamer at all."
post #38 of 45 Old 01-20-2005, 07:00 AM
Advanced Member

I don't think my TV is doing any scaling. My desktop resolution is 1248x702 (which is best for me with the least amount of over/under scan). I also don't have any lag in using my computer, so I feel that the computer is keeping up in "real time".

I use DVI to connect to the TV.

Brian, I've tried plenty of things. Turning off DNR and DNIe. An external deinterlacer (iScan Pro). A PS2 VGA box (Redant). I'm running out of ideas myself.

The capture card doesn't do any better from my observations. I've had no luck in reducing the lag, much less getting rid of it. The Samsungs have a Faroudja processor, but apparently that's not fast enough. HSG3 and DDR are still a real problem.

Cush
post #39 of 45 Old 01-20-2005, 10:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Scotty L
This solution is no good imo. Play a fighting game where timing is critical and you start to notice the lag. In my experience with several capture cards and an LCD monitor in the home theater, there is always lag when looking back & forth between the monitor and projector, especially considering DScaler uses lots of filters.

I have the option to go through my HTPC with S-Video *or* output component straight to the projector which has an onboard Faroudja processor. The Faroudja wins out everytime, mostly because of the timing issue.
So what's the difference in quality between the two? I would have thought the onboard Faroudja processor would win out in quality and performance?

I really should borrow my friend's projector again and try it out. (It has component input.) Am I right in thinking that even when using component leads with a PS2 the output is still 480i (interlaced) unless you have a game that explicitly supports 480p (progressive) like Ratchet & Clank II? (I also noticed Star Wars:Bounty Hunter has a progressive setting, even though it doesn't say so on the box.)
(Just can't bring myself to spend another $30 on component leads for just a couple of games when the PC is doing so well... :)

Red-3 Standing By...

post #40 of 45 Old 01-21-2005, 06:29 AM
Advanced Member

Yes, you're right. Component cables are needed to support progressive scan. That doesn't mean you'll get it. The game still has to support it. I wish I had the same luck with my PC.

Cush
post #41 of 45 Old 02-05-2005, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

I've posted more descaled PS2 screenshots in my gallery if anyone's interested:
http://gallery.avsforum.com/showgall...0&ppuser=57362

Red-3 Standing By...

post #42 of 45 Old 02-27-2005, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

Red, are you saying that with your ATI capture card on your P3 system, you don't get lag from ANY PS2 games? I plan on using my computer monitor as the "TV" and if getting a capture card will let me play the PS2 on my computer, that would be great. My computer is pretty damn new...AMD A64 3000+, 1 GB DDR, Nforce 4 motherboard, and etc.
post #43 of 45 Old 02-27-2005, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Yaaay Strider, you found the thread!
post #44 of 45 Old 02-27-2005, 03:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by nothru22
Yaaay Strider, you found the thread!
lol thanks...
post #45 of 45 Old 02-27-2005, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Sgt_Strider
Red, are you saying that with your ATI capture card on your P3 system, you don't get lag from ANY PS2 games? I plan on using my computer monitor as the "TV" and if getting a capture card will let me play the PS2 on my computer, that would be great. My computer is pretty damn new...AMD A64 3000+, 1 GB DDR, Nforce 4 motherboard, and etc.
That's exactly what I'm saying... no noticable lag and decent 480p quality on the big screen.

We're thinking the problem with systems having lag is due to the TV unit rather than the PC setup, but we're not sure.
Try it out - and report your experience back to us.

Red-3 Standing By...

Closed Thread PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page