What is the hype with PSP?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 36 Old 03-09-2005, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My son has been asking me and his mother for a PSP sysytem. Can someone tell me what it is and why this is so special? Being out of the video game loop, my son already has an XBOX and Playstation 2 and I can't imagine why I should pay for another video game system for him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 03-09-2005, 07:41 AM

Liked: 10
It's a handheld capable of graphics somewhere between the Playstation 1 and 2. It is also a media player with a 16:9 widescreen. The screen is supposedly one of the nicest you'll find on any media player today.

It's basically a very high tech gameboy with media capabilities. At $250, it's expensive for a handheld game console, but cheap for a media player. It uses memory sticks for flash memory and UMD (proprietary format) for games and movies. The movies are being released in the same way as DVD's from a few studios.

It's a very popular gadget, to put it bluntly. It's due for release this month.

Join the Mobile Infantry and save the Galaxy. Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?

I'm doing my part. Are you?
post #3 of 36 Old 03-09-2005, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter

Taintedzodiac,

Thanks for the quick reply!! I'm not sure about the rest of you, but $250 is way to steep for a handheld sytem. I can't imagine parents are spending this much for a handheld sysytem for there kids. My son is only 12 yrs old and looks like he will not be getting this anythime soon utill the price comes down by alot.
post #4 of 36 Old 03-09-2005, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by m2845
Taintedzodiac,

Thanks for the quick reply!! I'm not sure about the rest of you, but $250 is way to steep for a handheld sytem. I can't imagine parents are spending this much for a handheld sysytem for there kids. My son is only 12 yrs old and looks like he will not be getting this anythime soon utill the price comes down by alot.
I have to agree. It is definitely targeted at a slightly older crowd. The main reason it is $250 is because they are forcing you to purchase the "bundle pack" with a memory card, etc. I know quite a few people who are waiting for a non-bundled release at a lower price point.

Join the Mobile Infantry and save the Galaxy. Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?

post #5 of 36 Old 03-09-2005, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter

Taintedzodiac,

What is the price of a non-bundle PSP? Also, can a PSP, play Playstation 2 games or Xbox games?

Thanks!
post #6 of 36 Old 03-09-2005, 08:14 AM

It can only play games specifically made for the PSP, as it uses a different (and smaller) media type from other systems.

Even though it is targeted towards older gamers, kids will probably not give up asking until parents finally give in and buy it! :)
post #7 of 36 Old 03-09-2005, 08:20 AM

m2845,

I definitely wouldn't recommend getting the PSP for your 12 year old son. If your kids are anything like mine, they are pretty rough with their toys. PSP is definitely a cool portable, but it is a pricey portable and it has a big screen that is out in the open and very susceptible to scratches. Its definitely a device that was targeted with adults in mind that tend to take care of their gadgets.

The PSP won't play PS2 or XBOX games on it, it plays its own software. Games that are on mini DVDs which are called UMDs(Univeral Media Discs).

I suggest that if you want to get your son a portable gaming machine then look into a GBA SP as it has a lot of games for it and a good design that protects the screen while making it nice and small to carry around in your pocket. Right now a GBA SP costs $80 with games costing between $20-$30.
post #8 of 36 Old 03-09-2005, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Taintedzodiac,

What is the price of a non-bundle PSP? Also, can a PSP, play Playstation 2 games or Xbox games?

Thanks!
The PSP does not come unbundled, as of yet.

post #9 of 36 Old 03-09-2005, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote,

"Even though it is targeted towards older gamers, kids will probably not give up asking until parents finally give in and buy it!"

Brother, aint that the truth!!! My son wore my wife and I down after 4 months of begging us for a Xbox system. We finally gave him one for Christmas last year. Looks like he will be waiting alot longer for his PSP. With money being tight around the house, I can't justify spending $250.00 for his enterntainment purposes.
post #10 of 36 Old 03-09-2005, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quagmire,

Thanks for the reply! My son is very rough on his things and he is not ready for something that fancy in which he would take care of it without it getting damaged. I will take your advice and look into a GPA becuase it is more in line for what I will pay for a handheld.
post #11 of 36 Old 03-09-2005, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Quagmire,

Thanks for the reply! My son is very rough on his things and he is not ready for something that fancy in which he would take care of it without it getting damaged. I will take your advice and look into a GPA becuase it is more in line for what I will pay for a handheld.
If you're going for a GBA, make sure you get the Game Boy Advance SP (the SP is the important part). It's the clamshell design (ie it looks like a flip phone, with the screen flipped down when not is use for protection). It also has a built in backlight, which the GBA (non-SP) didn't have.

post #12 of 36 Old 03-09-2005, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by taintedzodiac
If you're going for a GBA, make sure you get the Game Boy Advance SP (the SP is the important part). It's the clamshell design (ie it looks like a flip phone, with the screen flipped down when not is use for protection). It also has a built in backlight, which the GBA (non-SP) didn't have.
Agree 100% Get an SP as it is definitely a better design. You might even be able to save some money getting a used one, although new ones are $80. It's not quite as flashy as the PSP, but it offers tons of great games and since the games are on cartridge there are no moving parts meaning there's less chance of things breaking.
post #13 of 36 Old 03-09-2005, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Taintedzodiac,

Thanks!
The PSP is speculated to drop to a $200 price point once it goes non-bundle... which won't be available until the initial "new-tech" demand dies down.
post #14 of 36 Old 03-09-2005, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Quagmire,

Good call. I'm a grown man and I take care of my stuff, and my PSP which I've only had for 3 months is full of tiny scratches. This comes by just wiping dust off the screen (it can be alleviated by getting a screen protector). Think of the PSP as an IPOD with a much bigger, expensive screen, and a couple of switches (WiFi and disc eject button) that can be snapped off with enough pressure. Seeing a young boy with a PSP in hand would look as funny as seeing him with a PDA. I know many people are recommending the GBA SP, but there is speculation that when the PSP comes to North America, the Nintendo DS (their latest handheld) will drop in price (it's currently $150). It also has a clamshell design as well as better graphics than the GBA. At least if your son is really asking you alot about it, you can talk him into the DS which is more comparable to the PSP.

Don't think of it as screendoor, it's more like an infinite game of tic tac toe.
post #15 of 36 Old 03-09-2005, 09:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
It's a handheld capable of graphics somewhere between the Playstation 1 and 2.
Once you've seen one you'll revise that statement. Comparing it's performance to the Playstation 1 is insulting to the PSP. It's clearly on par with the PS2 in virtually every category (yes, the excellent screen helps it out a bit).
post #16 of 36 Old 03-09-2005, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

"If you're going for a GBA, make sure you get the Game Boy Advance SP (the SP is the important part). It's the clamshell design (ie it looks like a flip phone, with the screen flipped down when not is use for protection). It also has a built in backlight, which the GBA (non-SP) didn't have."

taintedzodiac and every one else,

This is starting to get confusing! Is the only difference between the GPA and Gamboy Advance SP is that one has a backlight and the other one doesn't?? Also, what is a Nintendo DS? I thought the GPA or the Gamboy Advace SP was the latest handheld?? Sorry if my questions sound dumb to you guys, but I have been out of the video game loops since I was in college with my Sega Genesis. Back then if I recall, my roommates and I pulled are money together and paid like $200.00 for that system.

post #17 of 36 Old 03-09-2005, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SiliGoose
Once you've seen one you'll revise that statement. Comparing it's performance to the Playstation 1 is insulting to the PSP. It's clearly on par with the PS2 in virtually every category (yes, the excellent screen helps it out a bit).
I own one, paid my $450, and my original statement is my opinion. :)

post #18 of 36 Old 03-09-2005, 10:16 AM

m2845,

Let's clarify a few things to keep from being confusing.

Right now Nintendo has 2 handhelds out on the market.

Handheld 1 is the Gameboy Advance(GBA), which comes in 2 forms.
The original Gameboy Advance looks like this:

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/230230.asp

It comes in a variety of colors and such, however, it has no backlight and it uses standard AA batteries.

Later on, Nintendo listened to people complain about the design of the GBA and they released a revision of the hardware. Internally, its made up of all the same stuff, but it offers a clamshell design(to help protect the screen), it offers a built in light, and it also has a built in rechargable battery. This new design is called the Gameboy Advance SP(GBA SP).

It looks like this:

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/232807.asp

It also comes in a variety of colors, becuase it has additional features that the original GBA didn't have(i.e. backlight, clamshell, etc.) its also more expensive, but well worth it in my opinion.

Handheld 2
This past November Nintendo released another handheld onto the market. Its called the Nintendo DS. It looks like this:

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/241868.asp

This handheld is more powerful that the GBA. It offers things like 2 screens, touchscreen, wireless link, etc. It plays DS games and it also plays GBA games. It has a slot for each type of game. The DS is more expensive and bigger than the GBA SP. It is a great handheld and is something to consider as it offers more functionality and can play both DS and GBA games, but again, it costs more money. DS games typically cost between $30-$40.

Hopefully this helps clarify things for you. If you're looking for a cheap system and some cheap games, the GBA SP is a solid bet as its very well built and very tiny making it easy to carry in your pocket. The DS is an excellent system as well and it is more powerful and plays GBA games as well, but its more expensive and a bit bulkier. You may want to go to a game store or a Best Buy and check out the demo units they have on display so you can see them in person.
post #19 of 36 Old 03-09-2005, 10:17 AM

Quote:

This is starting to get confusing! Is the only difference between the GPA and Gamboy Advance SP is that one has a backlight and the other one doesn't?? Also, what is a Nintendo DS? I thought the GPA or the Gamboy Advace SP was the latest handheld?? Sorry if my questions sound dumb to you guys, but I have been out of the video game loops since I was in college with my Sega Genesis. Back then if I recall, my roommates and I pulled are money together and paid like $200.00 for that system.

GBA is the older and cheaper one without a backlight and nothing to protect the screen. GBA SP is the newer and more full featured one for $80, including a backlight and a fold-down case when not in use to protect the screen. Think of the two as comparing a normal cell phone to one that flips open.

The DS is a new system that has it's own games, two screens, and the bottom screen is usable as a touchscreen. The DS will also play all GBA games, although not the older Game Boy and Game Boy Color games (you won't need to worry about that). The DS also makes the GBA games look a bit better due to a higher quality screen. It is currently $150.

post #20 of 36 Old 03-09-2005, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

quagmire and taintedzodiac,

Thanks for the great post and educational lesson on the types of handhled sysytems. Wanting to stay at around $150.00, it looks like I will buy him a GPA SP and two games. You guys are great and I really appriciate everyone's help.

Taintedzodiac if I may ask, if the PSP cost $250.00, why did you pay $450.00 for it? Also, I thought it was mentioned earlier that the PSP was not even out yet so how could you purchase it already? If you do not want to answere I can understand.
post #21 of 36 Old 03-09-2005, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Taintedzodiac if I may ask, if the PSP cost $250.00, why did you pay $450.00 for it? Also, I thought it was mentioned earlier that the PSP was not even out yet so how could you purchase it already? If you do not want to answere I can understand.
Imported it from Japan, where it was released earlier. The demand was high and thus the price was higher through import stores.

post #22 of 36 Old 03-09-2005, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

Qoute:
"Imported it from Japan, where it was released earlier. The demand was high and thus the price was higher through import stores"

Kudos to you!! Thanks for the reply and recommendation of the GPA SP. This looks like something that is within my budget and something that my son will enjoy!
post #23 of 36 Old 03-09-2005, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
GBA SP will definitely be the more cost effective handheld for this year and the non-bundled PSP will most likely be hard to get until at least next year. Though the Nintendo DS looks interesting I have heard that Nintendo is already working on a successor to the GBA so it looks like the DS was just a side diversion to the game boy line.
post #24 of 36 Old 03-09-2005, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

So far, the DS looks like a huge flop.
post #25 of 36 Old 03-09-2005, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rdank
So far, the DS looks like a huge flop.
I'm curious as to what makes you say that? I agree that it doesn't have all that impressive of a game library at the moment, but the DS has already sold over 4 million units worldwide and has quite a lot of very cool games in production for it. Not saying its a huge success either, just saying that I would hardly consider it to be a flop.

Also, there's quite a bit of speculation that says Nintendo will be announcing their online plans with the DS tomorrow during Iwata's keynote speech at the GDC. If that happens, I look for DS sales to pick up.
post #26 of 36 Old 03-09-2005, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

The reason I say it's a flop is because it's not being supported like the initial claims indicated. Games are fairly non-existant. Being Nintendo and not the Gameboy, I'm skeptical this will become any better. Last 2 or 3 consoles have had terrible software support. There are great games, but they are few and usually VERY far in between.

Another thing that I see is pretty much all reviews so far have pointed out that the touch/dual screen gimick just isn't bringing anything new to the table. They keep saying that it might be great if someone can find an interesting use for it, but not so far.

Sure, it plays GBA games which is great. It's not a totally useless product. But, with Nintendo working on their new console, a possible GBA successor, and GBA games, the DS appears to be left in the cold. Plus, once a GBA successor comes out, the GBA/DS titles start drying up.

Looking at the overall picture, I just don't see the DS ever getting proper software support to make it really successful. I also think once the PSP hits and completely blows away the DS in terms of hardware, people wont even look at the DS.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not a fanboy of either side. I own all 3 consoles currently and a GBA. It's just hard to image that the DS will ever emerge as more than a gimick machine. Some of the current games have received horrible reviews...and these are games from big production companies.
post #27 of 36 Old 03-09-2005, 01:38 PM

rdank,

You have to remember the DS was rushed to market. Nintendo scrambled to get it out last year, and because it was pushed out so quickly, there wasn't a lot of software to back it up. Even now it doesn't have a lot of software on the market, but it doesn't mean that there's not stuff in the making.

A lot of big name companies have thrown their support behind the DS and are developing titles for it now. So, I have a feeling that by the end of this year there will be quite a number of high profile games for the DS.

You are right that there aren't a lot of games that make good use of the DS' functionality. Hopefully this will change in time. Right now developers seem to be taking existing games/genres and just porting them to the DS with a few added gimmicks. This makes for a mediocre gaming experience. Once developers make games with the DS in mind from the beginning, I have a feeling we will start to see some very unique and creative ideas.

Once that happens, I think the DS could definitely compete with the PSP. But, I don't think either the PSP or the DS will ever reach the status that the GBA has.
post #28 of 36 Old 03-09-2005, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
I bought a DS for my boys... it is ok, looking for a decent game to buy. I would never consider taking it with me to work, on trips etc.

I plan on getting a psp at us release and take it with me everywhere.

xbl/gamecenter: leff4
psn/twitter: ileff
my app: video poker clock
post #29 of 36 Old 03-09-2005, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

I'll agree with most of that. Only time will tell, I guess. Still, with all that is in the works at N, it looks like they may be spreading themselves too thin. And if a new GBA successor is coming late this year or early next year, the DS dies immediately and finds it's grave next to the Virtua Boy.

I finally got to see a bunch of PSP videos yesterday. They were being shown on CinemaTech on G4. I found the footage very impressive. They showed a couple titles (1 first person shooter, and a couple others) and it really made me want to pick one up. It's not quite PS2, but it's heads above PS1 for sure. Even on my 50" tv, the footage looked pretty darn good. I'd say in all, I watched about 10 minutes of footage.

Again, not bashing the DS, but I haven't seen any footage that has impressed me. In fact, after seeing a few minutes of footage from Tiger Woods, I decided the DS is probably not for me.
post #30 of 36 Old 03-09-2005, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ileff
I bought a DS for my boys... it is ok, looking for a decent game to buy. I would never consider taking it with me to work, on trips etc.

I plan on getting a psp at us release and take it with me everywhere.
Wario Ware Touched just came out for the DS and I've been enjoying that quite a bit. Yoshi's Touch and Go comes out next week and I am interested in checking it out as well.

I often take the DS or GBA with me on trips as it definitely helps me pass the time. Both get great battery life which is a definite plus on long flights.
Closed Thread PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page