PS2 DVD Player - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-04-2005, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is the PS2 a decent DVD player for movies. I would be hooking up thru component and I have a cheap DVD player now anyway. I know the XBox DVD player for movies is crap from other posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-04-2005, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
The PS2 and Xbox are mediocre DVD players at best. Unless your stand alone DVD player is of the <$50 type, then I wouldn't use the PS2 as a DVD player. Even if it is, it still might be better. :)
post #3 of 6 Old 01-04-2005, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

I figured as much, may hook it up with a Svideo cable to my receiver as I switch everything thru my receiver which only has two component inputs which are taken up by the DVD player and cable box. I run it to a Z2 but my receiver will upconvert Svideo thru the component output so I don't have to run another cable to the projector and I really don't want to spend $100 for a component switcher. I'm thinking the Svideo has to look better than composite.
post #4 of 6 Old 01-04-2005, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally posted by brianbes
I run it to a Z2 but my receiver will upconvert Svideo thru the component output so I don't have to run another cable to the projector and I really don't want to spend $100 for a component switcher.
> What receiver do you have? Most receivers aren’t really “upconverting†S-Video or Composite sources to Component. What they’re really doing is sending the original source through the receiver using one output connection. So you’re still getting S-Video or Composite quality. Meaning that you can’t get 480p through a S-Video connection even though the component cables are the last link in the chain.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-04-2005, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

I have a Yamaha RXV-750 which is unless you know better its doing exactly what you said, just allowing you to output to component. The Z2 interlacer works pretty well, I have two Go Video DVD-VCR players, one no progressive scan and the second with progressive scan. Tell you the truth I think the one without Progressive Scan produces a better picture thru composite than the one which is progressive thru component. I don't expect it to be perfect but I'm guessing the Svideo output has to look better than composite.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-10-2005, 10:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by brianbes
Is the PS2 a decent DVD player for movies. I would be hooking up thru component and I have a cheap DVD player now anyway. I know the XBox DVD player for movies is crap from other posts.
Both the Xbox and PS2 have mediocre DVD players. However, that being said, the latest PS2 has the better DVD player. It has progressive scan, and a little more modern software on board.

If movies are important to you, you'll probably want to pick up a seperate DVD player, though.
Closed Thread PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page