Closed Thread

post #31 of 36 Old 03-09-2005, 01:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by rdank
I'll agree with most of that. Only time will tell, I guess. Still, with all that is in the works at N, it looks like they may be spreading themselves too thin. And if a new GBA successor is coming late this year or early next year, the DS dies immediately and finds it's grave next to the Virtua Boy.

I finally got to see a bunch of PSP videos yesterday. They were being shown on CinemaTech on G4. I found the footage very impressive. They showed a couple titles (1 first person shooter, and a couple others) and it really made me want to pick one up. It's not quite PS2, but it's heads above PS1 for sure. Even on my 50" tv, the footage looked pretty darn good. I'd say in all, I watched about 10 minutes of footage.
I guarantee that Nintendo will not be releasing the new GB this year. That article that was released was just some guy on CNN speculating.

Nintendo has thrown a lot of money behind the DS and they are not about to abandon it. The next GB will most likely come out in 2006 at the earliest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 Old 03-09-2005, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't see a new GB this year either. Especially with the Revolution coming.
post #33 of 36 Old 03-09-2005, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rdank
I don't see a new GB this year either. Especially with the Revolution coming.
rdank,

The revolution is probably not coming out this year either. With Nintendo having the new Zelda coming out at the end of the year for GC, I doubt they will release a new console at that time. Nintendo typically likes to give its big products a bit of time in the spotlight. Chances are the Revolution will come out next holiday season around the same time as the PS3. Where the new GB fits in next year I am not certain.
post #34 of 36 Old 03-09-2005, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh, no doubt it's not coming this year. I would guess end of summer or whenever Sony releases.

Sony and N might (big might) speed things up a bit once Xbox hits. Sony knows quite well what a year's headstart can mean for overall sales and consumer opinion. I'm not suggesting we see them 1st Q of next year, but instead of 4Q, you might see an early 3Q release. More specifically, I think the delay between Jap and US release will be much shorter than it has been in the past.
post #35 of 36 Old 03-09-2005, 08:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 13
The DS is indeed going to take a beating this year. With the ridiculously slow rollout of new titles and the imminent release of the PSP, I can't imagine that Nintendo execs feel very good about continued sales of the DS. Certainly, Sony is targeting an older demographic with more disposable income. However, there will be a decent amount of intrusion into their domain by the PSP.

Given the price point of the PSP, even non-bundled, most consumers will only be able to afford one or the other. The PSP has a much cooler appeal and with better game support from the get go, it will usually win the battle for anyone who is trying to decide between the 2 (note to DS lovers, I said usually). For the truly cost conscious crowd, the DS does have the upper hand with both the system cost and cost of the games.

What's interesting to me is how the PSP could change the gaming market going forward. Consider this, at $40 or $50 per title, the PSP games are priced comparably to their PS2 equivalents. Additionally, the PSP has built in multiplayer and internet gaming support. The screen quality makes the game experience much better than any previous console and a huge leap forward for handheld gaming in general. Because the unit is portable, it offers many more playing opportunities than console gaming. On the downside, the unit does have battery life and screen size issues to contend with (both being compared to the playing experience witha normal PS2). What's the point of all this? I wonder if we will see a trend that has some gamers using the PSP more than their consoles. In such a case, those gamers could replace PS2, XBOX, GC, etc title sales with PSP title sales. Given a choice between buying one or the other, I can easily see some gamers going with the PSP version as they think they'll actually be able to play it more often (assuming the PSP version is of comparable quality).

Of course, most people will probably use the PSP to augment their gaming and not to replace the console. However, the system is of such high quality for a portable unit, that I could see some people using it as their main platform. The launch of next gen consoles would probably slow down such a trend, but I have to wonder what the sales figures will look like over the next 12 months.

I'm nerdy in the extreme, I'm whiter than sour cream...
post #36 of 36 Old 03-09-2005, 11:30 PM

I would get him the DS since it plays all the nintendo hand held games and the touch screen games are actually pretty fun.
At least the DS offers unique gameplay that you cannot get on any other system and it's more than just a gimmick.
Closed Thread PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page