Questions about loading video to the Sony PSP - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 02-14-2005, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am thinking about getting the PSP as I really want a personal video player. When researching the available Archos, Creative, and I-river personal video players, they all have smaller and less impressive sreens than the PSP, but with a lot higher price tags. The only thing I can see better about the personal video players is their hard drive capacities, all the ones I am looking at have 20gb's.

I already have an MP3 player, so I am just looking for something to play videos, T.V. shows, etc. Anyhow, I had a few questions about the PSP that I hope a few resident experts can answer here before I go ahead and spend $50 to reserve this little wonder.

I know that the PSP takes memory sticks, and I would plan on purchasing a 1 gibabyte memory stick pro duo. How much video would that hold, how many movies, etc? Also, could I rip my current DVD's to the memory stick? If you can indeed rip DVD's to the memory stick, how hard is it to do so and endode it in MPEG-4? What software would I need to do this (MPEG-4 encoding off of ripped DVD's)?

Also, I see that the PSP has a USB port as well. Would I be able to rip DVD's onto a USB Flash memory drive (1 gigabyte) and play movies off of that as well? Being that those are very cheap, I wouldn't mind buying 1 or two of them to hold some of my favorite movies for road trips, etc.

I just would like to know all my options out there in regards to video for the PSP, and certainly any limitations that Sony might have set for doing this. All of this will be important in me deciding to go the PSP route.

Don't get me wrong, I will certainly enjoy the games too which makes the price tag for this thing more and more impressive in my opinion, but, the video capabilities is what is going to get me on board with this if I can find out what exactly it can and cannot due in regards to video.

Thanks so much for anyone who takes the time to reply!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 02-14-2005, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Tech Live on G4TechTV showed how to put your DVDs on your PSP:

1. Use DVD Decrypter to rip the DVD onto your hard drive.

2. Use AutoGK to convert the DVD files into AVI files. You can specify an exact size you want for your file, i.e. 1gb. (I have a high end computer and this process occurs in real time, ie a 2 hour movie takes 2 hours to compress).

3. Use the proprietary Sony software to convert the AVI file to some proprietary Sony file that will play on the PSP.

PSN Gamertag: chris5977

In War: Resolution
In Defeat: Defiance
In Victory: Magnanimity
In Peace: Good Will

Winston Spencer Churchill
post #3 of 16 Old 02-14-2005, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter

Chris, so are you saying that I determine the file size of my movie? For example, I would certainly want to pull most of the crap off of the DVD before I moved it to the memory stick like I do when using DVD Shrink. I just want the movie.

That being said, when I rip the movie, can I use something like DVD Shrink to just extract what I want from the DVD?

Also, you said that I get to choose the file size right? So I can decide the I want the movie to come in at 256 MB, and then the software will compress from there? Just making sure that I understood you correctly.

I will check into the G4techTV you were referring to. Thanks a lot!

Also, is there any word on whether or not a flash based USB drive will work with the PSP's USB port? I would think that would be another way to play movies on the PSP without having to use the memory stick.
post #4 of 16 Old 02-14-2005, 10:17 AM

If video playback is your main attraction here, why not just buy a portable DVD player and just burn whatever shows/movies you want to DVD? Seems like its far less complex and less expensive.
post #5 of 16 Old 02-14-2005, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter

That is an option yes, as are items such as Creatives, I-rivers, and Archos's portable video players. That said, I find the Sony PSP very intriguing for several reasons.

First and foremost obviously would be the games. But as I said, it is the possibilities of all the other functions this device has as well that gets me excited about it.

The screen on this thing looks beautiful. Bigger and better than any of the screens on any current PVP's that I can find, yet the PSP is way more compact than any portable DVD player.

The possibility of being able to get GPS software in the future to use the PSP as a GPS device. This is not a reason to buy now for sure, but it just gives an example of possible future applications of this device.

Basically I am trying to say that for $250, I think I can get a piece of equipment that will play some great video games, that will possibly allow me to turn it into a portable video player, and the future possibility to turn it into a GPS system, again, all for $250.
post #6 of 16 Old 02-14-2005, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by brig2221

Basically I am trying to say that for $250, I think I can get a piece of equipment that will play some great video games, that will possibly allow me to turn it into a portable video player, and the future possibility to turn it into a GPS system, again, all for $250. [/b]
I totally understand and that's cool if you want to use those features. But just remember that you'll want to get a 1GB mem stick which can cost upwards of over $100. So, that $250 price tag quickly increases.

That's why I suggested the portable DVD player as possibility since they are getting quite a bit cheaper and the image quality will be true DVD quality on a portable player rather than a compressed version running on the PSP. With blank DVDs being very cheap now(just bought a 50 pack for $20 yesterday) it seems that its a nice and cheap solution for portable video.

However, if you plan to use the PSP for gaming and other things, its certainly worth investigating. I just thought you mentioned earlier that video playback was your main interest here, which is why I recommended a different solution.
post #7 of 16 Old 02-14-2005, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chris5977
Tech Live on G4TechTV showed how to put your DVDs on your PSP:

1. Use DVD Decrypter to rip the DVD onto your hard drive.

2. Use AutoGK to convert the DVD files into AVI files. You can specify an exact size you want for your file, i.e. 1gb. (I have a high end computer and this process occurs in real time, ie a 2 hour movie takes 2 hours to compress).

3. Use the proprietary Sony software to convert the AVI file to some proprietary Sony file that will play on the PSP.
No need for Auto GK, just drag and drp the VOB file into the PSP encoding program. From experience I can tell you 1:30 minute movie=512 MB memory card.

Don't think of it as screendoor, it's more like an infinite game of tic tac toe.
post #8 of 16 Old 02-14-2005, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
I saw that episode on the screen savers on G4TechTV and it got me really interested into the PSP as well. Give it a few months after the release in the US and the homebrew tools should be much easier to use.

newsguy: What is that tool you are refering to? Got any links?

Like brig2221, I want the PSP for the game usage but also want to be able to use it to play movies/ripped tv shows, mp3s etc. I'm hoping that hacks and 3rd party software will make this goal of mine as simple as a couple of clicks.
post #9 of 16 Old 02-14-2005, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

I keep hearing of everyone using the PSP to watch episodes of their favorite TV shows. How exactly would one go about getting their favorite TV shows onto a memory stick. I have a Tivo, but I don't know of any way to get that to my computer and then to the PSP memory stick?

When people are using those examples, are we assuming that they are using their computers as Tivo's, thus having the shows on their computers hard disk?
post #10 of 16 Old 02-14-2005, 02:03 PM

Brig,

If you have a series 2 Tivo, you can network it to your home PC so that you can dump programs from the Tivo onto your PC. From there you can burn them onto DVD or compress it onto a mem stick, etc.

Check out Tivo's web site on a feature called Tivo To Go.
post #11 of 16 Old 02-14-2005, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I have a series 2 Samsung Tivo, so I will definitely check that out. Very cool indeed. Now all I have to do is find a show that I care enough about to record, lol. It seems these days all I do is watch sports.

Thanks for the info.

By the way, does $125 shipped sound like a decent price for a Sandisk memory stick pro duo? I just don't want to get ripped off. Thanks!
post #12 of 16 Old 02-14-2005, 02:34 PM

plan on recharging the psp every couple hours when viewing movies from it. it's a total battery hog so keep that in mind.
post #13 of 16 Old 02-14-2005, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

I appreciate the advice Gameboya, but I find it hard to view your advice and comments impartially with the username, Gameboya, lol.

That said, I have heard that it definitely eats up the juice quickly.
post #14 of 16 Old 02-14-2005, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

Also, is everyone COMPLETELY sure that you will not be able to use Flash USB media on the PSP?
post #15 of 16 Old 02-14-2005, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Gameboya
plan on recharging the psp every couple hours when viewing movies from it. it's a total battery hog so keep that in mind.
How come quagmire and I can get into a heated discussion which has substance to it, and the thread gets locked, but this guy posts this idiocy and it's all good? The battery argument died in Dec. when the PSP was released in Japan. Ridge Racers, the most graphics intensive game, lasts almost 4 hours without a recharge. Lumines, the puzzle game, lasts much more than that. Those are numbers when the UMD is spinning, now imagine how much battery is wasted when running a movie off of the memory stick which eliminates any moving parts...

Don't think of it as screendoor, it's more like an infinite game of tic tac toe.
post #16 of 16 Old 02-14-2005, 08:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally posted by newsguy
How come quagmire and I can get into a heated discussion which has substance to it, and the thread gets locked, but this guy posts this idiocy and it's all good? The battery argument died in Dec. when the PSP was released in Japan. Ridge Racers, the most graphics intensive game, lasts almost 4 hours without a recharge. Lumines, the puzzle game, lasts much more than that. Those are numbers when the UMD is spinning, now imagine how much battery is wasted when running a movie off of the memory stick which eliminates any moving parts...

newsguy is correct ,

--- This has been tested when running video from memory sticks and they consume much less battery life than the UMD .

--- Let's not have the fan-boy battles start here again ... Please [ there is no point to it as it solves nothing ] .

---------- Jason
Closed Thread PlayStation Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page