I currently have a PS2 connected to my 50PHD7UY plasma via S-video, and am looking to improve the picture quality a bit, especially given the S-Vid issues this plasma has. I have several options, and I'm just trying to get a feel for which way to go. First a detail of my set-up:
- My component video slot is taken up by my cable box and DVD player, switched through my receiver (only two component ins on the receiver).
- Right now, my RGB input is being used by my HTPC (MSI Mega PC 180 - using onboard nForce2 Video for now).
- The DVI blade may end up being used for the PC in the near future, when I upgrade to either a ATI 9700Pro (currently in another computer) or buy a low end AGP card for this box.
- As stated, the S-vid is currently being used solely for PS2, but I want to cut it out entirely.
The main parameters:
Cable Box = Component Only (Scientific Atlanta 8000HD, DVI blade disabled by Time Warner)
DVD = Component (or DVI if I purchase a new one)
HTPC = RGB (or DVI if I get a new vidcard)
PS2 = Component, RGB, or through HTPC
That said, my options seem to be.
- Run the PS2 into the Video capture card (Hauppage Win-TV) and through DScalar.
1) No need to buy anything, since I have all of the parts I need
1) Capture Card only has RCA composite input
1a) so no progressive out from PS2 and all scaling done by PC
2) PC must be on at all times when running PS2
3) Picture lag issues (?)
- Buy new DVD Player - run it through DVI, keep HTPC on RGB port and move PS2 to Component.
1) Upgrade 2 components in one blow (DVD + PS2 picture quality)
1) No DVD Player in my price range (under $700) that meets my needs (5+ disc changer, DVI out, universal player, and good picture quality with no layer change issues, Onkyo 802 is the only one that's close)
2) Don't want to invest heavily in new DVD player if HD DVD is really only a couple of years away.
3) Can't upgrade HTPC to DVI slot, whic would probably benefit from it more.
- Buy VGA Box of some sort for PS2.
1) Not as expensive as new DVD Player.
2) True progressive signal for games which support it.
1) Not sure which VGA Boxes are worth it, the two I've looked at the most closely are:
G-Combo VGA Converter
Blaze VGA Adapter
2) MUST buy new vid card for either my main PC or HTPC
3) since I'd be locked into using DVI for HTPC, I'm therefore locked into using AGP Vidcard, regardless of heat issues (which is a concern of mine with that PC)
I think at this point, I'm going to try it through the HTPC as a stop gap, and I'm leaning towards the G-Combo VGA box and a new vidcard as the ultimate solution, but does anyone have any thoughts, or other suggestions?
Specifically, I'd like to know if anyone has any recommendations for other VGA boxes, as well as recommendations for videocards with this particular SFF PC.
Thanks in advance.