PS3 and HD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 03-10-2005, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After reading about what Xbox has in store as far as HD gaming is it reasonable to assume that the PS3 will follow suit? I am a playstation fan but the next console I buy will have to be serious about Hi Def. Microsoft is currently talking my language.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-10-2005, 10:43 AM

Yes i would say so.
post #3 of 12 Old 03-10-2005, 10:44 AM
Advanced Member

PS3 will also support HD resolutions. Probably even be able to play BlueRay movies with it also.
MS is requiring all games support at least 720p. Since PS3 will also have plenty of power to support HD resolutions, you can expect something similar from Sony.
post #4 of 12 Old 03-10-2005, 10:44 AM
Advanced Member

PS3 is supposed to use blue-ray technology. So it will be able to play blue ray high definition movies...it's prob a safe bet games will be high definition too. I'll almost garantee it...no way sony wants to be behind MS regarding that feature again.

Hell, it's prob a safe bet that all the consoles will display in high definition.

Yet who knows about the nintendo revolution...they did after all take the digital output off the gamecube.
post #5 of 12 Old 03-10-2005, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
It's most likely that all three next generation consoles will include 720p/1080i gaming and I think there is even a good chance that all three consoles will have 5.1 channel DD (or DTS) real time audio encoding.
post #6 of 12 Old 03-10-2005, 05:08 PM

Hopefully we won't be subjected to all the crappy software that these console usually launch with. The PS2 launch was a joke, so was the GCN and the Xbox was pretty damned medicore.

I sure in the hell hope they don't try to fix up a crappy game with good graphics just to lure in the casual gamer that doesn't read reviews - just the pretty pictures in ads.
post #7 of 12 Old 03-10-2005, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Very few good games launch with a console since they are usually rushed out for the console's release. There are notable exceptions to that rule but usually 90% of the a console's initial releases are bad games.
post #8 of 12 Old 03-11-2005, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Sony press release from 9/2004:

http://www.us.playstation.com/pressr...x?id=228&print

Bet your bottom dollar PS3 will be blu-ray, and HD resolution. It'd be commercial suicide if it wasn't. It'll have to do (at least) DD/DTS too in my opinion. I'm hoping it'll play SACDs and DVD-As too... but that's just a pipe dream of mine!
post #9 of 12 Old 03-11-2005, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Paul
Very few good games launch with a console since they are usually rushed out for the console's release. There are notable exceptions to that rule but usually 90% of the a console's initial releases are bad games.

Dreamcast was the last system to have a decent launch lineup.
Excellent actually.
post #10 of 12 Old 03-11-2005, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Everything I've read says PS3 will be more powerful than the Xbox2. I think it's safe to assume that all the next-gen consoles will support HD gaming with 5.1 sound. If PS3 can play Blu-ray movies, that would be a huge bonus. I would be very surprised if they didn't include this capability in their system.

PSN/XBOX Live: Destro75
BattleNet Tag: BaronessMD#1680

Steam: vpnath

Gaming PC: i7 3770K OC 4.2Ghz, 16GB RAM, EVGA GTX 670 FTW Dual-SLI

post #11 of 12 Old 03-11-2005, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by scottro
Dreamcast was the last system to have a decent launch lineup.
Excellent actually.
I'd love to hear your opinion on why DC's launch lineup was excellent. I remember having bought most of the games, but only a few stick in my mind as excellent.

My favorite launch lineup is still the SNES, with only three games. Super Mario World, Pilotwings, and F-Zero are still some of the best games that Nintendo ever produced for that system.

Quality of a launch lineup, like anything else, is purely opinionated. Sales are the only thing that really matter in the short run, and 2nd gen titles are the grinding stone for any system. The Dreamcast (just like the Saturn), failed to produce 2nd gen titles that could cover their cost of operation. Heck, I still think the Saturn and DC were far superior library-wise to both of the Playstations, but those are the facts. :(

Join the Mobile Infantry and save the Galaxy. Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?

I'm doing my part. Are you?
post #12 of 12 Old 03-11-2005, 12:32 PM

DC's launch included:

Marvel vs. Capcom

Marvel vs. Capcom was a great DC game, 2d fighters enjoyed quite a bit more limelight because of the DC. This game still holds its own today.

NFL 2K

Kicked Madden in the butt and made EA wake up and realize they had better get their act together if they wanted to continue to enjoy their football dominance. This game had jaw-dropping graphics in comparison to any other sports game for its time and sold DC's left and right despite floaty passes and difficult running game in its first year. The start to a beautiful franchise that won many awards for best sports game on xbox last year... to bad it will most likely be abandoned thanks to no NFL licensing... so much for competition.

Ready 2 Rumble Boxing

Doesn't really hold the test of time, but this game woke up the boxing genre again.

Sonic Adventure

I'm not a big Sonic fan, but this game was a decent platformer for launch.

Soul Calibur

This game was so great you could play it today and have a hard time believing it came out in 99. SC2 looks better on the new platforms, but there really isn't anything out there now that plays better or represents a signifant jump in the genre since this game came out.

There were more launch titles for this system, but that is the quick highlights of what I would say were the most influential launch games for the DC.
Closed Thread PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page