Recommend a PS2 RPG! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 02-28-2005, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I broke down and bought one of those PSTwos for GT[34]. But I recall reading that the PS2 has amazing RPGs. So, what's a good open ended one? New, old, whatever.

Thanks!
Martin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-28-2005, 02:05 PM

Liked: 93
it's not open-ended really, but Xenosaga I and II are easily my favorite PS2 RPGs. intricate story, amazing cinimatics, gripping world. addicting as hell :)

as far as open-ended, Final Fantasy X-2 would be my pick. you would want to play Final Fantasy X first though, which is rather linear.
post #3 of 13 Old 02-28-2005, 02:36 PM

Without a doubt Champions of Norrath: Realms of Everquest and Champions: Return to Arms.

I have enjoyed the Hell out of both of these.
post #4 of 13 Old 02-28-2005, 02:55 PM

Kingdom Hearts was amazing to me, and I don't even like anything Disney-related. The mix of Disney and Square characters was done very well. It has a great real-time combat system too (though the camera gets a little funky at times). I hate RPGs, but once I finally tried KH on the advice of my wife, I loved every second of it. For an RPG noob like myself, it was a perfect mix of action and RPG elements that made it easy for me to get into.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
...Get Your Fix (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
Xbox Live Gamertag: voodoogmr
PlayStation Network: voodoogmr
post #5 of 13 Old 02-28-2005, 03:34 PM

As noted above, FFX is rather linear, but I would wholeheartedly recommend checking it out. The story and presentation are outstanding, and the battle system is the best in the series, at least in my opinion. If you dig that then jump right into FFX-2 to conitnue the story (sort of). Xenosaga is another great one, but again rather linear. The story is top notch, but be prepared for some serious cut scenes. I forget what the total cinema time is, but there are some scenes that chew up 45 minutes at a time. Definitely for diehard RPGers. The best thing about FFX and Xenosaga is that they can be had for $20 new since they're both greatest hits titles. Best of luck!

post #6 of 13 Old 03-01-2005, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks a lot! I think I'll look into Xenosaga, Champions of Norrath and FFX, in no particular order.

Martin.
post #7 of 13 Old 03-02-2005, 05:36 AM

Creo, even if you're not into Disney, you'd be robbing yourself if you didn't check out Kingdom Hearts. IMO, it's the best RPG that Square has released in years.

I'll also agree with all the games that others have recommended. They all have their own flavor and will be worth your time.

Join the Mobile Infantry and save the Galaxy. Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?

Are you?
post #8 of 13 Old 03-02-2005, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hmm. OK, I'll give it a look.

Thanks!
MC.
post #9 of 13 Old 03-02-2005, 11:44 AM

Also consider Beyond Good and Evil.I don't know if people would consider it an RPG, but it is a well made game, but too short.
post #10 of 13 Old 03-02-2005, 12:10 PM

I'm playing Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne, its a bit different then your typical RPG (you are fighting demons and deities etc) the difficulty can be a bit punishing at times but it is an interesting game.
post #11 of 13 Old 03-02-2005, 06:37 PM

Ditto the Shin Megami Tensei, a very unique - well done RPG..

I'd also recommend: Suikoden 3 (has an interesting "scenario" system, which tell the story from different sides), Disgaea (has some cutesy elements, but is really a fairly deep strategy-RPG with multiple endings), ICO (not an RPG, just a well-made game, that I think msot people would like). Star Ocean 3 is a pretty good RPG, if you ignore the ending.

If you like the more "retro" RPGs, then there's two game set called "Growlanser Generations".. which has solid voice acting and such... and a fairly... unique battle system (some would say frustrating or odd).

The system also has two offerings in terms of MMORPGS, Everquest, and Final Fantasy XI (why they put the online FF into their numbering, I have no idea).
post #12 of 13 Old 03-03-2005, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jitawa
Ditto the Shin Megami Tensei, a very unique - well done RPG..

I'd also recommend: Suikoden 3 (has an interesting "scenario" system, which tell the story from different sides), Disgaea (has some cutesy elements, but is really a fairly deep strategy-RPG with multiple endings), ICO (not an RPG, just a well-made game, that I think msot people would like). Star Ocean 3 is a pretty good RPG, if you ignore the ending.

If you like the more "retro" RPGs, then there's two game set called "Growlanser Generations".. which has solid voice acting and such... and a fairly... unique battle system (some would say frustrating or odd).

The system also has two offerings in terms of MMORPGS, Everquest, and Final Fantasy XI (why they put the online FF into their numbering, I have no idea).
Almost forgot about Disgaea...funniest RPG in recent memory. I can never get over the one stage where the "hellspawned bosses" are just rip offs of the power rangers. :)

Suikoden 3 is much better than Suikoden 4, imo. I just couldn't get into the 4th one. Still sitting on my shelf waiting to be played.

Join the Mobile Infantry and save the Galaxy. Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?

Are you?
post #13 of 13 Old 03-03-2005, 09:28 AM

Final Fantasy X is the best on I've played for the PS2. For the life of me, I just couldn't get into FFX-2... maybe because I started it right after putting around 100 hours into FFX. I may revisit it at some point to see if I can get some enjoyment out of my $50.
Closed Thread PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page